Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

slidebite posted:

Cool stuff, I know nothing about that at all. No discord afaik.

Me either! I've done TKD, Taijutsu, a bit of karate that I don't remember the style of, and I currently also do longsword fencing. I've always been interested in kung fu so figured I'd give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

slidebite posted:

letting the bag swing a foot or two might be good? But wtf do I know.

Yes, that would definitely help — the kinetic energy imparted on the bag would get converted to potential energy as the center of mass of the bag swung up. Just a foot of leash slack might not do a lot, but 2 feet might help noticeably.

10 Beers posted:

Me either! I've done TKD, Taijutsu, a bit of karate that I don't remember the style of, and I currently also do longsword fencing. I've always been interested in kung fu so figured I'd give it a shot.

What are you looking to get out of hung gar? And what style/school of fencing is that?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

kimbo305 posted:

Yes, that would definitely help — the kinetic energy imparted on the bag would get converted to potential energy as the center of mass of the bag swung up. Just a foot of leash slack might not do a lot, but 2 feet might help noticeably.

I'll experiment with that - I've got is cinched with ratchet straps so it's easy to give it some slack.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

What are you looking to get out of hung gar? And what style/school of fencing is that?

The longsword stuff is HEMA, focusing on the German schools.

As for hung gar, I'm basically just looking for fun and exercise, but my friend said there's definitely self defense benefits from it, so I guess we'll see. I just really miss martial arts. I was looking for karate stuff but most of what is around here is tae kwon do. I was thinking of BJJ but I've got some iffy knees so thing like knee locks and bars would make me nervous.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Thanks for the underwear recommendations, folks. I had no fears of dangling my unmentionables to everyone on the mat. Which was an especially great blessing today as I was THE ONLY MALE ON THE MAT.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Thanks for the underwear recommendations, folks. I had no fears of dangling my unmentionables to everyone on the mat. Which was an especially great blessing today as I was THE ONLY MALE ON THE MAT.

Oof yeah those classes are weird the first few times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Literally could have been rolling balls out lol

My BB test is this sat. I'm a little stressed about it. I feel quite confident with most aspects because I've been training like a maniac and don't know what else I can do, but nevertheless there are a couple things I am less confident on. I have been practising tons on those specifically for over a week now in trying to nail them down. Basically it's the fine technique aspects at this point.

We're now on the "easy" time before the test. No hard sparring, no super hard workouts or warm ups because we do not want to risk any injuries.

Get to class, fairly mild traditional warm up (jogging/lunges/stretching), go through stuff with my partner and individual patterns, a little bit of class drills/training but nothing crazy. Handed in my training log and written component prerequisite. Training log was minimum of 99 classes for the contact period between Oct 1 and June 4. (35 weeks less 2 for Christmas/NY break which we unusually did get = 33 x 3 class min per week). I ended up at 163.

Taking Friday off work and probably won't train that day either, plan to have a good healthy dinner that night and do my best to sleep well and try not to get too much into my own head. Wake up in the morning, have a fairly high protein and carb breakfast and be ready for 3PM.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Rad! Keep us posted, man! You're gonna kill it!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

E:
Ugh hit submit waaay too early

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I had my black belt test yesterday. I'll try to detail it as best I can.

Our 1 Dan BB test is basically as follows: (junior and higher dans vary slightly, but somewhat similar)

3 Patterns/Forms. 2 are set (Choong Moo and Hwa-Rang, red belt patterns) and 1 random examiners choice which can be any previous pattern.

Pre-arranged sparring. These are 5 independent the choreographed sets of moves I mentioned earlier, the scissor take down is among them. Green and blue belts also have their own variants of 7 sets which you also need to know and can technically be asked as well.

Sparring. At least 3 sets. Peer-Peer, Peer vs Senior (so vs 1 Dan+ in my case) and 2 on 1 where you're the target (or, conversely, attacking another candidate).

Breaks. 2x power breaks (hand and foot technique) and 1 special technique. The boards are 1x12 dimensional/construction grade lumber cut to approx 10-11" lengths. The power breaks for 1 Dan males are 3x of those boards tight together. The special varies depending on what you are doing.

SO.....

