Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are just proving how unenlightened these forums are compared to the hallowed halls of RPGCodex.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Parmenides, my dude, if you'd been born into a Spartiate family they would've thrown you into the trash pile they consigned all unhealthy babies.

IIRC, this was debunked; archaeologists found that the trash pile in question contained only adult skeletons.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Roman/ancient history: the internal affairs of gentlemen have nothing to do with helots

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Silver2195 posted:

IIRC, this was debunked; archaeologists found that the trash pile in question contained only adult skeletons.

Maybe they could make an exception

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CoolCab posted:

hey you know how fantasising about owning slaves would get you banned literally anywhere else on this website, well

We're just having some fun here, don't worry. Nothing lasts forever. :agesilaus:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 25, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The slave underclass if this ancient military dictatorship wasn't treated that badly. The ruling class could've been much more cruel to the people to they were oppressing. Ergo it was all good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I do find it utterly unsurprising that the Sparta idolizer is a prosecutor and a landlord

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Parmenides posted:

Sure, there's plenty of roles I could play. If you want something in line with my career, I'm doing something in the political/legal system and engaging in some philosophical pursuits. I said I could be a logographer in Athens, but there are plenty of possibilities. You talk about being a landholder; I do own/manage some properties, so sure I could be a landed gentleman. Maybe Xenophon rides up to my estate and we write the Oikonomikos together; I have owned horses and know how to ride, so we have shared interests.

I went to school and then uni, so maybe the Hellenistic equivalent is to have my family pay for tutors, and then in my late teens I go travel to an established school and study; sky's the limit at that point. Or maybe we take away all assets and I am a wayward orphan, but the superior quality of my soul ensures I am valued and have a measure of happiness. There are endless number of jobs for a capable person to perform, we can all make friends, perform some valued task, and fit in, although conflict or some other misfortune may bring the story to an early end. Maybe I'm a royal chef; right now I have a wife and kids, I do a fair bit of the cooking. I did a nice roast today; 4 pounds of beef with potatoes and carrots. Maybe I bring potatoes to antiquity and am worshipped as a god.
An interesting and very aristocratic outlook, which I am sure you will take as a descriptor not a judgment.

What would your life had been like with this sort of a perspective had you been born a helot? And not a Spartan's illegitimate child, either - a helot derived of other helots. Or hell, just about any sort of system of unfree labor, not just a sodbuster or a general purpose laborer.

By your own theory, wouldn't that mean it would keep happening... eternally?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I think :agesilaus: here can't even conceive of not being an aristocrat. They lack imagination or empathy so they find the idea of being anything but a pampered child of privilege preposterous. That they claim to be a philosopher while fantasizing about the Lakedemonians, a people famous for not producing any thinkers of note, gives the game up: all they care about is being the boot. They're just another greedy, amoral oppressor in a long line of the same, with their only thoughts being how to justify their inhumanity while sounding lofty.

gently caress Sparta, btw.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well yeah he's a landlord

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

as the decades dragged on even being a spartiate didn't keep you from getting the boot on your back. eventually the royal families and their favored spartiates controlled almost everything and pushed the other spartiates to the edge of subsistence because as a spartiate you weren't legally allowed to work even if you weren't a useless gently caress

definitely a great system worthy of millennia of admiration

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When does Keldoclock return

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nessus posted:

If you left aside philosopher/intellectual, what social role do you believe you would have in the ancient world? We'll even be generous - let's assume you get one that suits your talent and training, because statistically the answer would be "peasant" by a decisive majority until quite recently.

"Talent", "training" and "intellectual" doing a lot of work in this post. (Not disagreeing with the overall point though)

But why is anyone assuming this rear end in a top hat has formal training in the Classics? Everything so far screams internet fascist spartaboo who read a bunch to try to justify his horrific politics.

The "I'm sure you got that from a YouTube video" quip was just way too on the nose.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jazerus posted:

as the decades dragged on even being a spartiate didn't keep you from getting the boot on your back. eventually the royal families and their favored spartiates controlled almost everything and pushed the other spartiates to the edge of subsistence because as a spartiate you weren't legally allowed to work even if you weren't a useless gently caress

definitely a great system worthy of millennia of admiration
It seems that the idea is that since at one point it worked that way, or at least we don't have any evidence it didn't work that way, then due to the nature of time, that means it always has worked that way, and always can work that way.

