Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Larry Parrish posted:

do you think you need to be making a phone call for your microphone to be on dude. i mean sure android claims that only the active app ever has permissions yada yada. and yet mysteriously I receive targeted ads about stuff I talked with others about when my phone was locked and in my pocket. hmm.

I haven't used Android since 2019.

Best update Apple ever made:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol if you think that actually works

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

There's a difference between an app doing something, and it happening at the system level, hth

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and yet on every device ive ever owned including my windows pc, mysteriously system settings involving privacy were constantly 'unavoidably' reset during updates (which you can't turn off, merely delay) if they even worked in the first place (how would you even tell?). i guess my linux laptop I had as a teen didn't, but also this sort of tracking didn't really exist in 2011.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*in that guy's voice* Well actually I don't own a TV either,

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Corporation respects my privacy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

and yet on every device ive ever owned including my windows pc, mysteriously system settings involving privacy were constantly 'unavoidably' reset during updates (which you can't turn off, merely delay) if they even worked in the first place (how would you even tell?). i guess my linux laptop I had as a teen didn't, but also this sort of tracking didn't really exist in 2011.

:smugbert:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

I haven't used Android since 2019.

Best update Apple ever made:

https://lwn.net/Articles/826575/

rip

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://mashable.com/article/big-tech-lost-10-billion-ios-apple-privacy-changes
Seems to work.
A year later:
https://9to5mac.com/2022/04/13/apples-app-tracking-transparency-crackdown-estimated-to-cost-facebook-another-13-billion-in-2022/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 25, 2022

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i've simply given up hope and it makes worrying about these things much less stressful

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

do you think you need to be making a phone call for your microphone to be on dude. i mean sure android claims that only the active app ever has permissions yada yada. and yet mysteriously I receive targeted ads about stuff I talked with others about when my phone was locked and in my pocket. hmm.

They looked it up afterwards and it knows you were there.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

different things. DNT was a standard proposal for a universal opt-out but companies gave so little a poo poo that it ended up dying

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
anime

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yeah tbh

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Have you ever in your life seen someone actually look at a professional advertisement for more than a microsecond?

Yeah, super bowl ads

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, super bowl ads

People still watch live tv? Lmao

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

People still watch live tv? Lmao

Yeah I watch sports

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Casual Male XL Fan
May 26, 2008

agreed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm0igtO6fAk&hd=1

I am disappointed he wouldn't do the spine-destroying twirling of the caramelldansen girls

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

My brother wants to buy me a game for my birthday from the Steam sale. He knows I like JRPGs and SRPGs and the occasional VN so he asked if I wanted the Utawarerumono trilogy. Problem is that I dont know anything about it other than I have heard of it.

Is it a good series or is it one of those "good at the time of release, pretty dated now" things? I know it also has an anime adaptation. Basically I dont want him to get me a game I wont play more than a few hours of like the last 2 he got me as birthday gifts (Skyrim and Fallout 4).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Furnaceface posted:

My brother wants to buy me a game for my birthday from the Steam sale. He knows I like JRPGs and SRPGs and the occasional VN so he asked if I wanted the Utawarerumono trilogy. Problem is that I dont know anything about it other than I have heard of it.

Is it a good series or is it one of those "good at the time of release, pretty dated now" things? I know it also has an anime adaptation. Basically I dont want him to get me a game I wont play more than a few hours of like the last 2 he got me as birthday gifts (Skyrim and Fallout 4).

If you like SRPG’s and VN’s Utawarerumono is excellent. It has some pretty good tactical fights. The main story fights I don’t think ever get too challenging but if you do the optional fights you’ll get a decent challenge, and it has a really good story as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Furnaceface posted:

They're excellent, especially the Mask duo

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://youtu.be/1tv8qY9wAI8

Mask of Deception has an amazing opening.

They're all good but MOD is my fav

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

https://youtu.be/1tv8qY9wAI8

Mask of Deception has an amazing opening.

They're all good but MOD is my fav

Agreed on both counts

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://youtu.be/E0iL01PAfqU

Also the anime adaptation of the first game has one of my favorite OPs of all time.

Suara owns

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

quote:

Did the studio put some actual effort into it unlike the original?