Getting there I was an absolute bundle of nerves and I almost felt physically ill. We had a guest master from out of town on the judging panel as well and a gentlemen testing for his 4th with us from his school, so that threw a bit of an unexpected curve-ball. The master from out of town is a man I respect tremendously and having him up front grading me just added to everything.

Massive crowd. First real BB testing since Dec 2019. We all had introductions and bowed. I get called up, and my first problem is I am standing on the opposite end of the floor. I'm usually in the far right side as I am the most senior, but they had me on the far left. Normally, that would not be an issue... but yesterday was not a normal day. Called my first pattern, and I froze. I had a total brain fart. I stood there did the first move and I could tell immediately it was wrong. gently caress. I'm panicking now. Stop. Look at the head table, bow. Start again. Got it, but I was a bundle of nerves and it was definitely not as good as I hoped. Second pattern, did it first time, but also wasn't great but at least I didn't choke. 3 pattern, examiners choice, called a green belt pattern. I was not expecting that, I was expecting a more senior pattern. BUT, I pulled it off. Probably the best of the 3. Ugh.

Sit down and wait for our turn with the pre-arranged. We get up, start going through it. We finish up to #3 of 5 (the last being the scissor take down we were talking about a week or so ago) and as soon as we finish 3, Master interrupts and stops us. He calls out "2 step sparring, #5 attack" or something. This is green belt stuff. Totally blindsided us and out of the blue. OK. We do it. Peppers us with another one. Do it. Another one. Throws in blue belt stuff, do it that too. Then he has us to 1 step (blue) #4-7, of which 3 are take downs. I had to re-do one because I went with the wrong leg, but got it. Then he says OK. You're done. Total god drat curve ball .We were just WTF. But it's part of the test - you need to be ready for anything you've previously done and they will throw stuff at you to surprise you. And they did... and it did.

Sparring. Went against my partner who is a god drat tree. We just had at it. We were all over the floor, and we put on a show. They threw in this younger Asian kid (18?) who has a ton of natural talent and on our national sparring team who is going for his 1st Dan and they had me and my partner go after him. We were just savage. He absolutely had his hands full. They turned it around and I was the target and I moved. Basically, rule of multiple attackers: Do not stay still and do NOT get in the middle or against a wall/corner. Move continuously. Which I did and I think I was frustrating them pretty well, I only absorbed a couple good ones. We then had our senior sparring and... I had this guy who is going for his 4th from another school. I had no idea what to expect. We had a drat slugfest. He and I are physically comparable (size and age) but I held my own pretty well. I remember one move pretty vividly when we were right in front of the judges table and he was light on his toes and could tell he was going to go for a punch and just as soon as he stepped to come forward I turned and did a fast back kick. I could hear the black belts and my master cheer because it just rocked him and it was fast. Ended shortly there after, thank god. Afterwards a Jr BB going for her 1st Dan (as she is now an adult) was up and she had to do a 2 on 1. She's a petite thing but a fantastic martial artist and can be very aggressive. Master told her "pick your two opponents" which never happens. She picks the earlier mentioned Asian guy, looks down the row of other candidates and picks me as well. I was genuinely surprised she wanted me because when we spar, we go HARD, but she likes me because I challenge her. While it's great for challenging yourself, I wouldn't have picked me for a BB test as everyone is cranked up a notch in sparring. Well, she had her hands full lol. The two of us guys just were all over her and she certainly had her work cut out for her. She was pushed, hard. At the end of it all, I was a puddle of sweaty goo. Looking back on it, the rounds didn't go as long as I expected them too (they usually totally run you totally out of gas for BB testing) but it was a long day and quite a few candidates so I think they dialed back the sparring sessions to about 90 seconds or so each, which I was thankful.

Then it was time for breaks. Master has a little talk to us first and basically reminded us of a pet peeve of his. Do not stand there and line up over and over again checking distance. Get up there, bow, get in position and break the boards. If I see you lining up, I'm going to start deducting points. OK. Message received loud and clear.

