Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I wasn't sure I wanted to make my normal LP post today given... current events. But maybe we could all use something to read and talk about that isn't how lovely the world is getting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just did Heroes' Gauntlet with two newbies. Most of it is your usual newbie shenanigans (everything's difficult first time you see it) but the final fight game me a laugh. One person got the group-up marker and ran away from the party so we had to chase them (yes, right out of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yi_W4FpG8) and the healer told them "run to the tank when you get those." Those of you who know the fight might see where this is going...

yup, they ran right for me when everyone was supposed to stay put. I was too slow warning them. Healer saw it coming too and rezzed me quick so I could taunt back, and we managed to salvage it. I knew it was coming, should've hit Holmgang but was laughing too hard. Ya can't really blame anyone for that sort of thing, not with newbies.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bean posted:

So if I have a playstation and a steam license and the steam store shits the bed, I can still log in on my ps5 right?

with the caveat being that you have to have all the appropriate licenses for the playstation version, yes

[e] or at least the licenses for the content you want to access. not sure how that plays into things like playing a later expansion race

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 25, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Completed my first dungeon! It was pretty okay. I hope NPC team members stay decently effective.

Also, the Aesthetician cutscene was gold.

I hadn't thought about the perspective of a new player jumping in with the duty support NPCs immediately. If you keep rolling with them I'm interesting in hearing what you think of them in dungeons going forward.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bruceski posted:

yup, they ran right for me when everyone was supposed to stay put. I was too slow warning them. Healer saw it coming too and rezzed me quick so I could taunt back, and we managed to salvage it. I knew it was coming, should've hit Holmgang but was laughing too hard. Ya can't really blame anyone for that sort of thing, not with newbies.

I got Dun Scaith in adr a couple weeks ago and the final fight has those look-away stack markers that hardly ever get used anywhere else. Sprouts doing the wrong thing with them is common, but I watched a combat mentor run away with one and get flattened and I about died laughing

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just wondering: are there any dyeable versions of the Final Coils weapons?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Just wondering: are there any dyeable versions of the Final Coils weapons?

Nope

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

FuturePastNow posted:

I got Dun Scaith in adr a couple weeks ago and the final fight has those look-away stack markers that hardly ever get used anywhere else. Sprouts doing the wrong thing with them is common, but I watched a combat mentor run away with one and get flattened and I about died laughing

some times it's easier to just take one for the team

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oneiros posted:

with the caveat being that you have to have all the appropriate licenses for the playstation version, yes

[e] or at least the licenses for the content you want to access. not sure how that plays into things like playing a later expansion race
I picked up the PS4 version when they had a free promotion for the base game (and giving extra free sub time even if you already had an account), and from what I saw, it doesn't care about your entitlements insofar as things like jobs and races go - you can be a Viera Dancer and only own the base game on playstation - BUT you can't log into or travel to zones that are beyond your license. So as long as you're logged out anywhere in the 1-60 zones, you'll be allowed to log in and do things in ARR/HW content.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Well, this happened tonight:

...this was my first time in the zone, and I'm already sitting on a gold mine. Well, alongside six other people also there for the first time. These go for 8-10k gil EACH.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Gnossiennes posted:

some times it's easier to just take one for the team

Yeah

Unless it's a multihit like Akh Morn

In which case it will switch targets after each strike instakills one person per hit in succession.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

Yeah

In which case it will switch targets after each strike instakills one person per hit in succession.

Ahk Morn and attacks like it are the only real fail state I've seen in Normal fights. The fact that it moves to a new target should the original die quickly polishes off a party that is only barely alive.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zomborgon posted:

Yeah

Endwalker Level 83 Trial Spoilers

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Done that...

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

(fyi Sang this links to chapter 3 instead of chapter 4)

(good chapter though)

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Is there a reason to use the 'Standard' subscription if I don't plan on having that many characters? It seems even with the discount for multiple months the 'Entry' plan is cheaper.

Nuramor fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 25, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's basically no reason to have alts in this game anyway, Entry is fine.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Arist posted:

There's basically no reason to have alts in this game anyway, Entry is fine.

Unless you roleplay

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Or have friends on another datacenter. Or you split raid. All edge cases though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

SettingSun posted:

Or have friends on another datacenter. Or you split raid. All edge cases though.

Entry is still 1 character per world, so honestly you can still do both on Entry, granted both are on the same DC.

Though if you ever want to use Game Time Cards you'll need Standard.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Kazy posted:

Entry is still 1 character per world

Not anymore! 6.1 said screw that and entry subs can now pile all 8 characters on a single world.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Zomborgon posted:

I'd recommend trying it yourself! I can get through them a lot faster, in the low 20s of minutes on a good day. Generally those times came from playing WAR and multipulling.

Yeah people throw the 30 minutes thing around way too much, if the Trusts have throttles on them I've never experienced it. Even afking for 10 minutes at one point and they still did the same damage on the next boss. Getting the Seventh Dawn title I got the EW dungeons down to 21-22 minutes. And yeah you can easily multipull all of them with 2 exceptions, in 83 after getting off the train the Trusts are bad at the stairs and will let the tank die if it's not you as the tank, and in 89 towards the end there is a long distance between packs that will cause the mobs to weirdly reset with Trusts forcing you to run back to grab them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a way to
1) Target a teammate for healing purposes and then cast my spell at their target without deselecting the ally?

2) Have it so when I don't have a target, pressing a skill will auto-target the nearest enemy?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My vague memory about trusts is that there was something in a live letter or such that got misunderstood - the NPCs will attempt to keep their personal DPS roughly constant, as in if they keep getting casts interrupted by having to dodge AOEs they'll use a more damaging spell, and people read it as them keeping the whole party DPS constant

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a way to
1) Target a teammate for healing purposes and then cast my spell at their target without deselecting the ally?

