Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

King Baby posted:

Gordon is the best part of Harley Quinn for me. I love how his big plan is just to drive around town with a “Come Back Batman!” Banner. Then he freaks out when he sees Batman sitting because “Batman never sits!” A throw back to that old meme from years ago…

I thought it was a bad WB/DC policy, not a meme

Then again it could easily be both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OnimaruXLR posted:

I thought it was a bad WB/DC policy, not a meme

Then again it could easily be both

It wasn't really a policy. It was a callback to when Paul Jenkins received an editorial comment writing New 52 asking him to rewrite a scene where Batman was sitting down on a roof next to an injured person, and the comment was something to the effect of "As everyone knows, Batman never sits." which is wrong on its face. It wasn't something that came down from on high as policy for DC, it was just an editor being a loving idiot.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Don't think anyone's mentioned it here yet, but we've finally got a John Stewart Green Lantern movie premiering at SDCC next month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW3AlcgUENE

As someone who always liked him and Hawkgirl in JL it's nice to see em working together again :)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teen Titans Go continues to be very weird with a recent episode that basically becomes the movie The Grey.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That sounds amazing. Does Robin tape broken shooters to his hands?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Due to a conflict over competing ice cream parlors Robin ends up freezing the world. Then wolves show up, Robin fights them by putting ice cream cones between his fingers and breaking them while the rest of the Titans are picked off one by one by the wolves.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

muscles like this! posted:

Due to a conflict over competing ice cream parlors Robin ends up freezing the world. Then wolves show up, Robin fights them by putting ice cream cones between his fingers and breaking them while the rest of the Titans are picked off one by one by the wolves.

Bless this show.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In this episode: A TITAN DIES

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also did an episode where the Titans try to make a cartoon where they talk about how much of the pipeline was down to complete chance. Also that even if you make something that is a success all that happens is that you make someone else a lot of money.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I haven't watched Batman Beyond (the show) in a long time. I haven't met anybody who disliked it in a while but the last person I did wasn't exactly wrong in their critique of the rogue gallery. I thought of this because, when you get down to it, the premise of Return of the Joker is pretty weak. Joke's dead but a magic gizmo lets his personality take over Tim Drake after god knows how many decades. The movie is a 10/10 in execution but if it wasn't, that premise would bury it 6 feet under.

And many of the best episodes in the actual show involve returning Batman villains like Ra's or Freeze.

So it's like, what cool bad guys did BB have? I remember Inque, Blight, and Curare. I remember the person I argued with just instantly dismissed Inque as a Clayface 2.0 due to their powersets. I don't think I'd agree with that but I'm still struggling to think of anybody who stood out like Batman's rogues.

Maybe Mad Stan but he wasn't a villain, he was a prophet.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 7, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote is not edit

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

So it's like, what cool bad guys did BB have? I remember Inque, Blight, and Curare. I remember the person I argued with just instantly dismissed Inque as a Clayface 2.0 due to their powersets. I don't think I'd agree with that but I'm still struggling to think of anybody who stood out like Batman's rogues.

Maybe Mad Stan but he wasn't a villain, he was a prophet.

Yeah Inque and Blight are the only two really standout villains imo. I remember Spellbinder because he made it into the intro, and Shriek for having the episode where he tries to convince Bruce he's going crazy, but that one I remember more for Bruce than Shriek (straight up had to Google the name typing this post)

Blight does have one of the all time great reaction gif/videos on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tzi4xvt9Q

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s definitely an outlier in Batman media in that Terry and Bruce are the most interesting characters and the most compelling part of the show. I think that’s a strength.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TwoPair posted:

Yeah Inque and Blight are the only two really standout villains imo. I remember Spellbinder because he made it into the intro, and Shriek for having the episode where he tries to convince Bruce he's going crazy, but that one I remember more for Bruce than Shriek (straight up had to Google the name typing this post)

Blight does have one of the all time great reaction gif/videos on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tzi4xvt9Q

Spellbinder was kind of just like Scarecrow but Scarecrow is cool so Spellbinder get by on that. I also quite liked Shriek, I thought his design was great.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shriek is definitely my favorite supervillain design, but other villains that always stand out to me are the prince of the dino-worshippers, the guy entombed in radioactive waste who controls golems made of dirt, the Fantastic Four, the weird sewer-dweller kid who commands giant man-eating rats, Mad Stan, the millionaire who attempted to digitize himself to be brought back to life in the future, and the nerd who gains power to control construction equipment and later telekinesis. There's definitely some that aren't very memorable like...steroid-abusing gym coach, but there's a lot of hits even if they seldom get a chance to make a second appearance.

