Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK BiowasteEntoileted.

Bet you think that's REAL clever, Vincent van...uh Gogh.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly I barely recognise him as Strange. I think the facial hair does it, since otherwise he has pretty distinct facial features.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

those sound good though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bumberchute Cumberland

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Midnight Voyager posted:

...I don't think every single "mangle a guy's name" joke stemmed from a joke about Shyamalan.
It's been going on probably for as long as names have existed, but obviously Englebert Humperdink would have had it before Shyamalan and Cucumberpatch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’ve heard his name getting mangled but not until he lost favor after his first few well received movies. But that seems own a guy you don’t like in any way possible

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So what did the thread think of Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan in the latest Star Trek franchise?

He was loving awesome at it. The plot gave up so little about the character's nature that when he finally had a chance to drop some dialogue, it was some real poo poo. The movie meandered from there and the ending kinda sucked but his performance as Khan was not at all why it suffered.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: It should be noted that the Paragon/Renegade approach is supposed to be somewhat similar to Jade Empire's; Shepard is always going to be a hero, you're basically just choosing if you want Shepard to be a by-the-books diplomatic hero or a loose-cannon cop who doesn't play by the rules but gets results damnit. Unfortunately, most of the major choices sucked at that and did boil down to good or evil pretty quickly, and a lot of the Paragon choices were just materially better to take. The reporter might stand out because it's one of the few times (at least, that they were tracking and reporting) where Renegade actually is getting close to the stated mission statement of Renegade.
One of the phenomenal things about Mass Effect is how they tried to sell the Paragon/Renegade thing as 'Your Choices Will Matter' when, of course, they did not matter at all. I think it was HBomberguy's video that points out that choosing to allow the Council to die in the climax to Mass Effect 1 results in... a new council of the exact same alien makeup but wearing different clothes taking power in Mass Effect 3 but my absolute favorite Paragon/Renegade cheat was again from ME1 with the last Rachni Queen.

Everything that you're told as a player about the Rachni and that Shepard learns from talking to people through the game make it seem like the Rachni are literally the worst; the British Empire if they were also the xenomorphs from Aliens. So Shepard finds out that Evil (In This Game) Cerberus has somehow found, saved and spawned a Rachni hive and trapped the very very last Rachni Queen on a planet to use as a weapon against the non-human races. Shepard clears out the base and has the queen at her mercy and the queen says that all she wants is to live peacefully on a farm upstate somewhere with her babies. You can choose to let the Rachni go as the Paragon option or exterminate them as the Renegade.

When the game came out, basically everyone that I knew who was playing was shocked that my Shepard very easily chose to drown the queen in acid because she had no idea if the queen was lying and because having just fought through an entire hive of the things she knew firsthand how awful they could be as enemies. One of the things I heard repeatedly was 'well you're going to miss out on whatever cool scenes and events I'm going to get when the Rachni come back in the later games!'

So in Mass Effect 3 the Rachni do come back -- only it doesn't matter at all which choice the player made in Mass Effect 1; if you chose to destroy them then the evil space robots brought the Rachni back with dark science, cloning, secrets on the Reapers know. If you chose to spare the queen then they all just got corrupted by the evil space robots and either way you get to fight through another hive of Rachni.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
they really didn't know what they were doing considering no renegade punch option during mordin's performance scientist salarian

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I think Cumberbatch is a good actor, but for me my favorite role of his will always be Martin Crieff from Cabin Pressure.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edit: nevermind, small accounts that could probably go without extra attention right now

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Jun 26, 2022

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

they really didn't know what they were doing considering no renegade punch option during mordin's performance scientist salarian

You are a monster

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Neito posted:

I think Cumberbatch is a good actor, but for me my favorite role of his will always be Martin Crieff from Cabin Pressure.

Excellent choice.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Excellent choice.

Seven years after first hearing it, I'm still playing Yellow Car.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Bendydick Cummerbund

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Thank you both for these. I had the same thought yesterday.

"Yeah the Tie fighters go HoooHoooooooooooo. They need to be making breakfast!"

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Neito posted:

Seven years after first hearing it, I'm still playing Yellow Car.

My wife found a mouldy lemon in her shoe the other day, and the children admitted they had been playing The Travelling Lemon

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

One of the phenomenal things about Mass Effect is how they tried to sell the Paragon/Renegade thing as 'Your Choices Will Matter' when, of course, they did not matter at all. I think it was HBomberguy's video that points out that choosing to allow the Council to die in the climax to Mass Effect 1 results in... a new council of the exact same alien makeup but wearing different clothes taking power in Mass Effect 3 but my absolute favorite Paragon/Renegade cheat was again from ME1 with the last Rachni Queen.

Everything that you're told as a player about the Rachni and that Shepard learns from talking to people through the game make it seem like the Rachni are literally the worst; the British Empire if they were also the xenomorphs from Aliens. So Shepard finds out that Evil (In This Game) Cerberus has somehow found, saved and spawned a Rachni hive and trapped the very very last Rachni Queen on a planet to use as a weapon against the non-human races. Shepard clears out the base and has the queen at her mercy and the queen says that all she wants is to live peacefully on a farm upstate somewhere with her babies. You can choose to let the Rachni go as the Paragon option or exterminate them as the Renegade.

