Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Bankrupt companies can't enforce NDAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PITY BONER posted:

https://www.balenciaga.com/en-us/men/shoes/sneakers

(these have LEDs in the sole)

Physical NFTs, and, much like real NFTs, only a very select crowd of idiots will be impressed with your show of wealth.

EDIT: LMAO

As someone who owns 6 pairs of Birkenstocks this makes me feel dangerously smug.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I'm someone who thinks that most of the expensive sneakers/shoes people buy are ugly as sin but those really take the cake.

edit: or should it be "...really take the ape???"

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 26, 2022

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
https://twitter.com/AltcoinPsycho/status/1539142458101096448

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

Revins posted:

I own a small fraction of a bitcoin, left over from the time I bought psychedelic drugs off the internet. I wonder if its worth cashing in at this point

e: lol, my 7 microbitcoins are now worth 5 bucks, up from about a dollar last time I glanced at it.

e2: wait apparently that was before the app I used updated things. my .007 BC is now worth 40 dollars?? I could honestly use that money, thanks e-currency I only partially understand!

I got "tipped" some Bitcoins on Reddit like a decade ago. I totally forgot about it, but when I went to look into it the site that was in charge of the transaction or whatever was gone. No idea how much I "had," but I wish I'd have actually looked into it way back then instead of letting it languish.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LordoftheScheisse posted:

I got "tipped" some Bitcoins on Reddit like a decade ago. I totally forgot about it, but when I went to look into it the site that was in charge of the transaction or whatever was gone. No idea how much I "had," but I wish I'd have actually looked into it way back then instead of letting it languish.

IIRC those 'tips' expired if they were unclaimed within a couple weeks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Tunicate posted:

IIRC those 'tips' expired if they were unclaimed within a couple weeks

Likely. And it's all just meant to be bait to lure people into the system. 'First one's free' and all that.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It was better than what they were proposing, although in hindsight risk is obviously pretty significant akin to Celsius. Nexo is not Celsius but they didn't seem inclined to put it into logical poo poo, I think they just wanted to spend it on a house which was stupid given they had paying jobs and were almost at the income they wanted. Dividend stocks would have been completely fine too. I've been shorting rises this whole time, and almost nothing has changed market wise. We will still easily see 14, it's just a question of when. I could still be wrong too, but time will tell.

https://twitter.com/otteroooo/status/1540862675306967042

seems like nexo is pretty loving bad!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
At least sneakers are real and useful for something. Spending 1k on some lovely toddler shoes will never, ever be as stupid as spending the same amount on a hyperlink

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Unperson_47 posted:

I'm someone who thinks that most of the expensive sneakers/shoes people buy are ugly as sin but those really take the cake.

edit: or should it be "...really take the ape???"

Agree. I've bought cheap sneakers and expensive sneakers but the decision has always been down to whether I personally like them aesthetically. But with NFTs and poo poo like those sneakers it's always just conspicuous consumption, showing everyone how rich you are at the cost of your own aesthetic enjoyment of what you're dressed in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For sale: ape hyperlink, never funged.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

abigserve posted:

At least sneakers are real and useful for something. Spending 1k on some lovely toddler shoes will never, ever be as stupid as spending the same amount on a hyperlink

I wouldn't bet on many of the mutant sneakers not falling apart the first time you foolishly try to wear them

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

LordoftheScheisse posted:

of course you had to have a pretty high balance before they would pay anything out. though the funniest thing about that service was how the usage dropped off a cliff when they ran out of vc cash. so probably they were paying most of the users actually doing the tipping.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PITY BONER posted:

...Law enforcement managed to catch the alleged perp after they bought a highly valuable online gaming username using some of the money.

Amazing, he stole crypto and somehow found something even stupider to blow it on.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Hahaha "valuable online gaming username" what does that even mean?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Beartaco posted:

-=420_WeedGoku_69=-

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I wouldn't bet on many of the mutant sneakers not falling apart the first time you foolishly try to wear them

They've got to hold together long enough for you to conspicuously consume. It's not conspicuous enough if they're just on a shelf in your house

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I feel like not that long ago sneakerheads found out that their status symbols are falling apart because they weren't wearing them, and wearing them would have increased their life span

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beartaco posted:

SteamID= 42069

Baller Time posted:

I feel like not that long ago sneakerheads found out that their status symbols are falling apart because they weren't wearing them, and wearing them would have increased their life span
You pretty much have to encase the sneakers in an airtight Lucite box filled with inert noble gas if you want to prevent them from crumbling.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

SteamID= 42069

You pretty much have to encase the sneakers in an airtight Lucite box filled with inert noble gas if you want to prevent them from crumbling.

