Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Immortal X-Men was so great, I love the Destiny narration. Only thing to nitpick was Emma saying that Storm wouldn't be available for this meeting, except we still see her in some of the panels; probably an art mistake.

No Prize: It's Storm. She made it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah. Destiny is in a precarious situation where she has to figure out how to stop Sinister without alerting him to the fact that she knows. It's a brilliant bit of plot development, and I can't wait to see how it shakes out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fuckin Sinister. :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Doesn't this mean they're all doomed once those Moira clones die a natural death or fall off of a bridge? I suppose they could probably work around that if it's just like a comatose moira in a tube. There would probably not be much moral animus towards just somehow passing her into the last half-hour of the universe and briefly confusing Mr. Immortal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

Doesn't this mean they're all doomed once those Moira clones die a natural death or fall off of a bridge? I suppose they could probably work around that if it's just like a comatose moira in a tube. There would probably not be much moral animus towards just somehow passing her into the last half-hour of the universe and briefly confusing Mr. Immortal.

I assume Sinister has a system for removing their powers once they stop being useful.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The save scumming thing seems to contradict what they established about Moira's powers wiping out the universe, unless I missed some dialogue about Sinister altering it or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The save scumming thing seems to contradict what they established about Moira's powers wiping out the universe, unless I missed some dialogue about Sinister altering it or something.
I think the idea is that Moira's powers do wipe out the universe in this context. However, Mr. Sinister has figured out how to use this to save himself time and hassle.

The way it works if I recall is: He wakes up and activates a Moira, and he puts his memories or a data log or something in her, and then kills her, ending that timeline. He's doing this every day so if one day he wakes up a Moira with memories other than what his records indicate she should have, something happened and he can review that information.

Yes, this probably technically makes Mr. Sinister history's greatest monster, but from another perspective the Mr. Sinister who does this ALSO destroys history's greatest monster.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
presumably he later splices moira's x-gene into himself. otherwise, his own death wouldn't cause a restart.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Nessus posted:

I think the idea is that Moira's powers do wipe out the universe in this context. However, Mr. Sinister has figured out how to use this to save himself time and hassle.

The way it works if I recall is: He wakes up and activates a Moira, and he puts his memories or a data log or something in her, and then kills her, ending that timeline. He's doing this every day so if one day he wakes up a Moira with memories other than what his records indicate she should have, something happened and he can review that information.

Yes, this probably technically makes Mr. Sinister history's greatest monster, but from another perspective the Mr. Sinister who does this ALSO destroys history's greatest monster.

Yeah, it makes sense that it would suit him fine, but I always thought it was a given that Moira wasn't gonna die and reset the timeline again because it wouldn't be 616 anymore. It'd be one of several splinter realities, depending on how much Sinister does it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
On somewhat of a sidenote, was there ever some specific thing that happened to Rogue so that she's able to absorb powers now without hurting people? I feel like it's been a while since we had a whole "DON'T TOUCH ME, MAH POWWERS ARE A CURSE!!!11" scene with her. Did something actually happen to adjust her powers, or is it just a matter of her being really good at controlling it now?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yeah, it makes sense that it would suit him fine, but I always thought it was a given that Moira wasn't gonna die and reset the timeline again because it wouldn't be 616 anymore. It'd be one of several splinter realities, depending on how much Sinister does it.
This is probably a lot of what's loving with Destiny tbf

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

Immortal X-Men was so great, I love the Destiny narration. Only thing to nitpick was Emma saying that Storm wouldn't be available for this meeting, except we still see her in some of the panels; probably an art mistake.

echoing this except my pet nitpick is the issue reiterating how Destiny has been blind since she was a child, but she's drawn doing a whole lot of looking at things, which is fine since future sight and decades of experience being blind and all that but then she has a Manhattan Project evidence board she is staring at contemplatively (then joined by Raven in sheer lingerie that I guess is more for the benefit of Irene's past self :classiclol: )

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Protagorean posted:

echoing this except my pet nitpick is the issue reiterating how Destiny has been blind since she was a child, but she's drawn doing a whole lot of looking at things, which is fine since future sight and decades of experience being blind and all that but then she has a Manhattan Project evidence board she is staring at contemplatively (then joined by Raven in sheer lingerie that I guess is more for the benefit of Irene's past self :classiclol: )
no-prize explanation: the precognitive vision is interpreted through the same parts of the brain as regular vision so there is a natural sense of 'orienting your face towards a subject of consideration,' even if you are actually observing the object as it exists in five seconds, which is functionally the same for most purposes as how it exists now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BrianWilly posted:

On somewhat of a sidenote, was there ever some specific thing that happened to Rogue so that she's able to absorb powers now without hurting people? I feel like it's been a while since we had a whole "DON'T TOUCH ME, MAH POWWERS ARE A CURSE!!!11" scene with her. Did something actually happen to adjust her powers, or is it just a matter of her being really good at controlling it now?