Us 1st Dan candidates, of which there were 4 of us, the younger Asian guy I mentioned had the same technique for the hand power break as me. A knife hand strike though 3 boards. You get 3 tries but you really want to do it first try. He gets up in position, just ripped into the boards.... and didn't go through. And it hurt him. He quickly re-loaded and did it again. Same thing. gently caress. Me. I'm thinking to myself. This kid is strong. Especially with the hand. I think they removed a board so he had 2 and he still couldn't. This is one of those things where you hurt yourself and your body just instinctively protects itself. It takes a lot to make it through if you miss it first because, well, you're hurt and sore and sometimes willpower isn't enough if your body says "screw you, I'm hurt" so I can't fault him on that. He's done.

Then my partner goes up. He did a straight up old school forefist punch for 3 boards. This guy is about 6'3 or so, built like a brick shithouse. Bodybuilder, teaches high school phys-ed and an all around athlete. He gets up, lines up. SMOKES the boards. The back board breaks. 1 out of the 3. The front 2 deflected enough that it literally bent the back board to snap it. I'm stunned. He's stunned. Everyone is. Jesus, this is not good. Looks at the holder, looks around, knuckles are a bloodied. Regains himself, sets up punches again. Just obliterates them with extreme prejudice. Thank Christ I'm thinking. He then goes to his foot technique, back kick through 3. same as I'll be doing. Stand there, demolishes them first try.

OK. I'm the last guy for 1 Dan. I get up, once again I'm nervous because I just saw the 2 other adult males struggle. 1 guy, didn't do it at all and I'm doing the exact same technique. You really want to do this in 1 and done because, like I said, if you don't, it really hurts. I get into position, and my mind was such a blur I don't even think I bowed, did a shout (prepares the holders) and I demolished them first try. Went right threw them and straight into the chest of the 4th dan that was the front holder. I went hard. Nothing was stopping me with those boards. My wife video'd it and looking back at it last night my technique was not good, I didn't even move my other arm to give a wind up for the strike. I just walked up and used my striking hand. My left stayed by my side. Looked like a caricature of a chop you'd see someone do if they had no idea what they were doing. But I did it and demolished them.

Walked over the the foot technique which is an old school back kick with my right foot. This is one that I can do, but usually takes me a bit to get my foot placement dialed in and he does not want us to stand up there measuring, so that's not helping. The boards are not big and you don't want to hit the fingers of the holders either. Get up, get into place, bowed. Destroyed them 1st try. My technique for that was pretty good. So I'm happy, off to a good start. Both power breaks done in first try, one and done.

Then it's time for the special techniques. My partner goes first and he is doing a triple reverse hook kick through 3 targets at low, mid and high and the last is a jumping reverse kick so it's over head height. That is an ambitious set for a teenager to do and extremely ambitious for a big man in his late 30s to do (I would never attempt it, especially for a test) but it looks amazing when done right. It's a set of kicks when someone thinks taekwondo fancy kicks, that's among them. I've practised with him several times and he's done it pretty much each and every time. But... he couldn't do it yesterday for whatever reason. either his nerves or the holders I don't know what. He was extremely disappointed. That almost certainly dashed his hopes of passing.

My turn after that, I did a 4-direction special of my own design. Basically laid out like a cross with me starting in the middle and the targets around me. A snap kick through 2 ahead of me. Step back reverse hook kick through 1 behind me, step over and a knife hand strike through 2 (my left hand, I knew enough not to make it the same as my power break hand in case of injury) and then a side kick with my left foot through 2. It's more boards than I needed to do but I felt OK about it, except for some stupid reason in practice I kept choking on my side kick. Line up, break snap kick, step over reverse hook kick, step to the side knife strike, all broken. Last set (this all takes about 3-5 seconds). I choke. Couldn't break it. Set up again, do it all over. Break the snap kick, break the hand again, hook, choke on the side. Again. Well... poo poo. The holder for the side (a friend of mine) asks me if he wants me to have him hold it differently. I ask if I'm hitting it right he says yes, but it's not going through. So I think I'm just rushing it and need to focus on proper technique. So I set up again. My left hand in particular is starting to get sore as I've broken a lot of boards with it by this time. Do it again. Break snap kick, *miss the drat hook kick* demolish the knife strike and finally destroy with the side kick. I'm not happy because I didn't do them all at the same time, but master told me repeatedly beforehand if we miss anything, do not stop, keep going, because if we break them all, it gives them something to work with for scoring if you break enough and get enough points to pass.

