Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/moshik_temkin/status/1540748759302213633

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol that the democrats are literally milhouse when bart buys that factory

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The problems are bad, but their causes, they're very good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We could either

1. get rid of the filibuster and pass things that could demonstrably help people and maintain power by actually improving lives

Or

2. Make Bumfights a federally mandated program

Dems: :thunk:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
when people tell me to vote all i can think is to vote against joe biden, who is refusing to do anything to fix any of the problems i care about

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good soup! posted:

We could either

1. get rid of the filibuster and pass things that could demonstrably help people and maintain power by actually improving lives

Or

2. Make Bumfights a federally mandated program

Dems: :thunk:

what about instead we do tax breaks for bum fight operators who run bum fights in disadvantaged neighborhoods for at least 5 years?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

what about instead we do tax breaks for bum fight operators who run bum fights in disadvantaged neighborhoods for at least 5 years?

What if instead we propose a task force to study forming a committee to do that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

docbeard posted:

What if instead we propose a task force to study forming a committee to do that?

now we're cooking with clean renewable natural gas

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1540821233939382273?s=20&t=IDtXjln-az3tRo6IGXs9mA

lol when you've lost this guy

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

when people tell me to vote all i can think is to vote against joe biden, who is refusing to do anything to fix any of the problems i care about

ah so you're voting for desantos

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/1540731554585989121?s=20&t=o9Hkx5MTWOjAm2aQ89tTjw

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

*narrator voice* it was decided decades ago by the federalist society that this day would come

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

They've had 2 months and literally nothing. Lmao. Senile loser

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
"Do something!!"

dems: :jerry:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

this is basically trump and we don’t want trump

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ex post facho posted:

"Do something!!"

dems: "someone (not us, obviously) should do something"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Brogeoisie posted:

They've had 2 months and literally nothing. Lmao. Senile loser

hey now they clearly spent that time tightening up those fundraising email templates

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hey now they clearly spent that time tightening up those fundraising email templates

Its incredible really. Like at least have a better deflection response written up other than "yeah we have no strategy lmao"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

this is basically trump and we don’t want trump

This is literally the d&d consensus almost verbatim

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
There’s a nonzero chance they aren’t putting Biden on the road because when he’s lucid he’d say something super dumb and inflammatory.

He’s still pro-life, at least when you catch him when all the lights are on.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
biden supported the hyde amendment in 2019

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

There’s a nonzero chance they aren’t putting Biden on the road because when he’s lucid he’d say something super dumb and inflammatory.

He’s still pro-life, at least when you catch him when all the lights are on.

yeah normally you'd want the president to make a speech about one of the most important parts of his party's platform getting destroyed
it's pretty telling they're not even bothering to wheel him out

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
biden is a useless piece of poo poo

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Homocow posted:

owns that he achieved his life goal only to be too senile and flaccid to be anything other than the worst president since the civil war.

just the perfect storm of incompetence, infighting, and being ideologically behind the base.

sucks that this all means he’s president and not like a terrible elvis impersonator or something.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

owns that he achieved his life goal only to be too senile and flaccid to be anything other than the worst president since the first civil war.

Don't know if it'll just be a pogrom or an actual war, but it's not that far off now

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Homocow posted:

He said nothing will fundamentally change and boy he meant it

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

ex post facho posted:

"Do something!!"

dems: :jerry:

taking another two week vacation is something

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Lord of Pie posted:

taking another two week vacation is something

It's always fun to check this calendar when something horrific happens. A good excuse for them as people lose steam.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MLSM posted:

He said nothing will fundamentally change and boy he meant it

I think that's probably not right either. I'm not sure I'm right and I'm not really sure I can articulate it but it sure feels like there's been a shift in the foundation. On Chapo they put it as "Biden ran on 'Things are weird, I'll de-weird them' but once things are weird they can't go back" and that's not quite right either but it's close. Like things were hairy in 2020 ngl but it's like the problems are still here and growing, the republicans are accomplishing generational goals and racking up wins, their most fervent supporters are absolutely unhinged from reality, and it's completely apparent to everyone that this administration has failed at its most basic mission which was just to not let things fall apart. I guess I'm saying that it kind of feels like things may have already fundamentally changed and we haven't even gotten to the worst parts yet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The Washington Generals would have beat the Globetrotters once in approximately every twenty games, if not for the Globetrotters’ dirty tricks.

This contrasts with the Democrats, who couldn’t beat a fish in a footrace.

oh but it’s more fun that that. in short, the globe trotters and the generals come from the same general audition pool and are all div I ncaa talent at worst - they can play ball. games are “real” in a way similar to WWE style pro wrestling. ie, the outcome is predetermined and there are scheduled set pieces but time in between is improvised, more or less a real scrimmage. the game clock is kept normally more or less. the set pieces provide a large point floor for the globe trotters but not enough that it would usually be a blow out.

in the game the generals won, the globe trotters had scored less than usual during the “real” parts and the generals score more. as time ran down, the globe trotters were up by just 2 points. a Washington general player had the ball as the game clock expired so did what any basketball player does as time expires - a half court heave. it went in. I would assume that they’d have had refs say it didn’t count or something afterward like how WWE would try and unravel an out of control shoot but too late, they already shot Santa in front of all the 5 year olds in the audience.

now, let’s talk about the 2020 Georgia senate race….