There was a whole thing, IIRC, in Mr. & Mrs. X-Man, where she ended up with greater control over her powers and the ability to use them at range.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it has happened a few times, but she eventually reverts

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Also IIRC she still has traces of Ms. Marvel's and Wonder Man's powers inside her, hence the natural ability to fly and hit like a brick.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The explanation they've given is that every Moira death has been in the 616. She's not creating alternate realities, she's just resetting that one. I don't think Sinister's poo poo is changing that.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Moreover, Sinister's Moiras were all born post-Krakoa.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

Say what you will about Hitler, but he's the only person who killed Hitler.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Xavier helped her get control over her power in Mike Carey's Legacy of X, but she's not 100% her level of control has gone back and forth quite a bit since then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Say what you will about Hitler, but he's the only person who killed Hitler.
But he also killed the only person who ever killed Hitler. So it's a wash.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Fuckin Sinister. :allears:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Rogue's level of control has certainly varied over the years, but lately have been pretty well under control - not least of which because "MAH POWERS ARE A CURSE!" doesn't entirely gibe with the mood in the "look how awesome it is to be a mutant" Krakoa era.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Rogue's level of control has certainly varied over the years, but lately have been pretty well under control - not least of which because "MAH POWERS ARE A CURSE!" doesn't entirely gibe with the mood in the "look how awesome it is to be a mutant" Krakoa era.

This probably has been discussed but what are the ethics for resurrecting Rogue with her powers being on-contact vs something she can control? I’m assuming that would be an easy enough switch if Quinten gets all the body mods he wants. On a related note….have we seen Chamber during Krakoa era?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
briefly. he was kidnapped by aim and then rescued.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Chamber has a habit of reblowing his face off. I mean, it’s happened twice which isn’t a lot but it’s weird it happened twice.

He also went to space with the New Mutants and Mondo.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

As youngin’ with only a cursory knowledge of sex I always wondered why Rogue and Gambit didn’t just go to Reed Richards and get some gently caress suits made from unstable molecules or something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bulgaroctonus posted:

As youngin’ with only a cursory knowledge of sex I always wondered why Rogue and Gambit didn’t just go to Reed Richards and get some gently caress suits made from unstable molecules or something.
Massachusetts Academy alum spotted

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

^^ I have no idea what that means but I’m surprised Claremont didn’t find some way to work in light bondage gear of unstable molecules for her. I guess if Storm ever got Rogues power we’d have got an answer :/

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rogue is about to have a whole new problem after this week's Knights of X Gambit died in Otherworld

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I guess you could say he Gambit it

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

The fact that Reed hasn’t made “barely there” condoms or even attempted to corner the clothing market is the most unbelievable part of Fantastic Four. Any white male with power (and powers) as well as those smarts and inventions in the 60s was obviously going to take the capitalist route. Actually didn’t Reed say that he didn’t share the unstable fabric because of how much it would hurt the economy?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Rogue is about to have a whole new problem after this week's Knights of X Gambit died in Otherworld

I have a very strong suspicion that they're going to use the Siege Perilous to "cure" the people who have died in Otherworld

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Boo this development. Booooo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Endless Mike posted:

I have a very strong suspicion that they're going to use the Siege Perilous to "cure" the people who have died in Otherworld

That would kinda suck!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gologle posted:

That would kinda suck!

would it?

basically nothing has been done with the characters that happened to.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
every time reed lets his technology out someone wildly misuses it in dangerous ways. he can't build a toaster without someone using that to build Toastron The Annihilator.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it was just a single panel, not something that was ever developed or followed up on, where Reed said the F4s wealth came from bribes from various auto companies and other technology companies not to release his inventions that would make their products obsolete.

Probably for the best that's been memory holed otherwise we'd have to deal with Richards being the reason we're not gonna have polar bears anymore.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I think it was just a single panel, not something that was ever developed or followed up on, where Reed said the F4s wealth came from bribes from various auto companies and other technology companies not to release his inventions that would make their products obsolete.

Probably for the best that's been memory holed otherwise we'd have to deal with Richards being the reason we're not gonna have polar bears anymore.
Yeah, I could buy "I didn't rush all this poo poo out because the disruptions are going to be significant and I do not want a hundred thousand unemployed auto workers to beat Ben to death while screaming ethnic slurs" as a reason to not rush everything out the door, but it's probably better to either ignore it or say something like "thanks to Reed (et al.) things are actually meaningfully if not drastically better, but supervillain schemes also made things worse, so the net result is comparable to the real world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
When you combine those two reasons, you get the Big Bad in Planetary!