Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Looks like 2E Nekima can actually go stand on her base, unlike 3E Nekima. :negative:

Go check the original metal Nekima, you'll see how spoiled you kids are these days :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pierzak posted:

Go check the original metal Nekima, you'll see how spoiled you kids are these days :v:

If it helps, Nekima came with a flying base that was too short for her to actually use and I think I took that personal. She stands atop a pile of green stuff now. (Amused to see the photo Goonhammer uses of her has something similar, and for the same reason.)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pierzak posted:

I cant think what you mean!

('scuse the paint job, she was painted a couple of years ago not that long after I got back into painting, and I like to think I'd do a better job now!) Ignoring the missing horn (ebay rescue), what is it about this very tall model with the incredibly large metal wings and oversized metal sword attached to a very heavy integral metal base topper by one INCREDIBLY slender, very flexible metal ankle that could ever go wrong?

Joking aside, I cannot imagine trying to transport this figure to play a game. Just trying to paint her with gentle paintbrush strokes caused her to list to one side at the ankle, the wings, sword and horns seem designed to catch on stuff shes put anywhere near. And even past that, the sword and wrists are another obvious stress point. When I got her she was half constructed, so while I cant say for definite the wings were a nightmare to attach, I will say the way the previous owner had pinned them on (glued in place then holes drilled in from the outside, pins slightly protruding) 100% read to me as a desperation "Maybe THIS will make you fuckers stay on". On the other hand, at least her battle bikini has an integral skirt so her bum isnt hanging out, unlike the original plastic.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

SiKboy posted:

I cant think what you mean!

('scuse the paint job, she was painted a couple of years ago not that long after I got back into painting, and I like to think I'd do a better job now!) Ignoring the missing horn (ebay rescue), what is it about this very tall model with the incredibly large metal wings and oversized metal sword attached to a very heavy integral metal base topper by one INCREDIBLY slender, very flexible metal ankle that could ever go wrong?

Joking aside, I cannot imagine trying to transport this figure to play a game. Just trying to paint her with gentle paintbrush strokes caused her to list to one side at the ankle, the wings, sword and horns seem designed to catch on stuff shes put anywhere near. And even past that, the sword and wrists are another obvious stress point. When I got her she was half constructed, so while I cant say for definite the wings were a nightmare to attach, I will say the way the previous owner had pinned them on (glued in place then holes drilled in from the outside, pins slightly protruding) 100% read to me as a desperation "Maybe THIS will make you fuckers stay on". On the other hand, at least her battle bikini has an integral skirt so her bum isnt hanging out, unlike the original plastic.

This is clearly a very cool and utterly impractical display piece that some mad man thought was a gaming piece.

I do prefer the aesthetic, it is unusual for companies to make a resculpt more 'sexy'. At least the 3e version gave her some fabric back.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Who wants bacon?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like that pig got into the beans!
Nice paintjob as well!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ulix looking good!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SiKboy posted:

Some more Malifaux, the outlaw Barrows Gang

Parker Barrows, and his sidekick Doc Mitchell

Mad Dog Brackett, and Sue

The Bandidos and a Dead Outlaw

Whole crew, including a Convict Gunslinger I painted a couple of years ago before I got the rest of the crew, which then sort of dictated the basing scheme for the rest of them...

These were very cheap on ebay because one of the bandidos was missing her leg and most of them were missing at least one gun. I dont have a particularly deep bits box but I had a spare bionic leg from the Mei Feng box, and made a press mold to make green stuff copies of the pistols they DID have, and it worked out okay. I remembered after taking the group picture that I do have a Miss Demeanour somewhere, and she counts as a convict gunslinger too, but I could not be bothered retaking the picture, plus she doesnt fit the basing scheme.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Parker + Bandits is my absolute favourite Malifaux gang. Simple, effective and just tremendous fun to be cowboys.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the look of these "normal" gangs when they're painted, but I hate painting them. I'm slogging my way through the M&SU, and it's just not fun at all. I'd love to have the Victorias, but then I'd "have" to paint them.

