Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

taking the viper ultimate as an example, the scroll wheel click looks like a conventional mechanical switch, distinct from the razer-branded optical switches

maybe it's optical in a different form factor?

as klyith said, they have good reason not to put opticals everywhere in a wireless mouse because they consume power continuously, and the wheel/side clicks don't see as much abuse anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Anyone got a good rec for a mouse in the $60ish range? My razer atheris is turning off randomly for minutes at a time, looking for something similar (portable, not too small, thumb buttons). Build quality I'd want to max out, with bonus points for:

- dual-mode bt/dongle
- wired charging & use
- replaceable dongles

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone got a good rec for a mouse in the $60ish range? My razer atheris is turning off randomly for minutes at a time, looking for something similar (portable, not too small, thumb buttons). Build quality I'd want to max out, with bonus points for:

- dual-mode bt/dongle
- wired charging & use
- replaceable dongles

The orochi v2 seems to have the same shape and dual bt/wireless connectivity. It also fits the price range.

It doesn't have wired charging or use. It uses AA or AAA batteries but you can use rechargeable ones. I assume you can probably use any razer dongle for it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Orochi v2 literally was on sale for $28 at Best Buy until like yesterday. I bought two and will probably return one. Even at the full price I think it meets your requirements.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

repiv posted:

taking the viper ultimate as an example, the scroll wheel click looks like a conventional mechanical switch, distinct from the razer-branded optical switches

maybe it's optical in a different form factor?

as klyith said, they have good reason not to put opticals everywhere in a wireless mouse because they consume power continuously, and the wheel/side clicks don't see as much abuse anyway

I've bought the wired version of the Deathadder.

But it would be pretty weird for them to change the internals between the wired and wireless versions and still call it the same thing. And for pretty cheap, at that.

HolHorsejob posted:

- dual-mode bt/dongle
- wired charging & use
- replaceable dongles

Well, I've just bought a Deathadder for $69 (nice).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

AFAIK that's not the case on any Razer mouse except I think one version of the Naga maybe. They're all optical switches.

Only left and right buttons are optical. This is trivial to verify if you search reviews.

And believe me, the first time someone makes a mouse with all optical switches on extra buttons they'll be screaming "ALL OPTICAL SWITCHES!!!1!" on all their ad copy.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Good info. I could have sworn I saw Razer post info about it at some point but clearly not. I'm curious how the actual durability of these mice will go then. Certainly doesn't seem to be a failure trend yet, but we'll see.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
That's not great... even if they don't develop issues with left and right click, scroll wheels often die just after the warranty anyway. Doesn't bode as well for the optical ones as I thought.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Weird, do you play games where you middle click a ton?

I think I remember the wheel button on my MX1000 got kinda mushy and bad, like it would still register but there was no feedback so it was unpleasant. Never had the wheel or side-buttons break on more modern mice. Only main buttons.

And I'm the guy who laboriously opens up the L&R microswitches to clean the tiny contacts to get as many years as possible from his mice!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

I think I remember the wheel button on my MX1000 got kinda mushy and bad, like it would still register but there was no feedback so it was unpleasant. Never had the wheel or side-buttons break on more modern mice. Only main buttons.

And I'm the guy who laboriously opens up the L&R microswitches to clean the tiny contacts to get as many years as possible from his mice!

I dunno about anybody else, and I don't have a dog in this fight, but I use mouseclick EXTENSIVELY when playing PoE and its alikes as my move-only button. poo poo gets a massive workout.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Klyith posted:

:psyduck: Do you not use a web browser? Do you not open tabs? Do you laboriously RMB -> Open In New Tab every time? Or do you have a separate nongaming mouse that you switch to when you're not gaming?

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 26, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hyperlynx posted:

:psyduck: Do you not use a web browser? Do you not open tabs? Do you laboriously RMB -> Open In New Tab every time? Or do you have a separate nongaming mouse that you switch to when you're not gaming?

