Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Dorothea's orbs also work no matter what class she is, making her a pretty good melee.

I kind of want to try armored knight Bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Now that they have a second triangle with brawler/mage/archer, those classes feel a lot better. Kind of sucks to lose the generalist role on mages, but at least they have a dedicated one this time! I like matching advantage on deciding who I bring so it'll actually get me to bring a mage or archer. Still not that into the archer moveset but now that I kind of get what I'm doing with it, it's vastly better than FEW's. Brawler loving owns and it's tragic it's guys only.

(I still haven't decided what to do with the Eagle's mages, the only one I really play is Monica because I love her even if I want to use Hubert cause he's cool too)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I've got both Hubert and Dorothea as Paladins right now, but Dorothea will branch into Falcon Knight and Hubert Dark Knight. Monica's my Assassin, I like the timed hits with how fast Assassins are. I can't understate how hilarious Hubert is when he gets big sweeping attacks and you can upgrade his personal ability.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I made Caspar a brawler, Monica a Wyvern Rider, Hapi a Pegasus Knight and Manuela a Swordmaster. Oh and Shamir a Fortress Knight.

Everyone else I've mostly stuck to their defaults for aesthetic purposes.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I really want some dataminers to pull out the actual numbers behind a lot of abilities/mechanics. Like what is the effective Mt multiplier for super-effective weapons? I tried out a basic un-forged Rapier and it did way more damage to Armor Knights than a +12 Steel Sword with fully 4 times the Mt. What is scaling effect of character Str/Mag on damage, or of those random stat scaling modifiers you find on weapons? So many vague descriptions like the Chain weapon modifier that just "increases damage with more consecutive attacks"? How much does it increase, starting at what combo length? When does it cap? Let me do the math damnit, the whole point of the game is optimizing loadouts and I need information!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
fun fact: Cavalier/Paladin class action + super effective weapons is hilarious

I gave lorenz a horseslayer spear and he turned into a blender of death

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gamerofthegame posted:

wasn't she the one character who did that in three houses for empire gang too or am I misremembering

so far my only real complaint of the game is that black eagles are 70% mages or people who suck (caspar sucks) and the mage movelist is... lame

hell the first characters you can recruit are mages, too.

The neat part is that it doesn’t matter. Embrace fortress knight Hapi and swordmaster Constance

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I kind of want to recruit Lysithea just to make her an armored knight because it would be hilarious.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
honestly I really missed recruiting characters in maps nowadays so I'm glad that it came back in some way in this musou spinoff.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i would like to nominate this for game of the year

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

lol I finally got access to top tier tactics school stuff and beelined the top tier personal skill stuff and Felix is now hilarious because he goes up to his full speed demon mode in only three dodges. He attacks so fast it's actually nearly impossible to control.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blaziken386 posted:

Felix and Raphael have an A support that is entirely based around their love of meat.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I sort of decided to test how much stats matter in this by replaying a map before and after feeding shez enough stat boosts to raise her str by 12.

Before the boost her full combo string of light attacks was doing 235-260.

After it was doing around 250-280.

It's not a very big difference.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

was having trouble clearing the enemy death requirement of one of the paralogue S-ranks, and so I decided to switch Shez from swordsmaster back to Fluegel

i went from ~1200/1500 to ~1700/1500 kills. I forgot how loving bonkers her unique moveset is, especially when you throw dark magic into the mix

KittyEmpress posted:

I sort of decided to test how much stats matter in this by replaying a map before and after feeding shez enough stat boosts to raise her str by 12.

Before the boost her full combo string of light attacks was doing 235-260.

After it was doing around 250-280.

It's not a very big difference.
counterpoint: number go up increases serotonin

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The key to doing the enemy deaths one I've found is to always be killing the officers yourself (ideally with WPG); for whatever reason in this game it feels like you get a lot less KO score from computer-controlled units killing officers compared to the first game, so you really need to do them by yourself in some maps. Otherwise the game actually won't spawn you enough mooks to kill within the time limit.

Ultimately with stats they aren't that important and it's all about skills, pretty much like the original FEW, with some exceptions like Luna and etc. from the original game which rewarded high luck etc.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 26, 2022

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Numbers go up is definitely big. I just wanted to test it mostly due to people being mad at 'stat screwed' characters. They're not really that screwed, honest.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RoyalScion posted:

The key to doing the enemy deaths one I've found is to always be killing the officers yourself (ideally with WPG); for whatever reason in this game it feels like you get a lot less KO score from computer-controlled units killing officers compared to the first game, so you really need to do them by yourself in some maps. Otherwise the game actually won't spawn you enough mooks to kill within the time limit.

