Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m happy for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think the supports in this game really miss that five year time skip. There’s much less character growth happening and a lot of the rough edges to the characters that you got to see in the Academy portion of Three Houses are already gone by the time this game starts properly. Everyone is already their better selves, and there’s remarkably little conflict.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
It appears this war is going to be won by a nervous shut in having a series of panic attacks and wildly flailing at a bow string as everything dies around her. Goodness Bernie, you say you don't want to fight but your stats say otherwise.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

DC Murderverse posted:

I think the supports in this game really miss that five year time skip. There’s much less character growth happening and a lot of the rough edges to the characters that you got to see in the Academy portion of Three Houses are already gone by the time this game starts properly. Everyone is already their better selves, and there’s remarkably little conflict.

Well yeah, its a Musou title and the game expects you to know everything about the characters going in, there's not really any room for character growth when everyone playing the game has already seen it happen before.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

(chapter 9 spoilers)
lmao okay claude has officially gone full caesar. "Isn't it nice not being restrained by bureaucracy? Anyways I'm just gonna immediately deploy my shiny new army on some of these territories that don't like my new government."
He was already doing that post-VW, just a little more subtle- see the Claude/Balthus ending, where Balthus gets to be his inter-Fodlan CIA troubleshooter killing people in a country he technically has no more right to act in: "Claude frequently sent Balthus into Fódlan on missions to help quell revolts begun by Imperial loyalists." after both Claude and Balthus are now living in Almyra, Claude as King and Balthus as an Almyran military commander and son-in-law to Nader.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

This is the first musou game I've ever played, and I have no clue what I'm doing. I'm playing on normal, and I just got through the academy phase with GD. At least for the first couple of missions, it seemed super easy to get S rank just by mashing Y and X through the maps.

I did figure out that B dodges, and I think there's a way to block, but I have no idea what it is...

It took me multiple maps to realize that there's a button combo for combat arts too. And I have no idea what weapon levels, different classes, and different weapons are supposed to be doing for me.

But I'm really enjoying mashing dudes to death with axe-wielding Hilda, and she has the Friekugel now, so that's cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Does Hilda still chant her own name when she caves someone's head in?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Will Essence of Lightning work with Hilda's unique skill where her strong attacks gain lighting element effects?

Also, is there any advantage to Hard mode?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How do classes/progression work in this? Do you basically choose a path for each character on your playthrough, or is it more open and you can grind everyone in all their classes eventually if you choose?

Also, kind of curious how the multiple paths thing works with what I remember from Hyrule Warriors which is basically "You have one big save file you play forever!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tender Bender posted:

How do classes/progression work in this? Do you basically choose a path for each character on your playthrough, or is it more open and you can grind everyone in all their classes eventually if you choose?

The latter. You can also reset people to level 1 and level them up in different classes if you're unhappy with how their initial growths shook out, or if you want to level them in a different build/role.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tender Bender posted:

Also, kind of curious how the multiple paths thing works with what I remember from Hyrule Warriors which is basically "You have one big save file you play forever!"

For the first question, you can basically grind out every class on a single character. You can swap class at any time and unlock new classes by purchasing a seal of the appropriate level in the item shop. You work through “trees” of classes through several levels but can swap to anything previously unlocked and go down another path at will.

For the second, I’m not sure but imagine you have a single file you can use to do an NG+ in another route like in 3 houses

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Will Essence of Lightning work with Hilda's unique skill where her strong attacks gain lighting element effects?

They say they do, and I think I've seen Essence of Light affect Constance's ZR but it's hard to tell.

EDIT: Whoops, no I misread it, it does not say they affect Action Abilities.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 25, 2022

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Inu posted:

I did figure out that B dodges, and I think there's a way to block, but I have no idea what it is...