The Parker gang is looking great!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

I love the look of these "normal" gangs when they're painted, but I hate painting them. I'm slogging my way through the M&SU, and it's just not fun at all. I'd love to have the Victorias, but then I'd "have" to paint them.

The Parker gang is looking great!

Thanks! I actually really enjoyed painting them, and the M&SU oddly (and the Victorias, because in my head they were essentially a girl band gone feral). I think its partly just I decided on a basing scheme for them good and early, and once I can sort of imagine them as part of the world that helps me decide how to paint them. The ones I struggle with are mainly ten thunders (looking at whats been sitting on my pile of shame the longest). I theoretically like the Qi and Gong figures for example, but keep putting off painting them because I a) have no idea what basing scheme to go with for them, and b) have no confidence that I'll be able to paint Geisha make up to look like Geishas rather than Juggalos...

Anyway, talking of Ten Thunders...

X-post from Painting thread, as per.

SiKboy posted:

Done some more painting.

A 1e metal Nicodem (Alt Sculpt). I have the plastic 2E somewhere, this was part of a mixed lot, and I thought I'd paint him quick and chuck him back on ebay to clear some space but... Now he's done i kind of think it has a bit more character than the 2e sculpt, or possibly I'm just a bit better at painting than I was 3 years ago.

A trio of Samurai, I have no idea what they were doing with the scale of the kneeling one tbh.

And a trio of Ten Thunders Brothers. Almost entirely speedpaints. Faffing around with various texture paints on the base to see if I could get "in the desert on the edge of a dried up lake bed" which I think I managed.

I found the Samurai kind of a slog to get done, and the main thing that got them onto the painting table was "I need some figures I'm not too worried about messing up to test speed paints with". And for the record, the ten thunders brother with the swords? His right hand sword broke 3 times during the painting process, and once more when I went to varnish him. It overhangs the base so much and is so thin, it catches on everything.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

SiKboy posted:

It overhangs the base so much and is so thin, it catches on everything.

Wyrd.txt

Looks great though!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stuff at work has been frankly mental, so I've not done as much painting, but I did get a couple of things done;

SiKboy posted:

I picked up some UV-curing clear resin having seen Vince Venturella use it for water in his recent "Forest Bases" video. Had a bit of a play with it on some bases here, havent quite got the hang of it yet tbh, but on the other hand, didnt ruin the bases, taking it as a win. It doesnt flow quite as well as I thought it would, and havent got the hand of tinting it yet. Also still trying out the speedpaints I picked up. All Malifaux (2E/3E) figures

McTavish, with his big scaly wet dog. Mainly speedpaints and drybrushing.

3 Poison Gamin. Entirely speedpaints and drybrushing (though I'm not even pretending the figures themselves were any particular effort, the bases took like... easily double the amount of time as the figures in this case). The middle one features my (so far, only) attempt to get the UV resin to mimic flowing water rather than still water which was way harder than I was anticipating.

The Mechanical Rider. Ebay rescue so shes got a replacement spearhead and the horses back hooves have been snapped off and reattached (then extremely carefully redrilled for pinning because of the join being a weak point I wanted to drill up through them into the very thin ankles which were only slightly wider than my drillbit), but she turned out okay in the end.

McTavish is another one where I have the old model painted a while back, and after painting them both up...

I sort of prefer the new gator, but think the old handler has a bit more character to him (the frogs as bait/treats on his belt, the blunderbuss). Overall I'll probably keep the plastic and stick the metal one on ebay at some point. I've been assuming McTavish is the handlers name, but I'm not totally sure thats not the name of the gator tbh. I'm glad as the gator grew it learned not to tug on its leash so much, 1e one does not look comfortable.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Nice stuff, you shame me because I bought the big set of speedpaints and never painted a single mini with them. Time to get off my rear end and do some. The heatwave might have other ideas, but I was planning to become a literal basement dweller anyway so :shrug:

Is the metal on a metallic base, or just a faux-NMM with grey/brown speedpaint?
And is it all primed white, no zenithal preshading of any kind?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pierzak posted:

Nice stuff, you shame me because I bought the big set of speedpaints and never painted a single mini with them. Time to get off my rear end and do some. The heatwave might have other ideas, but I was planning to become a literal basement dweller anyway so :shrug:

Is the metal on a metallic base, or just a faux-NMM with grey/brown speedpaint?
And is it all primed white, no zenithal preshading of any kind?

