Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The raspberry is by far the worst berry

A case can certainly be made. All those little loving seeds. And they turn to mush quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My mum's old place in the archipelago used to have raspberries growing right outside the door by the path.

Sorry that's not an opinion .

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a corn muffin.

:psypop:

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe like Deep South or something, I never see 'em in a bakery up here. And our Blueberry outsells our other muffins 2:1.

I live in New York City and every place I've been to that sells muffins sells corn muffins.

quote:

If they topped Cupcakes like Cake Cake's they'd be fine. It's the mountain that's the problem. Modern Bakeries put far too much emphasis on Aesthetics at the cost of Taste.

Platystemon posted:

Almost everything that has frosting has way too much of it.

:agreed:

Tiggum posted:

Brownies are poo poo. I do not understand the appeal. They taste... fine? Not great. And the texture's nothing to write home about either. They are the platonic ideal of "that was a dessert, I guess". Just a thing that exists and can be categorised.

Too much chocolate with nothing else to balance it out. It's not my favorite, but I don't necessarily hate it.

Mu Zeta posted:

Brownies are a good vehicle for vanilla ice cream.

Also weed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tiggum posted:

Brownies are poo poo. I do not understand the appeal. They taste... fine? Not great. And the texture's nothing to write home about either. They are the platonic ideal of "that was a dessert, I guess". Just a thing that exists and can be categorised.

See the thing is everywhere has different sorts of brownie consistency and almost all of them (as long as they don't fall too close to cake) are nice.

I just like them a lot as they are closer to my true love, chocolate biscuits and slabs of chocolate.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Cheese, maybe brie, but also could be something else, is the best dessert. Some port to go with it. :discourse: :cheersdoge:

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
Soda should cost like $10 a gallon. How much sense does it make that if you carbonate water and add corn syrup and other stuff to it, it’s cheaper than plain water? Also it’s killing you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It isn't cheaper than water

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

It isn't cheaper than water

I assume they mean bottled water.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm aware. But it's a nonsensical thing to say.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Is it even cheaper than that? Anyway bottled water is a horrible symptom of capitalism and one of the ways the rich are destroying the world.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, a 20oz of Dew is 2.19 and a liter of water is ¢99

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The price of soda shot through the roof with inflation so that guys weird wish for it to be $10 a gallon is almost granted. It's like $7 for a 12 pack now

I have a device that dispenses water for almost free its p cool

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
$20

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Soda should be cheaper. Fountain soda is a huge grift. It's usually about 1-2 cents of syrup in a drink. One of the highest profit margin items at fast food places.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I pay 10€ a month for water that's cleaner than Evian (which, to be fair, doesn't take much). I use it to wash my arse and balls, among other things.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The secret is to just not buy bottled water. Vote with your wallet!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

alexandriao posted:

How... What...

What??

:confused:

You ever feel like you just don't really wanna do things? Just go to sleep instead of lift a weight. Open a beer instead of getting on a train because you wanna gently caress. ? That's a moment where religion can step in and push you over.

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.

doverhog posted:

You ever feel like you just don't really wanna do things? Just go to sleep instead of lift a weight. Open a beer instead of getting on a train because you wanna gently caress. ? That's a moment where religion can step in and push you over.

Indeed. Instead I tend to get my cardio (short for car radio) when lifting beers to 103.9 KNIN The Dawg home of Chester our local BJ (beans jockey)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Whatever gets you there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doing Cardio is a moral failure

Irregardless
Jan 19, 2007

not even once.
There is a reason pcp stands for primary care psychologist

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Certain corporations are now better at protecting women's rights than loving Pelosi

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Pelosi, and most of her party, has never had any intention of protecting women's rights, or improving the material conditions for anyone except themselves. They are bribed by the same billionaires as the Republicans are, and will work extra hard to keep down any threats from within their party.

Biden or Obama can't get anything done (except make sure Bernie loses) because that is their role, paid opposition. When they actually have a majority, you gotta build bipartisan support, defer to Manchin, etc. because their whole purpose is to prevent the left from changing things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Corn-based stuff like that just common here.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

If we are going to do politics stuff then I think unionisation coupled with large scale market disruption is going to be more effective than electoral politics over the next few years.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I pay 10€ a month for water that's cleaner than Evian (which, to be fair, doesn't take much). I use it to wash my arse and balls, among other things.

But environmentalists always say that cotton uses a lot of water.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

If we are going to do politics stuff then I think unionisation coupled with large scale market disruption is going to be more effective than electoral politics over the next few years.