Ultimately with stats they aren't that important and it's all about skills, pretty much like the original FEW, with some exceptions like Luna and etc. from the original game which rewarded high luck etc.

Wait, killing officers gives a KO score increase?? And here I was intentionally letting some live for more enemies to spawn.

I guess then the optimal way is to send controllable units to those areas but NOT have them attack so you can switch and kill the officer yourself?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, killing officers gives a KO score increase?? And here I was intentionally letting some live for more enemies to spawn.

I guess then the optimal way is to send controllable units to those areas but NOT have them attack so you can switch and kill the officer yourself?

At least in the original FEW if you ordered a unit to attack an officer/area you would also get additional KO score to simulate any other dudes they killed; I’m not sure if it works the same way here, but if it does it feels like it gives a lot less relative to the srank goals at least.

It’s only been a problem in a few story missions but those are generally longer so it’s slightly a pain to redo.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm still not that far in, but so far, the mage moveset feels really clunky to me. I ended up switching Lysithea to sword classes because they're just more fun to use.

I managed to recruit Lynhart, so I dunno...maybe war master?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Half of my black Lion mages are more likely to end up as riders or mortal savants.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm actually liking Mage after playing it for a bit, good AOE and elemental variety.

Priest and Cavalier on the other hand... (I really can't get the hang of breaking weakpoints as Cavalier).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Priest gets a whole lot better once your units get to higher tier classes and get to attack faster. And then you throw the moveset in the dumpster anyways because lol Gremory and Dark Bishop are ridiculous and neither inherits from Preist.

... actually I think Preist may be the only moveset no Master level class has. You can get the Warrior/Foot-spear/Armored Knight/foot archer movesets by dismounting. Huh.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:allears: Professor Jeritza :perfect:

Anyways, I understand I'm early in the game (just out of the prologue, starting to gently caress around with intermediate classes) but what are the efficient ways to expose critical gauges?
Attacking with triangle advantage* is not helping that much but again, early on and the passives should level up. Do later magic and weapon skills help with exposure?

*I'm assuming that like in Three Houses it's not inherent but through the X buster passives. I'm still calling it triangle advantage because Fire Emblem

E: is War Cleric there? I see trickster but not cleric and I'd like some gal to go punchwoman if possible.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Omobono posted:

Anyways, I understand I'm early in the game (just out of the prologue, starting to gently caress around with intermediate classes) but what are the efficient ways to expose critical gauges?
Attacking with triangle advantage* is not helping that much but again, early on and the passives should level up. Do later magic and weapon skills help with exposure?

*I'm assuming that like in Three Houses it's not inherent but through the X buster passives. I'm still calling it triangle advantage because Fire Emblem

E: is War Cleric there? I see trickster but not cleric and I'd like some gal to go punchwoman if possible.

Basically hit them with any weapon skill and it will bring up the stun gauge, regardless of any kind of weapon advantage.

There's other ways like counterhitting them at the right moment and stuff, but that's the way to do it like 99% of the time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

I really want some dataminers to pull out the actual numbers behind a lot of abilities/mechanics. Like what is the effective Mt multiplier for super-effective weapons? I tried out a basic un-forged Rapier and it did way more damage to Armor Knights than a +12 Steel Sword with fully 4 times the Mt. What is scaling effect of character Str/Mag on damage, or of those random stat scaling modifiers you find on weapons? So many vague descriptions like the Chain weapon modifier that just "increases damage with more consecutive attacks"? How much does it increase, starting at what combo length? When does it cap? Let me do the math damnit, the whole point of the game is optimizing loadouts and I need information!

In FEW xslayer was a 1000% multiplier. So absolutely ridiculous if you bring it against the right units.

Omobono posted:

Beyond weapon arts, you really only start to getting natural exposes when you have higher tier advantage, 2 to 3 arrows on map when you select your unit and see the enemy. This requires the higher tier classes and better battalions.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blaziken386 posted:

i think one of the funniest parts of three hopes is the fact that it inverts which hero's relics are good

Three Houses' equipment relics (mostly thyrsus) have really nice stats and passive skills and are great because there's really not a lot of stuff that has those skills. (ie: there's like 3 different things that buff magic range and thyrsus is one of them) Meanwhile the weapons are cool but fuuuuck grinding umbral steel so you use 'em for important fights and thats it

But then in Three Hopes, you have poo poo like Freikugel that A: has much more damage than most axes, B: has much more durability than most axes, C: has a unique weapon art where you cause a volcanic explosion, and D: can be spammed without fear. And then you have Thyrsus which gives you +3 Mag. :v:

also speaking of equipment I found a camp that was giving out either a knowledge gem or an experience gem and I have to wonder why anyone would pick the latter when mastering classes gets you skills/arts and levels can be bought for chump change

Thyrsus also occasionally negates an attack.