The metals are mainly either just metallic paints, or speedpaint over a metallic for coloured metal. I'm not confident enough to attempt NMM! The Red Samurai 2 posts ago is blood red speedpaint over silver metallic paint, the brassy one is... Uh... I'm honestly not sure, I think either Hardened Leather of Sand Golem over silver. But anything that looks like grey metal is just a gun metal paint with an ink wash.

I almost always use a zenithal preshade by default. If I remember right I used a white zenithal over a brown undercoat for McTavish and the Poison Gamin (and the ten thunders brothers and nicodem from my previous post). I tend to do that for miniatures with a lot of skin because it still gives some volume to the shadows but I find that white over black, while giving strong shadows can kind of overwhelm the more transparent contrast paints/speedpaints and make the transition from light to shadows look unnaturally harsh. The Mechanical Rider (and the Samurai) was white over black because shes mainly metal, but I gave her skin an quick drybrush with pure white before starting to paint to help the skin tone speedpaint out a little.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SiKboy posted:

The metals are mainly either just metallic paints, or speedpaint over a metallic for coloured metal. I'm not confident enough to attempt NMM! The Red Samurai 2 posts ago is blood red speedpaint over silver metallic paint, the brassy one is... Uh... I'm honestly not sure, I think either Hardened Leather of Sand Golem over silver. But anything that looks like grey metal is just a gun metal paint with an ink wash.

I almost always use a zenithal preshade by default. If I remember right I used a white zenithal over a brown undercoat for McTavish and the Poison Gamin (and the ten thunders brothers and nicodem from my previous post). I tend to do that for miniatures with a lot of skin because it still gives some volume to the shadows but I find that white over black, while giving strong shadows can kind of overwhelm the more transparent contrast paints/speedpaints and make the transition from light to shadows look unnaturally harsh. The Mechanical Rider (and the Samurai) was white over black because shes mainly metal, but I gave her skin an quick drybrush with pure white before starting to paint to help the skin tone speedpaint out a little.
Apparently there are specific speedpaint colors that do basic NMM quite nicely, but I wanted to give it actual metal shine by painting the metal bits bright silver before giving them a glaze, nice to see the idea works in practice.

What's the brown primer you used for Mc T? I wanted a nice dark color that's less stark than the usual white/black zenithal scheme.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pierzak posted:

Apparently there are specific speedpaint colors that do basic NMM quite nicely, but I wanted to give it actual metal shine by painting the metal bits bright silver before giving them a glaze, nice to see the idea works in practice.

What's the brown primer you used for Mc T? I wanted a nice dark color that's less stark than the usual white/black zenithal scheme.

I use "Mushroom Brown" from a company called "Montana" (this range of paints here: https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spray-cans/montana-spray-paint/gold-400ml-artist-paint/montana-gold-400ml-colors). They are what my local Hobbycraft happened to carry when I wanted a brown spray paint, I liked it enough that I've gone back and got it again when the can ran dry. They arent specfically a primer but I've never had any adhesion issues, and I've used it on basically everything fleshy I've painted for the last couple of years, metal and plastic. Any mid-brown spray paint would probably do just as well, whatever you can get locally in a similar colour. The zenithal might have been with white car primer or it could have been with GW wraithbone spray, I honestly dont know, it would have been whatever came to hand first.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Finally got my Speed Paints set, and gave them a test run on a Gremlin. I'm not the best, or fastest, painter...but I got this guy done pretty quickly. One coat in most places, two on the pants. Had some issues with reactivation (you can especially see it where I tried to touch up the area around the eyes. I hit it with a spray varnish, and will attempt touch ups again later. Everything is speed paint over Citadel Corax White spray except the teeth (White Scar) and the belt buckle (Retributor Armour). All in all, I'm happy with it, and impressed with the paints. Going to run through the rest of Ophelia's crew today and make sure to give the paint plenty of time to dry between colors, maybe that will help with the reactivation.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SiKboy posted:

