Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Xun posted:

A guide was literally just posted lol

If that's directed at me, that's an unrelated setting.

What an awful start to a page. Here's something I just found out:
https://twitter.com/fisherfruity/status/1540683634213933058?t=lDtH_A4pvkaMfH2DpSvBoQ&s=19

Onean fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

KoB posted:

Pretty sure they are working on an MMO.

Yes, and that should scare the poo poo out of SE.

Pretty sure it does, actually, given their talk about huge graphical updates next xpac and a bunch of the server work they've already been implementing. Got a long way to go though.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Onean posted:

If that's directed at me, that's an unrelated setting.

What an awful start to a page. Here's something I just found out:
https://twitter.com/fisherfruity/status/1540683634213933058?t=lDtH_A4pvkaMfH2DpSvBoQ&s=19

Ah yeah, seems I misquoted the wrong post. It was another one linking to exact instructions on how to enable soft targeting on kb+m :v: I just find it funny that someone posts a guide and is immediately followed by a bunch of people saying it's impossible

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Riot can't write for poo poo so I don't think I'm worried about the riot MMO when it releases in 2030 or w/e stealing subs away.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Riot can't write for poo poo

Arcane says otherwise.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Khizan posted:

Arcane says otherwise.

They hired the writer for Toy Story 2 to come in and write the show.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Like Riot's MMO will absolutely be gigantic but the draw for most people to this game is it being Final Fantasy. People played XI despite other "better" mmos existing for 2 decades almost, it's not going to matter here either in a way that they probably care too much about.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Square does have one major plus.

None of their employees sexually harassed anyone.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The man called M posted:

Statistically speaking for the size of the company that's probably not true.

It's (as far as we know atm) not built into the company's structure like at Blizzard and Blizzard Jr. (Riot)

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

The man called M posted:

statements spoken moments before disaster

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Up until the point we learn the FF14 team uses sexual harassment as a team building exercise, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they've cleared that impressively low bar set by Blizzard.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They hired the writer for Toy Story 2 to come in and write the show.

It turns out you can in fact buy your way out of most problems with enough money. Which is one thing Riot has lots of.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Xun posted:

Ah yeah, seems I misquoted the wrong post. It was another one linking to exact instructions on how to enable soft targeting on kb+m :v: I just find it funny that someone posts a guide and is immediately followed by a bunch of people saying it's impossible

Ahhh. I missed the link in that post. Whoops!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Il Mheg is the prettiest zone in the game since like Heavensward and I'm going to be a little disappointed when I cut the loving sky open.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

1stGear posted:

Il Mheg is the prettiest zone in the game since like Heavensward and I'm going to be a little disappointed when I cut the loving sky open.

I was kinda disappointed that you couldn't like turn the glamour back on, like it is when you first arrive. It's such a cool effect.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Like Riot's MMO will absolutely be gigantic but the draw for most people to this game is it being Final Fantasy. People played XI despite other "better" mmos existing for 2 decades almost, it's not going to matter here either in a way that they probably care too much about.

This. I could not possibly give less of a poo poo about what Riot is making regardless of how good it is, I picked up FFXIV because I'm a Final Fantasy fan, and I bet you there's a significant portion of the playerbase that feels similarly. Saying that some better game is gonna come along and steal the FF fans away from FF feels like a huuuuge reach.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

1stGear posted:

Don't worry, that castle at night is one of the best sights you'll see

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Riot made a shittier version of Dota which was widely successful but it didn't really harm Dota's success, so I'm sure ffxiv will be able to keep doing ok when their mmo comes out.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Riot's MMO, unless a Wildstar-esque flop, will both drain subs from and coexist with FFXIV.

It may well kill WoW dead, however. And having said that I know I've kind of doomed it to a life expectancy of about 18 months.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Begemot posted:

I was kinda disappointed that you couldn't like turn the glamour back on, like it is when you first arrive. It's such a cool effect.

Does it come back if you turn on new game plus?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

MMOs are also tailor-made to fire up the sunk cost fallacy in your mind, they're designed specifically to psychologically stop you jumping ship on a whim. Look how long it's taken for the cracks to even appear in WoW.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Warmachine posted:

It turns out you can in fact buy your way out of most problems with enough money. Which is one thing Riot has lots of.
Tbh the writing of Arcane was serviceable to me, but it was overall just a great animated work and the writing allowed that to shine. In the gaming space, and particularly the MMO space, I dunno if bags of money can take the place of the kind of planning and foresight that allowed FFXIV's story to develop so well over time.

I'd point to The Old Republic to support my point but also I guess they bogged themselves down with the voice acting requirements, and Bioware writing was always gonna be garbage aside from a few moments.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Begemot posted:

You can with the power of third party tools! :science:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Speaking of, anyone have any tips on replacing the hippo cart wheel noise with the new beast tribe song? Anyway to make it always on when using the cart and not when the cart is just moving would be a bonus

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I doubt Riot’s MMO is going to result in a bunch of super invested FF fans dropping FFXIV and moving over, but it probably will for the more casual side of the audience. Whether they stay or not is the question. There’s plenty of people playing this game that don’t particularly care about the story and the fact that it’s Final Fantasy. They just want a well-made modern MMO to play that doesn’t take a year to update. Currently this game is number one in that regard but it doesn’t mean it always will be. FFXIV is by no means a perfect game and thinking the current player base is so devoted they’ll never stray, especially for a Riot MMO!? (lol ew), is a pretty unrealistic viewpoint.

I doubt YoshiP is that dumb though, so as long as the management is good I don’t think the game has anything to worry about in the long term even if the player base gets reduced some.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Also new world literally just came out and flopped immediately and they had way more money than Riot. Making a good MMO that anyone wants to play is harder than it sounds

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Riot has actually made successful games that people play, whereas Amazon’s game department is one trash fire after another. Amazon’s whole strategy really did seem to be to just spend a poo poo ton of money and not much else.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

New World was basically just a string of “…how do you even gently caress that up?”

Also, finally started an ARR relic, finished my first book. How did y’all not want to throttle the guy behind it?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Regalingualius posted:

New World was basically just a string of “…how do you even gently caress that up?”

Also, finally started an ARR relic, finished my first book. How did y’all not want to throttle the guy behind it?

Glams are worth playing the long game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
New World suffered a truly embarrassing series of bugs, rushed and bad design(it's a hardcore pvp mmo! .. no, wait, we need casual pve, bang it out in a few months!) and almost total lack of dev follow up, as well as flat out incompetent mistakes when they did try to fix things. I think Riot can dodge that much and nail gameplay.

But we're pretty far past the point where anyone is impressed by the MMO loop of "kill x monsters, click y interactables, fight monsters with aoe circles." We want more, even if it's just some polish or competency on all the window dressing. It's why FF14 is doing well and WoW finally started killing itself, though WoW also set its thumb on the scale with regards to the grinding.

Will Riot have a good setting people get engaged in? Prrrrobably, it'll be a cozy place to have at least a month or two of adventure in. Will they deliver anything lasting that people get attached to? Coin flip. Arcane was one good spot in a history of ignoring, butchering or fumbling League lore. Arcane was also an episodic TV format with a clearly defined season vs MMO plotlines that can be set up over years while also wanting to be self contained content patches.

Personally I also think a Riot MMO won't fail but will be a lot less engaging if it follows too many LoL design cues, namely the slavish devotion to releasing nearly identical Generically Noble Attractive Human With Vague Background And A Dash because they sell better. The League setting interests me because there's a weird and horrible nation of grimdark magicpunk assholes running around, psychotic furballs, slightly offbeat but traditional fantasy monsters and other stuff like pirate cartels and steampunk cities. League running away from that helps keep me from touching the MOBA, almost every new hero release reinforcing that. If the MMO follows suit.. well, if nothing else, No Yordles = No Buy from this nerd.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 26, 2022

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Vermain posted:

I don't think I'd ever transition to it, but I do think that an excellent quality of life feature for other PC players would be the ability to set mouseover controls to individual actions in some kind of separate options menu.

there is a dalamud plugin for that now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

while none of Riot's stuff is really for me they seem to be decently competent at making games and have a dedicated audience they've carved out so their MMO will probably be at least modestly successful.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I doubt Riot’s MMO is going to result in a bunch of super invested FF fans dropping FFXIV and moving over, but it probably will for the more casual side of the audience. Whether they stay or not is the question. There’s plenty of people playing this game that don’t particularly care about the story and the fact that it’s Final Fantasy. They just want a well-made modern MMO to play that doesn’t take a year to update. Currently this game is number one in that regard but it doesn’t mean it always will be. FFXIV is by no means a perfect game and thinking the current player base is so devoted they’ll never stray, especially for a Riot MMO!? (lol ew), is a pretty unrealistic viewpoint.

I doubt YoshiP is that dumb though, so as long as the management is good I don’t think the game has anything to worry about in the long term even if the player base gets reduced some.

I remember YoshiP saying at one point that they aren't operating with the expectation of that peak Endwalker player count being permanent, and it's inevitable that a portion of those new players will probably move on to other games.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Awesome! posted:

there is a dalamud plugin for that now

Yeah, “redirect” is the one you mean right? It’s great.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Riot has actually made successful games that people play, whereas Amazon’s game department is one trash fire after another. Amazon’s whole strategy really did seem to be to just spend a poo poo ton of money and not much else.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what they expected when they hired a team that had no experience in making an MMO, had leadership that didn't really play MMOs, and didn't even try to learn the lessons previous games had already left for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJ_k75f_GQ

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Are people scared that the upcoming Riot MMO is going to destroy XIV or something? Competition strengthens both games. It's not like XIV is having a golden age because there isn't a better game people could be playing. It has and will still stand on its own merits.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Glad we're at a point where every new mmo is breathlessly called the xiv killer

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cheetah7071 posted:

Glad we're at a point where every new mmo is breathlessly called the xiv killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7U1HIhxfA

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Nice