Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nyyen posted:

They are fully resting on the rotors, front and rear.
Full face? How are you sighting the contact? This would be rare unless you're using those ball washers that come with BB7s -- maybe the caliper got tilted somehow, so it's top edge of one and bottom edge of the other. Would look full from the top.

quote:

Loosening the mounting bolts and grabbing some brake while re-tightening them hasn't helped sadly.

Ime, that doesn't help if your bolts are shifting the caliper in the last couple Nm to spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

kimbo305 posted:

Full face? How are you sighting the contact? This would be rare unless you're using those ball washers that come with BB7s -- maybe the caliper got tilted somehow, so it's top edge of one and bottom edge of the other. Would look full from the top.

Ime, that doesn't help if your bolts are shifting the caliper in the last couple Nm to spec.

The Hy/Rd has ver limited visibility of the pads because of the design. As near as I can see from below they are in contiuous contact front and rear, at least at the lower edge of the pads. Impossible to see elsewhere really. I can't detect any tilt in the calipers either.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I guess a question we haven't asked is: if you lift a wheel off the ground and spin it, how much braking force are the pads actually applying? If you go to move the wheel with your hand, is it sticking from the brakes?

If it's not seriously dragging I would just go for a couple rides and it'll wear itself down and you'll be fine.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

VelociBacon posted:

I guess a question we haven't asked is: if you lift a wheel off the ground and spin it, how much braking force are the pads actually applying? If you go to move the wheel with your hand, is it sticking from the brakes?

If it's not seriously dragging I would just go for a couple rides and it'll wear itself down and you'll be fine.

It will coast a bit. Wouldn't that possibly cook the pads though?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nyyen posted:

It will coast a bit. Wouldn't that possibly cook the pads though?

No

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Ok, I'll try running it around some and see if that does it.

Ok,, I was able to take them in at the shop where I got the pads and we confirmed the e-bike pads the sold me were a little thicker than the normal pads. They traded me for another normal set and that seemed to do it.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 26, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my artisanal stem got no business almost killing me

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TenementFunster posted:

my artisanal stem got no business almost killing me

Typical Thomson quality

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bicievino posted:

Typical Thomson quality
three-year warranty period for a reason, i suppose

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Coulda split your seatpost like a banana, too, for the classic Thomson Double

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

How did Thomson get such a solid reputation with such poor quality? I bought a seatpost clamp from them that was at least 3mm wider in diameter than advertised. A $5 no name one was within 0.1mm of spec.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was it printed with the size? Like it was 34.9 but labeled as 31.8?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

amenenema posted:

How did Thomson get such a solid reputation with such poor quality?
Because people let them get away with blaming their customers for not using a torque wrench.

Just ignore the fact that torque specs are for clean dry threads, but it would be stupid to leave most bike fasteners dry for any long period of time.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 9, 2022

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

CopperHound posted:

Just ignore the fact that torque specs are for clean dry threads,

:eek:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

amenenema posted:

How did Thomson get such a solid reputation with such poor quality? I bought a seatpost clamp from them that was at least 3mm wider in diameter than advertised. A $5 no name one was within 0.1mm of spec.

Made in USA pride ( :murica: ) going hand in hand with people refusing to believe that 3D-forged Taiwanese stems are better in every way.

The seatposts are distinctive looking at least and are featured in 99.999999% of radavist photo shoots

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Clark Nova posted:

Made in USA pride ( :murica: ) going hand in hand with people refusing to believe that 3D-forged Taiwanese stems are better in every way.

The seatposts are distinctive looking at least and are featured in 99.999999% of radavist photo shoots

I think this is spot on.
It's similar to how when Velocity rims moved from Australia to USA and the quality went completely to hell, they still managed to ride on that prior reputation for years and years.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I used to run a Thomson seatpost clamp and it was fine, but when I got a new one for some reason they replaced the bolt with a ridiculous little m3 or something.

Chucked it in and got a Salsa clamp instead (the poor man's Phil)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Does that say 2.8NM? Why is their torque spec so much lower than every other clamp I’ve encountered?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

Does that say 2.8NM? Why is their torque spec so much lower than every other clamp I’ve encountered?
So they can blame you for over-tightening it when you break it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CopperHound posted:

So they can blame you for over-tightening it when you break it.