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jabronie posted:

It's always fun to check this calendar when something horrific happens. A good excuse for them as people lose steam.

the “to be fair” here would be that congresspeople have two offices - one in their district and one in Washington that they split time between so the calendar only shows when they are working in Washington as opposed to their district.

in reality: :rubby:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I think that's probably not right either. I'm not sure I'm right and I'm not really sure I can articulate it but it sure feels like there's been a shift in the foundation. On Chapo they put it as "Biden ran on 'Things are weird, I'll de-weird them' but once things are weird they can't go back" and that's not quite right either but it's close. Like things were hairy in 2020 ngl but it's like the problems are still here and growing, the republicans are accomplishing generational goals and racking up wins, their most fervent supporters are absolutely unhinged from reality, and it's completely apparent to everyone that this administration has failed at its most basic mission which was just to not let things fall apart. I guess I'm saying that it kind of feels like things may have already fundamentally changed and we haven't even gotten to the worst parts yet.

biden's (and the dems') promise wasn't to de-weird things, it was to make trump not be president anymore. a lot of people projected their own desires of a government that take some action to make things go back to normal, but biden never promised that he'd do anything to bring things back to normal, only that him being president and trump not being president would necessarily imply everything going back to normal. beyond his pledge that "nothing will fundamentally change," remember that his plan for returning the policymaking apparatus of the government to a functional state was that once he was president, the republicans would suddenly come to their senses and will want to work with the democrats to create and pass laws. when the strategy of "do nothing and let the system return to equilibrium by itself" didn't work out, they ran out of ideas.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

It still tickles me that the Democrats created the cloture rule that is preventing them from passing anything. It's loving hilarious.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Me, an Average American: driving on freeway and spot a "miss me yet" billboard with trump instead of bush

Also me: pull over to the shoulder and start crying and pounding my fist on the wheel. "I do! ... I do."

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Libs: VOTE FOR MORE DEMOCRATS NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE

Elected Democrats: https://twitter.com/raaviolii/status/1540741954899742720?s=20&t=acph7CoRDcI_yje95QulRA

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

theCalamity posted:

It still tickles me that the Democrats created the cloture rule that is preventing them from passing anything. It's loving hilarious.

lol is there more reading on this

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

theCalamity posted:

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Oglethorpe posted:

lol is there more reading on this

quote:

After a series of filibusters in the 1960s over civil rights legislation, the Senate put a "two-track system" into place in 1970 under the leadership of Democratic Majority Leader Mike Mansfield and Democratic Majority Whip Ted Kennedy . Before this system was introduced, a filibuster would stop the Senate from moving on to any other legislative activity. Tracking allows the majority leader—with unanimous consent or the agreement of the minority leader—to have more than one main motion pending on the floor as unfinished business. Under the two-track system, the Senate can have two or more pieces of legislation or nominations pending on the floor simultaneously by designating specific periods during the day when each one will be considered.

The notable side effect of this change was that by no longer bringing Senate business to a complete halt, filibusters on particular motions became politically easier for the minority to sustain. As a result, the number of filibusters began increasing rapidly, eventually leading to the modern era in which an effective supermajority requirement exists to pass legislation, with no practical requirement that the minority party actually hold the floor or extend debate.

In 1975, the Senate revised its cloture rule so that three-fifths of sworn senators (60 votes out of 100) could limit debate, except for changing Senate rules which still requires a two-thirds majority of those present and voting to invoke cloture. However, by returning to an absolute number of all Senators (60) rather than a proportion of those present and voting, the change also made any filibusters easier to sustain on the floor by a small number of senators from the minority party without requiring the presence of their minority colleagues. This further reduced the majority's leverage to force an issue through extended debate.

Another tactic, the post-cloture filibuster—which used points of order to delay legislation because they were not counted as part of the limited time allowed for debate—was rendered ineffective by a rule change in 1979.

As the filibuster has evolved from a rare practice that required holding the floor for extended periods into a routine 60-vote supermajority requirement, Senate leaders have increasingly used cloture motions as a regular tool to manage the flow of business, often even in the absence of a threatened filibuster. Thus, the presence or absence of cloture attempts is not necessarily a reliable indicator of the presence or absence of a threatened filibuster. Because filibustering does not depend on the use of any specific rules, whether a filibuster is present is always a matter of judgment.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

https://twitter.com/tradergrl/status/1540763858142277632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

theCalamity posted: