Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tbf the Emperor was completely right about it and the warp warning created a massive demon incursion on Earth he and his super duper special space marines had to put down.

Horus was also meddling enough to manage to change the wording of the order and send the Wolves, which meant they were going to come thirsty for blood giving Magnus no other option.

I think Magnus was planned to be the warp beacon battery or something. His legion being a ton of psykers was only a problem because he kept recruiting from planet of the sorcerers.

The story of Magnus falling to chaos isn't nearly as interesting as Lorgar or Angron, two people the Emp turbofucked in all the ways by forgetting, you know, human emotion exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

angron, the angry one

ferrus manus, of the iron hands, with the iron hands

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

angron, the angry one

ferrus manus, of the iron hands, with the iron hands

It's moments like these when you realize foundational lore was probably written by the equivalent of someone running a tabletop game for the first time and needing to come up with something that sounds cool but has no other context to draw from.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Perestroika posted:

He throws an absolute bitchfit because Magnus destroyed his super secret project in the process

wasnt that secret project being able to use Webway just like Eldar, that would have helped humanity immensely since no more warp travel risk/navigator guild influence

I would be pretty pissed too!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Warmachine posted:

It's moments like these when you realize foundational lore was probably written by the equivalent of someone running a tabletop game for the first time and needing to come up with something that sounds cool but has no other context to draw from.

It was sorta that plus British punks taking the piss while doing massive amounts of drugs amidst the desolation that was England in the 1980s.

Many of the Primarch names are either puns, taking the piss or both. Konrad Curze of the Night Lords comes from Joseph Konrad plus Colonel Kurtz. Dark Angels' Lion'El Johson from the poet Lionel Johnson who wrote the poem Dark Angel, Corvus Corax of the Raven Guard is the loving Latin name of common raven. Persistent legend goes that they came up with the name Angron from a bouncer at a local pub called Angry-Ron.

Warden fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 25, 2022

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Warden posted:

Persistent legend goes that they came up with the name Angron from a bouncer at a local pub called Angry-Ron.

Knowing this makes the name Angron much better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

frajaq posted:

wasnt that secret project being able to use Webway just like Eldar, that would have helped humanity immensely since no more warp travel risk/navigator guild influence

I would be pretty pissed too!

Yes but again, this was a problem and situation entirely of his own making.

The Emperor is cartoonishly incompetent.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Warden posted:

Persistent legend goes that they came up with the name Angron from a bouncer at a local pub called Angry-Ron.

Be great if Angry Ron was actually totally cool and fine with having a main character named after him.

Like,
Angry Ron *shrugs* "Yep that's me, what can ya say? Those boys nailed it."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes but again, this was a problem and situation entirely of his own making.

The Emperor is cartoonishly incompetent.

"Hey dad, Angron is refusing to leave because the rebellion he's leading is going to be wiped out, and since it's 100% his fellow slave brothers in arms the only family he's ever known he cares more about them then literally anything you could ever give him"

"Teleport him up and make him watch them all get slaughtered. He'll get over it"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Warden posted:

It was sorta that plus British punks taking the piss while doing massive amounts of drugs amidst the desolation that was England in the 1980s.

Many of the Primarch names are either puns, taking the piss or both. Konrad Curze of the Night Lords comes from Joseph Konrad plus Colonel Kurtz. Dark Angels' Lion'El Johson from the poet Lionel Johnson who wrote the poem Dark Angel, Corvus Corax of the Raven Guard is the loving Latin name of common raven. Persistent legend goes that they came up with the name Angron from a bouncer at a local pub called Angry-Ron.

Leman Russ was the pen name for a writer that was frequently published in a fiction magazine the guys read.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That was one thing I never understood about who the Emperor chose to become Space Marines, the protectors of mankind. Sure, Ultramarines, great choice, noble upholders of the empire of man. But then why did he choose poo poo like Konrad Curze and the world full of murderers, rapists, and murderer-rapists to create the Night Lords?!

Like, have some discretion dude.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
the og night lords were from earth, same for most of the first founding.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That was one thing I never understood about who the Emperor chose to become Space Marines, the protectors of mankind. Sure, Ultramarines, great choice, noble upholders of the empire of man. But then why did he choose poo poo like Konrad Curze and the world full of murderers, rapists, and murderer-rapists to create the Night Lords?!