:laugh:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

The only way 2.8Nm is holding my seatpost up is if it's loving welded into the frame

Maybe I should replace my Thomson seatpost with something forged, the real way to make a part...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Clark Nova posted:

word must be getting out about Thomson’s actual quality, because the guy who stole the rear derailleur, bottle cages, chain(?), and headset cap(?!) off my city bike didn’t even try to take the thomson seat post (probably because it has security torx heads)

also after spending 3 hours having to resize a new chain, run a new shifter cable, and adjust the replacement Force RD, i put shitload of red loctite on the derailleur screw. sure, i’ll never get it off ever again, but neither will anyone else.

the bottle cage screws for the King Cages i coated in spray-on bedliner got the same loctite treatment

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I’m looking for a little guidance on adjusting the suspension on my mountain ebike for the first time. The problem is it has generic components so I cant find directions for it. I’m not even sure if the front shocks are air or spring. I’m looking to make the suspension softer for offroad. Here are some pics:

So the rear suspension spring I figured out that twisting it adjusts the length, so I made it longer, to eliminate play it had (the rear wheel would drop a little when lifting the bike off the ground). Not sure if thats how I should have it. Is that the only adjustment on it?

But the front forks are probably more of a problem. I have to put as much weight on the wheel as I can to get the shocks to move less than an inch, and it doesnt retract much. I’d like the shocks to go down a lot more and come up the same. The right side adjustment I see just locks the fork so it doesnt move. The left side adjustment, with the plus and minus, seems to adjust how much weight is needed to move it. Im not sure. Not sure if you’re supposed to pump air into them. Not sure if they’re just starting to freeze up or if they’re just worn out. But there’s only about 700 miles on the bike.

I know they’re cheap parts so my expectations are low. But any tips will be appreciated.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

ChocNitty posted:

I’m looking for a little guidance on adjusting the suspension on my mountain ebike for the first time. The problem is it has generic components so I cant find directions for it. I’m not even sure if the front shocks are air or spring. I’m looking to make the suspension softer for offroad. Here are some pics:

[.

I know they’re cheap parts so my expectations are low. But any tips will be appreciated.

Those are both spring suspension. Turning the rear shock and turning the knob on the fork adjusts the preload on the springs, which is the closest you can get to changing how stiff they are without replacing the springs. It sounds like the rear shock was unscrewed to the point that the spring was loose, causing the slack that you noticed when you picked it up.

If you turn the knob on the fork in the "-" direction (should be counter clockwise, like you're unscrewing it) until it stops that will be as soft as you can get it without changing springs.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Saw this bike cleaning video from the Legion bike racing head mechanic https://youtu.be/C73heVMUI_I

Seems way off the mark in lots of ways vs. accepted knowledge, and seems especially far from the mark via what I’d expect for a “pro” cycling team.

- Putting degreaser all over your rear hub, BB & derailleur pulley wheels.

- Cleaning the chain with just a paintbrush with degreaser on it, vs. Immersion in the correct solvents off the bike.

- Using an oil based chain lube at all.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

wooger posted:

Saw this bike cleaning video from the Legion bike racing head mechanic https://youtu.be/C73heVMUI_I

Seems way off the mark in lots of ways vs. accepted knowledge, and seems especially far from the mark via what I’d expect for a “pro” cycling team.

- Cleaning the chain with just a paintbrush with degreaser on it, vs. Immersion in the correct solvents off the bike.

It's a tool to do a job, they seem to be maintaining it fine. With a tool you have to assume you're going to replace important parts or the whole tool regularly and you'll balance the time and resources you spend on maintenance against that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

Nice job getting bodied when you posted this to Reddit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Pro racing cleaning and mechanic work isn’t the same as regular persons. They’re constantly doing it and regreasing and lubing things and at least in mountain bike XC it’s not uncommon to completely degrease bearings in the bottom bracket for instance and relube with a light oil to lessen the friction. They don’t need that to last months or years, just one race before they tear it down and redo it all again

Basically pro mechanics aren’t really working within the same parameters as regular people

edit: to be clear, I should have watched the video and did not and it sounds like he's talking about regular 'ol bike washing, I was reacting to the idea that pro mechanics don't know how to wash bikes or follow "best practices" lol

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 12, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

