Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

How does popularity decide if there's a crack down or not?

They usually just always start with that by default, and then see what happens. If the voters don't like it, they will often tone it down and switch towards engaging and convincing ordinary people that actually the protestors are bad because, again, they want to be re-elected.

If the people don't care or occasionally even support the crackdown (eg there's usually no sympathy whatsoever for people blocking traffic no matter what the cause is), then they will escalate until the protestors finally have had enough and either switch tactics or give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rigel posted:

They usually just always start with that by default, and then see what happens. If the voters don't like it, they will often tone it down and switch towards engaging and convincing ordinary people that actually the protestors are bad because, again, they want to be re-elected.

If the people don't care or occasionally even support the crackdown (eg there's usually no sympathy whatsoever for people blocking traffic no matter what the cause is), then they will escalate until the protestors finally have had enough and either switch tactics or give up

Under your definition, what happens when the politicians don't care? IE they can just say "vote for us or you get the bad guys".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Public demonstrations have a much longer history than what we have seen in the US for the last 30 years. The idea can be to frighten power into considering what will happen if they don’t make some concessions. American thought has embraced a warped, neutered idea of what demonstrations are from the miseducation we receive about the civil rights movement and how it operated and won.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They need to pack the court and almost certainly can’t.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

Under your definition, what happens when the politicians don't care? IE they can just say "vote for us or you get the bad guys".

They either lose their election and are removed from office (or they are arrested for criming) or they aren't.

With a few exceptions, you generally aren't going to convince those in power to change with words and persuasion independent and unrelated to electoral implications. They generally only care about staying in power, that is it, nothing else really matters. If the protest becomes popular and they see that opposing it might cost them votes, they may change into blue jeans and a T-shirt with the slogan and march with you, while making sure a TV camera is nearby to show the voters that they care.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zero_Grade posted:

The map being somewhat favorable is the only reason I have any hope for the Senate. For the swing races:

AZ: Mark Kelly is the less controversial of the two Arizona senators, and is fairly well-liked overall. Remains to be seen who his final opponent is, but none of the candidates seem particularly remarkable and he's way way up right now.
GA: Warnock lucked out with Herschel Walker getting the nom, that's winnable if the turnout machine works as well as it did in 2020. Also helps that Walker and his idiot son seem determined to continue to put themselves out there at every possible opportunity. Very narrow despite all that because Georgia lol.
CO: Bennet is not exciting, but Colorado has swung far enough blue at this point I think it's safe.
FL: Unfortunately the Florida Dem party is a fuckin' mess, so Rubio is gonna walk away with this one.
MO: The incumbent Blunt is retiring, but I don't see this as a pickup.
NC: Another incumbent retiring, with a closer race. This would be a really nice pickup, but I'm not seeing it especially in an off year. Still fairly close at the moment for what that's worth.
NH: Hassan's gonna keep it.
NV: I don't know how to call this one. Can the incumbency advantage overcome the midterm disadvantage in a slightly blue state? Polls seem to be all over the place right now.
OH: Similar to Florida as another big state trending more and more red, but nobody on the right seems to actually like JD Vance. Tim Ryan is a shitass centrist, but he may be able to eke this one out. Too early to know, but a great race to be pessimistic on!
PA: Like Georgia, this is another one where the Dems lucked out by having a looney toon nominated on the other side, plus the more progressive blue candidate won. Fetterman's walking away with it, plus as the larger candidate, he could simply eat the smaller candidate.
WI: One of the other big hopes for a Dem +1. Primary isn't until August however.

In summary: still too early to get reads on some key races, but there's hope to gain mayyybe two seats, four if you're wildly optimistic (in which case, expect Chris Coons, Sherrod Brown, Jon Tester, and/or Tim Kaine to start whining about progressives, probably in that order).

My best guess at this point is that the Dems pick up PA and maybe WI; lose NV, AZ & GA, and the rest of the Senate seats remain the same.

