Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess this is now a relics question as these were popular on SA about 10+ years ago and I can’t find a relevant thread anymore. Does anyone else have one of those Grundig/Elton FM/Shortwave radios that were a pretty cheap way of getting into SW? I just dug mine out from storage but it appears the plastic is breaking down a bit as some tech stuff tends to do. Anyone else still got theirs, and is it doing the same?

E: ah yeah not just me then. I’ll probably just deal with it, the front isn’t as bad as the back so shouldn’t have to deal with it too much. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurrad...utm_name=iossmf

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Jun 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Yeah, it’s just the soft touch plastic coating breaking down.

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Engineer: How is this going to hold up in 10 years?

80's executive: (sniffff) Are you loving joking right now? Listen, Casio is eating our lunch and THIS is how you respond?? I'm deleting you from my personal organizer

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's a BBC look at really old-rear end TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaYe1eLFCxw

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

King

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
So, retroware's latest video about BIOS Patcher seems like a good watch for anyone messing with old PCs. This is the tool he used previously to patch Pentium III support into an old PII-only board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZT40sRMzM

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The only thing he got wrong is when he said they'd have headphone jacks. :v:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
'the size will be determined by what's convenient to hold' is also a miss.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Both of those things were true a few years from when he wrote that. It's not his fault they got more cumbersome and less useful over time. :v:

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

Mandoric posted:

Kinda? Like it's determined by inscrutable corporate machinations and practical trade-offs but a smart phone motherboard is maybe the size of a human thumb, roughly, so it really isn't determined by any technical limitation at least.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My first smart phone was half an inch thick, smaller than a deck of cards, and it had a headphone jack, slide out keyboard and a trackball

Every phone since has been a disappointment

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mandoric posted:

I don't think so. I have a Z Flip 3 and it's definitely seems like it leans towards being convenient to hold rather than having a wider screen. It's narrow enough that I can use it with one hand, but there are times when I wish it was just a bit wider to display something better.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

My first smart phone was half an inch thick, smaller than a deck of cards, and it had a headphone jack, slide out keyboard and a trackball

First gen Droid? One of my professors got a box of like 30 of them for some reason shortly after they came out. He loaned them out to any student who wanted to try writing apps, but writing Android apps really sucks so I mostly just spent a month playing around with it before going back to my flip-phone for the next year or two.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My first smartphone was an HTC TyTN, and I loved that thing. I still kind of miss slide out keyboards to be honest.

Then I had the TyTN 2 which was the same thing but the screen could tilt when you slid the keyboard out.

Game changing poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I had a TyTN, HTC were notorious for having a billion different names for their 6 different handsets. I liked it at the time for sure, the slide out keyboard was great and when the iPhone was announced it made me sneer a bit (despite being an iPod and Mac user by that point) that my HTC could do anything it did plus a million things more... but yeah the actual use of the phone blew my HTC out the water and by the time the 3G was announced I jumped ship and never returned.

The USB port falling out of my 3 month old HTC definitely didn't convince me to stick with them, that thing spent as much time in the repair shop as it did in my pocket.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Humphreys posted:

You aren't going to find a PAL DV Deck without bidding against me sorry. I have a lust for my old editing stuff, and a hatred for my old employer which I know has at least 4 HD-DV Decks stashed away that won't sell online cos they are old fuddy duddies.

I ended up grabbing one on eBay for just under $200 in the end, just set it up tonight and all is working fine (a relief given my last foray into FireWire gear did not).

Now to capture 160 tapes. Why am I doing this to myself…

As much as I’d have liked one with a door still attached, if feels like the right of passage to have it missing. Hell there’s one on eBay right now with 10 hours of drum use and the door is missing. The door does look cool tho!