That's a great vid and covers race bike prep in pretty good detail succinctly. I don't think I've seen a better presented video on the subject. Park Tool videos with Calvin might be the closest thing, but you'd have to sit through several videos to get this much insight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is there any fear the degreaser can creep into the sealed bearings and cause issues? I imagine those are serviced or swapped more regularly, but is that schedule part of why they can just hose down the degreased parts right next to bearings?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Dog Case posted:

Those are both spring suspension. Turning the rear shock and turning the knob on the fork adjusts the preload on the springs, which is the closest you can get to changing how stiff they are without replacing the springs. It sounds like the rear shock was unscrewed to the point that the spring was loose, causing the slack that you noticed when you picked it up.

If you turn the knob on the fork in the "-" direction (should be counter clockwise, like you're unscrewing it) until it stops that will be as soft as you can get it without changing springs.

Cool. Thanks for the help!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I have got a Sora 3503 triple, and a BB RS500 bracket, which doesn't come with spacers. Do I need spacers for a triple crank? There's a seal-side cover type spacer on my current working setup, which could be #6 on this diagram?:
http://www.sjscycles.com/Drawings/Shimano/Shimano_Sora_FC-3503_Tech_Doc.pdf

Without that cover, I see about 2, 2.5mm of loose spindle when I bottom out the preload cap.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I have got a Sora 3503 triple, and a BB RS500 bracket, which doesn't come with spacers. Do I need spacers for a triple crank? There's a seal-side cover type spacer on my current working setup, which could be #6 on this diagram?:

Without that cover, I see about 2, 2.5mm of loose spindle when I bottom out the preload cap.

I've done this once more than a year ago but I think Shimano has a special kit of spacers for road triple ht2 cranks and I think it's parts 5, 6 and 11 on that picture. The bb had just the normal spacers for the frame. I think I ended up using just part of the kit in the end because with all of them the lefthand crank would fit too loose. Would the end result be the same with just some spacers under the bb? :iiam: Probably.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Dealers manual says no normal spacers needed for road. I assume you’re on a 68mm bb shell? It does mention using a spacer on the NDS for triples though, but it doesn’t say what size it is. There is a Shimano 3mm spacer specific to triple crank sets, so maybe that’s what they’re calling for.

Page 15
https://si.shimano.com/#/en/DM/FC0002

Spacer

https://www.performancebike.com/shimano-hollowtech-ii-triple-crankset-arm-spacer-3mm-y1gf11000/p308518

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, 68mm shell. And my current (I think crunching) BBR60 bb without BB spacers fits with that cover spacer installed.

Havana Affair posted:

I think it's parts 5, 6 and 11 on that picture.

I have 5 on the DS, I think, but not the 11 spacer behind it. Well, I'll look again.
And on the NDS side, I don't have the 5.

quote:

I ended up using just part of the kit in the end because with all of them the lefthand crank would fit too loose
Maybe I'm headed this way, too. I don't remember how I installed this crank originally, but yeah, the triple FD shifted fine in the configuration I just pulled off.
Assuming the RS500 cups stick out the same amount, I should be able to achieve the same preload I had before, which felt ok. Though now I'm curious if maybe it was applying some extra wear to the bearings, given that I've gotten a creak in... 1000mi?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Assuming the RS500 cups stick out the same amount

Uh oh

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are they not the lowest tier road Hollowtech bb and thus the same width as other road cups?
I could probably caliper them on the frame to compare to BBR60, since they’re the older bigger spline format.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Spend my money for me:

State Bicycle Undefeated

Or

Skream Magnum22

Leaning towards the Skream just cause the paint on the SBC is so boring, but I've never heard of Skream before and the name is kinda cringe, as the kids say. Any knowledge on Skream as a company? Their stuff decent?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

Spend my money for me:

State Bicycle Undefeated

Or

Skream Magnum22

Leaning towards the Skream just cause the paint on the SBC is so boring, but I've never heard of Skream before and the name is kinda cringe, as the kids say. Any knowledge on Skream as a company? Their stuff decent?

Are you looking for a fixed gear for track or fixie crits or other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Oops, thought I posted this in the other thread where I posted about building a mid life crisis bike. Honestly I’m just gonna be riding it around the neighborhood when I get home from work maybe 20 to 30 minutes, no specific purpose.