Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

now that I have weighed the importance of yesterday’s events, I think the emboldened chuds confident enough to cruise around and harass people asking them to do as they say is in fact worse than any sort of drills no matter if they involve the participation of the city’s local tactilol units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

unlimited shrimp posted:

Lots of Winnipeg talk. How many prairie goons are ITT?

Grew up there for the most part, but I haven't lived there in nearly two decades.

Took a work trip there before the pandemic, though. Was really nice visiting all the places I used to live.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Another Bill posted:

OMG

I don't remember what I reported him for but I hope it ruined his loving day

You find out what it was in his Mom's next column

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I remember active shooter drills starting up shortly after columbine. My high school had unannounced active shooter drills with police present, those sucked as they ran around the school shouting. Felt very real.

My middle school had almost monthly real bomb threats. An abortion clinic was directly behind the school, and it got bomb threats very frequently. Evacuating the school was just super routine to me. Once it actually got bombed. I remember wondering in high school why we weren't constantly being evacuated for bomb threats, only later realizing that wasn't normal.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
There was a post a while back in the 'doomday economics' thread where somebody copied/pasted some posts by people who had shared their sentiment about how things are going right now economically, and sure enough somebody submitted a post about a time they were a tourist in Vancouver and just how horrific Second Beach had become, absolutely full of homeless people, without nice logs to sit on, and how the city is getting much much worse.

This was second beach earlier in the week:

Homelessness in Vancouver is a big issue obv but if you believed the internet, its primary victims are tourists who get permanent PTSD because they saw the guy who would sleep naked outside the Circle K on Davie (rip), and not the thousands of homeless people. Anyway, I walked around the seawall earlier this week and it was nice :)

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Jun 24, 2022

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I get the feeling in Victoria that the prevailing attitude is that the homeless should be pushed into the sea. No one wants to address why there are so many homeless downtown. They just want them to go away but also we need to develop everything into either giftshops or luxury condos. Also people need to be paid less for working in the city.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
"Nice" "beach"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
on the subject of "michael problems", doug's nephew, 1st time MP michael ford has been made a cabinet minister. of immigration and multiculturalism, no less

this canadian born white man most assuredly has the fresh perspective we need to keep ontario moving into the 21st century

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

I had that in BC for earthquakes, but I don't think they ever imagined that an earthquake with a gun.

Lol

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

In Alberta now, but I was born in Sk, and lived in Selkirk for a few years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Futanari Damacy posted:

"Nice" "beach"

okay, sure, but you live in winnipeg, right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Cool I can't wait until the CPC/PPC start talking about banning abortion here

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Raised in Brandon, moved to Winnipeg for a bit.

Now Albertan, Manitoba is truly the brain drain province.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Away all Goats posted:

Cool I can't wait until the CPC/PPC start talking about banning abortion here

Trudeau is murdering babies+!!!!1

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

infernal machines posted:

on the subject of "michael problems", doug's nephew, 1st time MP michael ford has been made a cabinet minister. of immigration and multiculturalism, no less

this canadian born white man most assuredly has the fresh perspective we need to keep ontario moving into the 21st century

This is one of those moves that makes me feel like they know how loving stupid they are, and they're rubbing it in that they can do whatever they want.

I feel this way often about Ford's decisions.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

This is one of those moves that makes me feel like they know how loving stupid they are, and they're rubbing it in that they can do whatever they want.

the whole reason doug wanted to become premier in the first place is get to revenge on toronto lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

that moment for me was when he halved toronto city council in the middle of an election. but yeah, it's just straight up contempt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yellowcar posted:

the whole reason doug wanted to become premier in the first place is get to revenge on toronto lol

absolutely, everything since has been gravy

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gotta respect the sigma grindset

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Did the gravy train drive off with the buck-a-beer or what?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

yellowcar posted:

gotta respect the gravy grindset

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

In Toronno they taught us to stay away from doors and windows and duck and cover under tables lol