One one-off probably less memorable villain is Armory, but I actually thought about him a lot in my rewatch of Danny Phantom, because he seems a lot like the inspiration for Valerie. A guy working a fancy security firm running on hard times and has to resort to using high-tech stuff to do crimes, but also his kid is at the high school with the main cast.

I also constantly think of Blight and his son, Paxton Powers, when real-life supervillain at large Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton comes up.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I really like Babel, the Shriek-centered episode where he gets the city to turn its opinion on Batman and all of Terry's allies (even Bruce) tells him to just not go to the final showdown and Terry just is like Batman wouldn't do that. In the end, he saves the day, and a firefighter tries to help him up and Terry is like nope

edit: realizing my favorite episodes deal with Terry questioning his abilities as Batman I also recommend "Lost Soul" and maybe "Mind Games"

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 7, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ten was a good villain, though I guess she technically wasn't really bad.

But I liked the relationship with her and Terry.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Shriek, Inque, the Royal Flush Gang. I think Shriek's underrated - Babel is a great episode and has some really creepy moments with Shriek and his crew.

Curare's almost cool but falls short of depth. Mad Stan is great but he's only actually the main villain in maybe one episode, and it's not very good - he's more setting texture than headliner. Big Time in the later seasons is moderately interesting but he's also super goofy. There are a lot of excellent one off villains, though - Ian Peek, the mud dad from Earthshaker, animal splicer cult guy, etc.

Then there are the really bad villains, like Kobra and the guy who definitely isn't Kraven the Hunter. That said, if you reduce a lot of Batman's rogues to two or three stories each, probably we wouldn't rate characters like Mr. Freeze or the Riddler particularly highly either. If you gave Curare ten episodes there would probably be a couple of all timers in there.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mad Stan is an extended cameo and reference to Henry Rollins role in the hit 1995 cyberpunk classic film Johnny Mnemonic, and that's really all it needs to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOovtZXYqj4

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Ten was a good villain, though I guess she technically wasn't really bad.

But I liked the relationship with her and Terry.

The original B:TAS had a ton of flings that never amounted to anything, but for Terry he had one steady girlfriend throughout the series, and he wasn't as slavishly dedicated to the general principle of being Batman, so it really meant something for him to risk throwing everything away for the sake of Ten. It's also a lot more real and relatable for her to just be a troubled kid from a bad family as opposed to like a glamorous wealthy burglar.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1541864792855412737?t=b0ScRphF8XQjHvHuQaA4jA&s=19

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The disparity of quality between the show and the advertising for it is truly amazing

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Sockser posted:

The disparity of quality between the show and the advertising for it is truly amazing

Honestly that’s not even a Harley Quinn problem but a general “Marketing for Comedy” Problem. You always want to choose the best moments in your promo, which out of context become the worst moments. I can think of one other comedy (Good Place) who’s early promos were just rough

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Tisk tisk. You guys talking about Beyond villains and don’t mention the ensemble beauty that is Bonk, Ghoul, Dee Dee, and Chucko.

True, I think they only show up like once in the show, proper, but their appearance in the JLU crossover was fantastic.

Do you know what killed the dinosaurs?
Uhhhh. No…sir.
Well, Chucko does! :twisted:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlternateNu posted:

Tisk tisk. You guys talking about Beyond villains and don’t mention the ensemble beauty that is Bonk, Ghoul, Dee Dee, and Chucko.

True, I think they only show up like once in the show, proper, but their appearance in the JLU crossover was fantastic.

Uhhhh. No…sir.

You forgot Woof the Hyena Splicer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Uhhhh. No…sir.

And the reveal at the end of ROTJ that the Dee Dees were Harley's grandkids was nice

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Green Lantern: Beware My Power leaks have apparently revealed that we're getting an Emerald Twilight adaptation

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey Marvel's still making that Moon Girl show huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO8YxaqvVlY

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Love this style.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550558398453878787

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550558532319191040

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550559472355086339

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550559711614885893

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550560220807659520

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1550561707264581632

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1550561714206150656

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What If Season 2 features a 1602 episode! Also Marvel Zombies is confirmed TV-MA. That's kinda shocking.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550563543266762754

https://twitter.com/rachmeetsworld/status/1550563501785026561

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1550565818278330369

lomzus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 22, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

loving hell.

https://twitter.com/Scarlet_Kahnum/status/1550566253743464450?s=20&t=mw_zG3ia93Sgn2PnqQ3Whw
We have failed this generation.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1550568056719437824

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel zombies is probably the first MCU thing I have no interest in watching

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that’s fair the Marvel Zonbie comics kind of suck already

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A bit odd that they're going with a sort of pseudo-mohawked Storm. But otherwise, I'm not sure I even fully believe the project is coming until they have some animation to show.