It's the left trigger. If you time it right you stagger the enemy with a perfect block, which is nice, but the fact that you can't interrupt your own combo animations to block means I can never time it right without just standing there idle waiting for the enemy to attack first. And it feels wrong in a musou to not be mashing attacks at all times so I never do that.

mabels big day posted:

The tutorial message says you get better rewards, and you do get more EXP by virtue of all the enemies being higher level than your party. But it also doesn't seem like those better weapon rewards are necessary if you're on Normal anyways, so I think it's just what you want your experience to be. I've been just turning it to Hard when I go back and cleanup old missions for S ranks since at that point I'm hugely overleveled for the Normal version.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah the hard rewards kind of just seem like they are there so when you play on hard you get something from it. As someone doing so, it absolutely is hard, your units can get shredded if you're not careful, a chapter 5 fight in particular in SB knocked out two of my characters. I'm not sure if it's 'worth' it over normal, normal feels too easy but this is quite the challenge from normal. :shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also for people new to Musous, most of your money is for leveling people up at the trainer. Do so liberally, do not try to only level people up by use in battle. That'll really bite you when you hit battles with restrictions and you can actually use your whole roster.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I ask because there was literally 0 reason to do Hard modes on Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. Im having more fun on hard for now so i'll be happy with just a tiny reward for doing it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there a "best" way to spend your smithing stones and activity points? I'm still early in the game so I can't tell how important renown is going to be, and if it's worth doing chores vs. the buffs you get from meals (though at this stage of the game, those buffs don't blow me away either). Also can't tell if I should be trying to upgrade my facilities as fast as possible by spending stones for building materials, or if upgrading weapons gets more bang for your buck (in games like these, i live in eternal fear of fully upgrading a weapon, and then immediately finding a better one for free, so i haven't been bothering yet, just sort of repairing rusted weapons and hoping for the best.

I've also hit the bottleneck in the training ground where everyone is maxed on their intermediate class, but I can't unlock advanced classes yet, so that's a little annoying for my specific brain; guess i'll just train them in all the basic classes until I advance the plot a bit more and hope I get to advanced classes before I run out of those.

Really enjoying the game though, I like what they've done with it. Definitely manages to feel like fire emblem and musou at the same time.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

At what point are advanced classes easily accessible?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RoyalScion posted:

It's more the class than anything, although his unique skill is strong. Swordmaster is pretty rad.

On hard though he joined at lvl 15 when all the enemies were like 30+ though :effort:

Enemies are basically always gonna be higher level than you on hard. Upgrading your weapons once the blacksmith opens up makes a big difference

Also the training grounds let you spend some money to level up characters that have fallen behind

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 25, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mabels big day posted:

At what point are advanced classes easily accessible?

Chapter 7 is when you start getting seals, Chapter 8 is when you drown in them

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zore posted:

Also for people new to Musous, most of your money is for leveling people up at the trainer. Do so liberally, do not try to only level people up by use in battle. That'll really bite you when you hit battles with restrictions and you can actually use your whole roster.

Incorrect, in this game money is for upgrading people at the tactics trainer. That stuff gets expensive if you like to use all the characters.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Evil Canadian posted:

Wow, Holst. They talked him up in Three Houses so much and they don't disappoint once they finally give him to you in this game. Dude straight up feels like Lu Bu compared to everyone else you have when you can play him.

His unique action is awesome, since it gives you more attack speed and adds the lightning element to his attacks. In addition, Holst is good on both sides of the physical/magical attack spectrum, as he learns all three lightning-elemental spells + Sagittae and Seraphim and can use enhanced versions of them if he uses his Unique Action or equips Essence of Lightning from Warlock + he learns every lightning-based combat art in the game, so you're not locked out of his elemental specialization (even if you decide to use him in other classes); and it also means that Holst is able to use the full potential of the Mortal Savant class compared to other units. It also helps that since Holst starts as a Swordmaster, he naturally starts at B Sword rank which makes his sword movesets a lot faster than your other sword-using units.