So I broke a poo poo ton of boards, most very well first try. My pattern work was not great (which bothers me) but I am hoping "good enough." The masters know I can do them and have seen me do all of them countless times, but that's not necessarily important if you can't perform on testing day. I am pretty confident that my sparring was quite good and my pre-arranged sets were quite good. At end, the other 7th Dan master that runs BB program smiled at me and told me I did a good job. When I told him I hated missing the break he said "Hey, you broke them. That's the important part" so that gives me some hope. Also my primary master texted me last night and said I did a great job... so I'm hoping for a positive result. I should know within a week or so. We will see how poorly my patterns really were (I was just on autopilot) and if the shear quantity of boards I broke along with doing them all (not just at the same time) is enough to pull me through. I'm cautiously optimistic but not taking anything for granted.

I am so glad it's done though. I'm sore and stiff today. But I'm intact and ironically in better physical condition that after some of my pre-tests/practising. I genuinely hope I don't have to re-do any parts again.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's crazy that they don't decide on the spot -- is it cuz they have to do paperwork with the national org?

I can't relate to having to recall a specific combo from earlier in my training/development. I feel like most beginning combinations or techniques in kickboxing you could always do on the spot cuz you'd be doing them all the time in sparring and drills.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The deciding on the spot for a pass/fail you mean?

I think it's a traditional thing for them. I suspect they 99% know by the time the candidate leaves the floor if they passed or fail. A lot of the criteria is a simple "did they do X" and if they don't, they fail. Full stop. Kind of like my friend that missed his special. I think that's a fatal error and he knows it, he is super bummed. Some people though, and I suspect I might be among them, might be on the bubble and they have to talk about what they (the masters) saw and discuss. There is (and I am guessing here) going to be some room for judgment with some things, kind of like an Olympic judge for artistic ability. Like yeah, he did his patterns, but how well did he do them? Any deductions for really bad form? Was he using the proper stances? How good were they? Where the strikes to the right spot (hi/mid?) There will be some room there. And I suspect those are the times where a lot of the other stuff comes into play like, has the candidate been dedicated? Taken this seriously? How much have they improved? More of the "fuzzy" stuff.. because with us at least, a BB isn't just the skill set, you do obviously need to be proficient, but we have a marked lack of assholes. All of our BBs are good quality people.

Each of us will end up being called in for a "debrief" on everything and a good talk. That's when you'll find out their decision and what needs to improve or what's strong. I'm pretty sure I already know what they're going to say about me BUT who knows. They are very observant and have a ton of experience so they probably have some insights I've never thought of as well. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibly for me to not pass and have me re-do a section or two that might need work. Like, my pattern component and my special break. I did do them, but it wasn't great. And I had a false start with my pattern which will probably be a non trivial deduction.

With the color/previous techniques, I get you. And indeed the "moves" or simple combinations that are in the pre-arranged sets are techniques are all done every day in sparring and drills. Nothing to weird or difficult. The trick is, since it's a specific choreographed pre-arranged set, is recalling the specific one immediately, and your partner doing the same and performing in synch.

So, for example, for the appointment sparring #5 (which is the scissor take down)

Attacker: Sparring ready stance
Defender: Sparring ready stance
A: Right leg high section back kick, land foot in the front.
D: Move back avoiding the back kick, as they land the foot do a mid section snap kick with the right leg, land replacing your feet
A: Left leg high section back kick, land in the front
D: Avoid the kick, jump in to attacked preforming a scissor on the torso, take them down forcing them into a reverse somersault. Spring back up.
A: Crouch down keeping low/head down after the somersault
D: Reverse straight leg hook kick over the attacker

So, basically it's like that but x38 totally different ones and instantly recalling the specific one by name and number. (IE: 2 step attack #6)

My memory sucks so it was a struggle getting them properly filed in my brain.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 5, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

First of all, that's awesome as poo poo and sounds amazing; good luck, but it sounds like you did pretty well.