Civiqs currently has AZ's approval of Biden as 28-62 :sad: ; NV as 32-57; GA as 28-59; and WI as 36-55. PA is 33-55, but the Fetman's lead is p. strong in current polling, while the other states have the Dem Senate candidate polling at ties, at best.

Best case scenario I see is a wash, which means that co-presidents Manchin & Sinema still block anything of value.

I don't see inflation/economic metrics getting better before November, and I don't see abortion moving the needle that much, given the polling we've discussed upthread. Things (and polls) could still change, but time's running out for an election a little more than four months from now.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Rigel posted:

They either lose their election and are removed from office (or they are arrested for criming) or they aren't.

With a few exceptions, you generally aren't going to convince those in power to change with words and persuasion independent and unrelated to electoral implications. They generally only care about staying in power, that is it, nothing else really matters. If the protest becomes popular and they see that opposing it might cost them votes, they may change into blue jeans and a T-shirt with the slogan and march with you, while making sure a TV camera is nearby to show the voters that they care.

If, as you say, all they care about is staying in power, then we need to hit them where it hurts and withhold our votes from the Democrats. If they continue to say "vote for us or you get the bad guys" then we should not vote for them.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cimber posted:

Well, the problem for the democrats is the congressional maps are stacked so heavily against them via gerrymandering that they need an inherit +5 swing to break even.

That and, ya know, not delivering on campaign promises and continually moving to the right for the last 50 years.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

theCalamity posted:

If, as you say, all they care about is staying in power, then we need to hit them where it hurts and withhold our votes from the Democrats. If they continue to say "vote for us or you get the bad guys" then we should not vote for them.
Go ahead! Throw your vote away to the fascists who will beat them from your lack of vote!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rigel posted:

But under your definition, them losing their election is bad for us! We have to vote for them no matter what! Unless you're suggesting that we should withhold our votes if they're not satisfactory?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Go ahead! Throw your vote away to the fascists who will beat them from your lack of vote!

Again, what are the Dems going to do? What is their plan? Are they going to continue to support anti-choice Democrats? Are they going to end the filibuster? Are they going to support Democrats who want to end the filibuster? All we've seen so far from the Democratic leadership is "vote harder and donate to us"

Why haven't they codified Roe in the intervening 50 years? Abortion rights have been under attack for the last five decades and the number of abortion clinics in red states have dwindled, but even as they saw that happening, the Dems did absolutely nothing to codify Roe.

Nancy Pelosi posted:

The Democratic Party should not impose support for abortion rights as a litmus test on its candidates, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Tuesday, because it needs a broad and inclusive agenda to win back the socially conservative voters who helped elect President Trump.

“This is the Democratic Party. This is not a rubber-stamp party,” Pelosi said in an interview with Washington Post reporters.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...inline_manual_3

Is that someone we need to vote for?

quote:

On Tuesday, she went further, arguing that the Democrats cannot afford to enforce an ideological test on the abortion issue.

“In our caucus, one thing unifies us: our values about working families,” Pelosi said. “Some people are more or less enthusiastic about this issue or that issue or that issue. They’ll go along with the program, but their enthusiasm is about America’s working families.”

She also suggested that the party’s presumed rigidity on social issues is one reason that Democrats were unable to appeal to segments of the electorate that might otherwise have been in tune with their broader agenda.

“You know what? That’s why Donald Trump is president of the United States — the evangelicals and the Catholics, anti-marriage equality, anti-choice. That’s how he got to be president,” she said. “Everything was trumped, literally and figuratively by that.”

This is the leader of the House saying that she is willing to throw us under the bus if it means that they can get into power/stay in power. Why should I vote for someone like her?

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 25, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fister Roboto posted:

But under your definition, them losing their election is bad for us! We have to vote for them no matter what! Unless you're suggesting that we should withhold our votes if they're not satisfactory?

personally i think people should not vote for lovely candidates and should vote for candidates that are neutral-good

I would also question who tf was voting for lovely candidates before this? Is that a thing people here do?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Public demonstrations have a much longer history than what we have seen in the US for the last 30 years. The idea can be to frighten power into considering what will happen if they don’t make some concessions. American thought has embraced a warped, neutered idea of what demonstrations are from the miseducation we receive about the civil rights movement and how it operated and won.