I use "Mushroom Brown" from a company called "Montana" (this range of paints here: https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spray-cans/montana-spray-paint/gold-400ml-artist-paint/montana-gold-400ml-colors). They are what my local Hobbycraft happened to carry when I wanted a brown spray paint, I liked it enough that I've gone back and got it again when the can ran dry. They arent specfically a primer but I've never had any adhesion issues, and I've used it on basically everything fleshy I've painted for the last couple of years, metal and plastic. Any mid-brown spray paint would probably do just as well, whatever you can get locally in a similar colour. The zenithal might have been with white car primer or it could have been with GW wraithbone spray, I honestly dont know, it would have been whatever came to hand first.

I looked up their color swatch and Mushroom does look near-perfect for the purpose. Too bad it's in a spray can, if anyone knows a good airbrushed equivalent I'd love to know.

(And no, I'm not gonna decant that poo poo)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 26, 2022

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Pierzak posted:

I looked up their color swatch and Mushroom does look near-perfect for the purpose. Too bad it's in a spray can, if anyone knows a good airbrushed equivalent I'd love to know.

You could try Husk Brown by Army Painter? Seems pretty close.

https://shop.thearmypainter.com/us/aw3122p

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pierzak posted:

I dont really airbrush I'm afraid, I do have one of the ones with a crappy USB powered portable compressor that I keep meaning to play around with a little more, but I never quite get around to it.

Looking at my paint collection, if was going to try and colour match it my closest hits would probably be either Coat d'arms chocolate brown (which is a little darker) or army painter leather brown (which is a little lighter). But again, almost any mid brown will probably work fine, it just has to be noticeably darker than your zenithal colour while also being noticeably warmer and lighter than pure black.

Devorum posted:

Finally got my Speed Paints set, and gave them a test run on a Gremlin. I'm not the best, or fastest, painter...but I got this guy done pretty quickly. One coat in most places, two on the pants. Had some issues with reactivation (you can especially see it where I tried to touch up the area around the eyes. I hit it with a spray varnish, and will attempt touch ups again later. Everything is speed paint over Citadel Corax White spray except the teeth (White Scar) and the belt buckle (Retributor Armour). All in all, I'm happy with it, and impressed with the paints. Going to run through the rest of Ophelia's crew today and make sure to give the paint plenty of time to dry between colors, maybe that will help with the reactivation.

Looks good! I like Ophelia, I've got her 1e metal crew and have to keep reminding myself that I definitely dont need her newer plastics as well. I've not been varnishing mine mid-paint job, but havent had any issues with reactivation, but that could be down to either 1) leaving them a long time between speedpaint base coat and any touch up, I suspect that they can be touch dry but still reactivatable for longer than you'd think. Just due to when I was painting a lot of mine were left overnight before I went back to them the next day to highlight, and 2) I dont think I did many touch ups with speedpaint. Any minor mistakes I tend to fix in the highlight step with regular acyrlics. Like your boy here, I'd just go back with a very light green and highlight both cheekbones, his brows and nose. That'd cover the minor blemish on one cheekbone while looking like you meant it.

Even without potential reactivation issues touching up with speedpaints/contrast paints is kind of a pain because of how translucent they tend to be, you get some red or blue on the skin then you cant just cover it with the contrast skin tone (even green skin) because it'll show through. I did see a video where someone painting anime robots (Gundam? Gunpla? Something like that) did an excellent job of fixing contrast paint mistakes by covering the blemish with white, then essentially drybrushing the contrast over that when it was dry. I've done that a couple of times.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My customary X-post from the painting thread!

