Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Have the grand inquisitor show up, rescue Vader, but decline to take on Obi-wan because he's a weedy piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

robot roll call posted:

I've been mostly negative about this show but I did like the end of the duel when he hosed up vader's helmet and wheezing anakin was screaming at him with the malfunctioning voicebox, much cooler than I was expecting by this point

yeah that was genuinely pretty good

this is all there is on the wiki for the construction of the Supremacy:

quote:

The ship was built by the First Order at staggering cost within the galaxy's Unknown Regions to act as the official capital of the First Order on the orders of Supreme Leader Snoke. Although various officers and allies of the First Order argued for a planet to act as their capital, Snoke insisted on using the Supremacy as the main capital, refusing to designate capital command to a world either under direct First Order control or in the Unknown Regions—at least until the restoration of total galactic control, as part of Snoke's aim to restore and further expand the territory formerly belonging to the Galactic Empire.[1] Armitage Hux agreed with the strategy to keep the capital of the First Order aboard the Supremacy, seeing it as a way to mitigate the risk of it being destroyed in battle when mobile.

lame.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Nothing that Star Wars calls a LASER is ever actually a laser. Turbolasers are just giant blasters, for example. Lightsabers aren't even actual light.

Which to say that Star Wars doesn't so much break physics and complete ignore it. Hence relativity just not existing and everyone being able to see distant planets exploding as it happens rather than a million years later.

Apparently the novelization tries to explain it away instead of just letting it be. Something about Starkiller base using "phantom energy" and firing the weapon causes a tear in hyperspace that made it visible everywhere in the galaxy lol

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jisforjosh posted:

Apparently the novelization tries to explain it away instead of just letting it be. Something about Starkiller base using "phantom energy" and firing the weapon causes a tear in hyperspace that made it visible everywhere in the galaxy lol

I'm honestly fine with that. As an explanation for that one thing? I don't care whether it is explained or not for it's own sake, because it's really just a directorial contrivance, and that's fine but I do like explanations like that existing because it means that future entries might make use of that explanation for tactics or technology, expanding the setting a bit and allowing for more varied plot elements. They probably won't, but I like that kind of silly technobabble bullshit science regardless.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

josh04 posted:

Have the grand inquisitor show up, rescue Vader, but decline to take on Obi-wan because he's a weedy piece of poo poo.

"I can't carry on the Emperor's will, but I can carry you."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
What the gently caress was the point in Reva?
I feel like her plan made no sense, their plan involving her plan made no sense either.

Outside of "how did she even know who luke was because Bail's message wasn't enough" why would killing the kid vader doesn't even KNOW HE HAS mean anything to Vader??

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Taear posted:

Outside of "how did she even know who luke was because Bail's message wasn't enough" why would killing the kid vader doesn't even KNOW HE HAS mean anything to Vader??

What's interesting is that at no point does Reva learn that Luke is Vader's kid. All she learns from the message is that there's a child that Obi-Wan is protecting on Tatooine, and that Owen is involved (who she met previously). So she goes to kill Luke purely to gently caress with Obi-Wan, who she blames for not helping the younglings at the temple. It doesn't make sense because she's at the end of her rope and acting on pure rage and spite.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

read the script, luke....

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The leaks, which were highly accurate for the beginning of the show but then trailed off, had reva still working for vader at that point and going to get luke for that reason before having her moment of doubt, peaceing out, then getting killed by vader.

Seems plausible they hacked something together when it was decided at the eleventh hour she would become goodguy and live

e: I'm not sure it was ever linked ITT, in case people are curious here

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 25, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just watched the message scene again and it's really ambiguous, it says:

"He's found them... if he learns.. the children.. Owen.. help the boy"

She's just uncovered a whole network dedicated to helping force sensitives and Jedi, it seems more likely that she'd jump to "Obi Wan is hiding a youngling" than "DARTH VADER HAS KIDS". Maybe they edited that part to be more uncertain.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

did they think while filming it they really had something with that character, maybe?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

https://screenrant.com/obi-wan-kenobi-lightsabers-glow-dark-lighting-problem/

So this article is too long but I skimmed through it and whoever was responsible for Obi Wan was lazy and chose to film the lightsabers in a way that not only looks awful but was unfixable in any sort of post production. Which sums up the laziness of the production for the whole series.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
The last fight between Vader and ObiWan was very engaging and well-done, its a shame the rest of the show was so mediocre. It really feels like they had this cool scene they wanted to show, and then built a lackluster frame around it to get to that point. It wasn't as bad as The Book of Robert Feet, but it did squander Ewan McGregor for most of the runtime. Overall, disappointing but with that one bright spot of the final duel.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just Chamber posted:

https://screenrant.com/obi-wan-kenobi-lightsabers-glow-dark-lighting-problem/

So this article is too long but I skimmed through it and whoever was responsible for Obi Wan was lazy and chose to film the lightsabers in a way that not only looks awful but was unfixable in any sort of post production. Which sums up the laziness of the production for the whole series.