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 05:33 on Jun 28, 2022

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
even when they come with the door, the hinges will still be broken with the magnets being the only thing holding the door in place...

at my first job in the 00s we had a bunch of these where our tech dude paid to switch the firewire ports to 6pin for whatever reason, which led to the firewire controllers dying all the time. he always blamed people hotswapping the cable but imo they just did a poo poo job on the mod

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m not gonna lie, seeing the 4 pin did get an ‘ugggh’ out of me. I know the unit doesn’t need the power provided by the extra two pins, but that’s a connector that’s so loose just looking at it can cause it to fall out. And of course I had to laugh because I forgot the Mac Mini only has an 800 port and I have every combination of cable except 800 to 4 pin. So naturally it’s now being daisy chained through an old hdd, because why not.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

flavor.flv posted:

Smartphone form factor peaked with the iPhone 5/SE :colbert:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

axolotl farmer posted:

Smartphone form factor peaked with the iPhone 5/SE :colbert:

I hope they don't kill the Mini series

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a 12 mini and I like the form factor but I swear it’s giving me an rsi because my giant mitts have to contort so much to use it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t live with those tiny screens anymore, I’ve been spoilt by giant phones.

I don’t have big hands but I’ve learned to love the popsocket which makes pretty much any large phone infinitely more one-handable.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I miss flip phones.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

I miss flip phones.

They still exist but I haven't found one that doesn't run Android or KaiOS (apparently KaiOS is pretty loving dire) and can act as a wifi hotspot.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

They still exist but I haven't found one that doesn't run Android or KaiOS (apparently KaiOS is pretty loving dire) and can act as a wifi hotspot.

can you imagine whipping this bad boy out:

customer reviewer knows what's up:

poo poo goes so hard I can't even believe everyone doesn't have one.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Gotta admit, I like the physical back, home and menu buttons at the top of the keypad. I really miss having those

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Me in 1998 if I had unlimited money.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

An SGI big-rig once came on campus and parked itself between the student houses and the computing lab, and supermodels hung out the trailer door to lure the students in and see all the cool gear and drop out and work for SGI. There were monitors arranged around the interior with flight simulators much like that

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Data Graham posted:

An SGI big-rig once came on campus and parked itself between the student houses and the computing lab, and supermodels hung out the trailer door to lure the students in and see all the cool gear and drop out and work for SGI. There were monitors arranged around the interior with flight simulators much like that
Yeah, the Magic Bus. They were using it to show off the Onyx back in like '94 or '95 and the flight sim doing 3d with real-time texture mapping was absolutely loving mind-blowing, like literally never seen poo poo like that before. But around that time a bunch of guys left SGI to found 3Dfx, and a couple years after that PC 3d accelerators were a thing, and suddenly everybody could do it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bargearse posted:

Me in 1998 if I had unlimited money.

I bet he still only got 5fps while running that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Carth Dookie posted:

I bet he still only got 5fps while running that.

I think X Plane used to support multi computer networking to run setups like this. Each computer would run 2 or 3 monitors.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Powered Descent posted:

The only thing he got wrong is when he said they'd have headphone jacks. :v:
Headphone jacks are on their way back in! Well, at least a little. The Pixel 3 didn't have them but they're back in the 5 and so on. And hopefully where Google goes the rest will... you know, eventually ever think about maybe following.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SubG posted:

Yeah, the Magic Bus. They were using it to show off the Onyx back in like '94 or '95 and the flight sim doing 3d with real-time texture mapping was absolutely loving mind-blowing, like literally never seen poo poo like that before. But around that time a bunch of guys left SGI to found 3Dfx, and a couple years after that PC 3d accelerators were a thing, and suddenly everybody could do it.

Oh I remember that:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think X Plane used to support multi computer networking to run setups like this. Each computer would run 2 or 3 monitors.

Didn't some game(s) on the Sony Play Station home computer system allow you to hook up two systems (with two television sets, two copies of the game, etc.) to play head-to-head? I'm thinking Wipeout but could be dead wrong.

e: Wait, did I learn about it ITT just recently? Anyway :shrug:

ee:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Jun 29, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Krazy Ivan could do it too, that’s the only game I remember having that had it on the box.

I never knew anyone who had a link cable though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah me neither.

Now I really want one of those tiny Trinitrons.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Krazy Ivan could do it too, that’s the only game I remember having that had it on the box.

I never knew anyone who had a link cable though.

you're triggering a memory, I had a mech game right before I got my playstation, on 32x:

and it sucked lol!

I probably put like 5 hours into this game before I just got forever bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I played that exact game like a week ago and yeah it’s bad

Did the 32x have any killer games? I just dumped the whole romset onto my retropie arcade machine because it’s 2022 and space is infinite, and I’ve been picking things at random but nothing really wows.