It's a very anti-person attitude, but I suppose an ancient Greek decided it and we don't own land, so

Lead out in cuffs posted:

"Talent", "training" and "intellectual" doing a lot of work in this post. (Not disagreeing with the overall point though)

But why is anyone assuming this rear end in a top hat has formal training in the Classics? Everything so far screams internet fascist spartaboo who read a bunch to try to justify his horrific politics.

The "I'm sure you got that from a YouTube video" quip was just way too on the nose.
I think because this is a nine days' wonder just for its novelty, mostly

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When does Keldoclock return

Wasn't Keldoclock Ukrainian? He's probably too busy right now to post.

EDIT: Oh God, what if Keldoclock was Zelenskyy all along :aaa:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Personally I find the gimmick pretty funny but I'm optimistic that any bystanders reading are aware that a small cult of psychos beating, murdering, and raping a large mass of slaves is not worthy of even a second's admiration.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Part of why it's funny is because it's so absurd no one here could possibly take it seriously, so nothing to get actual mad about.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aristocrats everywhere are not only a tiny minority but also, without exception, extremely inbred and thus far too stupid to understand even the most basic aspects of human life. This is not taking into account the sociological aspects of the upper class who have never had to experience any sort of consequence for anything in life and as a result have no morality at all.

Thus the only ethical approach is to execute them all on sight without exception.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well, this idiot can't even formulate why he likes his supposedly favourite philosophy, so you can be certain he's just a fascist with an aesthetic.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I usually assume anyone educated in "The Classics" is at least a bit of a fascist.

At least if they're British but that goes without saying as the perfidious Anglo is naturally fascistic.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Posting in the ancient history threat about how 95% of the people who have made it into the historical record are subhuman scum incapable of emotion.

Like, :agesilaus: is nuts but if you genuinely hate everyone in human history for not spontaneously erupting into luxury gay space communism then why even bother studying it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Strategic Tea posted:

Posting in the ancient history threat about how 95% of the people who have made it into the historical record are subhuman scum incapable of emotion.

Like, :agesilaus: is nuts but if you genuinely hate everyone in human history for not spontaneously erupting into luxury gay space communism then why even bother studying it?

There's a difference between hating them and acknowledging they ain't valid role models for 21st century.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

Those who are not perpetually pissingly furious at literally every event history are doomed to experience other, more uncomfortable emotions repeat it.

steinrokkan posted:

There's a difference between hating them and acknowledging they ain't valid role models for 21st century.
Yeah it's not like there wasn't cool stuff then, and there are probably aspects and ideas in every culture that could be looked at thoughtfully and learned from. But the whole 'yes, the Spartans are a model of virtue', like, for who? In what way? What if I like to season my food and not own slaves?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rome was cool but I don't think Italy should violently conquer the Mediterranean again

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

Rome was cool but I don't think Italy should violently conquer the Mediterranean again

Well the brain geniuses of RPGCodex.net(TM) would disagree with your puerile analysis

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah they also need to take the rest of Europe, Africa and America

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

Nessus posted:

An interesting and very aristocratic outlook, which I am sure you will take as a descriptor not a judgment.

What would your life had been like with this sort of a perspective had you been born a helot? And not a Spartan's illegitimate child, either - a helot derived of other helots. Or hell, just about any sort of system of unfree labor, not just a sodbuster or a general purpose laborer.

By your own theory, wouldn't that mean it would keep happening... eternally?

When you say, "with this sort of perspective", are you asking how a helot would behave if it had such an opinion/perspective? If I was that helot, I would have to decide whether to accept my social status and pursue virtue in that context. If I accept it, then I would probably take pleasure in my family life, and I would engage with the local religious and social institutions. Maybe I would gather local myths and share them, or cultivate some practical art like cooking, or identifying plants, or whatever captures my fancy as I get older. All the other loyal helots would love me and, depending on the time period, my hometown would be free from invasion and raids.

If I have some burning ambition and cannot accept my station, then I have to decide whether to work in the system or go beyond it. If I'm going to be a loyalist, I'll strive to become a neodamodeis, or at least try to learn a practical skill that could make me particularly valuable. If a strong and loyal helot can become a neodamodeis, maybe a helot talented in a practical trade could become a perioikoi.