quote:

Ewan McGregor revealed that every line of dialogue in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones had to be redubbed with ADR because the movie was the first feature film shot with a digital camera, resulting in a number of unexpected combinations, such as the camera ruining all the on-set audio.

quote:

"They were cutting edge technology ... they had huge umbilical cords coming out the back of the cameras, and you couldn't change the lenses. Or, they could change the lenses but it would take like, half an hour. So everything was just shot on a zoom lens. The umbilicals led to this big tent in the corner of the stage that literally hummed. It was so noisy. And when in post-production, they realized at the end that the noise they made was exactly the frequency of the human voice. So we had to ADR every single line of Episode 2. None of the original dialogue made it through because of that, because the cameras were like, so new. None of the bugs had been worked out yet. So compared to what we're doing now, it's like night and day."

:stare: Wow

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 25, 2022

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
first world problems, but those bright white flashes during the flashbacks in the obiwan vader fight and throughout the episode were pure hell on my oled with the disney dolby vision stream. had to crank up the bias lighting real high to stop the pain and even then it was annoying

this show was truly surprising in its badness. i liked some of the fight and the broken vader mask and anakin in general, but the rest made boba fett truly look like a work of art

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean massive problem, but it does also highlight that a couple of things the Prequels have going for them is that they were breaking new ground in filmmaking and Lucas wasn't plagiarizing himself.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dont they basically ADR everything in star wars anyway, what with dudes in plastic costumes stomping around

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ewan McGregor's server room nightmare is pretty funny.

The screenrant article is probably dead on about the blue LEDs blowing out Obi-wan's face and forcing them to do all the lightsaber scenes dark and low-contrast to hide it, that seems pretty plausible. Weird that they wouldn't have spotted that in test shoots but maybe they were just that rushed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What's interesting is that at no point does Reva learn that Luke is Vader's kid. All she learns from the message is that there's a child that Obi-Wan is protecting on Tatooine, and that Owen is involved (who she met previously). So she goes to kill Luke purely to gently caress with Obi-Wan, who she blames for not helping the younglings at the temple. It doesn't make sense because she's at the end of her rope and acting on pure rage and spite.

No I know. There's just no reason for the end at all. Reva's story makes literally no sense.
So Anakin came and killed her buddies, making her hate Anakin. Sure, okay.
She joined the inquisitors to get close to Darth Vader, who she knows somehow is Anakin. Okay...I guess? I know Vader trains them so maybe she found that out somehow.

But she doesn't do anything when she becomes Grand Inquisitor. At no point does she enact any of her plan. So that part of the story means nothing.
And Vader KNEW she wasn't really on his side, so he orchestrated a fall for her where Rupert Friend turned out to still be alive. I'd get this if she'd got close to Obiwan and Vader used Reva to do the same.
Nope though. No reason for Vader to not just immediately kill her.

I've no idea what the point of her was at all and that's really poo poo.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Should have pulled an Inglourious Basterds: Obi-Wan kills Vader, Reva kills Luke. Have the show end there. Would have nearly made the whole thing worth watching.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That would have absolutely slapped.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Interesting thing to note: no one is highlighting Hayden Christensen as any sort of problem in the show. I remember people pissing their pants over him almost years ago (oh christ I’m old). But I thought he and the chemistry he had with McGregor were some of the best parts of the show, and IMO he was way underutilized. Not that I trust Disney with it, but I’d be down with a couple Vader episodes.

It was almost all worth it for that final duel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cause he’s in it for all of 3 minutes.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah seriously I truly loath how underutilized Hayden was. Like that half Vader/Anakin scene was loving amazing but I still can't believe there's only one flashback. I needed some Clone Wars flash backs of Obi-Wan and Anakin together fighting clankers. :(

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if Hayden Christensen was timid to return to acting for Star Wars for some reason, but the teasing out of his relatively limited performance worked well for me.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jehde posted:

I wonder if Hayden Christensen was timid to return to acting for Star Wars for some reason, but the teasing out of his relatively limited performance worked well for me.

Some reason? I'd think the reason he might be timid is pretty clear given the public lambasting he received for playing Anakin over the years. Jake Lloyd, the kid who played Anakin in The Phantom Menace retired from acting only a couple of years afterwards because he was being given so much poo poo in school and the press over the role. That said, even if he were to return to playing Anakin/Vader more, he'll be behind a mask the vast majority of the time so his presence will be a lot harder to detect unless his acting was truly loving abysmal anyway. You could pick up good acting through it via smaller gestures and so on, but it's easier to hide bad acting in that kind of situation. I don't think he is a bad actor, and it was more likely bad direction and acting in front of a green screen with no real context that probably hosed him, since he had a lot less experience than people like Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor etc.