2) Have it so when I don't have a target, pressing a skill will auto-target the nearest enemy?

1) Yes, or at least you can get pretty close by "soft-targeting" enemies, which means you snap back to your previous target after casting your spell. It takes a bit of set-up if you're using a keyboard, but controllers have it as a basic function.

Edit: There's also the "target of my target" keybind, which you could use to swap back and forth between a tank and their target quickly. It wouldn't work right if the target for healing is a DPS teammate, though (their target would probably be targeting the tank, so two presses of the keybind would go initial target -> enemy -> tank, rather than initial target -> enemy -> initial target).

2) Yup.

a comment in the above link posted:

Character Configuration -> Control Settings -> Target:
Auto-target Settings:
Toggle both according to priority and enable full auto-target. Set "Closest range" in dropdown.

YMMV on what you prefer for the "Target Type" setting in that section. I have it set to "cone" and that works pretty well for how I use the camera.

Bloody Emissary fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 25, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bean posted:

So if I have a playstation and a steam license and the steam store shits the bed, I can still log in on my ps5 right?

For some reason I can't buy PS4 expansions including Endwalker because it keeps saying I don't have the base game. The thing is, Mog station shows me as having the base game so I guess I gotta get in touch with either PS support or SE support one of these days.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Is there a way to manually move people around on the party list? Like I could set a macro to cast Dragon Sight on <6> and then move whichever party member I want to use it on to slot 6? I'm trying to remove focus target from my macro while still giving myself some control over who I pick.

I know I can rearrange the default job order, but "the job it's meta-ideal to buff" is not always the person I want in the buff spot. Sometimes they're dying a lot, or a jerk, or both.

Edit: looks like yes! https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/uiguide/party/party-how/party_partylist.html though I'll have to wait until friends are on later to test it out, those arrows at the side should move individual people up or down. We'll see if it has issues with death or zoning like Focus does.

I think /psort <t> 2 would work as well if I read the macro description right. I'll have to poke at that.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 25, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
People using party sort is very common in blue mage groups to get the tanks and healers sorted anything close to normal

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

So party sorting persists through zoning (focus doesn't, this was one annoying reason I wanted other options), but the /psort command doesn't recognize <t> so I have to do it manually to put someone in the buff slot. Still, better than before.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a way to

Are you playing with mouse and keyboard?

What I did for Sage was make all of my targeted healing abilities macros that target my mouseover target, then myself as backup. Something akin to
code:
/micon "Druochole"
/merror off
/ac "Druochole" <mo>
/ac "Druochole" <mo>
/ac "Druochole" <mo>
/ac "Druochole" <me>
Repeat for however many target heals you have. By law of large numbers, it's reliable enough that I've not had issues, and lets me mouse over the person I want to heal (either their model, nameplate, or Party Menu).

I wouldn't be able to play a healer without it. I can target the boss to see cast bars, health, and use my offensive spells, and quickly mouseover-heal someone who got hurt.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

playing Sage without the ability to weave your heals is a bold choice

does mouse / keyboard not have soft targeting like controller?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FallenGod posted:

Nope. You simply get very good at quickly swapping targets. I have my party bars positioned closer to the center of my screen so that it's easy to quickly click on a bar, execute a heal, and then swap back to my primary target with Tab.

I don't think I'd ever transition to it, but I do think that an excellent quality of life feature for other PC players would be the ability to set mouseover controls to individual actions in some kind of separate options menu. You can do it with macros, but only suboptimally, and I don't think there's some insurmountable advantage gained over console players by allowing it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FallenGod posted:

Double weave no, but I haven't had any significant issues with being unable to execute GCD > oGCD > GCD patterns.

I can tell you there is zero chance in hell I'll be going back to targeted healing until the devs make the function native.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FallenGod posted:

You can set it up so that mouse wheel works for soft targeting, which I have done but forget how exactly. Involved binding the mouse wheel directions to something in the depths of key bind config.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The F# keys default bindings target your party members. F1 targets the top (yourself). F2 & F3 the tanks, etc. So I tap the matching key, heal, and click the mouse wheel which I have bound to Target Nearest Enemy.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Subjunctive posted:

You can set it up so that mouse wheel works for soft targeting, which I have done but forget how exactly. Involved binding the mouse wheel directions to something in the depths of key bind config.

To save a little bit of fruitless searching, it's not in the keybindings menu but in one of the Character Config menus. It's one of the later tabs, so it's not immediately visible. You're looking for a bunch of mouse wheel options with drop-down menus, like wheel up, wheel down, Shift+wheel up, Shift+wheel down, et cetera.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Edit: looks like yes! https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/uiguide/party/party-how/party_partylist.html though I'll have to wait until friends are on later to test it out, those arrows at the side should move individual people up or down. We'll see if it has issues with death or zoning like Focus does.

A guide was literally just posted lol

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Still worse than mouseover smartcasting, which has been in games for how many years now? 15? More?

There are just so many small things that are wrong with XIV from a technical perspective. If a competitor - say, Riot Games - puts in the work to write a good story to go with a modern competent engine then SE is gonna lose their lunch money real fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Still worse than mouseover smartcasting, which has been in games for how many years now? 15? More?

There are just so many small things that are wrong with XIV from a technical perspective. If a competitor - say, Riot Games - puts in the work to write a good story to go with a modern competent engine then SE is gonna lose their lunch money real fast.

Pretty sure they are working on an MMO.