SiKboy posted:

Did some painting over the last couple of weeks.

Some Malifaux stuff, odds and sods filling out crews I already have the backbone of.

Izamu the Armour (2e), basically a suit of armour possessed by the spirit of a long dead samurai. Fun to paint, but an absolute bastard to get a good angle to photograph him from because of the angle of the weapon he has held out in front of him stealing focus and/or blocking most of his face depending on the angle. My solution to this was to give up and take a picture from a terrible angle. No regrets.

Arcane Effigy (1e). I was going to do some OSL from the candles but... I'm doing him on a desert base scheme to match my other Effigies, doing OSL when the figure would be in sunlight felt weird so I didnt. As a happy coincidence, not doing it turned out much easier than doing it would have been.

A Necropunk (1e). He was fun. Hes joining one of the first Malifaux crews I painted so I had to try and work out what the hell shade of green I'd done their lab bases so he matched. I have a rule that I always write down my basing scheme colours, but unfortunately I didnt institute that rule until a while after the Leviticus crew.

And a pair of Gatling Gunners which... I'll level with you, I hate the muzzle flash on that one figure. I'm absolutely fine with magical flames and whatnot, but for some reason the muzzle flash being modelled irrationally irritates me and I have no idea why. These were mainly speed paints and metallics.

The gatling gunners were my first models from wyrd that came pre-assembled. The plastic they are from is softer than usual, felt basically the same as the Reaper Bones plastic. To be honest these particular figures did not spark joy. Not so much the plastic, it was actually pretty much fine but the sculpts themselves annoyed me the more I worked on them. All little things, the guy with the binoculars coat is billowing out like hes superman, which looks really unnatural as hes basically lying prone, the standing guys coat fastens at his breastbone and nowhere else, so looks halfway between a long military coat and a cape, and as I painted them the spent brass over the sandbags went from "nice attention to detail" to "fiddly thing I hate having to paint". And the common malifaux complaint, they absolutely do not fit on the size of base they are supposed to. The standing guy overhangs a little, but the guy with the binoculars... I went with a resin base which has a raised centre, because if you want his feet touching the inner circle of the base the sandbags protrude a clear centimeter out the inner ring. I honestly wonder if them being on a 40mm instead of a 50mm was a tweak they made before release but after the figures had been sculpted. Again, all super minor things, but sometimes you just get halfway through painting a figure and realise it rubs you the wrong way and you just want to hit it with a drybrush and call it a day.

I did have a lot of fun painting the necropunk though, which was nice. Have decided if I pick up any more metal necropunks they get the Leviticus lab base, if I get the plastics... Well I do want to pick up Von Schtook at some point...

I also re-photographed 2 of my keyword crews as they've each had 2-3 figures added since I took their pictures as a group, Yan Lo, and Leviticus.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ca-caw, motherfuckers

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ca-caw, motherfuckers

That looks really good!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from painting thread;

SiKboy posted:

Went on holiday for a week, and came back to an empty painting table having finished my previous projects and tidied my paints away before I left. So I decided to go to my pile o' shame, pick out whatever figures had been in the pile the longest and paint 'em. Which, by a technicality, is these guys, a Dashel Barker Crew for Malifaux. The technicality being that some of these guys (Dashel himself, the patrol and I think the sergeants) have been in the pile of shame for legit years but the rest of the crew has accumulated over that time in bits and pieces from mixed ebay lots. Actually only got the dogs a couple of months ago. But taken as a crew, they are the thing thats been there the longest.

Dashel Barker (2e figure) I'm kind of pleased with how he turned out tbh.

The Dispatcher (Proxy). I dont have the actual model for The Dispatcher, it only comes in the 3e Dashel crew box which I'm not planning on buying, so I decided to bash together my own using mainly parts from the through the breach male kit. I'm pleased with how the figure turned out, the paintjob... eh. I more or less managed to save the skin on the face after a series of bad 2 am painting decisions led to him looking like a zombie with his skull bursting out his face so I'll take it.

