Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

a big part of the perception on that butt-glue problem is that when a butt joint fails we see the glue fail and when an edge joint fails we see the wood break, giving the perception that the edge joint is stronger. He measured this though and found that when other confounding factors (gaps, the wood soaking up the glue, etc) are accounted for, that the glue is equally strong in either case, so it's just that the wood is weaker along the grain for the edge joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Danhenge posted:

Some YouTuber did some tests that showed butt joints are plenty strong, it's more important to have sufficient glue surface with respect to potential leverage on the joints. So box joints will be better, but more as a consequence of increased glue surface for the same joint and the inability to leverage the joint apart in one direction.

On top of that, rabbet joints with plywood do usually have some long grain/long grain glue surface.

That being said, a box joint is way stronger, and making a strong joint has a lot more to do with long-grain wood crossing the joint than it does glue strength.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hypnolobster posted:

Needed a table for the dollhouse that my great grandfather made, so that the nieces and nephew could play with it. My dad was about to slap together some 2x4's with probably excessive amounts of drywall screws and I couldn't handle the thought.

So instead I slapped together a little table with arguably slightly weak joinery out of some maple and hickory, because it's what I had and didn't otherwise want to use for anything. Belt and suspenders'ed corner blocks on there to support the joint a little more.

I don't know why I put the mortises in the center of the leg, my brain was on autopilot and I was trying to get it done in under an hour.
What makes you feel like this would be weak joinery without the corner blocks? I've never felt I needed them on most mortise and tenoned tables. I guess a narrower tenon and wider shoulders might have a little more racking strength? Tenons closer to the outside edge could have been longer? Seems like it should be plenty strong and nice looking!

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

NomNomNom posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but 1/2" plywood is rarely actually 0.5 inches. Always test on a piece of scrap.

I did, didn't have any larger bits so just went with it. The dimension I'm talking about is "C" in this picture

This is a 1/2 inch rabbet bit, but the actual cut comes out to just shy of 7/16ths. Isnt a 1/2 bit supposed to cut a perfect 1/2 wide channel?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hot glue can fix this right

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Just grind a new edge and say it's, I dunno, traditional Swedish or something.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What makes you feel like this would be weak joinery without the corner blocks? I've never felt I needed them on most mortise and tenoned tables. I guess a narrower tenon and wider shoulders might have a little more racking strength? Tenons closer to the outside edge could have been longer? Seems like it should be plenty strong and nice looking!

In my head, what I should have done was leave that inner section connected at the top of the legs. I could have moved the rails further towards the outside to do that, or done a haunched tenon.

Honestly I don't think it's really an issue on a table that's only 22" tall, and I'm sure it'll outlast me without an issue. Still bothers me, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ColdPie posted:

Just grind a new edge and say it's, I dunno, traditional Swedish or something.

I'm going to do that and just keep using it as a riving wedge

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommonShore posted:

JB Weld will make it good as new!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CommonShore posted:

When you think about it what is mig welding but a kind of very hot glue

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CommonShore posted:

If it was an axe worth rescuing, you'd grind it off square and forge weld in another bit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommonShore posted:

You must find a peat bog and sacrifice it to the gods.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

His Divine Shadow posted:

If it was an axe worth rescuing, you'd grind it off square and forge weld in another bit.

Is it his grandfather’s?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It was an axe head that I got at a garage sale for a buck but I made the handle

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CommonShore posted:

a big part of the perception on that butt-glue problem is that when a butt joint fails we see the glue fail and when an edge joint fails we see the wood break, giving the perception that the edge joint is stronger. He measured this though and found that when other confounding factors (gaps, the wood soaking up the glue, etc) are accounted for, that the glue is equally strong in either case, so it's just that the wood is weaker along the grain for the edge joint.

Well, I was going to fix a failed butt joint today and it's good that I can just glue it closed and assume that it will hold. But I may run a couple of screws just in case.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Uthor posted:

Well, I was going to fix a failed butt joint today and it's good that I can just glue it closed and assume that it will hold. But I may run a couple of screws just in case.

Probably best if we just watch for ourselves. This is a cool series and a good channel btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7HxBa9WVis

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One of the main things that video highlights, if I recall correctly, is that butt joints out in the wild often have less surface area than edge joints. The tests done were all else being equal, i.e. same gluing surface area. That's not actually often the case in real life. You still have to be careful that the joint you're making/repairing has an appropriate amount of surface area for the amount of force it will experience.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the main things that video highlights, if I recall correctly, is that butt joints out in the wild often have less surface area than edge joints. The tests done were all else being equal, i.e. same gluing surface area. That's not actually often the case in real life. You still have to be careful that the joint you're making/repairing has an appropriate amount of surface area for the amount of force it will experience.

