Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
my issue is that we're getting a ton of fights in a row, but instead of swapping between them we're strongly progressing one and then going to the next, all in sequence

even if it's in-story happening simultaneously, it reads as though the cast is patiently waiting their turns and it robs a lot of the tension from the final battle

you can contrast to, say, one piece, which has an even more elaborate cast: Oda often does all his fights simultaneously, swapping between them within chapters and switching focus constantly (with some extra focus on the main fight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

not very interested in the outcome here because likely it's going to somehow relate to Deku's quirk ghosts, given the last page, and I just don't think that's ever been an interesting element, but I'm definitely a grump and curmudgeon, so.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think this chapter is fine, I'm just tired of All for One. His narrative purpose has long since fulfilled and even this chapter coulda been his final end. You're not the main antagonist anymore! Begone, wannabe!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jen X posted:

my issue is that we're getting a ton of fights in a row, but instead of swapping between them we're strongly progressing one and then going to the next, all in sequence

even if it's in-story happening simultaneously, it reads as though the cast is patiently waiting their turns and it robs a lot of the tension from the final battle

you can contrast to, say, one piece, which has an even more elaborate cast: Oda often does all his fights simultaneously, swapping between them within chapters and switching focus constantly (with some extra focus on the main fight)
I dunno if I'd take many pointers from post-timeskip One Piece tbh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I agree, trying to emulate perfection wouldn't go well

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fabricated posted:

I dunno if I'd take many pointers from post-timeskip One Piece tbh

Absurd take, post-timeskip One Piece is, unquestionably, still the strongest longer shonen in the world. Oda has nearly perfected this particular genre

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Considering how often the OP thread complaints about the pacing of arcs going on long or the rapidly switch between things just to make sure you know hey it's here we odnt have a real update but its still going okay now on to the next one, and how post-time skip (post enis lobby, really) that fights in general have taken a back burner (Wano is legitimately the first time all crewmembers squaring off into full fights and not just a handful and not jsut for extremely brief snippets in a long, long time) i'm not surprised that people have problems with post-time skip One Piece, evne before looking at non-fight stuff people might have issue with

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Just wait till Deku’s final quirk is Ghostbuster

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

cool kids inc. posted:

Bakugo's costume is a good bit different with the gauntlets lookin like #2's.

still wondering when/how this will be addressed, since based on this detail the visual similarity between the two does seem like something that remains relevant, though I have a hard time imagining what you could do with it at this late hour beyond surprise a distant bakugo relative was the second OFA.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arist posted:

Yeah, I agree, trying to emulate perfection wouldn't go well
Nah, post time skip One Piece is largely bad and Oda's panelling has been borderline incomprehensible on a semi-regular basis. The coolest part about Wano is that it's ending.

tbp posted:

Absurd take, post-timeskip One Piece is, unquestionably, still the strongest longer shonen in the world. Oda has nearly perfected this particular genre
It's basically one of the last mega long runners next to Conan and Hajime no Ippo. This isn't really saying much considering that the "perfect" part of it was like a decade ago. I know everyone doesn't want to admit it for some reason but sorry, basically from Fishman Island on One Piece is pretty far off its height. Like Gear 5 was probably the only part of Wano that was legitimately interesting and that's just because it was fun- writing wise it was basically confirmation Oda wings it as much as any other mangaka has ever admitted to (not that it's wrong- probably a lot of strong material came from it, but "Oda did it again!!" people are dumb).

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 26, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
god you loving suck

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

shame on me for thinking this would just be an agreeable "Dressrosa and the Onigashima raid show some pacing issues when it comes to large battles that i wouldn't want MHA to replicate"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oxxidation posted:

god you loving suck
I'm sorry you had to learn that it's hard to just knock it out of the park for a solid quarter century this way. Ippo has had far longer stretches of being bad, even though it has gotten marginally better now. It's also something of a miracle Oda hasn't had any real health scares because the last series of big hit mangaka in Jump have all had issues. Hori seems like he's dying off and on again, Tataba had to take 3 months off, Gege had to take a month off and missed a week I think again after that. Kubo practically had to be carried out on a stretcher at the end. Togashi is just now coming back after *4 years*. It's actually kinda concerning!

dogsicle posted:

shame on me for thinking this would just be an agreeable "Dressrosa and the Onigashima raid show some pacing issues when it comes to large battles that i wouldn't want MHA to replicate"
I agree with that actually. Onigashima I'll actually say that I think the extended cast is actually better than Dressrosa's. I was just "please let this end already" by the end of Dressrosa where Gear 5 Luffy vs Kaido was really cool and fun to the point I kinda forgot it didn't make a lot of sense.

