Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

BonHair posted:

Europe: houses have numbers ascending in one direction, if possible in the outward direction, don't skip numbers if you can help it, even numbers on one side, odd numbers on the other.

USA: whatever, just slap any old number anywhere.

Most - all, maybe? - places I’ve lived in the US do the even odd thing, but what the actual numbers are based on seems random. Sometimes based on the numbered streets/avenues they’re between, but that doesn’t seem to be a consistent rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ther'es defintely a system, evens on north side of road, odds on south, ascending to east I think, etc. But the actual numbers are... yeah no idea what's going on there

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BonHair posted:

Europe: houses have numbers ascending in one direction, if possible in the outward direction, don't skip numbers if you can help it, even numbers on one side, odd numbers on the other.

USA: whatever, just slap any old number anywhere.

Japan: house numbers go in chronological order based on when each building in that block was built

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

chglcu posted:

If you’re talking about the numbers, they don’t usually correspond to the number of houses. I’m at 7518 on my street, six doors down from 7414 which is the first house on the street.

Depending on the age of the town, addresses will follow a "grid" based on intersections rather than a line.

So if your address is 7515 then that means there's 75 intersections, and your neighbor 2 houses down is 7412 not because it's 303 houses away, but 1 intersection away and 3 units different.

Postal workers and extremely old retired firefighters can tell you exactly where in town you are by 75xx

New York has the best system because it's just a grid. South to North, west to east.

100 7th St is is vey far west and very far south. 4000 120th st is very east and very north.

No one in Boston knows where they're going. Postal workers sometimes get lost for weeks.

The Anime Liker has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Jun 26, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ther'es defintely a system, evens on north side of road, odds on south, ascending to east I think, etc. But the actual numbers are... yeah no idea what's going on there

There's usually a system, but sometimes it comes down to what the postmaster was smoking that day. I was just looking at a map, and there is a road with 4 houses on it and each address starts with 32XX and the house numbers go up by 4 even though the road can't expand in either direction and there is only room for 4 houses. But all the houses in the area have similar numbers regardless of what street they're on, so someone thought the whole area should have unique house numbers and left "room" for new roads.

...But then you get to a house my parents lived in decades ago that has the same house number as one two doors down on the same road. As in, there is a guy who has both his next-door neighbors with the same house number. Supposedly this is because one house is on the corner and even though the driveway faces one road, the front door faces the other road. This wasn't very helpful to the ambulance responding to the wrong house.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also had been operating under the assumption that america just does so much urban sprawl that roads just have thousands of houses on them.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

I also had been operating under the assumption that america just does so much urban sprawl that roads just have thousands of houses on them.

Pull up google maps and look at Houston, TX and try tell me America isn't a shithole devoid of God's love.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
If you live in Europe and change houses you have to bring your own floor

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

The Anime Liker posted:

Pull up google maps and look at Houston, TX and try tell me America isn't a shithole devoid of God's love.
You could also look at the past several years for America in general

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

bike tory posted:

Japan: house numbers go in chronological order based on when each building in that block was built

What the gently caress

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bike tory posted:

Aaaaaaaaaa

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgHn1pLmLz0

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What the gently caress

oh you got no clue. trying to find places back before GPS and phone maps...it was a literal nightmare. I had to have people draw me up very exact instructions and even then I'd end up asking people on the street to help me. They also do this weird city block number thing, and there's no street name signs in most places. It's confusing af.

that said some of the most fun I've had is being straight up lost in japan wandering.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I first read about the chōme system (which was very recently) I was like :aaaaa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_addressing_system

I have no idea how driving directions in Japan work

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have heard there's places, I think in South America, where they don't really use house numbers or street names at all.

When sending a letter you're supposed to write driving instructions on the envelope, like "from the McDonalds at the south road into town, take the 3rd left, 2nd right, then it's the 5th house past the gas station". They prob have some shorthand for that to make it fit.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That is absolutely a thing in the Philippines. My old boss sent something to his brother and had to reference a chicken coup in the address

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I can't remember if I already posted this but everytime I see this tweet I giggle

E: wrong thread sorry

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1540583310233313280?t=hd0NLUSsg_fWEV_B5rUQmA&s=19

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

George H.W. oval office posted:

That is absolutely a thing in the Philippines. My old boss sent something to his brother and had to reference a chicken coup in the address

How many men did the chickens execute?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

None, only reactionaries.

