Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

To go with the steering wheel setup, I remembered that I have a TrackIR 4, but unfortunately head tracking isn't built into Snowrunner in any fashion. It looks like I can try some open source software and a regular webcam to facilitate mouse emulation, so that'll be my next project.

Does anyone here check in anywhere for co-op sessions? I played earlier this evening on the Switch and crossplay is now available, but I wasn't sure if I should make a post in this thread with the session ID in case others wanted to join in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Atomizer posted:

To go with the steering wheel setup, I remembered that I have a TrackIR 4, but unfortunately head tracking isn't built into Snowrunner in any fashion. It looks like I can try some open source software and a regular webcam to facilitate mouse emulation, so that'll be my next project.

Does anyone here check in anywhere for co-op sessions? I played earlier this evening on the Switch and crossplay is now available, but I wasn't sure if I should make a post in this thread with the session ID in case others wanted to join in.

I’d be down to play with anyone in this thread. I haven’t finished off even Michigan yet but playing with other people sounds cool

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh nice they finally finished all the crossplay, will definitely play with goons when I dive into it next. Co-op is a lot of fun and makes certain missions a lot less tedious

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I've had some great experiences with pubbies in co-op; a couple sessions ago, for example, I'd just tipped over with a semi-tractor in the eastern side of Smithville Dam when right after that two randos who'd joined came chugging along behind me and were able to upright me in the nick of time. A session after that, when I was finishing up the logging contracts in Michigan, one pubbie had hauled a load and became possessed*, which tore up the dirt roads around the mountain pass on Smithville Dam; it became almost impossible to traverse that path with long logs, but another pubbie winched me through.

*If you're not aware of this glitch, basically when in co-op, hauling logs apparently sometimes causes the physics engine to freak out and another player's truck will start spinning around like it's possessed by a demon, although presumably their POV is normal because this has happened twice now and the other players delivered their loads like nothing happened.

All that being said, this game would be so much better with an actual way to communicate; even in Mudrunner you could chat, and all you had to say were things like, "I'm stuck," "please help," "need fuel," "I'll scout, you unlock the garage," and so on and it was much easier to coordinate. So presumably we could use Discord; even if I'm playing on the Switch I can have another device next to me running Discord. Here's a 7-day link to the main goon co-op server, which you should probably have in general. I primarily hang out on our World of Tanks (and other stuff) server, where I have more control. If you join the latter you can say in the auth channel that you were sent there by me. I've already created a category, channels, and custom role in anticipation. :toot:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

you should bug discendo vox to make a snowrunner tag

i would but :effort:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

you should bug discendo vox to make a snowrunner tag

i would but :effort:

I thought about that but then I figured I could do it myself on the server I spend more time using. I will ask him to do Snowrunner tags/channels though, it can't hurt.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
vox went ahead and made a channel and tag on the multigoon discord anyhow lol

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, that's because I messaged him like I said I would right after making that post! :)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh well there you go lol

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
After the first few hours and some unrecoverable disasters, I've been successfully avoiding using the recover feature since it feels cheesy, but I'm finding myself in a situation I'm not sure I'll ever get out of. I flipped one truck downhill off a narrow path, and then flipped another completely upside down in between two trees while trying to rescue it. Then I flipped my P16 over into the water trying a different route and that thing is so heavy nothing seems to be able to even move it. Is there some kind of trick I might be overlooking or am I probably just going to need to recover these 3 stuck vehicles?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Feel free to use Recover. It's fine. Later the Pacific trucks get better engines, and you get other trucks that can pull anything like the DAN and Caterpillar and Azov 7, but there's no reason to play like it's hard mode when you're learning.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

K8.0 posted:

After the first few hours and some unrecoverable disasters, I've been successfully avoiding using the recover feature since it feels cheesy, but I'm finding myself in a situation I'm not sure I'll ever get out of. I flipped one truck downhill off a narrow path, and then flipped another completely upside down in between two trees while trying to rescue it. Then I flipped my P16 over into the water trying a different route and that thing is so heavy nothing seems to be able to even move it. Is there some kind of trick I might be overlooking or am I probably just going to need to recover these 3 stuck vehicles?