The wheel is such a bad button that on my old mouse I set a search-button as a middle click. Biggest reason why I used the MX620 for ages. Since no one seems to make a suitable replacement, nowadays I mostly use Ctrl+left click for new tabs.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Hyperlynx posted:

TIL you can middle clock and open a new tab directly

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

SalTheBard posted:

TIL you can middle clock and open a new tab directly

Well, I was going to be all astonished at this, but I just learned you can ctrl+click too...

That's pretty much why I wanted a working middle click: opening tabs, and starting that scroll-by-moving-the-mouse thing. I don't really have my middle click bound to anything important ingame. Though I do use it to toggle the minimap size in planetside 2

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hyperlynx posted:

Sure, but middle-clicking new tabs in a browser is nothing. That's not generating more than a click or two per minute, and on average way less. A couple hundred clicks per day is not gonna wear out a decent switch in any reasonable time.

If you've had a couple middle-buttons breaking just from normal use, I'd say you've had a couple mice that were coincidentally defective. (Or, I dunno, do you repeatedly middle-click to turn the auto-scroll on and off while reading? I sometimes start OCD selecting text while reading web pages so I could see that being a habit.)

Saukkis posted:

Biggest reason why I used the MX620 for ages.

Hey, I had one of those too! Great mouse, shame that they used the type of rubberized plastic that turns into goo after a few years.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I used middle click to close tabs, but for some reason it never dawned on me that you could middle click to open tabs too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't like clicking MMB too much, a remnant from back when clicking mouse wheels was awful, so for browsing I either use ctrl-click or "RMB, click top context menu option for new tab". Thankfully the browser I'm using now has an easy way to edit the menus, so I can make sure new tab is on top, even if browser devs decide they're going to "optimize" the menus for me and move something else up there :v:

The Logitech MX Anywhere I use for my notebook for years is weird anyway, MMB has to be mapped to a distinct button (I think the default function was task switch) above/behind the mousewheel because clicking the wheel just toggles freespin mode on and off.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I used middle click to close tabs, but for some reason it never dawned on me that you could middle click to open tabs too.

Well, I didn't know that you can use middle click to close them. I used middle click to open them for 2 decades now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I never use those DPI buttons anyway, so I made the top one "close current tab" and the bottom one "scroll to top". Gotta make full use of all the buttons on this $100 mouse!

I keep forgetting about the bottom one though. I'll probably replace it with something like the Snip & Sketch hotkey (windows + shift + s) if I ever reinstall Razer's software.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 26, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Klyith posted:

Sure, but middle-clicking new tabs in a browser is nothing. That's not generating more than a click or two per minute, and on average way less. A couple hundred clicks per day is not gonna wear out a decent switch in any reasonable time.

If you've had a couple middle-buttons breaking just from normal use, I'd say you've had a couple mice that were coincidentally defective. (Or, I dunno, do you repeatedly middle-click to turn the auto-scroll on and off while reading? I sometimes start OCD selecting text while reading web pages so I could see that being a habit.)

Hey, I had one of those too! Great mouse, shame that they used the type of rubberized plastic that turns into goo after a few years.

I middle click to open and close tabs, middle click to scroll a lot (the wheel is my least used method of navigation, middle click and my pageup/pagedown binds do almost all the work). I wouldn't say it gets as much total usage as left/right click because of games, but I will say I've had at least as many mice fail for middle click as anything else. I think it's probably more vulnerable because it's more exposed than the other switches being only a bit to the side of an opening, and also it's in what is probably a more physically abusive configuration than most mice, which have a LOT of meat to stop overtravel on the main buttons but not so much protection on the wheel.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, I used to use left/right click drastically more than middle when I actually had time for my game backlog, but that was years ago. These days middle click gets nearly as much use as the others due to primarily using my computer for browsing and work. I can't believe some of you guys don't use middle click for tab control and scrolling...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
A lot of people use midclick for camera anchor in MOBAs and similar games, which makes it one of the most-used buttons

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 26, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

K8.0 posted:

I middle click to open and close tabs, middle click to scroll a lot (the wheel is my least used method of navigation, middle click and my pageup/pagedown binds do almost all the work). I wouldn't say it gets as much total usage as left/right click because of games, but I will say I've had at least as many mice fail for middle click as anything else. I think it's probably more vulnerable because it's more exposed than the other switches being only a bit to the side of an opening, and also it's in what is probably a more physically abusive configuration than most mice, which have a LOT of meat to stop overtravel on the main buttons but not so much protection on the wheel.

