Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Are there precons for the Double Masters set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Masters sets don’t have commander products, and a commander Precon with $400 mythics in it wouldn’t even make it to store shelves

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think this is basically the pattern we can expect from now on, one big set of insane reprints, underprinted, every two years or so.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Johnny Truant posted:

Are there precon$ for double ma$ter$? Not yet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wonder how many Concordant Crossroads secret lairs got cancelled…

The Tithe is less lovely because those are judge academy promos, those are always 100% random

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
CC is a far less "necessary" card than Smothering Tithe, the more of those there are out there the better. At least as far as pricing is concerned

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Probably that WH40K Precon set that's going for stupid amounts could sub in for a 2x2022 Masters Commander Precon Set.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Jiro posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Double+Masters+2022/Smothering+Tithe-borderless#paper

Finally a reprint and new art.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/spoilers/Double+Masters+2022#paper

So many precon reprints and or staples........that should have loving gone into CL2

But then that set would have actually sold, and that would have been bad for... some reason.

Seriously, even if they just threw Docksided into CL2 they woulda sold a bunch more packs but I guess they hate money & players

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Thom Yorke raps posted:

But then that set would have actually sold, and that would have been bad for... some reason.

Seriously, even if they just threw Docksided into CL2 they woulda sold a bunch more packs but I guess they hate money & players

The problem with this logic is you're not thinking like a seller. The cost of production for a Double Masters set is not significantly different from the cost of production for any other set. From their perspective, you paid exactly as much money for the little advertisement card in the pack as you did for the Dockside in the same pack. So if Commander Legends is cheaper on a per pack basis than Double Masters 2, and you really want that fuckin' Dockside, it stands to reason to put it in the more attractive set that also happens to be more expensive. You're going to be willing to roll the dice more because the perceived value is there, and they're going to make more money on it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thom Yorke raps posted:

It's bad because, and this is my completely uneducated opinion, you're splitting the sales between a cheaper set and one that has been artificially inflated in price so hard currently, that one set would be bought more than the other. Even though all the loving cash goes to the same drat company. So rather than risk having less sold of the more expensive poo poo because they were always going to drip feed it out, they take all the reprints that they were going to have for the Commander Legends set and move it over to the uber expensive set. So now you have less sold of a set that's way way less in price and everyone is pissed but foaming at the mouth to grab a box of Dbl Masters Tew.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

This poo poo is so blatant that it flipped the last anti-proxy holdout in my group

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Tarnop posted:

This poo poo is so blatant that it flipped the last anti-proxy holdout in my group

Lmao, you love to see it!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tarnop posted:

:sickos:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/HTxWBnZ2ESg

Prof going over CL2 vs DBL Masters 2022 and his take

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

My group has been so happy with the Baldur's Gate set but we seem to be the few haha. I also got the Mindflayarrrz precon and that was a hoot out of the box honestly. Gonna make some tweaks but it's a tonne of fun.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
double masters is exactly what i loving wanted and of course wotc hosed it all by loving the rarity so bad that it's a bitch if you want to buy a single card let alone a box in hopes of cracking SOMETHING for yourself.

im just gonna invest in a good card printer or some poo poo and make proxies.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://shop.ultrapro.com/collections/magic-clearance-sale

Get some lovely sleeves for your proxies or a sweet looking abacus life counter.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dizz posted:

double masters is exactly what i loving wanted and of course wotc hosed it all by loving the rarity so bad that it's a bitch if you want to buy a single card let alone a box in hopes of cracking SOMETHING for yourself.

im just gonna invest in a good card printer or some poo poo and make proxies.

Learn to make playing cards it’s quite rewarding.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://shop.ultrapro.com/collections/magic-clearance-sale

Get some lovely sleeves for your proxies or a sweet looking abacus life counter.

Oh hell yeah thank you :toot:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh hell yeah thank you :toot:

I click on the targeted Facebook ads so you all don't have to.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Double Post:

Whoever was in here lamenting the lack of those cheap, acrylic deck boxes:

https://www.dacardworld.com/supplies/bcw-clear-deck-keeper

They're back in stock and on sale for $2.50 a piece.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Double Post:

Can anybody vouch for these? I would like to separate my decks into single boxes vs 3 decks in a fat pack box.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Ultra Pro makes these: https://shop.ultrapro.com/products/2-piece-clear-100-deck-box?variant=29477284905038

Since they got that sale going on, I use them for my commander decks all the time, good stuff . They are tapered and stackable. Also, CL2 stuff is in stock, and New Capenna stuff is all on sale along with some other MtG stuff.