I'd say the problem with the last couple years of MHA is mostly just that it seems to want to blow through/skim over stuff people like or want to do interminable amounts of setup for stuff that is then also blown through.

"Okay, you'd like to see whichever characters you like doing stuff and getting personal arcs? What if I created a whole new character to write my way out of making the main villain a bit too strong? That sound good?"

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 26, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The worst thing I'm willing to say about current One Piece is that the latest arc might not be my literal #1 favorite in the series, but that's just because Enies Lobby is one of my favorite arcs of anything, period. It's also the only thing I'll say because I don't want to drag this out talking about a different manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arist posted:

The worst thing I'm willing to say about current One Piece is that the latest arc might not be my literal #1 favorite in the series, but that's just because Enies Lobby is one of my favorite arcs of anything, period. It's also the only thing I'll say because I don't want to drag this out talking about a different manga.
I know it comes off like shitposting but I absolutely 100% agree with you on Enies Lobby. I also actually like Wano better than Dressrosa- it's just kind of a mess in the same way a lot of later OP arcs are. I am also unfairly comparing them to Enies Lobby- which while being from the same mangaka I consider it unfair because the series has gone on for over 25 years. That's the last thing I'll say about it then.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fabricated posted:

Nah, post time skip One Piece is largely bad and Oda's panelling has been borderline incomprehensible on a semi-regular basis. The coolest part about Wano is that it's ending.

It's basically one of the last mega long runners next to Conan and Hajime no Ippo. This isn't really saying much considering that the "perfect" part of it was like a decade ago. I know everyone doesn't want to admit it for some reason but sorry, basically from Fishman Island on One Piece is pretty far off its height. Like Gear 5 was probably the only part of Wano that was legitimately interesting and that's just because it was fun- writing wise it was basically confirmation Oda wings it as much as any other mangaka has ever admitted to (not that it's wrong- probably a lot of strong material came from it, but "Oda did it again!!" people are dumb).

sincerely disagree on the panelling, it's technically at an insane level, and wano has a good number of my favorite panels and artwork in the whole series

FI to Dressrosa was weaker than what preceded it but zou afterward is the peak of the series thus far. i don't know what you mean about gear 5 confirming that oda's winging anything.

i think your viewpoint is purely nuts, we've had probably the strongest material in the manga for years in a row now. it's close to a perfect manga

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-357/chapter/24800?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013476

I accused Horikoshi of doing further flashbacks on Endeavor's next punch. Instead, we got a flashforward into the future, so egg on my face.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

oh jay posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-357/chapter/24800?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013476

I accused Horikoshi of doing further flashbacks on Endeavor's next punch. Instead, we got a flashforward into the future, so egg on my face.

I don't think AFO's going to rewind himself. He's pretty clearly dying in that final page. "Big sacrificial moment" plus the dialogue from the previous pages suggests he's going to wipe either Endeavor (or everyone in vicinity) of their Quirks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, it seems like he's rewinding since he got an ear and an eye back seemingly- both things he hasn't had since All Might punched his torso off years ago.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It looks like a visual representation that he's using some form of rewind, but that speech would feel really out of place if he's basically just casting curaga on himself.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I guess I read the eye being exposed as the scar tissue burning away from Prominence Burn. The "krakk" sound effect seems to suggest that his body is splitting apart?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

I guess I read the eye being exposed as the scar tissue burning away from Prominence Burn. The "krakk" sound effect seems to suggest that his body is splitting apart?
We'll never know but I still wanna know what the gently caress All Might did and how AFO survived it- because the implication seemed to be to me that All Might literally just punched his loving head off and he didn't have super-regneration at the time (and it didn't help when he got it later, because he had somehow recovered and Ultra Regen doesn't heal already-healed injuries).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fabricated posted:

We'll never know but I still wanna know what the gently caress All Might did and how AFO survived it- because the implication seemed to be to me that All Might literally just punched his loving head off and he didn't have super-regneration at the time (and it didn't help when he got it later, because he had somehow recovered and Ultra Regen doesn't heal already-healed injuries).