When the game came out, basically everyone that I knew who was playing was shocked that my Shepard very easily chose to drown the queen in acid because she had no idea if the queen was lying and because having just fought through an entire hive of the things she knew firsthand how awful they could be as enemies. One of the things I heard repeatedly was 'well you're going to miss out on whatever cool scenes and events I'm going to get when the Rachni come back in the later games!'

So in Mass Effect 3 the Rachni do come back -- only it doesn't matter at all which choice the player made in Mass Effect 1; if you chose to destroy them then the evil space robots brought the Rachni back with dark science, cloning, secrets on the Reapers know. If you chose to spare the queen then they all just got corrupted by the evil space robots and either way you get to fight through another hive of Rachni.

Renegade was supposed to be "making the hard choices that are necessary", while paragon was supposed to be "being the naive nice guy space hero." The trouble was that the writers never wanted to put you in a situation where you are punished for being a naive nice guy space hero, because that feels bad. And since there's no penalty for always being the naive nice guy, the hard choices are never actually necessary, so why would you ever make them?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a Lego model of this, with functioning tracks.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening!

Also the funny part of Shyamalan's name is that he willingly calls himself Night.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Neito posted:

I think Cumberbatch is a good actor, but for me my favorite role of his will always be the hostage negotiator in Four Lions.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Mister Speaker posted:

He was loving awesome at it. The plot gave up so little about the character's nature that when he finally had a chance to drop some dialogue, it was some real poo poo. The movie meandered from there and the ending kinda sucked but his performance as Khan was not at all why it suffered.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So what did the thread think of Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan in the latest Star Trek franchise?
His performance or everything else? His performance was fine. Everything else was dogshit.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Philippe posted:

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing is happening!

Also the funny part of Shyamalan's name is that he willingly calls himself Night.

It was apparently a nickname given to him by people who could not pronounce his given names, Manoj Nelliyatu.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nebrilos posted:

Renegade was supposed to be "making the hard choices that are necessary", while paragon was supposed to be "being the naive nice guy space hero." The trouble was that the writers never wanted to put you in a situation where you are punished for being a naive nice guy space hero, because that feels bad. And since there's no penalty for always being the naive nice guy, the hard choices are never actually necessary, so why would you ever make them?

And, contrariwise, they never want your Hard Man Making Hard Decisions' actions have repercussions, especially repercussions that would prevent you from having essentially the same adventures as the nice guy space hero.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

NorgLyle posted:

The only difference is that if you spared the queen in ME1 and then again in ME3 they add to your war asset score. Whereas if you killed the queen in 1 and then save the new queen in 3 they add to your war asset score... then turn traitor a few missions later and take out some of your other assets on the way out.

But this is only reflected in a couple of lines of text.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

He's known as Cumberland Sausagebatch in this house. Even tho' he's a good actor, still gonna take the piss out of his name.
Mind, his accent in Dr Strange - not good to my british ears.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/exilegrimm/status/1541061372133482499?s=21&t=EIzA50LxJ8IDEohRP-CP0g

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You shouldn't meme on Benedict Cumberbatch's name for the same reason that you shouldn't call things "[Thing] 2: Electric Boogaloo." The joke is played out.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

And, contrariwise, they never want your Hard Man Making Hard Decisions' actions have repercussions, especially repercussions that would prevent you from having essentially the same adventures as the nice guy space hero.

Funny how there are multiple renegade options that are literal genocides for the exact same reason the series antagonist are trying to genocide you. Renegade path is pretty much just white nationalist power fantasy 90% of the time. Mass effect somehow came up with morality choices that are more monstrously evil than most games with actual playable evil characters and still considers you to be the good guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1541102529483640832?s=20&t=pmUeBU9gl9ZuBzJE6SkhDw

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pththya-lyi posted:

You shouldn't meme on Benedict Cumberbatch's name for the same reason that you shouldn't call things "[Thing] 2: Electric Boogaloo." The joke is played out.

In this house we say I Can Haz Cheeseburger?
Benedict Cumberbatch is Mandelbrot Cattleranch
Doge is very yes much excite
All your base are belong to this home
In this house we baked you a cookie
But we eated it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

More people should watch the actual Electric Boogaloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsaA903oxvc

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SimonChris posted:

More people should watch the actual Electric Boogaloo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsaA903oxvc

agreed, it's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ93GNHBHsE

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Abortion through mass shootings? That's a novel concept.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/kimpossiblefact/status/1541059630079479808?t=OuX3FKOUlG0VP81L2840Fw&s=19

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Anti circumcision people are so weirdly obsessed with the idea. I'm absolutely thinking of the guy who made tons of edits to the Silent Hill wiki to talk about how the game was one long metaphor for the main character's circumcision.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I'm one of those weirdos you mention, that's not entirely comfortable with the... *checks notes* ...genital mutilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well good news there is a wiki that needs moderated