The only way we'd really see a lot of him as Anakin is if they made a show about Anakin in a new timeline where he didn't fall to the Dark Side. Which I'd totally be down for, really. An "Infinities" style story for the prequels where Anakin resists the Dark Side and it's Obi Wan who becomes Palpatine's apprentice or some poo poo would be fairly cool.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NGL I’d watch a beta/gamma/delta timeline where Vader wins Mustafar instead of Obi-Wan, like in that one game. That’s actually be interesting in some way, which is why Disney won’t (and loving shouldn’t) do it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Pollyanna posted:

NGL I’d watch a beta/gamma/delta timeline where Vader wins Mustafar instead of Obi-Wan, like in that one game. That’s actually be interesting in some way, which is why Disney won’t (and loving shouldn’t) do it.

There have been a few things like that which has left me disappointed at how reluctant Star Wars as a franchise is to do "What If"s. I really would've liked a continuation of The Force Unleashed's DLC, for example.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What if Obi-Wan teams up with Count Dooku, instead of dismissing him actually telling the truth?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sash! posted:

What if Obi-Wan teams up with Count Dooku, instead of dismissing him actually telling the truth?

That'd lead to them bonding over Qui-Gon and redeeming Dooku, and we all know how Disney loves them redemptions

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

halokiller posted:

Should have pulled an Inglourious Basterds: Obi-Wan kills Vader, Reva kills Luke. Have the show end there. Would have nearly made the whole thing worth watching.

There's that one Perry Bible Fellowship comic about people in the far future watching a movie about WW2, and it's dudes riding on zebras killing Hitler with a lance, and wooden ships of the line and poo poo. I want a Star Wars like this from the perspective of people who have a totally corrupted view of what really went down. Maybe they could make it like that one episode of Star Trek Voyager where the holographic doctor gets reactivated in a museum hundreds of years in the future and has to answer for the crimes of his 'warlike' crew. The SW equivalent could be some banged up old droid getting reactivated, or someone getting unfrozen from carbonite or something.

Even better if it ends with the twist that it turns out the version of Star Wars we've all been familiar with is the corrupted version.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 26, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Run the script for the original The Star Wars through a dozen different language translators, then give it to an AI to use as a basis of telling a new Star Wars story and see what it spits out, then use that as the starting point of a new saga

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

Drunk in Space posted:

There's that one Perry Bible Fellowship comic about people in the far future watching a movie about WW2, and it's dudes riding on zebras killing Hitler with a lance, and wooden ships of the line and poo poo. I want a Star Wars like this from the perspective of people who have a totally corrupted view of what really went down.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I've seen this before, but only now do I notice the completely gratuitous missile

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

tsob posted:

I have never liked the argument that Batman should just kill the Joker or whoever. He is, essentially, a super cop. His job is to catch criminals, not kill them. If he starts executing them then he becomes not just the cop, but basically judge, jury and executioner all in one. He gets to decide when and where punishments apply, and you don't think the public would have a problem with that? He catches the Joker and hands him over all the time. If the death penalty applies, then let the state convict the Joker and kill him in a legal manner. If they don't, then it's on the state for failing to do so, not on Batman. Who is just a cop (ignoring the ACAB implications of him being a cop of course). He's done his job, and failure to hold or kill the Joker is on others and not Batman specifically. The public in DC is too apathetic to demand more, the state too incompetent to enforce more and they both deserve the blame more than Batman.

I forget where I read it, but I've always liked the implicit idea that the Gotham City Police Department is full of corrupt cops who are nonetheless strict and scrupulous believers in due process and the rule of law. With as many people as the Joker's killed, you'd think a significant percentage of the police force would want revenge for a friend or relative once they've got the guy in lockup, but it's never "oh wow, looks like that Joker guy hung himself in his cell" or "poor guy tripped and fell down the stairs, broke his neck, tragic" or even "crazy clown came right at me, I had no choice but to drill him six times in the heart".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjEN2bWrO4

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah seriously I truly loath how underutilized Hayden was. Like that half Vader/Anakin scene was loving amazing but I still can't believe there's only one flashback. I needed some Clone Wars flash backs of Obi-Wan and Anakin together fighting clankers. :(

When they said Hayden Christensen was coming back i thought for sure there'd be skme creative thing where Obi-Wan sees Vader but as Anakin as a hallucination or something, or like the force skype from episode 8, maybe he and Anakin can communicate through the Force and that's how he sees him. I didn't expect it would just be Hayden as one of three people stomping around in a Darth Vader outfit

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Calling it now, star wars from now on will be using the same characters in the same starwalker saga for the next decade under the guise of parallel universes to justify redoing variations of the same dead horse story.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Lampsacus posted:

Calling it now, star wars from now on will be using the same characters in the same starwalker saga for the next decade under the guise of parallel universes to justify redoing variations of the same dead horse story.

star wars multiverse baby!! no consequences!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Lampsacus posted:

they literally have an opening to do that if they use some of the stuff introduced in star wars rebels, unfortunately