Yeah without that unspoken "or else" the ruling class typically just watches the cops lob tear gas into the crowd and laughs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm just flabbergasted that someone here thinks that the whole point of mass demonstrations is to get people to vote. Guess what: if you've got a mass of people, you already have enough people to vote!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 25, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm just flabbergasted that someone here thinks that the whole point of mass demonstrations is to get people to vote. Guess what: if you've got a mass of people, you already have enough people to vote!

It pretty unambiguously is about voting at a certain point. More precisely it's about taking, holding, and ultimately using political power, which generally requires elections and candidates and voting whether we're talking about present day or after some hypothetical left wing revolution. You'd still going to be voting then, too. Transforming street-movements into political power has historically been one of the big sticking points for aspiring political factions. Left wing groups in particular really struggle here for reasons ranging from the green party's desire to not deal with national politics (a desire that led to multiple splits), to anarchists eschewing the level of organization necessary for their goals. Conversely a lot of marxists feel that nothing will change by voting... so they tend to not convert their movements into political power very effectively, at least in the last couple decades.

Like getting abortion rights codified in law and abortions themselves performed by licensed, state regulated providers is fundamentally a political goal in terms of how it can be accomplished. For better or for worse, mutual aid and unions will do basically nothing to get the country legal, regulated abortions. (with a small caveat here that unions can push for medically necessary travel compensation as a key part health care bargaining, which would be unambiguously good, but also that only can cover the ~10% of americans that are in unions and additionally it is still at the whim of national laws concerning abortion).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Like he's less popular, but that framing you used is wilfully ignoring the bigger picture. Black voters are the core dem constituency more than anything else.

I'm not denying that black voters are the core Dem constituency; of course they are. My point is that the Democrats have badly dropped the ball on outreach among non-white eligible voters overall over the past two presidential election cycles. The percentage of non-white voters who turned out declined a bit in 2012, dropped significantly in 2016, and then recovered in 2020 but still lagged badly behind white turnout. There are a number of reasons why the Dems did much worse than expected among Latino voters in 2020 (as well as numerous reasons for why treating them as a monolithic group is laughably wrong-headed, of course), but the lack of an outreach strategy was certainly a big part of it. Latino activists and campaign staffers were warning about it throughout the campaign. I don't see much evidence that they've done all that much to turn this around for the midterms, but it's possible I've missed a thing or two. I hope for the Dems' sake that I have missed something, because they're going to need absolutely every voter in their broader coalition to turn out for them in November or they're screwed. The biggest threat to their majority in Congress isn't voters turning out for the Republicans; it's voters just not turning out at all.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 25, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Boiling it down to the most basic level a mass protest is the message of "Hey, there's (x amount) of us and you're just some idiot in a big house. This scenario has the potential to go extremely badly for you."

Of course decades of propaganda obsfucated that until it became "Everyone stands outside the big house for a while, respectfully, before saluting our troops and the flag and going home."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It pretty unambiguously is about voting at a certain point. More precisely it's about taking, holding, and ultimately using political power, which generally requires elections and candidates and voting whether we're talking about present day or after some hypothetical left wing revolution. You'd still going to be voting then, too. Transforming street-movements into political power has historically been one of the big sticking points for aspiring political factions. Left wing groups in particular really struggle here for reasons ranging from the green party's desire to not deal with national politics (a desire that led to multiple splits), to anarchists eschewing the level of organization necessary for their goals. Conversely a lot of marxists feel that nothing will change by voting... so they tend to not convert their movements into political power very effectively, at least in the last couple decades.

Like getting abortion rights codified in law and abortions themselves performed by licensed, state regulated providers is fundamentally a political goal in terms of how it can be accomplished. For better or for worse, mutual aid and unions will do basically nothing to get the country legal, regulated abortions. (with a small caveat here that unions can push for medically necessary travel compensation as a key part health care bargaining, which would be unambiguously good, but also that only can cover the ~10% of americans that are in unions and additionally it is still at the whim of national laws concerning abortion).