Executioner (1e metal) I watched and rewatched the Vince Venturella video on doing tattoos before doing his belly tattoo, then I completely bottled it and just grabbed my fineliner pens instead. Zero regrets. This big heavy metal bastard was 99% complete when, being ridiculously top heavy on the painting handle, he decided to take a dive off the table breaking off the pins to his base, losing an arm, and scraping the paint off his claws and nose. Some regrets. I didnt throw him out the window at that point, and frankly I think I deserve some sort of medal.

Guard Patrol, Riflemen, Sergeants and Guild Hounds (all 2e) These minions were almost entirely speed paints and metallics with some very very quick highlights and/or a bit of drybrushing. The dogs have a different basing scheme because a) they have some rocks and stuff sculpted under their paws which would look strange on cobbled streets and b) I'm pretty much out of cobbled street base inserts which I didnt realise until I came to base them.

Bonus crew shot;

We are not going to talk about how long I spent trying to put together something that looked passable as a proxy for the dispatcher.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Looks like time well spent though-- that dispatcher looks great.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Had my first actual game recently. My Ophelia crew vs Anya. It was a ton of fun, and I wiped the floor with them (7-1 on points; Murdered 99% of their crew).

I felt kind of bad because the other person was also new, but they kind of ignored everything except their secret objectives despite me reminding them...a lot.

Ophelia struck me as very strong, especially if you can keep the Young LaCroix nearby to keep arming her up. Ignoring friendly fire was great, and The Bigger They Are was a huge boon for my little swamp Gremlins.

EDIT: I grabbed the Zipp box and Off The Top Rope. I've put it all together, and I now have blood feud with whoever designed the sprues for the flying bug machines. Tamiya Extra Thin helped a lot, but I was still tempted to just chuck the entire thing.

Who designs a model so that a tiny grapnel tine is a separate piece?

Devorum fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 29, 2022

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Parasol Prophet posted:

Looks like time well spent though-- that dispatcher looks great.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Devorum posted:

EDIT: I grabbed the Zipp box and Off The Top Rope. I've put it all together, and I now have blood feud with whoever designed the sprues for the flying bug machines. Tamiya Extra Thin helped a lot, but I was still tempted to just chuck the entire thing.

Who designs a model so that a tiny grapnel tine is a separate piece?

Out of all the malifaux figures I've built, the Iron Skeeters are some of the worst build experiences. My Skeeters actually have a makeshift replacement grappel for that one guy because I was in the middle of putting them together and that bit dropped out the tweezers I was holding it in. Onto the grey and black carpet. So yeah... About 8 months later I found it for the record, inside my keyboard as it actually hadnt hit the carpet but instead had dropped between the keys. I think my bottom 3 are probably; Hannah Lovelace (So many bits that look the same because of the perspective of the instructions but are absolutely not the same), the Iron Skeeters (separate grapnel with the worlds smallest attachment point, PLUS on one of them putting the rider on before the legs means you cant fit the legs on properly, with no indication on the instructions) and #1 with a loving bullet are the Goryo for Kirais Urami crew. Honorable mention to any gremlin kit where their foot is a separate piece.

But, at least they are done now, thats the bad bit over, and Zipps crew are a lot of fun to paint. The Wrasslers (and Mancha Roja) are some of my favourite figures I think.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The Wrastlers are some of the only minions where I painted the full 3. I love those little dorks.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Are there any fate decks nowadays like the Classic or Retro ones, where they kind of look like an in-universe deck of cards? Or at least ones that don't have book art or character portraits all over them?

I used to have the Retro fate deck and it was perfect, but I seem to have lost it in the ~8 years since I last played, so I need a new one. I doubt there's anything with exactly that aesthetic, but honestly I just want to feel like I'm playing with a deck of cards and not Hot Topic t-shirts.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like the Duality fate deck. It uses the 2. edition symbols, but I don't mind.

(The best deck is the Seriously Twisted one.)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Changed my photography setup slightly and am very happy with the results

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Been playing some Faux again recently and loving it. I own Yan Lo, Misaki and Youko and thinking of picking up one of their alts to keep learning the crew while shaking up the master playstyle. Any recommendations? They all seem to be inversions of their original?

Also how worth of a buy is the Crime Box set? I've never seen someone take Yamaziko or talked about much, but I would very much like a Crime Boss and a Sniper. Or maybe some Archers for my LB.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Been playing some Faux again recently and loving it. I own Yan Lo, Misaki and Youko and thinking of picking up one of their alts to keep learning the crew while shaking up the master playstyle. Any recommendations? They all seem to be inversions of their original?

Also how worth of a buy is the Crime Box set? I've never seen someone take Yamaziko or talked about much, but I would very much like a Crime Boss and a Sniper. Or maybe some Archers for my LB.

Youko2 is one of the best masters in the faction and Yan Lo 2 is one of the best masters in the game. Misaki2 isn’t awesome but Jin Baccara is really good.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gotcha. I'm leaning either of those so that's a good sign! Though I should pick up Manos, the price of the box for one mini I really want is a bit grim.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Gotcha. I'm leaning either of those so that's a good sign! Though I should pick up Manos, the price of the box for one mini I really want is a bit grim.

If you're going to play Yan Lo, you really want Manos, but also you will use Yin and Ashigaru regularly so it's not a wasted box.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from painting thread

SiKboy posted:

Did a bit more painting over the last week or so. Got some new contrast paints and wanted to give them a try.

For Malifaux, I did Titania and her Totem, Gorar. For Titanias base I tried to get a sort of vibe of invasive unnatural growth, with plants overtaking cobbles, with a corpse in there for good measure. Didnt totally succeed, but didnt totally fail either so I'll take it. Probably should have gone with a more living flesh tone on the corpse, I wanted it to look like it had the life drained out of it, but that kind of made it blend in to the background. Gorar covers 98% of the base, so she just got like 2 cobblestones and some greenery.

I'm just going to have a very brief moan about a modelling decision that Wyrd consistantly make that annoys me a little. Titania comes with a flight stand, which is great. The character can fly, and it gives the figure a little extra height. I like the keyword Masters to be easy to pick out visually where possible, and between the wings and the elevation, it'll definitely help. And I quite like the malifaux flight stand actually, compared to the GW straight rod and peg. But, and this is the moan, in common with I think 2 out the 3 Iron Skeeters, the figure doesnt actually have anywhere to connect the goddamn flight stand. You could technically have her standing on it, but the bottom of her foot is the worlds tiniest connection point, she kept breaking off the base I'd glued her to for painting, never mind perching her on top of the flight stand. In the Iron Skeeters case I filed a bit on the underside flat to connect them. That wouldnt work for Titania. So I got a spareG W flight stand, cut the base of it so it would stick to the base at an angle, then used a hobby saw to cut a tiny shelf/lip in the ball end and stuck that to the base of her torn dress at the back. That at least gave 2 sides of contact for glue.

Not sure when I'll get round to the rest of her faction starter box, they look a bit more... I'm going to say "elaborate and detailed" rather than "fiddly to paint", but I will get to them eventually.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The local league got a couple of new players, and all of them complained about assembling the figures,and everyone plus several of the old players complained about the flight sticks.
It's just not good enough, so all of them modified the figures so they're standing on a rock or something.

I actually really like when they make some kind of effect, that sells the flying, like on Kaeris Reborn.

And cool painting, I really like Titania's skin.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

The local league got a couple of new players, and all of them complained about assembling the figures,
And here I am, all out of models to assemble, this poo poo's great to relax with after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

SiKboy posted:

Not sure when I'll get round to the rest of her faction starter box, they look a bit more... I'm going to say "elaborate and detailed" rather than "fiddly to paint", but I will get to them eventually.

I had the same experience they have some great looking models but geeze they don't think about the practical side of things. Having assembled titania and her crew the autumn knights weren't bad but the one with the vine whips... You can very easily make her unable to stand. The whips extend well below her feet 😑.