If I'm not a loyalist, and I am ambitious and adventurous, then I suppose I would want to flee to some foreign land. Depending on the time period and/or my skillset, I might be welcomed with open arms. If I was particularly bitter and had some grudge against the military class, maybe I would sign up to a rebellion movement and get myself killed. Finally, if I was fed up with it all, I would retire to the forests like an ancient chinese or hellenic sage; I believe self-imposed exile should be an option for every individual regardless of their class, and checking out would not have been difficult in antiquity (putting aside survival skills and preparation).

On the last sentence, I assume you're referring to my own philosophical/metaphysical ideas. I don't know the significance of what you're asking here. A strict eternalist model of time ensures that each moment or event is inviolate; the chronology exists as a whole. So yes, the fact that there was such a helot doesn't become false, but I think the context needs to be fleshed out more before we try to treat it like a groundhog day scenario.

Anyway, I'm also unclear what this overall line of questioning is getting at, unless you're just saying "have some sympathy." In which case yes, I can be sympathetic, and I can also appreciate the challenges of life, the context of human society, etc. Maybe as someone who is interested in buddhism, you can answer a question for me: I thought buddhists believed in reincarnation, and that your status is in some way impacted by your previous life or karma? I would like to learn about buddhism, please tell us about the possibility of natural born helots.

FishFood posted:

That they claim to be a philosopher while fantasizing about the Lakedemonians, a people famous for not producing any thinkers of note, gives the game up: all they care about is being the boot.

Plenty of philosophers respected the Lakedaimonians, you are being ridiculous. Appreciating Sparta's virtues in no way disqualifies one from being a philosopher, if anything it shows they have a mature mind capable of fully considering complex issues.

Anyway, I cut out the rest of the nonsense you wrote, and I won't bother quoting the other posts where americans were wringing their hands and crying about slavery or whatever. I regard helotry as a type of serfdom. I think serfdom is a practical and helpful institution that should be implemented to varying degrees in most countries today. Some countries like China do so, to their overall benefit.

As for the private ownership and breeding of slaves, I don't think it is a suitable or positive institution today, at least not in any country with which I am familiar. I can envision certain scenarios where it makes sense, but it's pointless to discuss them. To seriously discuss ethics, we need to discuss morality, because ethics is applied morality. To discuss which political models and practices are appropriate, we also need to consider the overall context of the society, the quality and expectations of its members, etc. The real discussion will grow from there, and it won't involve shedding tears about the fact that we can have a nuanced view on slavery.

Those whose are incapable of such objectivity and philosophical spirit simply aren't ready to participate. If they do control the discussion it will be positively harmful. Trying to drag people into a place they don't belong doesn't do any good. Most users should till the forum fields quietly, they can post in the cooking thread and other places suitable to their nature.

Grand Fromage posted:

Part of why it's funny is because it's so absurd no one here could possibly take it seriously, so nothing to get actual mad about.

Yes, good job, calm them down and reassure them. The forum goers who remain here, with few exceptions, are like stunted children, no? They've learnt the pre-approved ideas and words, but if they encounter something different they need an adult to hold their hand and tell them they're good. As long as you keep an eye on them and maintain the peace, they're tolerable and ensure a baseline amount of forum activity, but if you give them a say things will rapidly degenerate. Which is what happened previously at this site: the masters were dissolute and gave free rein to the internet helotry.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine writing that many words without saying anything of substance.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I literally can't imagine being dumb enough to do so.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If I were a helot I'd take solace in my posting on RPGCodex.net(TM)(r)(c), the philosophy Central for illiterates and 13 year old incels such as myself

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imagine writing that many words without saying anything of substance.

It really is an art form. I don't think I've ever seen anybody so thoroughly vapid as this guy. It must take great training to avoid obtaining any insight into anything.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Parmenides nuts

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

It really is an art form. I don't think I've ever seen anybody so thoroughly vapid as this guy. It must take great training to avoid obtaining any insight into anything.

Now hold on we did get insight into how serfdom is good, actually

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

the yeti posted:

Parmenides nuts

Lmao

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

the yeti posted:

Parmenides nuts

I'm surprised how long it took for a real philosopher to emerge

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Carthage was the good guys

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Buschmaki posted:

Carthage was the good guys

Eh, neither Rome nor Carthage were good guys.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vercengetorix was the good guy though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Parmenides posted:

When you say, "with this sort of perspective", are you asking how a helot would behave if it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Eh, neither Rome nor Carthage were good guys.

Remember what I said about archaeological evidence casting doubt on Spartan child-killing? Archaeological evidence tends to confirm Carthaganian child-killing.