Yeah exactly. My takeaway from that video more than anything else was how much of a difference good joint geometry makes. Now when I design something I contemplate what kind of forces will act on the joint and from what direction, and I think of glue mostly as something that keeps the joint from opening up.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Got the spindles and crest fit up. Just gotta finish shaping them and cleanup the seat before glue up.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

On top of that, rabbet joints with plywood do usually have some long grain/long grain glue surface.

That being said, a box joint is way stronger, and making a strong joint has a lot more to do with long-grain wood crossing the joint than it does glue strength.

I thought he said he was practicing with plywood before he did it with natural wood. Which are two different deals. But I may have misread.

CommonShore posted:

The glue fail? The glue doesn't fail, it's the joint. Are you even reading what you typed? That Youtube guy sounds like a goon who's full of.....horse hoof glue.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ddiddles posted:

I did, didn't have any larger bits so just went with it. The dimension I'm talking about is "C" in this picture

This is a 1/2 inch rabbet bit, but the actual cut comes out to just shy of 7/16ths. Isnt a 1/2 bit supposed to cut a perfect 1/2 wide channel?

My guess is that the 1/2" is nominal and varies depending on the width of the guide (which is typically removable/replaceable). What's the exact size of dimension D?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Leperflesh posted:

My guess is that the 1/2" is nominal and varies depending on the width of the guide (which is typically removable/replaceable). What's the exact size of dimension D?

This is a really good point, a lot of rabbeting bits come with multiple bearings in different diameters.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Do you know how to get a pristine Stanley no 45 with 20+ cutters for a steep discount?

Get one without Stanley's name on it:

:woop:

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

Do you know how to get a pristine Stanley no 45 with 20+ cutters for a steep discount?

Get one without Stanley's name on it:

:woop:

I got a 45 and a pair of dynaco a25 speakers for $10 at a yard sale some years ago. The speakers work great, the 45 only has a 1/2 inch flat cutter.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

more falafel please posted:

This is a really good point, a lot of rabbeting bits come with multiple bearings in different diameters.

Yep, this might be it. I have a rabbetting bit and it came with bearings that allow me to cut something like 5 different widths as well as a flush cut bearing. They're pretty small gradations so it's possible that you just have the 7/16th bearing on there instead of the 1/2 bearing.

Also, were you riding the bearing when you made the cut or were you using the fence as well? It's possible that the fence was standing out a bit from the bearing so you got a cut but it was just a tad shy.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Done!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The chair is great but your shop is frankly :kiss:

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

Found this old thing at the salvage yard, and am working on turning it into a capable user.

Blade, chipbreaker and iron parts of the body show surface rust and built up gunk that'll come off and I'll likely strip and repaint the cast iron after I get everything cleaned up but I'm a little worried about the wood sole.

Some pretty big cracks in the wood here, and some googling suggests I can get them filled in and stabilized by mixing wood glue and sawdust, working it into the cracks and clamping it up but I'm wondering if there's a suggested order of operations to really ensure success.

Should I light sand to clean up the surface, glue and sawdust the cracks, clamp, plane the sole flat after the glue has dried and finish with boiled linseed oil and wax, or should I do those steps in a different order?

Looks great! I haven't read the Anarchist's Design Book yet, what was the reason behind 3 legs versus 4? Less work with baked in stability?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've seen corner chairs get away with three legs before but man you could not pay me enough to lean backwards on that thing

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, my first thought is that that chair looks amazing but I'd absolutely tip that thing over.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The_Hatt posted:

Some pretty big cracks in the wood here, and some googling suggests I can get them filled in and stabilized by mixing wood glue and sawdust, working it into the cracks and clamping it up but I'm wondering if there's a suggested order of operations to really ensure success.

Should I light sand to clean up the surface, glue and sawdust the cracks, clamp, plane the sole flat after the glue has dried and finish with boiled linseed oil and wax, or should I do those steps in a different order?

Looks great! I haven't read the Anarchist's Design Book yet, what was the reason behind 3 legs versus 4? Less work with baked in stability?

That's a nice looking transitional plane there!