Yes but convincing people to vote is not the sole purpose of demonstrations which is what Rigel seems to be arguing.

I already explained what I think the purpose of demonstrations is, and it's to demonstrate that there is a large number of loud and angry people who will not stop being loud and angry until their demands are met. If their demands are met by voting, then yeah, that's great. But very often they are not, or they are met by some other means.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 25, 2022

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I doubt they'll do the right thing, but expanding the Supreme Court is a simple majority vote.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Grouchio posted:

And what has the anti fascist party done for us other than let the fascist party continue to dismantle this country?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

FlapYoJacks posted:

And what has the anti fascist party done for us other than let the fascist party continue to dismantle this country?
Again you can always compare how things are going in red states vs blue states to see what the faster track to fascism looks like. The complete defeat of the democratic party could and would be worse than where we are now, and there are still many programs and policies that are worth defending, even if it's a losing fight for now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Again you can always compare how things are going in red states vs blue states to see what the faster track to fascism looks like. The complete defeat of the democratic party could and would be worse than where we are now, and there are still many programs and policies that are worth defending, even if it's a losing fight for now.

Let’s look at California where I live.

Rent is astronomical with no relief in sight
Gas is more expensive than any other state in the continental US
The state burns down all year long now
Our response to COVID was horrendous.
Homelessness is so bad there are literally Hoovervilles.

It’s not terribly much different than Boise (where I used to live.)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

George Floyd was killed by a cop in a blue city in a blue state.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not to get all "decadent westerners" but lmao at politics-addict americans acting like it's imminent or ongoing. This year in my wife's home country, there was a revolt against 30 years of right-wing dictatorship that ended with live rounds, russian contractors for the government, and hundreds of corpses. Still no civil war. Consider what risking your life, your loved ones lives, your city, actually entails.

Our protests are still appalled by tear gas. We can't conceive of worse cops or prisons that what we've got. Most people have never seen a corpse. American Exceptionalism.txt

Things are nowhere near civil war. People far more desperate than the american working class still aren't willing to fight civil wars. Indeed US people have been claiming imminent civil war since 1876, and it's been about as true as Most Important Election Ever.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Have Some Flowers! posted:

In cities controlled by Democrats in states controlled by Democrats, we have seen police budgets rise to astronomical heights and seen them brutalize the people they are there to protect. In New York, we have seen them search mostly black and brown people more than white people, even when it supposedly ended. And despite the amount of stop and frisks have dropped in recent years, they still disproportionately target black and brown people over white people. In New York! Also in New York, we saw the cops threaten a Mayor's daughter and nothing happened. People tend to forget that BLM started while Obama was president.

At the border, we have Kamala telling refugees not to come to America. We have let white refugees from Ukraine come in, but black and brown refugees have to stay because of the racist Title 42. Thankfully, Biden got rid of it, but Democrats are trying to get it reinstated. how many times have the Democrats capitulated to fascist dogwhistles regarding the border? Too many by my count. And from the lips of Pelosi herself, as recently as 2017, she thinks that the Democrats shouldn't make ideological causes the focus of the party so that they can get more conservative votes.

The Democrats are not going to fight fascism. They will welcome it albeit their own version of it. They engage in blue fascism.

theCalamity fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 25, 2022

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Let’s look at California where I live.

Rent is astronomical with no relief in sight
Gas is more expensive than any other state in the continental US
The state burns down all year long now
Our response to COVID was horrendous.
Homelessness is so bad there are literally Hoovervilles.

It’s not terribly much different than Boise (where I used to live.)

Abortion rights and LGBT rights are not going to be restricted in CA. They may well be in Idaho.

Edit: the highest gas prices are also, in part, because CA has stricter environmental regulations than other states.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 25, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Abortion rights and LGBT rights are not going to be restricted in CA. They may well be in Idaho.

Well, if you can afford them.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Well, if you can afford them.

Abortions and LGBT rights in CA are only for those who can afford them?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

If their demands are met by voting, then yeah, that's great. But very often they are not, or they are met by some other means.