Yeah we had drills in my school after the jordan manners shooting, so it was more about gang violence really. Get away from the window and under the desks if you hear shots, but I don’t remember anyone barricading anything.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/TOHousingSmash/status/1540714119975903234?t=uhBuXeSMciU_AXjK_EUENw&s=19

Ehehehehehehe

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Eh can you really say it was sold for 1 M over asking when the original deal clearly fell through?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

unlimited shrimp posted:

Born and raised in YEG and its many lovely suburbs. Got out for 4 years to go to school in Ontario, but the siren song of cheaper post-graduate training in Alberta pulled me back and now I can never leave.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

There was a post a while back in the 'doomday economics' thread where somebody copied/pasted some posts by people who had shared their sentiment about how things are going right now economically, and sure enough somebody submitted a post about a time they were a tourist in Vancouver and just how horrific Second Beach had become, absolutely full of homeless people, without nice logs to sit on, and how the city is getting much much worse.

This was second beach earlier in the week:

Homelessness in Vancouver is a big issue obv but if you believed the internet, its primary victims are tourists who get permanent PTSD because they saw the guy who would sleep naked outside the Circle K on Davie (rip), and not the thousands of homeless people. Anyway, I walked around the seawall earlier this week and it was nice :)
I biked around the seawall with my family a few weeks ago. Second and Third Beach were packed, but not with people camping, just people sitting on logs or sand and enjoying a very nice day.

Maybe it's just because I work in Chinatown in Edmonton but I think there's a more visible homeless population here than in Van. Our homeless census was at 3,000 people prior to starting a housing first program, got down to about 1700 pre-pandemic and pre-Kenney, and is now back above 3700. I assume there must be more in Vancouver due to weather and rental prices, but it seems more concentrated in Edmonton.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

apatheticman posted:

Raised in Brandon, moved to Winnipeg for a bit.

Now Albertan, Manitoba is truly the brain drain province.

If you choose to move to Alberta, do you have a brain?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

notice how no one ever moves to saskatchewan?

like, at all?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My (black) friend moved to Saskatchewan for a huge work opportunity.

She sent her family back within 6 months and gave her boss an ultimatum within a year.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

evilpicard posted:

moved to Saskatchewan for a huge work opportunity.

i'm sorry, that's unbelievable for at least two reasons

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/132080182927425536?t=O_qg5TqO_lgLVWW9HEWBMA&s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

where did that show up?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

no idea lmao saw it on discord

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

notice how no one ever moves to saskatchewan?

like, at all?

brent butt did

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Dumb way to get across a nuanced opinion that abortion is an important option, but less favorable than contraception. Figures it's only blowing up now lol

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

i love abortion

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I am absolutely pro-abortion and will say that to anyone. Get an abortion if you want/need one, no questions asked, covered by the state.
I don't see any reason to restrict them or have a 'but' list of allowances. You can feel anyway you need to afterwards as they are all valid feelings, I just refuse to see it primarily as a negative. For some it is a positive procedure, even if the actual procedure can be uncomfortable or downright painful.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't LIKE abortions, I LOVE them.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I can't say I really get the whole need to come out with how horrible abortions are. Surgery to remove a tumor is probably not a fun experience and absolutely people would probably rather not have cancer in the first place, but people don't trip all over themselves to say "well ideally we'd never have cancer surgeries, I hate them so much, but people should have the right to them."

On the other hand, I don't really give a poo poo about people's individual opinion on abortions so long as they support people's right to them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
We don't have to love abortion to understand that it's a private decision that should be left to a woman and her doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

People love to invent a person and get mad at them. Nobody who does not want a child is going to stop practicing contraception because they can "just" go and get an abortion whenever.

Also, those who support abortion only in case of assault fail to realize that having such a restriction means forcing someone eligible for an abortion to confront and relive their trauma to access health care they're entitled to. At best it's unneeded cruelty, at worst it'll dissuade some people from getting that care.

Abortions must be available to all with no questions asked.