Though, you gotta see what it's forge skill is because every weapon has a Forge skill in this game, and the Hero's Relics start lagging behind in MT when you can't forge them yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Omobono posted:

It is inherent in Three Hopes

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Harrow posted:

It is inherent in Three Hopes

Yeah. Weapon Triangle is much more important here than it was in Three Houses, and about as important as in FEW and standard FE games.

DC Murderverse posted:

Inexplicable Support Content, part 2: (Annette/Shez) Why does noted not-thinker Shez know so much about literary critical theory?

Shez might be kinda dumb, but he does seem to be able to reason for himself. If nothing else, he has a full Reason Spell list, so if he was a Three Houses unit, he would probably have a Budding Talent in Reason. Would make for a nice foil to Byleth too.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Omobono posted:

C3 (y>y>x) opens up meter unless you have class disadvantage.

EDIT: ...actually, double checking this only seems to happen sometimes?!? Hammering them with it seems to make the meter open a lot faster than other methods at least. Hitting them once or twice with the golden arrow from ArcherBernie consistently opens up the meter for breaking, and two uses of Fluegel Shez's multistab also opens meters up.

Precious games had specific meter combos but now I'm thinking there's a certain amount of pressure that opens it and certain moves give higher pressure.

Edit 2: Little further testing with Armored Lord Edelgard: 2 C3s to open meter on neutral, 3 on resisted, 1 on advantage. 2 for Mage Hubert on neutral, training ground isn't summoning anything that resists magic or is weak to it.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 26, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

perfect guards are the best way to open up weak points since enemy attacks are very heavily telegraphed, the timing is decently generous, and the punishment for pressing the button too early is you just do a regular guard instead

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Augus posted:

perfect guards are the best way to open up weak points since enemy attacks are very heavily telegraphed, the timing is decently generous, and the punishment for pressing the button too early is you just do a regular guard instead

That requires me to not be always attacking and in a musou game that's a bridge too far. :colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I love my dear rat boy, so so much

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how does the game handle cutscenes that heavily involve a particular character if they die?
For instance, in Scarlet Blaze there was a pretty substantial amount of exposition at the beginning of chapter 5 or 6 I think that relied on Monica being in the scene. If Monica died in battle would that cutscene be different?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I presume Monica has plot immunity like Hubert or Gilbert does in Three Houses.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That or they pull the "too wounded to fight" card so they can be in cutscenes but not the roster.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I saw a video on the demo and yeah, some characters have inmunity even on Classic mode. You can tell the difference if they are either on their knees (survive cause plot) or lying on the ground (dead).

Also, can 100% confirm killing officers yourself gives you way, way more KOs than letting the AI do it: by directing the AI next to the enemies, manually changing and killing each of them I can get the KO cound on side-quests by minute 1-2. So yeah, don't rely on the AI to kill enemies until you reach the KO number for the S-Rank.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blaziken386 posted:

The camera specifically panned down for that line.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 26, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I started the Demo and got to the first encampment and the game told me I couldn’t use amiibo unless I was playing the full game so I’m gonna buy it BUT I also never played the DLC side story in Three Houses so I’m going to do that first. Since I guess those characters will be in this game? I might also play through the blue lions story since I never did that and never got any of the cool DLC characters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How does recruitment work, can you only do it with certain characters controlled? I recruited Hapi while playing as edelguard, but killed Constance while using Petra and had the strategies to recruit both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Hubert spends most of Scarlet Blaze's side quests and paralogues finding new ways to be a good friend and it's kind of hilarious.

And then you recruit Shamir and you do it by promising you won't kill Catherine

Goddamn Shamir and Ashe really do not want to be here. Everyone else has kind of settled in but they're both still very 'I'm here because you threatened someone I love and now I need to fight other people I love. No poo poo I'm not happy'

Tae posted:

How does recruitment work, can you only do it with certain characters controlled? I recruited Hapi while playing as edelguard, but killed Constance while using Petra and had the strategies to recruit both.

Most you can do with anyone. The strategy will tell you if you need to do it with a specific person and will warn you if you try to deploy without them. On SB so far this has been Raphael needing Ignatz and Mercedes needing Jeritza