Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Sadly it does not apply to previously forged weapons and the game will try you to reset them, be careful.

Also I feel like the game wants you to choose a specific squad, because if you funnel all your money on levelling you won't have enough for tactics (which are insanely good boosts), repairing (which gives you already forged weapons and monsters give them by wazoo) and maybe facilities? (which are the biggest priority over everything).

Facilities don't cost any cash, just the materials. I think, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

McTimmy posted:

Facilities don't cost any cash, just the materials. I think, anyway.

They cost some cash. Though it's like 1000 for second column upgrades which is soare change, but you can't upgrade if you waste everything on forge gacha and skipping grinding :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I mean you have infinite money. Just replay a sidequest battle for like 10k in under 3 minutes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zore posted:

I mean you have infinite money. Just replay a sidequest battle for like 10k in under 3 minutes.

I'd really like to know where is that magic sidequest, when most give me 2000-3000 if I bother to S-rank them, the only outliers being the non-repeatable extra quests which give 8000.

Unless the answer is "get on with the game", since I'm in chapter 6 still.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I was so worried this would have AOC performance. so glad I was wrong

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Incorrect, in this game money is for upgrading people at the tactics trainer. That stuff gets expensive if you like to use all the characters.

When does that open up?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This game is a really great collection of improvement from FEW and then some just really baffling changes.

Tying passives to playing a class is such a better way than tying them to supports. You'll still probably want to master way more than your default line, but it feels much less onerous than having to strap Lobsterman to your back the entire game. Hell you even have a way to do it outside of combat! It's great. It's also strange but wonderful playing a musou where I give a poo poo about the story with it being much more than an excuse for mashing your action figures together. In all honestly this could be a Fire Emblem game if you swapped out the combat styles.

The bad is kind of annoying though. I hate the RNG level ups. This doesn't even really help for class freedom, since topsy turvy was a thing in FEW and was a great way to differentiate units of the same class. (Though the new weapon system could make it much harder to obtain.) I also don't know why they stop mechanical supports (ie supports with no conversations) at c. If you're already not making a convo, make it go to A for mechanical benefit at least. At the very least everyone in the same house should go to A :argh:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Eimi posted:

I also don't know why they stop mechanical supports (ie supports with no conversations) at c. If you're already not making a convo, make it go to A for mechanical benefit at least. At the very least everyone in the same house should go to A :argh:

"Congratulations, you recruited a former classmate from the enemy faction! Nobody cares about her any more."

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Like on the one hand, I get it, because the supports in Three Hopes tend to be longer and more involved than the ones in Houses, but on the other, Ashe literally won’t talk to anyone in the Black Eagles other than Shez and so it’s like why even bother making him recruitable lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'd really like to know where is that magic sidequest, when most give me 2000-3000 if I bother to S-rank them, the only outliers being the non-repeatable extra quests which give 8000.

Unless the answer is "get on with the game", since I'm in chapter 6 still.

Money scales from sidequests the further in the game you are yeah.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I can't believe they made Caspar even more annoying.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Is it because of the hair?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Is it because of the hair?

His VA in battle

'wha-? what am i doing again?' etc everytime. like fucker you know what you're doing, hit people!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Notty posted:

Like on the one hand, I get it, because the supports in Three Hopes tend to be longer and more involved than the ones in Houses, but on the other, Ashe literally won’t talk to anyone in the Black Eagles other than Shez and so it’s like why even bother making him recruitable lol

I mean when I say 'mechanical support' I just mean they get an A rank support with no conversations at all. There are plenty of supports like that in game, they just tend to end at C rank.

But yeah that is also a strange aspect of recruiting. But half the recruits feel like you just Fulton'd them and the other half actually want to join you and it's 50/50 on how they'll feel about it. And you can only tell after the battle.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Scarlet Blaze Chapter 10 Ending: Hell yeah Byleth and Jeralt and oh come on why is their support list so goddamn dead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Half the recruitments are "Surrender if you don't want to die" so it makes sense they don't have large support lists but why even have them join the army at that point?

It's a bit silly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Since I'm playing casual I'm thinking just don't bother with recruits

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Get the sewer kids at least. They are all happy to be here and while not as fleshed out as a main house character, have a decent amount of supports.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Is there any advantage to training in a class I won’t be using? If I’m grinding and replaying missions, I mean. Any potential disadvantage?

I’m not even sure if anything at all carries between classes. To be honest I am a little overwhelmed with all the systems in play.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The early stages also don't show the full story because if you do recruit people you will eventually recruit more people they have supports with.

And some later recruits require earlier ones. You can only grab Raphael on SB if you already grabbed Ignatz and then specifically beat him with Ignatz

Also the supports in this game are super good. Hubert and Ferdinand's is absolutely fantastic.

Chinook posted:

Is there any advantage to training in a class I won’t be using? If I’m grinding and replaying missions, I mean. Any potential disadvantage?

I’m not even sure if anything at all carries between classes. To be honest I am a little overwhelmed with all the systems in play.

You can get skills from other classes and unique combat arts. Early on the skills are usually pretty bad, but later you can get some silly good stuff from higher tier classes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Notable good skill givers are...surprise surprise, the warrior and wyvern rider line. Bandit can give Death Blow, which keeps the stun gauge open for longer, top tier. Wyvern Rider gives Offensive Tactics, a free 20% bonus damage just for equipping a battalion.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hell yeah finally got advanced classes. swordmaster is fun ofc

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Eimi posted:

Notable good skill givers are...surprise surprise, the warrior and wyvern rider line. Bandit can give Death Blow, which keeps the stun gauge open for longer, top tier. Wyvern Rider gives Offensive Tactics, a free 20% bonus damage just for equipping a battalion.

Just play what you find fun

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Barreft posted:

His VA in battle

'wha-? what am i doing again?' etc everytime. like fucker you know what you're doing, hit people!

They're really kind of going hard on the idea that Caspar is a moron. His support with Dorothea is basically:

CASPAR: I'm going to read books so that I can become smarter and more well-rounded!
DOROTHEA: Oh, no! Caspar, you're supposed to read the books, not eat them!
CASPAR: That is... literally what I just said? Did you really think I was going to shove a book down my throat?
DOROTHEA: Let me tell you a story. Once, a meatheaded general read a lot of books and became smart and cool.
CASPAR: Yes, that is kind of what I was already planning to do when we started this conversation.
DOROTHEA: Unfortunately, by the time you get any smarter, the war will be over and it'll be too late to help your career! Unless I help you.
CASPAR: Thanks, Dorothea! Where would I be without you?

Except unfortunately he's not being sarcastic.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've also not hit a single talking point in like 5 expeditions. so that's 15 times? I definitely dunno how to read my buddies

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Barreft posted:

I've also not hit a single talking point in like 5 expeditions. so that's 15 times? I definitely dunno how to read my buddies

lol I mean just lmao if you don’t obsessively reload your save every time you give a wrong answer on an expedition because you want the virtual characters to like you

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
look, people like their men dumb nowadays.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also lol they straight up have Lysithea involved in a bunch of SB exclusive scenes unlike everyone else I've recruited so far. This owns.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I gotta say, I would not in a million years have guessed that Shez and Sylvain’s support would end up touching on Sylvain attempting to invent firearms and the pluses/minuses of a centralized military force

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DC Murderverse posted:

I gotta say, I would not in a million years have guessed that Shez and Sylvain’s support would end up touching on Sylvain attempting to invent firearms and the pluses/minuses of a centralized military force

:hmmyes: it's good.

Master class updates: Gremory is loving ridiculous, lmao.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Also Felix and Mercedes’ support is the strongest evidence for the writers of this game being fandom people. Felix gets a kitty!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao holy poo poo Holy Knight Sylvain is INSANE. "What if we took a character who's unique ability is ridiculously scaling range and made his best preferred class mounted and with even more range?"

Also FYI to anybody complaining about leveling or the RNG nature of levelups: it literally does not matter as long as you stick to weapon type advantages. I just took level 16 Rodrigue into a paralogue with level 38 enemies and he was just as effective as anybody else so long as he had a good battalion and was fighting with weapon triangle advantage.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wish they didn’t still have gender-locked classes, I want to teach Bernadetta Kung-fu

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah this game is similar to the first FEW where stat impact is pretty small, so having rng level ups isn’t as bad as the traditional FE games. The main thing would be skills that are percent based on stats, if there are any really strong ones.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Inexplicable Support Content, part 2: (Annette/Shez) Why does noted not-thinker Shez know so much about literary critical theory?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sydin posted:

lmao holy poo poo Holy Knight Sylvain is INSANE. "What if we took a character who's unique ability is ridiculously scaling range and made his best preferred class mounted and with even more range?"

Also FYI to anybody complaining about leveling or the RNG nature of levelups: it literally does not matter as long as you stick to weapon type advantages. I just took level 16 Rodrigue into a paralogue with level 38 enemies and he was just as effective as anybody else so long as he had a good battalion and was fighting with weapon triangle advantage.

Can't wait. I just unlocked advanced classes now

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i think one of the funniest parts of three hopes is the fact that it inverts which hero's relics are good

Three Houses' equipment relics (mostly thyrsus) have really nice stats and passive skills and are great because there's really not a lot of stuff that has those skills. (ie: there's like 3 different things that buff magic range and thyrsus is one of them) Meanwhile the weapons are cool but fuuuuck grinding umbral steel so you use 'em for important fights and thats it

But then in Three Hopes, you have poo poo like Freikugel that A: has much more damage than most axes, B: has much more durability than most axes, C: has a unique weapon art where you cause a volcanic explosion, and D: can be spammed without fear. And then you have Thyrsus which gives you +3 Mag. :v:

also speaking of equipment I found a camp that was giving out either a knowledge gem or an experience gem and I have to wonder why anyone would pick the latter when mastering classes gets you skills/arts and levels can be bought for chump change

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bruceski posted:

Since I'm playing casual I'm thinking just don't bother with recruits

I'm glad someone else here is playing casual. I know death is a thing in Fire Emblem games but it's not a thing in Musou games and losing characters in one of those seems really dumb. Especially since you're straight up not controlling 75% of your characters in battle.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Zore posted:

Also lol they straight up have Lysithea involved in a bunch of SB exclusive scenes unlike everyone else I've recruited so far. This owns.

wasn't she the one character who did that in three houses for empire gang too or am I misremembering

so far my only real complaint of the game is that black eagles are 70% mages or people who suck (caspar sucks) and the mage movelist is... lame

hell the first characters you can recruit are mages, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Don't feel restricted by preferred class ideas, embrace cavalier Hubert