There is something to that. Also there are a poo poo-ton of variations in what type of switch gets used for the middle button and how it's physically rigged up.

The mice I've been using for a long time are the logitech ones with side-wheel action, those have a sort of caddy for the wheel and the m-button switch gets pressed by a bit of the plastic caddy. That moves the switch away from the wheel hole, but the tiny SMD button is probably vulnerable to too much force.

The common thing right now seems to be putting the wheel axle directly over a medium-size microswitch. Those have a sturdy enough shell to prevent over-travel, but the positioning is probably bad for dirt. Anything on the axle is just gonna be wiped onto the switch top. Also the switch is doing 100% of the feedback rather than a separate spring.

Mierenneuker posted:

I never use those DPI buttons anyway, so I made the top one "close current tab" and the bottom one "scroll to top". Gotta make full use of all the buttons on this $100 mouse!

For productivity, my #1 tip for an extra mouse button continues to be switching virtual desktops. It is so fetch.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

For productivity, my #1 tip for an extra mouse button continues to be switching virtual desktops. It is so fetch.
Uh quoting this so I can set this up at work next week.

They took away my 2nd screen because a new guy started who's in the office more than me and apparently earlier this year it was impossible to get the proper 24 or 27 inch office models for him in time.

So I had to set a virtual desktop for my usual engineering workflow from home (for some reason the Intel iGPU driver refuses to run it at 1200p like the actual monitor but whatever) and I never even thought of using my mouse to switch them :doh:

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Which razer program actually fucks with the settings on my mouse? There's two installed (cortex? synapse?) and neither one actually handles things like the mouse LED or settings

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've been using a glass mousepad for a few days in an effort to not have to have a cloth mousepad, which degrades and gets dirty and is gross. The idea of being able to just windex my mousepad is super attractive.

Notes:

• If you have lovely and dirty mouse feet, it's gonna suck. If you want a lot of friction, it's probably gonna suck. The only mouse I've really liked on it has clean PTFE feet on it.
• If you have PTFE feet and want a really smooth, consistent and light drag, it's pretty wonderful.
• The texture is hard to describe. My glass desk renders my mouse somewhat sticky. This Mousepad is super low friction by comparison.

Overall, I really like it, but I feel like this pad will exaggerate 'bad' mice feet.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

HolHorsejob posted:

Which razer program actually fucks with the settings on my mouse? There's two installed (cortex? synapse?) and neither one actually handles things like the mouse LED or settings

Synapse is the one that does that stuff. Bindings are under customize, RGB is under lighting. Both of them are tumors but Cortex is a really aggressive cancer so get rid of it ASAP.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Klyith posted:

If you've had a couple middle-buttons breaking just from normal use, I'd say you've had a couple mice that were coincidentally defective.

That's fair.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've been using a glass mousepad for a few days in an effort to not have to have a cloth mousepad, which degrades and gets dirty and is gross. The idea of being able to just windex my mousepad is super attractive.

Notes:

• If you have lovely and dirty mouse feet, it's gonna suck. If you want a lot of friction, it's probably gonna suck. The only mouse I've really liked on it has clean PTFE feet on it.
• If you have PTFE feet and want a really smooth, consistent and light drag, it's pretty wonderful.
• The texture is hard to describe. My glass desk renders my mouse somewhat sticky. This Mousepad is super low friction by comparison.

Overall, I really like it, but I feel like this pad will exaggerate 'bad' mice feet.

Which one did you buy? I'm slightly interested in getting one.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Which one did you buy? I'm slightly interested in getting one.