Our school doesn't let you know on the spot, either; they send out emails the night of testing if you DIDN'T pass and let you know why and send nothing if you DID pass. This leads to most of us sitting up and refreshing emails at a designated time hoping to not get one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slidebite posted:

So, basically it's like that but x38 totally different ones and instantly recalling the specific one by name and number. (IE: 2 step attack #6)

Got it -- I guess I don't know of any catalog numbering scheme for combos, so everything would have to be narrated, which practically limits the complexity of the total sequence. Basically the same format as calling out combos in drills part of classes.
As I mentioned before, I don't even know if we have names for any of the throws we do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Our standard drills are like that too, basically calling out exactly what you'll end up doing like how it sounds like you do. We usually start with single moves and build up to them in combos of, oh, 3-4 moves... Any more than that, like how you said it stops being practical if the instructor needs to take 1-2 minutes each time to go through what they want you to do. It's pretty rare we'd be doling out a 5 move combo in sparing so the practicality would be a little questionable.

Those pre-arranged sets with the specific "designations/#" are a very specific thing only really used for testing prep for color rank belts. But we do have to memorize them. They are made up of standard moves (mostly) and a BB need to be able to do them well as they'll almost certainly need to demo/teach them to color belts.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

For whatever reason this thread became a lot more interesting to read now that people are talking about martial arts that I have never practised or payed attention to. Keep the good posts coming!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Slide, I can't remember if you told me before or not, but do you guys use Korean names for stuff or like English translations or some bespoke terminology?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

English for everything, other than pattern names, commands and numbers. Moves/drills are always English. IE: "coming forward, twin knifehand high section, followed by a punch in L stance" or something like that.

So Charrot Kyonyae(Attention/Bow), Joon-Bi (ready), Sei-jak (begin), Shi-yo (at ease), Go-Mon (stop) is literally 95% of the Korean you'll hear in our club. We are not super sticklers on it as long as we try. We do not make Korean a requisite for testing, although I understand some clubs do.

The numbers are basically only spoken when doing drills and even then, if it's a fresh 1 Dan leading warm ups or sometimes a senior belt, it is not expected that they know the Korean comfortably and english is acceptable. Although it's kind of expected that someone who has been a BB for more than a few months should know the numbers to 10. Personally, I've heard the numbers thousands of times by now and recognize them but never spoken them.

e: What do you guys do?

duckdealer posted:

For whatever reason this thread became a lot more interesting to read now that people are talking about martial arts that I have never practised or payed attention to. Keep the good posts coming!
Cool stuff

ee: Master just texted me, asked me if I want to go over my test Weds or Thurs. I told him Weds.. so I guess I'll have my answer then. Ugh.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 6, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

We use Kyonyae(Attention/Bow), Joon-Bi (ready), Shi-yo (at ease) and that's about it as far as Korean goes. All of our basic strikes are labeled with numbers for the most part like this:

#1-leading hand/foot
#2-back band/foot
#3-step into lead hand/foot

So a #1 "punch" is generally a leading hand jab, #2 side kick is a back leg side kick, etc.

Crescent kicks get their own "inside/outside" qualifiers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think you did mention that before and had not thought much about it, but that would kill me. Did they explain what the rationale for that is as opposed to a descriptive "name" which I think most do? Or is it because otherwise it would be korean which would be even more difficult to remember? How do they differentiate between the different sections? So, for example your "#1" which I would probably call a jab or #2 which I guess would be a cross..? How do they differentiate between to the head or mid/body?

There are dozens of strikes between foot and hand techniques and dozens of different blocks too. Start throwing in the less common ones, I have no idea how many that would be. I'd never keep that straight, wowzas. Good on you if you can.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Well, honestly we usually just call them jab/cross/uppercut etc when it comes to punches; the numbering system is mainly for kicks now that I think about it. The "#1/#2 etc" poo poo is just sort of beat into my head at this point (I think it's been a year now!). I'm pretty sure the reasoning for it is to standardise the terminology across the board since we have such a large kid's program.

Man, class tonight was possibly the stinkiest I've ever experienced. I don't expect anyone to really smell fresh or anything, but man, poo poo was RIPE tonight. We were working on a couple of different choke escapes and so were basically just all over each other and whew.

ALSO I found out that we can do classes via Zoom as well so now that my garage is getting pretty usable, I'm gonna start doing those on my lunch breaks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Zoom classes are better than no classes during covid but I would be a happy man to never have to do another zoom class in my life.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think I could only coach through Zoom if each person had a dedicated cameraperson to keep them in frame the whole time.
If they did, honestly, it would be better than being in person, cuz I could look between people working on technique so much faster.
But yeah, it wouldn't work with people putting their laptop somewhere and trying to stay in frame.