If their demands are not going to be met by voting, then that means they are unpopular, the politicians and people in power will not fear or care about them at all, and there will not be ends met by "other means". Your "other means" (unless you are talking a serious going for broke violent revolution) would result in a lot of people being chased by the FBI and going to prison for a long time, sharing cells with the 1/6 insurrection idiots.

I'm beginning to realize that some people here actually think they can intimidate the people in power to give them what they want outside of elections. no, they won't fear you and they won't care. That is naive.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

DeadlyMuffin posted:

this is a hilarious sentiment considering it took the supreme court ruling on hollingsworth v perry to fully overturn a statewide ban on my right to marry that was still standing less than a decade ago and that my fellow californians voted for in the same election they voted for progressive hero barack obama

i'm not so shortsighted that i believe it couldn't happen again to me or more realistically any one of my friends who have it worse than me who everyone wants to gently caress over

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Edit: the highest gas prices are also, in part, because CA has stricter environmental regulations than other states.

Good job ignoring all but one point. Also, proposition 8 was a thing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rigel posted:

I'm beginning to realize that some people here actually think they can intimidate the people in power to give them what they want outside of elections. no, they won't fear you and they won't care. That is naive.

This is doomerism. All of recorded history is full of examples of people forcing concessions from their government through mass action. You are being willfully blind to it by restricting your imagination to a simple binary of "vote or violence".

You still haven't answered my question what you would plan to do if voting wasn't an option. And that may be something to think about in a more practical sense because it might actually happen in our lifetimes.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

typhy posted:

this is a hilarious sentiment considering it took the supreme court ruling on hollingsworth v perry to fully overturn a statewide ban on my right to marry that was still standing less than a decade ago and that my fellow californians voted for in the same election they voted for progressive hero barack obama

i'm not so shortsighted that i believe it couldn't happen again to me or more realistically any one of my friends who have it worse than me who everyone wants to gently caress over

I don't disagree with any of this, and I'm not saying "it can't happen here" but arguing that there's no difference between Idaho and California in this respect is baffling.

I'm trans. In CA I have some protection.

The Idaho House of Representatives passed legislation to make it a crime punishable by life in prison for a parent to seek out gender-affirming health care for their transgender child.

CA is hilariously far from perfect, but don't tell me I'm it's the same as Idaho.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Good job ignoring all but one point. Also, proposition 8 was a thing.

I remember. I was there.

What's your point?

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm not saying "it can't happen here"

you literally textually said this, just so we're clear

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

This is doomerism. All of recorded history is full of examples of people forcing concessions from their government through mass action. You are being willfully blind to it by restricting your imagination to a simple binary of "vote or violence".

People weren't trying to oppose a mass surveillance state with shitloads of cops and soldiers armed to the teeth with modern tools and weaponry for most of recorded history

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

typhy posted:

you literally textually said this, just so we're clear

Okay, it's very unlikely to happen here, and I don't think it will. It's impossible to say it cannot, anything is possible. If it does happen in CA, it will happen far later than in red states like Idaho, giving me plenty of warning to get out of the country, or off myself.

Are you happy?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 25, 2022

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
I just wish women had the same rights as a gun.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

You still haven't answered my question what you would plan to do if voting wasn't an option. And that may be something to think about in a more practical sense because it might actually happen in our lifetimes.

Leave. If I can't leave, I keep my head down, stay out of trouble, and work on whatever is preventing me from leaving.

If a real no joke revolution is forming that seems to have a chance of success, maybe I try to help that along instead of leaving, but we seem to be avoiding that in this discussion and are instead focusing on the idea that we can somehow intimidate those in power who we can't remove through the force of angry words and vandalism. I'm not wasting my time or risking my freedom with that in your hypothetical hell nation.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ellasmith posted:

I just wish women had the same rights as a gun.

The right to be owned and carried by anyone anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Rigel posted:

Leave. If I can't leave, I keep my head down, stay out of trouble, and work on whatever is preventing me from leaving.
This is doomerism. Just straight up doomerism