Speaking of; moveset progression in this game is tied to your character's weapon rank. I haven't completely maxed out the weapon rank, but I think it's basically like this:

E: Basic YYYY attack string. three Strong Attacks in addition to the class's Class Action for that weapon, for a total of four C#s.
D: Basic attack string for that weapon type improved to YYYYY.
C: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of five C#s
C+: Basic attack string for that weapon type improved to YYYYYY
B: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of six C#s
B+: Basic attack string maxed out at YYYYYYY
A: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of seven C#s

There's also a passive effect connected to increasing your weapon rank: Movesets using that weapon type have increased attack speed meaning that combos and attacks you used before that were liable to miss will now connect much better and give you better time to react (i.e. a character with B rank tomes will, in addition to having the expanded moveset, attack faster with all the Tome-using classes than a character with E rank does). It is also possible that it improves upon other things as well. The Monk > Priest > Bishop moveset for example is a lot better to use with B or B+ rank Tomes than when it was at E rank as the higher attack speed means that it is much easier to connect with stuff like C3 or C5, gripes I had with that moveset before.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

His unique action is awesome, since it gives you more attack speed and adds the lightning element to his attacks. In addition, Holst is good on both sides of the physical/magical attack spectrum, as he learns all three lightning-elemental spells + Sagittae and Seraphim and can use enhanced versions of them if he uses his Unique Action or equips Essence of Lightning from Warlock + he learns every lightning-based combat art in the game, so you're not locked out of his elemental specialization (even if you decide to use him in other classes); and it also means that Holst is able to use the full potential of the Mortal Savant class compared to other units. It also helps that since Holst starts as a Swordmaster, he naturally starts at B Sword rank which makes his sword movesets a lot faster than your other sword-using units.

Speaking of; moveset progression in this game is tied to your character's weapon rank. I haven't completely maxed out the weapon rank, but I think it's basically like this:

E: Basic YYYY attack string. three Strong Attacks in addition to the class's Class Action for that weapon, for a total of four C#s.
C: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of five C#s
B: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of six C#s
A: New Strong Attack added to all movesets using that weapon type, for a total of seven C#s

There's also a passive effect connected to increasing your weapon rank: Movesets using that weapon type have increased attack speed meaning that combos and attacks you used before that were liable to miss will now connect much better and give you better time to react (i.e. a character with B rank tomes will, in addition to having the expanded moveset, attack faster with all the Tome-using classes than a character with E rank does). It is also possible that it improves upon other things as well. The Monk > Priest > Bishop moveset for example is a lot better to use with B or B+ rank Tomes than when it was at E rank as the higher attack speed means that it is much easier to connect with stuff like C3 or C5, gripes I had with that moveset before.

This is very good to know. Is there a way to improve weapon rank outside of progressing to a more advanced class?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Folt The Bolt posted:

Thank you, would never have figured this out on my own.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

mabels big day posted:

This is very good to know. Is there a way to improve weapon rank outside of progressing to a more advanced class?

No, but you only need to advance in one class that uses that weapon type to improve your rank (so, like, Myrmidon > Thief > Assassin > Trickster and Myrmidon > Mercenary > Sword Master > Mortal Savant are both equally valid progressions to get your weapon rank high enough, and that will help you if you decide to advance in the other line because you then have improved attack speed and the entire moveset of the class unlocked for you to play with right from the start). About the only thing that stays with a class is the Class Action, so if you decided to class back down to Monk, you would have the basic non-chargeable Luminance class action that Priest and Bishop improve upon; but you would keep your entire expanded moveset and the increased attack speed.

Another thing to note is that with moveset progression being tied to weapon rank, it means class movesets that lack Advanced or Master variants will never be cheated out of a full moveset.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Much fan art passes through my Twitter but this is the only one I felt an unstoppable compulsion to share

I am sorry

https://twitter.com/tagasaing/status/1540353849873285121?s=21&t=Y6t7qLAHTvM6PINgiBq5mQ

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I watched some trailers and I'm kinda hyped for this, but I'm also feeling like maybe playing through three houses again. I did Golden Deer my first time, maybe I'll see why everyone loves Dimitri. Is New Game + pretty fast if I don't focus on grinding/minmaxing my perfect units?

Kanos posted:

The latter. You can also reset people to level 1 and level them up in different classes if you're unhappy with how their initial growths shook out, or if you want to level them in a different build/role.