And you couldn't do partner stuff.

During the rash of anti-Asian hate crimes last year, some AAPI martial arts folks held some impromptu free self-defense classes on Zoom, and while I commend the desire to help your broader community, I think it's a very tough balancing act between teaching them stuff they can drill and hitting back when they need to vs making people think they're Superman and staying in a dangerous situation longer than they need to before running.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, I had a 30 minute "exit interview" about my test today. Master was about 10 minutes late which added to my nerves again lol

Asked me what my thoughts were on the test and the whole 9-10 month contract commitment leading up to it. Asked what I felt I was weakest on in the test and I levelled with him and told him my patterns/forms, because, I literally couldn't remember 90% of them I was so nervous. I just remember snippets. Also I didn't do all my breaks at the same time.

He had an interesting thought and said doing the patterns on autopilot isn't necessarily bad, it means you/your body knows what to do in a stressful situation. That said, I certainly wish I was "with it" more and not nearly as nervous because I would have focused a lot more on strength, stances and transitions being "crisp" but flow (a TKD thing) into the next move better. He did say my stances were tighter and narrower than he would like but they were OK.

He was quite complimentary on my power and gave the impression that basically breaks are the least of my concerns. My sparring and partner work was good. Better than my patterns at least!

I mentioned earlier that there was a 3rd master who attended that I didn't plan on, but what I neglected to mention was he is also our national technical director. I did see him writing during the test but I didn't know he was also evaluating along with my direct 2 masters. Which I did not expect and I'm glad I didn't know it.

But

At the end of the day, I passed.

Now to learn more stuff again. It never ends.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

HELLZ. YES.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

congratulations!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Congrats

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Congrats slidebite!!

So I had my first hung gar class last week and absolutely loved it. I was sore as hell the day after but its all good. Been working on my horse stance and the part of the form I've learned so far, but was wondering: a bit ago someone posted a Sense Seth video and I quite liked it and have gone down the rabbit hole with him and his friends. Does anyone know of any kung fu type channels like that?

Also, if you all love martial arts/action movies like I do, I recently discovered Scott Adkins's YouTube show "The Art of Action" and it has been a great time!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Last week, I finally had a class that was max size, 10 people. Which also meant I could teach on the mats instead of inside the smallish cage.
To make use of all the space, decided to go with a duck and ram kind of trip, like what you might see Akira from Virtua Fighter (billed as a baji fighter) might do.
It was a bunch of returning students but also some new ones, so I dragged out technique for most of the class and didn't do much calisthenics.
Coming from 3-5 people in a class, trying to get people the pointers they deserved was pretty hard. Especially in terms of having people at different skill/experience levels all get some tips for incremental improvement.

After the class was over, a couple of the students did a few extra reps of the trip and escape to counter sequence, and laughed and said "this is fun!"
That was really rewarding to see that they got enough of the instruction to do the technique by themselves but also enjoy practicing it.

I've been scouring this Chinese wrestling book that I have for other techniques to teach. The striking setups in this book are extremely fake, so it definitely takes real sparring experience to know which of these are too hard to achieve against free resistance punching. The scenarios clearly imply striking, but half the setups are contrived and just having you run into punches/knees. Instead of letting someone kick you and grabbing the leg to start the throw, you go on offense and pull their leg up into into a pretty mundane throw.

But with that awareness of how striking limits the space of viable moves, it's kind of fun to browse the material for inspiration. This is the one I modified for class:

Entry is still risky and I warned the class that this is not a great move for someone who can feint into nice knees or uppercuts.
The stuff I've been teaching to the new people is generally low amplitude throws and not high percentage basics, which naturally look far closer to other martial arts' techniques.
In that vein, this trip is pretty open and easy to escape.

