Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

It's always super cringe when you see grown adults flexing how much money they've thrown into a 10yo pre-alpha made by a bumbling has-been who has no idea whatsoever how to play his "game", or how to actually develop it. anything

FTFY

edit: gangsta cat isn't impressed by Legatus wannabes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I was mining in E:D for some time in the dark using nightvision. Then it got all bright and I had to turn it off because of the local sunrise which looked fantastic, the light streaming through the asteroids.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Has anyone said tickle down economics yet

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

trucutru posted:

Star Control II is still, 30 years after its release, the best space game.

Spicy games are always fun

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Plan R posted:

I was mining in E:D for some time in the dark using nightvision. Then it got all bright and I had to turn it off because of the local sunrise which looked fantastic, the light streaming through the asteroids.

Yeah, but did it make you hard? Check mate.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

In summary reject modernity and play TerminalEscape Velocity

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Absolutely incredible picture. Tag yourself.

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1540821700429975553

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I'm the cardboard cutout dude in the balls shorts

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
look I can't even hate on middle row mid-left's neckbeard. that is incredible.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The Walrus posted:

Looks like a cartoon character where the hair on top slid around down to the bottom making a droopy slide whistle sound

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
at least from my voice chat escapades in star citizen, that picture seems weirdly perfect as a demographic snapshot of basically everyone you meet in-game

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

You don't need to read "Berlin" to tell those guys are German.

Edit: Ooh there's a monster neckbeard in there too.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
do you think they make spaceship noises when they talk about the game?

pew pew pew pew pew

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhmmmm

spooling up quantum! chichichichichichi wooooooooooooooooosh

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Lord Stimperor posted:

In terms of good Space games, I'd like to throw a couple of less obvious ones in the ring:

Star Control II
Is an old DOS game. I came across it on an emulator many years ago and despite not knowing it from my childhood, I enjoyed it. Point being my enjoyment wasn't driven by nostalgia and it really held up. You're piloting an Ark through space to perform quests, modifying it, having space battles, and driving exploration vehicles over planetary surfaces. Really neat.

The superior 3DO version is now open source and has been ported to pretty much every modern OS. They had to change the name to The Ur-Quan Masters; the original devs own the entirety of the game itself but don't have the rights to the Star Control title.

It's one of the best space games of all time and now there's zero excuse for having never played it. Runs natively on pretty much everything and is old enough that the system requirements are almost nothing.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Cardboard cutout dude still has more depth than Star Citizen.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Escape Velocity: Nova is the best space game not yet mentioned, I think. Like StarCon 2, it's really a story-based RPG which is padded out with randomized, top-down, arcade-ish combat encounters. The flavor is way closer to the Han Solo lone space cowboy ideal though.

A much older game, from my formative gaming years of C=64 gaming, is Space Rogue, which is not a roguelike, but which was published by Origin and can, according to wikipedia, "be considered as the spiritual predecessor to Origin's Wing Commander series". I look back on it with incredible fondness, but I think it would hold up very poorly today as a gameplay experience.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
It is very important to my rank to be at this bar citizer; but I really can't make it. Fellow Citizer, please assemble this cardboard cutout and defend my honor.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
It's me holding the cardboard cutout; just trialling my new method for getting enough crew to staff large ships.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m the guy on the right who has sensibly decided to spend his jpeg money on three giant German steins of lager

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

incredible, how does it perform so much better than npcs in the game? they need to study this tech

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
roasted
double roasted
:master: roasted

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Walrus posted:

Dude in the black shirt, right*? Put that guy in robes and I will believe he can cast spells, no problem.

*Then again, it can be argued that the majority of SC supporters are blackshirts on the right.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

mdxi posted:

Escape Velocity: Nova is the best space game not yet mentioned, I think.

But it seems you can just download the game for free?
Sorry but a game can't be good if it doesn't costs 50 bucks AND lets you spend thousands on ships AND has an extra subscription.

Also, maybe I'm too old but one of the best space games I've played (and haven't seen mentioned iirc) was Freespace 2, shitload of branching missions, great amount of ships and weapons, a menacing alien race and good overall story.
It's also still supported and modded by the community afaik.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

incredible, how does it perform so much better than npcs in the game? they need to study this tech

Stop spreading fud, that cardboard cutout can't prepare you a cocktail by dinamically navigating the bar and getting ingredients with realistic hand animations mocapped by real bartenders. All while mantaining eye contact with you and telling other clients they have to wait their turn.
And just imagine™ what happens when Quanta is in and every NPC will be indistinguishable from real players or their cardboard cutouts.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hmmyes:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: I have never met a larger group of idiots and morons than the people who spent $$$ on this game.

Also, I've bookmarked that brave citizen to see how the mods react to their enthusiastic feedback. :ohdear:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

There’s no better way to prove the haters wrong than by showing up in the replies to an obscure Tweet making fun of SC, and then bragging about how much you’re a simp for a 10 year old CryEngine Demo and the coke-bloated moron running it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

...! posted:

The superior 3DO version is now open source and has been ported to pretty much every modern OS. They had to change the name to The Ur-Quan Masters; the original devs own the entirety of the game itself but don't have the rights to the Star Control title.

It's one of the best space games of all time and now there's zero excuse for having never played it. Runs natively on pretty much everything and is old enough that the system requirements are almost nothing.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

That's in fact exactly the version I meant! I misremembered it as being some ROM I downloaded along an emulator, but it must have been this one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

yeah, because the game will be finally playable by your great grandchildren

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It's always super cringe when you see grown adults flexing how much money they've thrown into a 10yo pre-alpha made by a bumbling has-been who has no idea whatsoever how to play his "game", or how to actually develop it.

There are so many other ways one could spend $10k. Even just keeping it as Dad hobby poo poo, you could have a really nice workshop or amateur astronomy setup

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
“10k? Lol, I only spent $1000!” :smug:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:mods: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizen: I have never met a larger group of idiots and morons than the people who spent $$$ on this game.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Update on our brave citizen:

One month, not too bad, also surprised one of their mods decided to work on a Sunday.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Update on our brave citizen:

One month, not too bad, also surprised one of their mods decided to work on a Sunday.

Insinuating that they are paid for being power tripping mods.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Insinuating that they are paid for being power tripping mods.

Well, prolly not, but disgruntled citizens know that during the weekend Spectrum frequently turns into a free-for-all arena, with outrageous threads often staying up until Monday and turning into hilarious flame wars cause the mods are nowhere to be seen.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

JammyB posted:

It's me holding the cardboard cutout; just trialling my new method for getting enough crew to staff large ships.

The haters will say it's a cardboard cutout, but you know that it's a tier 0 friend.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/1540469804666163201

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
A bit late to this, so I can't believe that I'm the first person to tag himself as the dude in the white shirt with blue sleeves that appears to be wearing slippers shaped like... blue ducks?

I know it looks like those are plush animals positioned in front of the guy's feet. But look more closely, and note that the one on the right wraps around his ankle.

Those are blue duck shoes, my friend.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

A bit late to this, so I can't believe that I'm the first person to tag himself as the dude in the white shirt with blue sleeves that appears to be wearing slippers shaped like... blue ducks?

I know it looks like those are plush animals positioned in front of the guy's feet. But look more closely, and note that the one on the right wraps around his ankle.

Every Star Citizen gathering seems to be a perfect mix of middle aged neckbeard weirdos who crawled out of some parental basement, and tedious upper-middle-class game dads. Then there’s like the two or three women who awkwardly have to sit there and deal with a metric ton of cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Those are Pico slippers, first time you see em?

Only 55 bucks at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Pico-The-Penguin-Slippers/L-XL