Konrad Curze was made before he was sent to that planet. It was Curze who later decided to recruit from there. Cause the Emperor, after all the Primarchs were found, no longer had any interest in overseeing the war effort and left it entirely to the Primarchs.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

In very simple terms, the reason why the Primarchs were scattered over various planets all over the place was that Chaos somehow managed to dump them all into the Warp from wherever they were initially created, resulting in them all landing on different planets. They all had differences of one sort or another to begin with (as exemplified by minor differences in each Legion before coming under Primarch control), but they were exacerbated by where they ended up. And once in command of a Legion, they moulded the doctrine and training around themselves. Angron's probably the ur-example, given he had a rage-inducing implant shoved in his head by the world he landed on, and once in command of the World Eaters proceeded to demand they all be fitted with copies of the same implant - shockingly, this did not result in a particularly stable Legion after that little detail was added.

Ignoring all the simplistic "he was an idiot" comments, the Emperor's biggest flaw in this department was simply that he was incredibly hands-off with the Primarchs and how they managed their Legions, apparently viewing them the same as before their scattering (see: that human interaction aspect again). Warp fuckery was about the only place he stepped in, due to really loving hating Chaos, and had led to a declaration banning Sorcery (among other Warp-related things). Which was the OTHER half of why he was so angry at Magnus - not only did the message wreck his little project (and kinda created a permanent Warp Rift on Earth instead), but Magnus and his legion had completely ignored that ban thinking they knew better.

edit: Regarding the Night Lords in particular, their specialty under Curze was pacification of unruly planets. He'd basically brought said planet of murderers to heel via terror - he was the Night Haunter, the one who'd flay you alive if you committed murder (or whatever) and then hang the skin on a lamp post as a warning to anyone else thinking of doing so. That sort of thing. This is the philosophy he brought to the Night Lords, and was simply turned towards making planets loyal subjects of Imperial rule (though he did continue targeting criminals as well). He himself also never really degraded from that position, but the Legion itself DID degrade over time from those teachings (and falling to Chaos massively accelerated that). Because, shockingly, when you're a mere mortal and not Murder Batman, abuse of that kind of thing starts to become tempting. Plus, while they switched to drawing troops from Nostromo, the terror he'd instilled in them didn't last so as time went on it went from "new recruits from a planet where such crime has been brutally stamped out" to "new recruits from a planet that's fallen back into a murder and crime infested spree, and bring said inclinations with them" - and he wasn't exactly the most hands-on leader at the best of times. Incidentally, seeing the planet had fallen back into it's old habits is also why his first action after committing to Horus's cause was to shatter the planet.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 26, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Warden posted:

Konrad Curze of the Night Lords comes from Joseph Konrad plus Colonel Kurtz.

And of course, Colonek Kurtz Konrad Kurze met his demise by the hand of Imperial Assassin Martin Sheen M'Shen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FishMcCool posted:

And of course, Colonek Kurtz Konrad Kurze met his demise by the hand of Imperial Assassin Martin Sheen M'Shen.

We're you sent by the Officio Assassinorum? No... you're a servo-skull, sent by Munitorum flacks, to collect imperial scrip.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

IIRC Kurze & Night Lords had actually been on the verge of being censured and ordered to return to Terra due to their conduct, only for the Istvaan III atrocity to happen & the Imperium decided 'gently caress it, we need every Spess Muhreen we have, send them after Horus with 8 other legions'.

Of course they didn't know that the Night Lords & 4 other legions had also secretly pledged themselves to Horus at that time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yvonmukluk posted:

IIRC Kurze & Night Lords had actually been on the verge of being censured and ordered to return to Terra due to their conduct, only for the Istvaan III atrocity to happen & the Imperium decided 'gently caress it, we need every Spess Muhreen we have, send them after Horus with 8 other legions'.

Of course they didn't know that the Night Lords & 4 other legions had also secretly pledged themselves to Horus at that time.

Well Curze and the Night Lords due to their extreme actions had been getting along poorly with most of the other Legions for a while. Curze is actually notable in that he and his Legion went rogue and abandoned the Crusade before all the Chaos stuff started going public (Lorgar fell to Chaos before Curze deserted, but he had not actually made a move yet). It was like 10 years or something before they were located again and asked to help Terra cause they needed help instead of being treated like the deserters they were. However Curze had met with the traitors first and agreed to take their side cause Fulgrim and Horus were Primarchs he had kinda liked while he hated everyone on the Loyalist side, so his forces backstabbed the Loyalist ones.

Curze is notable however that he never fell to Chaos or worshiped it. He was a traitor, but Chaos never really came up for him. He was just crazy, vicious, and fatalistic. His Legion fell to Chaos, but Curze chose to die over joining them.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

His Legion fell to Chaos, but Curze chose to die over joining them.

Some did, some did not. It varies warband by warband and sometimes member by member.

He also told them to their face that he hated them and what they had become and destroying their homeworld was meant to cause them to eventually die out. And they still loved and revered him.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Warden posted:

Yeah, but where the hell did Roubert Gulliman come from, then?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gilman

(no, not really)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Samovar posted:

Yeah, but where the hell did Roubert Gulliman come from, then?

I seem to remember seeing that he and his name were meant to be a take on Caribbean revolutionaries like Toussiant L'overture. But I've never seen anything else to corroborate if that's actually true (or even where I read the original assertion, so for all I know my brain just invented that idea whole clothe) and even if it was, they've moved quite far away from that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Curze and the Night Lords due to their extreme actions had been getting along poorly with most of the other Legions for a while. Curze is actually notable in that he and his Legion went rogue and abandoned the Crusade before all the Chaos stuff started going public (Lorgar fell to Chaos before Curze deserted, but he had not actually made a move yet). It was like 10 years or something before they were located again and asked to help Terra cause they needed help instead of being treated like the deserters they were. However Curze had met with the traitors first and agreed to take their side cause Fulgrim and Horus were Primarchs he had kinda liked while he hated everyone on the Loyalist side, so his forces backstabbed the Loyalist ones.

Curze is notable however that he never fell to Chaos or worshiped it. He was a traitor, but Chaos never really came up for him. He was just crazy, vicious, and fatalistic. His Legion fell to Chaos, but Curze chose to die over joining them.

Curze had some weird thing where he could no poo poo see the future, not warp related, and still let everything play out because what he saw otherwise might've been worse?

I don't know if they've embraced that aspect of him past that original fluff. The Night Lords trilogy, some of the actual best writing in the franchise, brings it up as a fairly important plot point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Basically he was an extremist psycho that played murder Batman for most of his life, which was the closest thing to liking something he ever got. Between growing up on a crime ridden shithole and constantly having visions of his own death? Life was not a fun time for him. In the end he allows the assassin to kill him because it's vindication. He dies as he lived, just on the other side of the equation. That doesn't change that it's showing what he did to be necessary. Sometimes you just need to get rid of a threat, and a shadowy figure striking criminals down is all the legacy he needs. Mostly he's just done, as he hates the monsters his legion has become, never cared much about Chaos, and his super power is seeing the worst possible thing that can happen. All the time. Man just wanted to tap out.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

pentyne posted:

Curze had some weird thing where he could no poo poo see the future, not warp related, and still let everything play out because what he saw otherwise might've been worse?

I don't know if they've embraced that aspect of him past that original fluff. The Night Lords trilogy, some of the actual best writing in the franchise, brings it up as a fairly important plot point.

Seconding the Night Lords trilogy as some of the best 40k books. I'm very much on the crazy/piss-take side of 40k, hence my deep fondness for OG Rogue Trader, but the NL books were a great read, despite leaning at the far end of the grimdaaaaark. And well, it does contain some hilarious bits here and there, such as Malcharion vs Jain Zar.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pentyne posted:

It’s more that he was fatalistic and saw the future as unable to be changed which fuelled many of his actions. Sanguinius however a little before the Siege scared him and put doubt in his mind that his visions were set in stone. It’s part of the reason he chose to die as his vision indicated, viewing it as proof to himself that his visions were fated and he was right to never try and fight or change them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A new 40K TRPG is coming out. I wonder if there is any link between this and it.

https://cubicle7games.com/announcing-warhammer-40000-imperium-maledictum/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

A new 40K TRPG is coming out. I wonder if there is any link between this and it.

That's a d100, which was too confusing for me to every get a handle on.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

another one lol? whats going on

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

frajaq posted:

another one lol? whats going on

sounds like it's a completely different style of game from W&G.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pentyne posted:

That's a d100, which was too confusing for me to every get a handle on.

Rogue Trader is based on a D100 system.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 5, 2022

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mulva posted:

That's entirely wrong. Sanctioned psykers are soul-bound to the Emperor, and it gives them a bit of a cushion. It allows them to go further than unsanctioned ones, who are universally just the worst. Sanctioned psykers are the best of the best on top of that, because if you are just average they feed your soul to the Emperor. You are too much of a risk not to. So to be sanctioned is to be exceptional, and then there are degrees on top of that. A Primaris Psyker is the type of dude that can just drop a detachment with a mind-storm. An alpha psyker can just control an army or blow up a spaceship with their mind.

That's not right either.

A Sanctioned Psyker, is someone who's been assessed by the Imperium and judged to have a useful level of psychic power, and who have the strenght of will and fortitude they're probably not a high risk of corruption/possession and don't require Soul Binding.

If you have a useful level of psychic power and are judged to much of a risk to walk around unsupervised, you're shipped of to Terra* to be Soulbound to the emperor. Which makes them probably safe and channels their powers towards telepathy so they can perform the vital job of sending psyker messages interstellar.

If you're not usefully powerful and judged a risk of corruption/possession, congratulations you've won a one way trip to Terra* to have your Soul fed to the Astromomicon to keep that particular interstellar lighthouse visible for your navigators to negotiate the galaxy by.

If you're Unsanctioned, you may be weak, you may be powerful, you may have a will of iron, or you may be possessed by the first minor imp that looks your way. You might be a Noble living in the upper reaches of a hive spire. Or a shaman living in the sump a 100 floors below. Unsanctioned just means you've slipped through the cracks, and haven't come to the attention of the Black Ships, Astra Telepathica, Ordo Malleus and everyone else whose job it is to hunt down such individuals so they can decide which of the previous categories you belong in.

*or just shot out of hand if a Black Ship isn't handy.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Warden posted:

I was gonna post Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau but it turns out someone already did. Since apparently you can't delete image attachments from posts, here he is again in all his magnificent glory.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Lord Koth posted:

In very simple terms, the reason why the Primarchs were scattered over various planets all over the place was that Chaos somehow managed to dump them all into the Warp from wherever they were initially created, resulting in them all landing on different planets. They all had differences of one sort or another to begin with (as exemplified by minor differences in each Legion before coming under Primarch control), but they were exacerbated by where they ended up. And once in command of a Legion, they moulded the doctrine and training around themselves. Angron's probably the ur-example, given he had a rage-inducing implant shoved in his head by the world he landed on, and once in command of the World Eaters proceeded to demand they all be fitted with copies of the same implant - shockingly, this did not result in a particularly stable Legion after that little detail was added.

Ignoring all the simplistic "he was an idiot" comments, the Emperor's biggest flaw in this department was simply that he was incredibly hands-off with the Primarchs and how they managed their Legions, apparently viewing them the same as before their scattering (see: that human interaction aspect again). Warp fuckery was about the only place he stepped in, due to really loving hating Chaos, and had led to a declaration banning Sorcery (among other Warp-related things). Which was the OTHER half of why he was so angry at Magnus - not only did the message wreck his little project (and kinda created a permanent Warp Rift on Earth instead), but Magnus and his legion had completely ignored that ban thinking they knew better.

edit: Regarding the Night Lords in particular, their specialty under Curze was pacification of unruly planets. He'd basically brought said planet of murderers to heel via terror - he was the Night Haunter, the one who'd flay you alive if you committed murder (or whatever) and then hang the skin on a lamp post as a warning to anyone else thinking of doing so. That sort of thing. This is the philosophy he brought to the Night Lords, and was simply turned towards making planets loyal subjects of Imperial rule (though he did continue targeting criminals as well). He himself also never really degraded from that position, but the Legion itself DID degrade over time from those teachings (and falling to Chaos massively accelerated that). Because, shockingly, when you're a mere mortal and not Murder Batman, abuse of that kind of thing starts to become tempting. Plus, while they switched to drawing troops from Nostromo, the terror he'd instilled in them didn't last so as time went on it went from "new recruits from a planet where such crime has been brutally stamped out" to "new recruits from a planet that's fallen back into a murder and crime infested spree, and bring said inclinations with them" - and he wasn't exactly the most hands-on leader at the best of times. Incidentally, seeing the planet had fallen back into it's old habits is also why his first action after committing to Horus's cause was to shatter the planet.

Also, Erda, the Emperor's wife who was another perpetual did it. She rightfully pegged him as a massive authoritarian dickhead with a bad case of having a complex about being the great man in the great man theory who would change the world under his (not so) benevolent insanely murderous dictatorship. So when he went too far and made actual no poo poo kids that he fully intended to be disposed of once their use had passed she tried to curb his antics.

This is a pattern of behavior in their relationship. Eventually, this thankless pattern of trying to cover for Emps unbelievable sociopathy got her murdered by way of demon.

quote:

Erda met the Emperor in Terra's ancient past, when he was a warlord king known as Neoth in the age of the First Cities. At that time, the Emperor was already shepherding Mankind into the path that would lead to the creation of the Imperium. Erda grew to adore the Emperor and she became one of the many Perpetuals that aided him in his task. In time, though, the Emperor's arrogance and the risks he took to accelerate Mankind's future caused most of the Perpetuals to leave him.

Many of the perpetuals like Emps basically all came to the conclusion that Emps was a massive egotistical idiot and gave him a "what the gently caress is WRONG with you?!" speech over the course of his latest attempt to conquer humanity (Who it is heavily implied he considers inferior to himself, like the nazi he is.).

The problem is, for all that he talks about humanity being superior Emps is also heavily suggested to be a massive mutant bearing mutations that don't naturally occur in human beings. As one explanation for him is that he's what happens when a perpetual mutates (or is mutated by something else) to become their version of an alpha+ psyker. So none of them can really do a damned thing to outright stop him until it's too late and he's all but literally set the galaxy on fire due to his furious authoritarian dumbassery. At which point most of the perpetuals we know of then die trying to put out the flames of his latest gently caress up. And yes, I said latest, more on that in a bit.

Fast forward a bit and it's unsurprising that almost every ally he ever made that was in on the conspiracy had flipped their poo poo out of disgust as his latest bout of empire building became more and more heinous in it's methods. Which by the way is a thing. I say latest because he has committed several grand crusades and empires throughout the setting's history and 40K's Imperium is only the latest one.

Every time. Every single time. It goes horribly wrong through him being a manipulative bastard turning valued allies away from him due to revealing his true colors as not really caring about humanity one bit. Him being the apotheosis of an evil authoritarian who gets Horus'd is literally a cycle he never learns from dating back into prehistory (as in like pre BC year dating), leading him to the ultimate ending of him getting put on a golden throne and worshipped into insanity by the setting's physics after he fucks up on a galactic scale one final time.

Edit: Also, the implication behind their being female no space marines is that he didn't want them to breed. Fabius goes into this a bit. Dude can't comprehend why Emps ddn't make a self sustaining race of super soldiers when the galaxy is such a hostile place to live in. Meanwhile the HH books and lore all but outright state that he only ever saw the space marines and primarchs as expendable tools to be imprisoned beneath the imperial palace and trotted out as occasional propaganda tools once they had conquered the galaxy. Or if they resisted Thunder Warrior'd at the first inconvenience to his plans.

Ditto for gene seed decaying. Having it turn into a mutated nightmare is one way to ensure that space marines can never conquer the galaxy or be truly independent of the Imperium and Emp's scheming in the long run.

That a literal giant sized group of supermen leading armies of super soldiers might take offense to this quite frankly heinously dumb plan that forgoes considering how they might feel about being life long prisoners whose emotional state, mental state, and freedom is (to the Emperor) irrelevant never seemed to occur to him. Or more likely, like most authoritarians he never figured that anyone would have the power to stand up to him in a fight and put him in his place for all the awful monstrous poo poo he had done.

Cue irony via a very much possessed and at this point very much evil Horus beating the rear end in a top hat out of Emps. Which sets Emps on the path to being skeletonized on a gold throne.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 6, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
https://www.reddit.com/r/RogueTraderCRPG/comments/wgxr4f/i_claim_this_world_in_the_name_of_the_emperor_and/

You know the old meme "Yes Commissar, this thread here" when you want to point out heresy?

This is slightly different.

"Yes, thread, this Commissar here" when you want to point out what happens when people commit heresy

This is a possible player portrait (and possibly an archetype option), not a follower.

I want to hang the nickname of Komissar Stalin on him already

edit: Also, Dark Heresy fans rejoice, you're getting a new Dark Heresy-style d100 game from Cubicle 7, called Imperium Maledictum (from what it sounds like, it's DH 3rd edition in all but name)

Strangely enough, this works alongside (not with, separate systems) (and does not replace) Wrath and Glory

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 6, 2022

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

holy poo poo Owlcat dont gently caress this up :kiss:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

frajaq posted:

holy poo poo Owlcat dont gently caress this up :kiss:

I'm not worried about them loving it up, I'm more worried the game actually works at launch. They're 2/2 with games that release 1.0 in an unbeatable state, and I think that Kingmaker took several months for them to fix after launch.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

pentyne posted:

I'm not worried about them loving it up, I'm more worried the game actually works at launch. They're 2/2 with games that release 1.0 in an unbeatable state, and I think that Kingmaker took several months for them to fix after launch.

Hey, now, to be fair, Wrath of the Righteous could at least technically be played to completion at launch, if you managed to avoid all the game-breaking bugs, ignored the dozens of broken quests and glitched items along the way, and more or less fled to the end like a man escaping a collapsing building. And a year later they've almost got it most of the way to being fully functional!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah there were some really bad bugs that could cause the game to crash endlessly in the first gray garrison area and I think some paths like Lich couldn't complete the crusade segments. But you could finish the game if you avoided those particular problems and a few others (and never used charge ever).

So uh, there's hope that Rogue trader might only be a partial trainwreck on release day instead of a complete one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I just hope RT sticks to character action and doesn't include the apparently mandatory Pathfinder Management minigame which vastly overstays its welcome.