Do you have a truck that can equip the heavy crane? Big Boy recovery usually requires that if it's seriously bogged down. You'll unlock some trucks that can do it on their own soon enough but if it doesn't have big mud tires and a beefy engine it's not pulling a P16 out of the muck

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

All I have is the Michigan trucks and the Zikz 5368, and the F2070A and Western Star 4964 are the flipped downhill trucks. I tried putting a heavy crane on the C70 but it mostly just tosses itself around.

I have all the tires and stuff but the path is so narrow that a heavy truck can't fit down it and the uphill side is all rock, so there's really no way to turn and drive up it to pull the vehicles flipped downhill out.

I might be able to finagle the Twinsteer close enough to flip the P16 back since it's pretty heavy, but the spot the other two are in is so small that I think anything big enough to pick them uphill is too large to fit.

Cease to Hope posted:

Feel free to use Recover. It's fine. Later the Pacific trucks get better engines, and you get other trucks that can pull anything like the DAN and Caterpillar and Azov 7, but there's no reason to play like it's hard mode when you're learning.

Honestly successfully de-loving disasters is the most fun part of the game to me. Running the same log route 3 or 6 times is boring, but figuring out how to play truck tetris to extricate things is fun.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

K8.0 posted:

Honestly successfully de-loving disasters is the most fun part of the game to me. Running the same log route 3 or 6 times is boring, but figuring out how to play truck tetris to extricate things is fun.

Yep. Over time you'll learn when you want to recover vs when you don't. I like to go top speed right out of the garage and if I flip I recover, then get safer further away and tend to leave trucks all over and rescue them when I pass by later. Or simply grab all their gas then recover them. And one of my favorite things about twinsteers is no trailer debris after recovering

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
doo hoo hoo

https://i.imgur.com/Qc6Emgq.mp4

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Those little signs and the construction barriers are made of solid unobtainium that thirsts for truck parts.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you ever wanted to know how much truck it takes to deliver one pallet of oil barrels.

It's this much.

I probably spent 6 hours pulling all this poo poo out, holy gently caress. I am converted to the church of the Twinsteer, the only truck that didn't flip over.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
That road along the east side of Smithville Dam is training you to identify and manage the sorts of ruts that'll flip you right over. Plus, loader cranes make any sort of really technical driving more difficult.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I respect the decision not to use easy mode (a kolob or cat 745)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Generally you don't have those before Smithville.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
yeah, but they're intentionally avoiding the recovery option

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I am converted to the church of the Twinsteer, the only truck that didn't flip over.[/spoiler]

:yeshaha:

Just wait until you get its upgrades

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

That road along the east side of Smithville Dam is training you to identify and manage the sorts of ruts that'll flip you right over. Plus, loader cranes make any sort of really technical driving more difficult.

Oh no, it wasn't that road. It was the one at the loving bottom of that hill. For whatever reason I didn't think it would be possible to drive up the exposed stone straight after the rocky land bridge, so I went along the bottom and flipped into the trees.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Much crappier low effort screenshots but this is where the trucks were stuck

I only got the Western Star unstuck by backing the Twinsteer down the part of the hill you aren't supposed to drive on and flipping it uphill, similarly to what I did to the P16 just before this screenshot when it flipped for the second time on its way out :

The first place the P16 got stuck was in the water at the base of the hill, since I couldn't get it past these trucks I tried driving it along the shore and it flipped over on the first try. I love that you can see in the first screenshot where I eventually got it along the shore and then up to where it is there. Somehow the Zikz was able to right it, then it was able to free the F2070A, and then after failing to use the C70 and F2070A to right the P16 from where the Twinsteer is in the second picture, I finally threaded it backward through the trees and started the path to success. There were MANY flippings along the way, probably half the time I only had one non-stuck truck.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol man, gently caress that particular section of that road.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

K8.0 posted:

I only got the Western Star unstuck by backing the Twinsteer down the part of the hill you aren't supposed to drive on and flipping it uphill, similarly to what I did to the P16 just before this screenshot when it flipped for the second time on its way out :

A successful recovery is a successful recovery!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

K8.0 posted:

The first place the P16 got stuck was in the water at the base of the hill, since I couldn't get it past these trucks I tried driving it along the shore and it flipped over on the first try. I love that you can see in the first screenshot where I eventually got it along the shore and then up to where it is there. Somehow the Zikz was able to right it, then it was able to free the F2070A, and then after failing to use the C70 and F2070A to right the P16 from where the Twinsteer is in the second picture, I finally threaded it backward through the trees and started the path to success. There were MANY flippings along the way, probably half the time I only had one non-stuck truck.