They'll still crumble from the components reacting with themselves.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

https://sneakers-magazine.com/9-reasons-to-burn-your-sneaker-collection/

When “Sneakers Magazine” is telling you that collecting sneakers is dumb…

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Collecting sneakers is dumb but it's still about 100 times smarter than 'cryptocurrency' and 'defi'.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Collecting sneakers is dumb but it's still about 100 times smarter than 'cryptocurrency' and 'defi'.

yeah but it's the same idiots doing both.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Despite having done some poop touching, the more I look at this market the more I hate everything about it. Today that article about nazi/ape similarities came through and the discussion devolved into "they were lazy on the comparison". Like nobody in the crypto circles would even acknowledge the overt racism. Or have a real dialogue.

I don't know when we'll get past the denial phase of these fuckers.

Bitcoin Thread: the nazi/ape similarities

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Defi is arguably dumber than investing in apes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

yeah but it's the same idiots doing both.

Based on everyone I know its a single circle

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If nothing else at least a lot of collectible sneakers look cool (not those Balenciagas though) unlike NFTs

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I want the Balenciagas that look like socks because I love Cardi B.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I want the Balenciagas that look like socks because I love Cardi B.

seriously, stop

just stop

do not give money or credibility to Balenciaga, they're clearly just loving with everyone.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

The hell can we do at this point?

I'm working on getting licensed to get myself and my wife rifles and trained properly.

Not for harming others or ourselves, but nothing makes sense anymore.

Need tools. *grunts in ape*

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

LifeSunDeath posted:

seriously, stop

just stop

do not give money or credibility to Balenciaga, they're clearly just loving with everyone.

First time I saw these was April 1st and I just scrolled past thinking how much I hate the internet on april fool's day.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
NFTs aren’t really a “scam” in the same vein as crypto though are they? Like we have always had the real world equivalent of “buying art in the hopes it’ll appreciate” or whatever, and everyone buying one knows they’re spending x$ for a link to a meaningless, highly fungible jpeg2000.

At least if you squint you can almost see the appeal of the CONCEPT. Like I own a print of a movie poster, but that’s not as cool as an original poster that hung in a theater and was signed by the director etc.

However, I may be falling victim to “it can’t be as dumb as it actually is” brain, so feel free to blow me up on this.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I got tipped dogecoin once on reddit for a snarky remark I made about crypto being bad ("lol you think crypto is bad well now you have some crypto, how ironic!"). I forgot about it until I got a message from the service about someone withdrawing it all, apparently my dogecoin tip account was "hacked". Now I will never own a Tesla.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

fullroundaction posted:

NFTs aren’t really a “scam” in the same vein as crypto though are they? Like we have always had the real world equivalent of “buying art in the hopes it’ll appreciate” or whatever, and everyone buying one knows they’re spending x$ for a link to a meaningless, highly fungible jpeg2000.

At least if you squint you can almost see the appeal of the CONCEPT. Like I own a print of a movie poster, but that’s not as cool as an original poster that hung in a theater and was signed by the director etc.

However, I may be falling victim to “it can’t be as dumb as it actually is” brain, so feel free to blow me up on this.

Eh, there's a ton of overlap in that both things are scams - the only way to win is to pass the crypto or the NFT on to someone else for more money than you paid for it, then they're left with a worthless item. They're both Bigger Fool scams.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE-IQ0EXyvg

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A lot of people don’t actually understand exactly what NFTs are

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 38 hours!)

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of people don’t actually understand exactly what NFTs are

Some kind of pastry

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

fullroundaction posted:

But you're not buying a physical object that is unique, you're buying a publicly viewable link from someone that may or may not have anything to do with the original artist. An NFT has no relation with the work of art. And someone else can create their own NFT with the exact same content as yours.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Makes me glad I did not sell them the nexo.us domain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nexous posted:

Makes me glad I did not sell them the nexo.us domain

You could post these tweets on your domain and then charge them an absurdly high fee to remove them.