Clean it up and sharpen it and if needed flatten it, but give it a try before you do anything to the sole. You may find the checks don't interfere at all.

You can totally wax the sole but don't put linseed oil or any other finish on the sole, just wax. You don't want a film finish that will get sticky, scrape off on the work pieces, etc. Sides & top is fine.

I think if you find the checks are catching on workpieces and you want to fill them, I'd worry about the typical sawdust & glue trick. My concern is that you'll have really hard spots that could leave marks on your work pieces. Maybe a pro-grade wood filler product?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Leperflesh posted:

it's just under 1 inch i think, I'll double check tomorrow, it was from a set that only has one bearing per bit. I got a 3/4 straight bit and used that with much better results, although this ryobi router fence is terrible.

Trying out my hand at miter joint boxes, getting closer to not needing a bunch of wood filler.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Finished my latest house project, an oak entryway door for the new entryway I built.

Initial design, was based on the old window that was in this direction of the original smaller entryway.

White Oak planks from north America, laid out in the rough pattern. Paid to have these planed for me.

Had a steel Smith craft a custom threshold, low profile, with a lip to keep out rain blown by icelandic weather. 3mm stainless.

Needs a wood core. Screwed this down then used construction adhesive to adhere the metal.

Got enough wood to make the frame also out of oak.

Adding a channel to the Stiles and rails

Making the posts for the glass grid.

Making the tenons

Mortised, used a drill press then cleaned with chisels.

Testing the fit.

We love it.

Creating the grid.

All slotted together.

Also mortised tenons.

Window part assembled for testing.

It fits too!!

Main door all assembled

I accidentally chamfered the frame before adding the grid so had to fix that.

Made my own dowels so they would be oak of same dryness.

Testing the trim fit, 48 sticks, also you can see the ramps on the bottom row for drainage. Each upper window has holes drilled to allow drainage to the frame below til any excess water can flow out of those.ramps under the trim. Icelandic Windows all have internal drainage for the horizontal precipitation. The panes sit on 3mm nylon spacers so there is air underneath the panes too.

Installing the frame.

Testing if it closes, crazy it does first time with only a tiny bit of adjustments needed.

Installing the rubber liner. This is the actual wind and vapor barrier between inside air and outside.

Finished door. It has three point mortised latch and three security hinges. 44mm thick white oak. Nobody's coming in the front. Finished with walrus oil (tung I think)

Here you can see the rain lib that guides any water that strikes the door and runs down to flow over the lip in the threshold rather than behind and inside. I routed a 3mm deep slot for it to sit in, because the previous door I made it was attached to the surface directly and it has separated in a few places letting water run behind, defeating it's purpose.

My wormlings approve.

Probably my most intense carpentry project so far on this house. Very pleased how smoothly it functions and solid it feels.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 27, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

poopinmymouth posted:

Probably my most intense carpentry project so far on this house. Very pleased how smoothly it functions and solid it feels.

That's loving awesome dude, great work.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Dude that's a door fit for a castle. Incredible work.

The chair has three legs exactly so you can't lean back. Schwarz theorizes they helped ward off drunks.

Its surprisingly stable to sit in.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Love that door. Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Nice door and trollkins.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Doublepost-- free ebook download, the one by Foley about decorative furniture looks the most readable and informative to me. ymmv

https://www.studyebooks.com/2022/06/decorativefurniture-foley-pdf.html

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

I just had a big maple cut down that had split at the base and was about to fall onto my neighbor’s driveway. Now that it’s down I see it’s all ambrosia.

Does anybody have tips for my first time air drying? I have a 14” band saw so I was thinking about building or buying a bandsaw mill jig. In the short term I was going to just chunk it into logs and get it into the shop out of the elements.

The trunk is 20” across, and the tree crew cut it into 4’ sections for me. I’ll still need to cut it smaller in the yard before I can get it inside. I don’t even know how I’m going to handle it, but I couldn’t stand seeing them haul off that huge amount of ambrosia maple. I’ll figure something out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Make sure there's no insects in there. You don't want to introduce wood-eating pests to your woodshop.

Otherwise, I don't really have any advice for you. I've manhandled short logs through my 14" bandsaw, which has a riser block attached to it, but I don't really recommend that approach, because it's very inconsistent. You can find plans for jigs that let you do some milling on a standard bandsaw, but I strongly suspect that your best bet is to buy or build a proper mill that attaches to the log, instead of trying to feed the log through a fixed saw.