Oh god that spot lol, that's where I learned about the reason why roof supplies aren't a no-brainer on the Scout 800

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

K8.0 posted:

i'm sorry, you pulled six trucks out of there without Recover??? :stare:

i salute your incredible patience! if you do end up getting any of the DLC maps that patience will serve real well in places like Lake Kovd and Urska River lol

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

C'mon you gutless scoundrels come play snowrunner tonight.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Boy if I could sit down for an entire uninterrupted hour over the course of this three day weekend I'd love to get my tires stuck but :shrug:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I found the secret squat upgrade.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So after not being able to play for like almost 2 weeks, I finally ended up with some time to resume my exploration of Alaska on the Switch. I invited goons on the Discord server but of course nobody joined :rolleyes: however quite a few helpful pubbies connected. I had a guy named "Grumpa" with me for a few hours (and with over 1.2k hours in-game I could tell he was at the "everything's unlocked, might as well do co-op to help other players" stage.) Even without any means of communication, he (and a couple others who were with us along the way) could basically read my mind and figure out what I was trying to do. As I explored each map, going for watchtowers, upgrades, and vehicles, he repaired/recovered a few trucks for me (the Cat and Derry) and hauled over a few trailers so I could sell them, while repairing a few bridges so we could traverse more easily. I was genuinely surprised he played with me so long, and even though I was at it for several hours I still have yet to enter Pedro Bay.

One weird thing though: as I was preparing to go from North Port to the garageless Mountain River, I put a couple of scouts on a truck with IIRC the ramped towing platform. I got two scouts (a Jeep and Khan) on there and packed (with chocks and everything) but I think this triggered the phantom truck bug; it threw some of those vehicles in the air with all of their suspension components splayed out, which I'd seen a couple times before but I thought that was linked to hauling logs only. I got everything re-configured for the convoy, but it caused one of the other guys' trucks to turn into the phantom (for lack of a better term) and of course that drops the framerate for as long as they're connected while tearing up the terrain everywhere it travels.

After we'd done the initial exploration of Mountain River, however, I couldn't get both scouts to pack on the truck again. The first one would pack fine, but the second one would be suspended in the air, and then fall down when I moved the truck forward and out from underneath it. Does anyone know why this happened? Again, same 3 vehicles involved, but the game would no longer let me pack 2 at once on the flat bed. I'm guessing that it might work again the next time I launch the game, but I can't figure out what broke it in the first place mid-gameplay.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, those kind of bugs, especially in MP, usually get ironed out by a reload or relaunch.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What's your discord name Atomizer?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

What's your discord name Atomizer?

Same as on here; I just @'ed you on the co-op goons server.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I posted my Imandra bomber route for Chet in discord but I might as well repost it here. Blue routes are the path going up while empty. Red routes are the path going down, with the cargo. Green are shared parts of the routes (and good places for support vehicles to repair and refuel.)

You'll probably need a separate crane truck to load, also.

Some of the spots are a big dicey with the wider cargos like the fuselage and engine wing, but if they hang up on an obstacle, you can often unpack the cargo, drive forward a little, then repack it, because the loose cargo has a different, smaller collision box than the packed cargo.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 27, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

...you could pack the plane parts?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 28, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Squiggle posted:

...you could pack the plane parts?

condolences

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I started over in PS5 and headed to Taymyr pretty early since I never got to it in my other playthrough. Explored that poo poo with the Khan! Which is slow but never tips. Driving the Russian trucks for the first time and I really like both Vorons.

Attempted a task to recover some bricks and my voron d with a crane kept flipping, repeatedly. I towed it to the bricks with my tayga and it still kept flipping behind me. Then it flipped into the pond the bricks were sitting in and nearly lost its engine. I had to lean it against the tayga to actually use the crane. Afterwards the road was torn to poo poo and the pond was shimmering with oil and both trucks were top to bottom black with mud. Total environmental devastation to get some rear end in a top hat his bricks that had no reason to be out there in the first place.

Anyway, Snowrunner is the most immersive game I’ve ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Ciaphas posted:

condolences

ultrachrist posted:

Anyway, Snowrunner is the most immersive game I’ve ever played.

Welcome.