I remember in Syria, the houses had two numbers, one in Arab numerals and one in the other Arab numerals. Which, ok, cool, but the numbers weren't the same. Turns out the European style numbers were for the street (and presumably colonial), while the others were for the block.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I can't remember if I already posted this but everytime I see this tweet I giggle

E: wrong thread sorry

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1540583310233313280?t=hd0NLUSsg_fWEV_B5rUQmA&s=19

yeah this is PYF international house numbering schemes

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

If you live in Europe and change houses you have to bring your own floor

I think people in this thread skipped this because it seemed like a joke but the fact you have to literally install a new floor in Europe to move is so insane to me.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I lived in a village in the middle of the desert in Outer Mongolia. They don’t do a lot of house numbers because most people lived in gers/yurts which can just be packed up and moved. So mail works on a “hey I know that family name, their uncle lives in this area. Send it his way and he’ll tell us where they are”.

Several times I had friends from the US send me packages that literally said:

Yorkshire Pudding
Gobi Desert, Outer Mongolia

And they would show up eventually after one of the dudes at the central office would just call all the offices in the Gobi and be like “hey, is there a foreigner named “Yorkshire” in your area?” Until they found the right one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

And they would show up eventually after one of the dudes at the central office would just call all the offices in the Gobi and be like “hey, is there a foreigner named “Yorkshire” in your area?” Until they found the right one.

Well you have to admit that it’s an unusual name.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

I think people in this thread skipped this because it seemed like a joke but the fact you have to literally install a new floor in Europe to move is so insane to me.

It's not as insane as having to bring in your own toilet seat after going through all that. I have to move next month and I really don't look forward to lugging a porcelain throne on a tram in an unfamiliar city

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
In Turkey we have Franken-system, all house numbers go like "Odd number one side, even number other side" but due to terrible planning you have gates sites or straight up complexes so you have like lots of INFORMATION including post code which is only for area not specific address. Sometimes you neeed to add a landmark as well.

So it looks like this:

Goony McGooner

Ugly towers, entrance 4-B, flat 34 (floor 10) , opposite of Migros (always opposite of Migros), (postcode), (city), Turkey

It's so convoluted that it kinda works because it's pretty much giving exact directions.

I like the UK post code system but without a smartphone I have no idea to find somewhere based on code alone. Great system to give you an idea of where the location is tho.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Germany or France?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zil posted:

Germany or France?

France still has a shitton of nuclear. Germany had some kind of panic / death pact with the green party after Fukushima.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

we don't like talking about what it was like under the reign of pollo pot

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I once sent something to an English goon and the address was something like The Old Mill, neighborhood, town. I imagine the robust postal code helps.

hell, as recently as 20 years ago, a lot of US addresses were Box [street number], rural route [number], ZIP. might still be the case.

here a classic image macro about saving money

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zetsubou-san posted:

we don't like talking about what it was like under the reign of pollo pot

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

I have heard there's places, I think in South America, where they don't really use house numbers or street names at all.

When sending a letter you're supposed to write driving instructions on the envelope, like "from the McDonalds at the south road into town, take the 3rd left, 2nd right, then it's the 5th house past the gas station". They prob have some shorthand for that to make it fit.

Yes. I live in Costa Rica and it's like this. My official address is like, 150m east of such and such park, left hand side. It absolutely does not work for mail. For stuff like grocery deliveries they use GPS now. I moved here in 2012 (from the USA) and it was incomprehensible for me for a few years until stuff like uber and waze started getting wide adoption.

In fact it's often even worse than that, because they'll use landmarks that don't exist anymore or that changed names. I'm close to a building that was called A.I.D. like twenty years ago and people still go like "yeah go north from the A.I.D."

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Do countries with direction-based addressing have problems with junk mail? Seems like an awful lot of effort to send a Val-U-Pak of coupons to every goon who lives some number of trees past the second creek flowing in an easterly direction

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hellblazer187 posted:

In fact it's often even worse than that, because they'll use landmarks that don't exist anymore or that changed names. I'm close to a building that was called A.I.D. like twenty years ago and people still go like "yeah go north from the A.I.D."

AIDs were a bigger deal 20 years ago

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

csammis posted:

Do countries with direction-based addressing have problems with junk mail? Seems like an awful lot of effort to send a Val-U-Pak of coupons to every goon who lives some number of trees past the second creek flowing in an easterly direction

I get a lot of flyers for local restaurants shoved into my door but not that kind of stuff. In terms of actual correos de costa rica mail delivered to my actual house I think I've received one item in the ten years I've been here. I have a P.O. Box for anything even moderately important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Old meme format dropped