It's true. Labour organizing is the what the elites fear, because denying your labour to someone who needs it is the most powerful tool anyone has, as long as we are talking peace time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mash sucks. It looks and feels like the nutrient paste you'd get from a food machine in a dystopia and the only function it serves is to be a vector for things that actually enjoyable to eat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Mash sucks. It looks and feels like the nutrient paste you'd get from a food machine in a dystopia and the only function it serves is to be a vector for things that actually enjoyable to eat.

You're not putting enough butter in it. Also, try adding some tarragon. Game changer.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tiggum posted:

You're not putting enough butter in it.
Like I said it's a vector for things that actually taste nice, and it still looks and feels like something you'd feed an unadventurous toddler.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

drat a nutrient rich food that is filling and can be flavored in a variety of ways -that sucks!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
“Ugh, I boiled these potatoes and then smashed them into a paste adding nothing and all they taste like is potatoes! What a rip off!”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Roast potatoes are easier to make, look nicer, and taste better.

Robobot posted:

“Ugh, I boiled these potatoes and then smashed them into a paste adding nothing and all they taste like is potatoes! What a rip off!”

I added cream, butter, and salt. All of those are nice, as was the mustard and cream sauce that the mash picked up. It's just mash itself is a singularly overrated food and is one of the worst things you can do with potatoes other than make a salad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

But environmentalists always say that cotton uses a lot of water.

Yeah, well, I pay 10€ a month for a lot of water, then?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

doverhog posted:

It's true. Labour organizing is the what the elites fear, because denying your labour to someone who needs it is the most powerful tool anyone has, as long as we are talking peace time.

I think that and increasingly constant protests will be a major feature of the next decade or so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Like I said it's a vector for things that actually taste nice
Sure, the butter and tarragon are the bits that make it taste great, but I do not want to drink a glass of tarragon-infused butter. The mashed potato is an absolutely necessary component.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

Juneteenth has a rather prodigal son feel to it. It's not specifically a celebration of the end of slavery, or the Emancipation or the end of the war or any of that. It's a celebration for Texas who finally let their slaves go two fuckin years after the rest of the country. Like, it's specifically about Texas being two years late to the game.

(this part edited out because it felt largely just ignorant and racist, which I'm trying not to be, while trying to express my frustration over a name, which just makes me sound racist)

But, goddammit Juneteenth is a silly name, no matter what it's about.

Juneteenth was June 19th, 1865, aka immediately as Union troops entered and occupied Texas, the furthest confederate state from invasion. The place sucks enough without making poo poo up. Did you confuse two months with two years?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The fact that Americans were OK with bombing the Vietnamese instead of using thermonuclear weapons on Texas tells you all you need to know about Americans.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

And now Texas has some of the best Vietnamese food in the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Juneteenth was June 19th, 1865, aka immediately as Union troops entered and occupied Texas, the furthest confederate state from invasion. The place sucks enough without making poo poo up. Did you confuse two months with two years?

Well, I must admit I was rather ignorant about the whole thing. I first learned of Juneteenth in 2008 when I was in a Texas jail, and then living in Texas for a little bit. I moved back North shortly thereafter and wouldn't even hear "Juneteenth" mentioned outside of Texas for almost ten years. The Emancipation became official two and a half years before Juneteenth. From juneteenth.com:

quote:

Later attempts to explain this two and a half year delay in the receipt of this important news have yielded several versions that have been handed down through the years. Often told is the story of a messenger who was murdered on his way to Texas with the news of freedom. Another is that the news was deliberately withheld by the enslavers to maintain the labor force on the plantations. And still another is that federal troops actually waited for the slave owners to reap the benefits of one last cotton harvest before going to Texas to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation. All of which, or none of these versions could be true. Certainly, for some, President Lincoln’s authority over the rebellious states was in question. Whatever the reasons, conditions in Texas remained status quo well beyond what was statutory.

In the Texas jail, there were no extra possibilities; inmates and cops alike were in agreement that Texas wasn't going to release their slaves until troops came to make them do it, even if they had the news of the Emancipation and the appropriate official orders or whatever. This was the version I first came to know... and I guess until, uh, today I didn't really look further into it.

Edit: I'm really trying not to sound defensive about my ignorance but I don't know how to better articulate that in text :\

Edit 2 for rando anecdote: Juneteenth was a special kind of holiday for Texas jails, and instead of normal meals, we got stereotypical meals like collared greens, chicken and waffles, other awkwardly chosen foods.

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Jun 26, 2022