As far as we can tell AfO ripped All Might's guts out mid charge and All Might used that moment to smash the top of AfO's skull into paste. Hence the damage is pretty central to the above the nose area and why he thought it was fatal, AfO likely had his brains all over the floor and survived by sheer miracle.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think AFO's going to rewind himself. He's pretty clearly dying in that final page. "Big sacrificial moment" plus the dialogue from the previous pages suggests he's going to wipe either Endeavor (or everyone in vicinity) of their Quirks.

Knowing AFO, his idea of a sacrifice could be rewinding himself to back when he only had a handful of quirks.

This could be a case of an ambiguous translation as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

I feel like for some people, One Piece's art style is viewed as uniquely charming in such a way that everything is seen as inherently great/special. Well, that + it just being a thing that people repeat a lot.

(It's also baffling to me that anyone could consider One Piece the best/perfect shounen when HxH exists)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
HxH has too much tell and not enough show imo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oh jay posted:

It looks like a visual representation that he's using some form of rewind, but that speech would feel really out of place if he's basically just casting curaga on himself.

Remember rewind is very volatile and can easily kill who it's being used on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HxH has its moments but I just rarely feel much of anything from it. Also people hyped up Chimera Ant way too much and it left me cold.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

HxH is one of my favorites but I can't rate it as being the best like I can One Piece. no other manga pulls off every facet of an interesting work as it does

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no, One Piece hiatus has spread to the MHA thread, we need to keep it contained.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like for some people, One Piece's art style is viewed as uniquely charming in such a way that everything is seen as inherently great/special. Well, that + it just being a thing that people repeat a lot.

(It's also baffling to me that anyone could consider One Piece the best/perfect shounen when HxH exists)

HxH is on near constant hiatus.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't believe we were convinced that One For All was a Paramecia-type quirk when it was really a Zoan-type quirk all along.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All Might just....overpowering Mr. Has Everything with a really strong punch is too drat good. I really wanted Kamino to be the end of a hugely active AfO--not that he needed to die, but I didn't really wanna see him take the field again.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

All Might just....overpowering Mr. Has Everything with a really strong punch is too drat good. I really wanted Kamino to be the end of a hugely active AfO--not that he needed to die, but I didn't really wanna see him take the field again.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

If there is such a thing as quirk ghosts, is murking a quirk basically shooting a ghost?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Guess: AfO successfully rewinds himself to peak power and health, but since he has a fake version of his quirk instead of the real one, the spirits attached to all the quirks he stole rise up and tear him apart from the inside out

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Know what the real cool part is? There's still an entire DekuxShigaraki fight after this.

Also just chalk me up as another person who's just really disappointed by this last arc. It's not uniquely bad or anything, it's just suffering from the usual poo poo that big, popular, shonen finales suffer from. Bleach, Naruto, even Dragon Ball Z. It's going to be hilarious to see these same complaints repeated about whatever bullshit Luffy fights in the final stages of One Piece.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't wait for Shigaraki to pull out another 47 asspulls.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
He's rewinding himself, and since the only way we've ever known the rewind quirk to stop is by way of Eraserhead or Overhaul, I'm assuming he doesn't have a way to stop it either - it's the only way to explain why he wouldn't have used it sooner to try and mend himself. He's gonna put on some huge display that essentially amounts to a preview of what Shigaraki will be when he bodyjacks him before burning out. We'll be complaining about All for One butting into Shigaraki's fight next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Shere posted:

He's rewinding himself, and since the only way we've ever known the rewind quirk to stop is by way of Eraserhead or Overhaul, I'm assuming he doesn't have a way to stop it either - it's the only way to explain why he wouldn't have used it sooner to try and mend himself. He's gonna put on some huge display that essentially amounts to a preview of what Shigaraki will be when he bodyjacks him before burning out. We'll be complaining about All for One butting into Shigaraki's fight next.

I mean, Eri did successfully rewind Mirio offscreen...