Deltasquid posted:

For the first question, you can basically grind out every class on a single character. You can swap class at any time and unlock new classes by purchasing a seal of the appropriate level in the item shop. You work through “trees” of classes through several levels but can swap to anything previously unlocked and go down another path at will.

For the second, I’m not sure but imagine you have a single file you can use to do an NG+ in another route like in 3 houses

Thank you!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People like Dmitri????

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I love three houses, but it’s always gonna be pretty slow unfortunately, you have to do all of part 1 and it’s the same on every path.

That said, ng+ on normal/casual is trivially easy, I’m pretty sure byleth could win most battles on their own if you wanted to try. So no need to spend too much time worrying about optimizing your units or whatever, just let byleth be a supersoldier/musou character and do whatever for the rest of them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like Dimitri but in the sense that he's an interesting character, not in the sense that I think he's likable necessarily

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

He is a very good King of Delusion.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Spending gold on leveling? PFH! I'll send level 20 Monica and Bernadetta into combat against level 60s and they'll like it!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think even more important than buying levels is making sure to upgrade the might on your weapons. You could be 10+ levels below an enemy but if your weapon is upgraded you'll still be able to do decent damage to them.
Related to that, make a beeline for the blacksmith upgrade that increases the amount of might that upgrading adds to weapons. It's especially good because it automatically applies the boost to any pre-upgraded weapons that drop afterwards.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I liked insane suicidal madman timeskip Dimitri from the original but mostly normal good boy Dimitri in this game is kinda boring.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

People like Dmitri????

Maybe my perception is warped, there's a few goons I know on Twitter who frequently reference how they want to protect their favorite PTSD addled boy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I love three houses, but it’s always gonna be pretty slow unfortunately, you have to do all of part 1 and it’s the same on every path.

That said, ng+ on normal/casual is trivially easy, I’m pretty sure byleth could win most battles on their own if you wanted to try. So no need to spend too much time worrying about optimizing your units or whatever, just let byleth be a supersoldier/musou character and do whatever for the rest of them.

Thanks, might load it up tonight and see how far I go.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Harrow posted:

I like Dimitri but in the sense that he's an interesting character, not in the sense that I think he's likable necessarily

Yeah it's this, he's an interesting character for the narrative but even here where his insanity is almost entirely subdued I still don't think he'd make a particularly good king long term and is far from the best thing for Fodhlan post-peace.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I liked insane suicidal madman timeskip Dimitri from the original but mostly normal good boy Dimitri in this game is kinda boring.

I'm holding out hope that the game will use Dimitri being less off the rails to actually explore his relationship with Edelgard a bit more. Since here he's not totally convinced she's behind Duscar and more just kinda suspects she might know something, they might actually be able to have something approaching a normal chat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dimitri going off the rails is why he's fun so the game seemingly skipping that part is making Azure Gleam a pretty low priority route imo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well lol Azure Gleam spoilers I guess from Chapter 9 Just as I say it would be cool for Dimitri and Edelgard to have a chat, Thales shows up and turns Edelgard into a crest zombie. I am... very skeptical to put it mildly of the decision to sideline Edelgard as the primary threat but maybe they'll do something with it. If this poo poo just turns into "Dimitri rescues helpless Edelgard from the slithers and then they bury the hatchet" I'm gonna be extremely salty to put it mildly though. Also where the gently caress is Hubert?!

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sounds like I’ll be playing AG solely for Seteth and Flayn content, since you don’t appear to get them anywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Augus posted:

I think even more important than buying levels is making sure to upgrade the might on your weapons. You could be 10+ levels below an enemy but if your weapon is upgraded you'll still be able to do decent damage to them.
Related to that, make a beeline for the blacksmith upgrade that increases the amount of might that upgrading adds to weapons. It's especially good because it automatically applies the boost to any pre-upgraded weapons that drop afterwards.

Sadly it does not apply to previously forged weapons and the game will try you to reset them, be careful.

Also I feel like the game wants you to choose a specific squad, because if you funnel all your money on levelling you won't have enough for tactics (which are insanely good boosts), repairing (which gives you already forged weapons and monsters give them by wazoo) and maybe facilities? (which are the biggest priority over everything).