Arc Hammer posted:

OG rwby is what happens when a guy who was best known for making spectacle fight animations suddenly has to come up with a story and his cowriters think watching anime and reading TV Tropes is a substitute for writing experience. And then the showrunner dies, the studio keeps going with zero direction and a lot of horrible poo poo starts leaking out of a toxic workplace environment.

This is kinda only partly accurate and I think misses the forest for the trees; it wasn't the co-workers idea to watch anime to learn to write anime; that was Monty's idea to put them into an "anime boot camp"; as he wanted RWBY to feel like anime; which yeah, as Hbomb I think rightly criticizes maybe isn't the best way of approaching how to write a story and do world build. But I also don't really see it as being a big deal, you wouldn't really criticize and hold to a high standard, a one man person's indie game or indie animation youtube highlight reel. So I don't think they thought their relative lack of experience was some kind of asset to the project, it was two friends helping their friend. It isn't like this was to be a major budget project in which staff were picked with that kind of intent. Monty for his help on the new animations for the latest Red vs Blue season at the time was given the greenlight to pursue his personal passion project on company time, with the obvious stipulation being he would need to find the majority of his talent in house, so of course he invites his two closest friends at the company to do the writing who also had (IIRC) writing credits for RvB.

Basically you need to contextualize early RWBY as being basically no different in kind from Haloid or his Final Fantasy Ninja Gaiden crossover thing; just with a little more budget from his patron Burnie Burns who basically gave him the keys to the spare employees who didn't have too much on their plate. In short, a fundamentally indie style production that happens to have a little more budget from their corporate sponsor; which rapidly upscaled in both staff and budget the moment it was successful.

RWBY vol 4 onwards is actually quite pretty but it isn't that they didn't put "effort" into the early volumes, there were limitations in budget, staffing, talent, and so on. It's like complaining Undertale or any other indie pixel art game lacks "effort" because they didn't have a million dollars to sink into it. That's a really silly criticism to have, especially when so much anime by bigger outfits have worse production issues and outcomes. Like literally last year.

I'm not really 100% on whether Monty or Kerry/Miles have that much to do with the crunch culture that afflicted RT at that point in time; Monty was certainly a workaholic with insane and unhealthy working habits but its hard to know how much that ethic bled into expectations for those who worked under him or how it intersected with the similar workaholism of the company founders, but its a little unfair to basically loosely conflate the writers weaknesses and Monty's decisions with the crunch culture at the time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

careful you'll catch a permaban if it turns out they're a goon who's posted 5 times or whatever in the coupons forum

lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think part of it is that when CGI is low budget, it looks a lot more jarring than when 2D is, and it can be a bit hard to go "Well it's an indie project" when it's got all this marketing behind it, it's streaming on Crunchyroll, it's getting all this merchandise, it was in fact a franchise.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I attempted to watch the first episode and it somehow looked and felt like a badly translated PS2 cutscene so I turned it off after about 30 seconds which is how long it took me to start spamming every button on my Dualshock when I'd encountered that before. If that's the vibe they wanted I guess it was achieved but I'm not sure who wanted to replicate the sinking feeling of having wasted the rental Mom let you pick that week.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

on the one hand, rwby is basically an indie project made by a bunch of modestly-experienced creators cutting their teeth on a project that'd be really ambitious if it were a newgrounds animation or forum project.
but on the other hand, rooster teeth is a subsidiary of warner bros with 400 employees and they should be able to do a lot better than 'ambitious forum project that looks like a mediocre renderware game' with resources like that

Schir fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 26, 2022

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
rwby is a dumb sounding name

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mycophobia posted:

rwby is a dumb sounding name

It sounds both like Ruby's name, and an acronym for the 4 main characters names and color coding, Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang. Idk I think it's kind of clever and uniquely catchy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If anything the anime magnifies the weakness of the original by speed running the plot. It really drives home the fact the plot is just a lose outline of points and not an actual fleshed out story

Also the action scenes while we'll animated are rather boring and uninteresting and a good example of why good sakuga doesn't always equal a good show or a good action scene

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julias posted:

It sounds both like Ruby's name, and an acronym for the 4 main characters names and color coding, Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang. Idk I think it's kind of clever and uniquely catchy.

How does arr double you bee whyy sound anything at all like ruby.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The absolute state of Other Country posting

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ruwuby

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larry Parrish posted:

How does arr double you bee whyy sound anything at all like ruby.

You pronounce the w like the w in would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rwuuhby