Also I'm really conscious these days about new incarnations of Spiderman that give Peter a bunch of friends and a whole social group to hang out with, since it definitely makes sense to create more interesting stories, and it's what so many teen heroes who have otherwise followed the Spiderman model have done, but back in his original comics, Peter Parker was a lonely antisocial nerd (and honestly? Kind of a jerk), and that informed a lot about how his character ended up shaping up.

Skwirl posted:

loving hell.

We have failed this generation.

I haven't really read all the 90s comics, but I get the impression that even in the comics Jubilee wasn't really as big of a character as she was in the cartoon. I think she didn't even get to be a proper member of the team, they shoved her into Generation X instead, and certainly in the later comics she got forgotten a lot more, writers feel the need to throw weird gimmicks into her character to make her work, like adopting a baby she found in the middle of nowhere or becoming a vampire.

The cartoon kinda gave her Kitty Pryde's role from the 80s comics as the young kid being brought into the mutant world and the token student for Professor X's "school", as opposed to her comic origin of being a mall-rat orphan-runaway who followed them home while they were hiding out in Australia and at the time unaffiliated with Xavier's Institute (I think Storm resented the fact that Magneto was running it at the time). And I guess at the end of the 90s comics went through a whole collapse where the industry collapsed from being in a bubble that popped, but also there was a big backlash by the audience to what the comics themselves had become at the times, so when the industry crawled out of the crash, it buried most of what happened in the 90s, while at the same time writers came into the comics who were kids in the 80s and brought back the sympathetic child-viewpoint character from back when they were reading 24 years earlier, Kitty Pryde. So she got put back on the team, got a cameo in the movies, and a big part in X-Men Evolution, and Jubilee got forgotten.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

A bit odd that they're going with a sort of pseudo-mohawked Storm. But otherwise, I'm not sure I even fully believe the project is coming until they have some animation to show.

Also I'm really conscious these days about new incarnations of Spiderman that give Peter a bunch of friends and a whole social group to hang out with, since it definitely makes sense to create more interesting stories, and it's what so many teen heroes who have otherwise followed the Spiderman model have done, but back in his original comics, Peter Parker was a lonely antisocial nerd (and honestly? Kind of a jerk), and that informed a lot about how his character ended up shaping up.

I haven't really read all the 90s comics, but I get the impression that even in the comics Jubilee wasn't really as big of a character as she was in the cartoon. I think she didn't even get to be a proper member of the team, they shoved her into Generation X instead, and certainly in the later comics she got forgotten a lot more, writers feel the need to throw weird gimmicks into her character to make her work, like adopting a baby she found in the middle of nowhere or becoming a vampire.

The cartoon kinda gave her Kitty Pryde's role from the 80s comics as the young kid being brought into the mutant world and the token student for Professor X's "school", as opposed to her comic origin of being a mall-rat orphan-runaway who followed them home while they were hiding out in Australia and at the time unaffiliated with Xavier's Institute (I think Storm resented the fact that Magneto was running it at the time). And I guess at the end of the 90s comics went through a whole collapse where the industry collapsed from being in a bubble that popped, but also there was a big backlash by the audience to what the comics themselves had become at the times, so when the industry crawled out of the crash, it buried most of what happened in the 90s, while at the same time writers came into the comics who were kids in the 80s and brought back the sympathetic child-viewpoint character from back when they were reading 24 years earlier, Kitty Pryde. So she got put back on the team, got a cameo in the movies, and a big part in X-Men Evolution, and Jubilee got forgotten.

To be fair the whole Vampire thing happened because Jubilee had been one of the characters that got depowered after House of M and then someone wanted to bring her back to the X books but they weren't allowed to give her back her mutant abilities so they just had her become a vampire instead cause for some reason the X-Men deal with Vampire stuff a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s fair the Marvel Zombie comics kind of suck already

The Ultimate FF arc that spawned them and the first mini were pretty good imo but let's be honest they definitely went a lot harder/were more hosed up than Disney's ever gonna make a show out of on its platform where some kid's definitely gonna run across and a parent will throw a fit.