Also, lol @ Mind Flayarrrs precon coming out like a week after my gf finished her Umbris commander deck

Serf
May 5, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

My group has been so happy with the Baldur's Gate set but we seem to be the few haha. I also got the Mindflayarrrz precon and that was a hoot out of the box honestly. Gonna make some tweaks but it's a tonne of fun.

I'm getting back into the game and it seems like most people around here play Modern or Commander so I went with the cheaper option of Commander to start with. Grabbed all the new precons and I can confirm that Mind Flayarrs is my favorite out of the box. It was nice going through my old collection and finding a Mindleech Mass that slotted in nicely. Exit From Exile is also a weird deck but was a blast to play with once I realized that the wolf tokens are just a bonus on top of all the card advantage you can get with the exile spells. I haven't done very well because my local meta is full of people pulling out $1000 decks and getting super sweaty with infinite combos but I'm having fun just socializing at least.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Serf posted:

I'm getting back into the game and it seems like most people around here play Modern or Commander so I went with the cheaper option of Commander to start with. Grabbed all the new precons and I can confirm that Mind Flayarrs is my favorite out of the box. It was nice going through my old collection and finding a Mindleech Mass that slotted in nicely. Exit From Exile is also a weird deck but was a blast to play with once I realized that the wolf tokens are just a bonus on top of all the card advantage you can get with the exile spells. I haven't done very well because my local meta is full of people pulling out $1000 decks and getting super sweaty with infinite combos but I'm having fun just socializing at least.

I don't mind playing those cutthroat games, and have some pretty brutal decks myself, but I think most of the fun for me in this format comes from putting together and playing simpler builds and gimmicks. If you're often in the "your precon doesn't stand a chance" games, and nobody wants to bring the power level down, I feel for you.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am slowly trying to talk my group into trying out Conquest. They seem tentatively interested, anyway.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

Double Post:

these aren't exactly the ones I was talking about but I'm willing to drop 20 bucks on a few

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
depending how that logo is printed on the boxes, you can probably buff those out with a little acetone or something.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played a game where every other deck was goad themed... so I'm building a goad deck now I guess! :getin:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Baelroth Berrityl + Noble Heritage is a hell of a combo to play against I will say

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Heath posted:

Baelroth Berrityl + Noble Heritage is a hell of a combo to play against I will say

Ah that's the background I didn't snag in my commander draft, dang yeah that's a great combo. I'm doing the izzet Planeswalker partner combo as my commanders, otherwise I'd be all about that.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Played a game where every other deck was goad themed... so I'm building a goad deck now I guess! :getin:

Beamtown Bullies, of course.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Beamtown Bullies, of course.

... I'm building a second goad deck!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Heath posted:

I don't follow. What's the combo?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Lotta goad :ms:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

You grow your commander to keep your opponents' weaker creatures goaded and if they try to grow a creature to get around it you have protection from them so it doesn't matter if the creature attacks you, I imagine.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

Creatures with power lower than BB are goaded and can't attack you. Noble Heritage allows you and your opponents to put counters on your creatures in exchange for protection from that opponent, so they can't attack you. You put counters on BB every one of your turns and keep getting him bigger and you can watch your opponents bash each other while you sit back and protect the commander and throw out combat tricks on opponent's creatures. I've only played against it but it has been a bit of a puzzle to work around until someone can answer it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Heath posted:

I've only played against it but it has been a bit of a puzzle to work around until someone can answer it.

Do your tables just not play any creature removal? How do you deal with all the other, more dangerous creatures?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

Do your tables just not play any creature removal? How do you deal with all the other, more dangerous creatures?

What is your problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heath posted:

What is your problem?

Of everyone in this thread, Toshimo most embodies the idea of "if you don't play the way I say, you're wrong."

Johnny Truant posted:

Ah that's the background I didn't snag in my commander draft, dang yeah that's a great combo. I'm doing the izzet Planeswalker partner combo as my commanders, otherwise I'd be all about that.

The OG Kenrith Twins are one of my pet decks. It's fragile as gently caress, but when it pops off, it is top-tier masturbation. :v: