Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Who tries to actually secede first?

Jefferson, because nobody would notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i say swears online posted:

it's colorado and the feds just starve everybody

Can't starve out Colorado. We can dam the rivers and build our own reservoirs to revitalize our agricultural lands on the eastern plains and in the mountain valleys and more than substantial livestock to have a thick steak once a month. We have natural gas wells, oil wells, solar and wind fields. And half the people here are foaming at the mouth for a fight, any fight.

Basically, try it, and half the plains, and the entirety of the southwest, will go dry.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

atelier morgan posted:

nobody is going to 'actually' secede in a de jure sense, the inevitable breakdown of connections will just continue apace, accelerating as various systems fail in a stochastic manner under increased pressure both political and material (from climate and disease and global supply chain instability, etc) until at some point people will look back and there will not have been a USA for a very long time

That's my read too. Decentralization as the Supreme Court stripes the federal government of it's national enforcements. A 21st century Holy Roman Empire.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

OhFunny posted:

That's my read too. Decentralization as the Supreme Court stripes the federal government of it's national enforcements. A 21st century Holy Roman Empire.

Well without the city states,

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

War and Pieces posted:

Well without the city states,

new york city already has an army on par with a hell of a lot of national militaries comrade, lmao

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Jun 25, 2022

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

atelier morgan posted:

new york city has one of the largest armies in the world comrade, lmao

yeah but they're not going to fight red state troops when they share their cause

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dustcat posted:

yeah but they're not going to fight red state troops when they share their cause

oh yeah ofc, but its definitely a city-state already

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

it's going to be a very strange civil war and the funniest part is that the people who started it already held all the meaningful power in the country

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Substandard posted:

It should be California, they get super hosed by basically every aspect of statehood and it's like the 5th largest global economy on its own.

I've heard this sentiment before but is this GDP economy or productive capital economy.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

how do words work

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

I've heard this sentiment before but is this GDP economy or productive capital economy.

its definitely gdp economy, but california does also have a shitload of productive capital in the form of a cartel of noble families with massive estates farmed by barely paid migrant labor and state-owned-for-private-profit slave plantations and factories

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

zetamind2000 posted:

From the doomsday econ thread, which states have the most military bases if balkanization happens

Washington and Georgia will be nuclear powers lmao

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mayor Dave posted:

Washington and Georgia will be nuclear powers lmao

barring revolutionary mutiny amongst the sailors ala 1905 the us navy will be a nuclear power, and run the puget sound as its fief, long after the federal government is a rump irrelevance

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm gonna start tossing dirt into the panama canal

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

atelier morgan posted:

barring revolutionary mutiny amongst the sailors ala 1905 the us navy will be a nuclear power, and run the puget sound as its fief, long after the federal government is a rump irrelevance

If our navel overlords deign to rearm the great lakes I'll have their back

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

War and Pieces posted:

This'll probably happen at some point I feel, if just gunboats

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Colorado the mountain fortress.

The Helms Deep against chuds

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

This'll probably happen at some point I feel, if just gunboats

hell yeah bring industry back to the rust belt

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dustcat posted:

it's going to be a very strange civil war and the funniest part is that the people who started it already held all the meaningful power in the country

that was how US Civil War 1 started too

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dustcat posted:

"i have a thousand guns in my basement which means im just gonna sit here and die if i cant go to applebees"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

I would move back to Chicago in a heartbeat lol. Would be loving dope

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Trains, freshwater and culture. I could die happy

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

In Training posted:

Trains, freshwater and culture. I could die happy

also legal weed

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i hope america nukes itself

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oglethorpe posted:

also legal weed

Alcoholic here, I doubt no matter how bad it gets in the us theyll ever try prohibition again. Would instantly illegitimize any state trying to enforce it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

redleader posted:

i hope america nukes itself

We've got a few of those too, in NE Colorado.

I will help dam the Rio Grande if it comes to it.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can't starve out Colorado. We can dam the rivers and build our own reservoirs to revitalize our agricultural lands on the eastern plains and in the mountain valleys and more than substantial livestock to have a thick steak once a month. We have natural gas wells, oil wells, solar and wind fields. And half the people here are foaming at the mouth for a fight, any fight.

Basically, try it, and half the plains, and the entirety of the southwest, will go dry.

Also the operator culture small-arms obsessed ~*~warfighters~*~ are hilariously, irredeemably poo poo at mountain warfare.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Morbus posted:

Also the operator culture small-arms obsessed ~*~warfighters~*~ are hilariously, irredeemably poo poo at mountain warfare.

They really are, and they're easy to spot.

However, a lot of veterans have settled here. Lots of army and air force. Colorado offers some pretty nice benefits if you have a disability rating, so a lot hang around after they serve, or retire out here.

And while obviously there is crossover between the cosplayer community and actual veterans, it's probably a better emergency militia than Nebraska or New Mexico could drum up.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/BNNBreaking/status/1540778428798234624?s=20&t=hqaBHwwcBvmF7DpXBGQhIw

balkin dat poo poo

(this post is not supportive of the military either)

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
US edging closer to civil war?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/26/second-civil-war-us-abortion

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

quote:

Two essential facts of the 2020 election should give leftwing partisans hope, however. Biden-voting counties amounted to 70% of GDP, while 60% of college-educated voters chose Biden. That is to say, the left-democratic wing of America is the productive and educated part of the country.

:rubby:

zetamind2000 has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Jun 26, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that article states the rich as a whole are on the left

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hmm

quote:

This same divide has played out on an international level, in the struggle between Russia and Ukraine. Russia, overwhelmed by resentment because it cannot meaningfully compete in an integrated 21st-century economy, has devolved into a conservative authoritarianism with no other outlet than violence. But Ukraine had better access to the global financial and media networks. The reaction, from the forces of the democratic west, has been to cut Russia off from financial systems and to provide Ukraine with superior technology. Technology and financial networks have proven the match, at the very least, of brute force.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

that whole article is extremely lib brained and if he thinks poor and dispossessed minorities will fight his pet war against the chuds, just lol.

sneering and talking down to the very people he expects to save lovely libs like him along with the power structures that prop him up

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://archive.ph/azRRQ

BALK BALK BALK BALK

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nuclearmonkee posted:

that whole article is extremely lib brained

It's the Guardian/Observer, so by definition, yes

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEkjb-2KLpU

balk balk balk

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MLSM posted:

https://twitter.com/BNNBreaking/status/1540778428798234624?s=20&t=hqaBHwwcBvmF7DpXBGQhIw

balkin dat poo poo

(this post is not supportive of the military either)

eh, not really. They're just saying that on Federal military bases, the same rules will still apply for whether they can provide abortions (which they generally can't thanks to the Hyde amendment, which prevents federal funds from paying for abortions except to save the life of the woman, or if the pregnancy arises from incest or rape.)

Since it's Federal land, even if a state wholly bans abortions in all circumstances they can still provide them (subject to Hyde limitations) regardless.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Since it's Federal land, even if a state wholly bans abortions in all circumstances they can still provide them (subject to Hyde limitations) regardless.

Texas is dumb enough to try to enforce their state abortion ban on the military and kick off secession two when they can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Youtube: How to makes you own Abortion pill at home using a 3d printer.