Skypad 3.0 XL. The XL is pretty huge - they have dimensions on their website.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am surprised nobody has come out with a mousepad that works like an air hockey table for a nigh frictionless experience

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You think that's pretty huge? This is a large mouse pad.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

It's also gonna wear through the feet a lot faster. Glass is harder than PTFE.

My desktop is a formica laminate with a light surface texture. (Formica is made from a *very* hard and durable resin.) Quite some time ago I used no mousepad, just the desk, and it's probably pretty similar to a glass mousepad. I'd bet the texture is similar to lightly-frosted glass. It works really well -- very slick when clean and excellent tracking. And, of course, it's the size of the whole desk.

My observed downsides:
* had to clean it super often. I kept a bottle of rubbing alcohol on my desk. (I'd also pick that over windex on glass as well -- alcohol is good at removing hand oils, and the odor goes away faster.)
* wore through mouse feet.
* the big footpads on modern mice, they can get tiny grit trapped between the pad and the surface. To me this was worse than fingernails on chalkboard. with an older mouse with old-school small oval feet, this didn't really happen.

Back when I played competitive games I took the tradeoff, and just did a wipedown before gaming.

edit: if you want an 8' x 4' mousepad for just $100, I highly recommend it!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 27, 2022

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
can't beat a leather mousepad (https://www.ableather.com.au/collections/corporate-range/products/premium-leather-mouse-pad)

just don't condition it with any product containing beeswax - the friction of the mouse over time makes the wax come to the surface and reduce friction. Don't condition it at all in fact.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As someone with a glass desk, a glass mousepad sounds like a real bad idea. It’s gonna get grimy and fingerprinty real quick, and there’s nothing you can do about it, short of wearing gloves. The only reason I haven’t gotten rid of my glass desk is because I can’t find a way to get it out the bedroom door. Glass bad.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

As someone with a glass desk, a glass mousepad sounds like a real bad idea. It’s gonna get grimy and fingerprinty real quick, and there’s nothing you can do about it, short of wearing gloves. The only reason I haven’t gotten rid of my glass desk is because I can’t find a way to get it out the bedroom door. Glass bad.

Oh, I hard disagree. I've had a glass desk since 2006~ and will never go back. I can't say it gets that finger print-y, but the actual killer feature of glass is that it's totally trivial to clean and damaging them is very difficulty unless you are actively asking for scratches.

Glass everything, please!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

K8.0 posted:

You think that's pretty huge? This is a large mouse pad.

I'll one up you (I have this one for my desk)

XL Mouse Pads - (Black, 4XL (60'' x 30'')) https://a.co/d/5ap75Jh

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Vegetable posted:

The surface and texture are different enough that it's not a grime or fingerprint magnet. Just wiping it down once in a while keeps it clean too.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

This mouse is hard to get used to. I keep right clicking when I don't mean to, just from moving the mouse. ...which I'm apparently doing with two fingers on the rmb. That probably has something to do with it.

I think maybe this thing really wants to be claw-gripped, when I guess I'm more of a palm-gripper (?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Oh, I hard disagree. I've had a glass desk since 2006~ and will never go back. I can't say it gets that finger print-y, but the actual killer feature of glass is that it's totally trivial to clean and damaging them is very difficulty unless you are actively asking for scratches.

Glass everything, please!

My experience with glass desks is the opposite, scratches just show up over time and they're really visible with no easy fix. If you ever have to move it's easy to get an accidental chip on an edge as well. Cleaning is easy but I hate how obvious the fingerprints are, I feel like I'm constantly wiping things down like on my phone. I also wanted to put a monitor arm on my desk but had to give up that idea because there was no safe way to mount one. Worst case scenario is spontaneous shattering, leaving you a room full of glass shards to clean up and possibly damaging anything you had on the desk. A goon in the desk thread had that happen a few months ago and posted a pic.

Glass mousepads are fine though, it's relatively small and your fingers probably aren't contacting the surface much if at all. It's also not going to be load bearing for your valuable electronics.