I don't think I'll be teaching this one:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

Entry is still risky and I warned the class that this is not a great move for someone who can feint into nice knees or uppercuts.
Oofta. Yeah, I feel that. I still get the jeebies when I think a high kick or punch is coming and I can only get low to avoid it. Doesn't happen often, but it happens. I'd always try to parry to the side if at all possible or just jump back, but sometimes the footing and momentum just doesn't work with what you were doing. The risk is real and prime pickings for an experienced sparrer with a good fake.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think I'll be teaching this one:

Lmaoooo Might make you run out of students and have your insurance rates go up an unacceptable amount!

I too love classes around 8-10 people especially with a few BBs and they're all dedicated. We had one like that tonight. Big enough to do sparing rounds, but small enough where you get some good quality instruction in. I'm still getting used to being "looked up to" and helping the color belts learn some of their stuff. Feels weird. I always tried to help out as a senior color belt, but now as a black belt I'm kind of expected to know it.... especially since I literally just tested and had to prep all of it.

One of my new hyeong (patterns) that I'm learning is pretty interesting. It's called "Kwang-Gae" It's full of all sorts of weird transitions and stance changes changes in a way never done earlier. It's also pretty long compared to most (all?) of the color patterns. The BB patterns are definitely a notch above in difficulty.. rightfully so. I can see how they don't like the Dan's testing more than every few years as I really genuinely think it'll take me at least 2 to get the 3 new ones down to a comfort zone where I might be able to try it. Unfortunately with me, age is swiftly becoming a problem and I'll be in my 50s by that time :(

Unexpected side effect of being a 1 Dan in my late 40s - I am automatically the most senior 1Dan right out of the gate. People that I've known as BBs ever since I've been training but never bothered testing for their 2nd+, I am automatically their senior. Not that it practically changes anything, other than bowing and lining up.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 17, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I have never heard random people on the street talking about martial arts before, but this couple was talking about their friend needing to travel or move and having to pick up some new thai pads. One person said, "I said he should just go with Fairtex because those are the standard."

Smdh at not going with Boon.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

kimbo305 posted:

I have never heard random people on the street talking about martial arts before, but this couple was talking about their friend needing to travel or move and having to pick up some new thai pads. One person said, "I said he should just go with Fairtex because those are the standard."

Smdh at not going with Boon.

My “uncle” (my father’s best friend and Hapkido master) had jackets made up for the dojang which only had the initials of the school, not even a Korean flag. I regularly had folks ask me if it was a dojang/dojo/martial arts school. Fortunately they were all cool and we swapped stories about training.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/SonnyBrown/status/1538851585396117504

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Has someone posted this one yet? An elderly judo master, 10th Dan Mifune, wipes the floor with his high ranking juniors. You can tell the juniors are really trying, too. Something I learned from the video is that apparently at 10th Dan the practitioner can literally fly.

https://youtu.be/hv5BszX15fc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Has someone posted this one yet? An elderly judo master, 10th Dan Mifune, wipes the floor with his high ranking juniors. You can tell the juniors are really trying, too. Something I learned from the video is that apparently at 10th Dan the practitioner can literally fly.

Mifune owns

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Cool stuff. The footwork looks weird though. I've dropped in on a few judo classes and they seem much more heavy and based out than what you see in the video. More economy of movement.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

ElHuevoGrande posted:

Cool stuff. The footwork looks weird though. I've dropped in on a few judo classes and they seem much more heavy and based out than what you see in the video. More economy of movement.

I think the purpose of that video is to demonstrate judo in action, so they're taking a pretty light-on-their-feet, positive approach. Basically, focusing on trying to make throws happen, rather than focusing on trying not to lose. In the Olympics there's always a lot of talk of "defensive judo" and "technical judo" which are based on defending your gi, securing wazaris and playing the clock. Since this is a demonstration, moreover one with a 10th dan, it seems like it's more about gripping up immediately and showing the fundamentals at work.

I'm sure some of it is also just, not wanting to get too rough. Like as an example, there's one part where a throw fails and Mifune's literally up in the air. In a competitive match, the tori would absolutely use that opportunity to try to take the fight to the ground, even if it was gnarly and scrappy and not a clean ippon.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah, the students aren't "really trying" in any sense, that's just a chill flow spar demonstration type deal. If a young capable judoka started "really trying" against an 80 year old man you would just wind up with a dead body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The idea with randori is that you try to make your judo happen through timing and not put too much effort into defense so that things don't escalate and the sparring can be an activity that you can do every day.