Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

So like you turn in your gun to get a single use double jump or do you get unlimited double jumps

you can pick up multiple "gun" cards and discard them for one double jump each (I think you can hold up to 3 copies and two kinds of card which is fine given the short levels)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One double jump

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well finished Elec Head and then got all 20 of the things for the second ending

One thing, there's a hidden rocket head power up that siny needed for getting anything except for one pallete swap. It is very weird feels like you go out of bounds to get it, and doesn't count towards completion at all

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Neon White sounds incredibly sick but given that I'm trying to play Monster Hunter Rise and a bunch of other games right now I will have to miss its hot period. Terrible!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
How many card nay-sayers in this thread enjoyed the Battle Network series?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Card gaming begins and ends here:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jackhunter64 posted:

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 26, 2022

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Ya’ll acting like Pocket Card Jockey isn’t a masterpiece.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

jackhunter64 posted:

(for me at least :shobon: )

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I only did Lost Kingdoms which I thought was a neat concept but eventually got stuck at one point. And I did Bateman Kaitos, which I thought was amazing/beautiful but I actively disliked the battling with cards system and it made me also leave it unfinished.

I think I’ll try the Steamworld one if anything, it seems like a good intro into the genre for a doofus like myself and I love those games. I played a bit of Slay the Spire and I was not hooked or at least it failed to hook me for the 1.5 hours I tried it for.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AlternateNu posted:

no those are chips, it's completely different

The Postman
May 12, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well finished Elec Head and then got all 20 of the things for the second ending

One thing, there's a hidden rocket head power up that siny needed for getting anything except for one pallete swap. It is very weird feels like you go out of bounds to get it, and doesn't count towards completion at all

Yeah I didn't even realize that was a thing until I was watching a video to verify the hint screens we were talking about. I'm assuming that is the intended way to get the two ?? chips, but I just used the warp to complete them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AlternateNu posted:

I beat mmbnicbmomgwtfbbq 3, and while I liked the idea of Battle Chip Challenge, it really needed to be fleshed out more. Beat it and traded it within a week.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
SMB3 was a card game

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Ya’ll acting like Pocket Card Jockey isn’t a masterpiece.

I keep my DS charged solely for this. Please Nintendo Exec Lurker, bring it to Switch.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its on Cellph ones too isn't it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Postman posted:

Yeah I didn't even realize that was a thing until I was watching a video to verify the hint screens we were talking about. I'm assuming that is the intended way to get the two ?? chips, but I just used the warp to complete them.

For the second ?? chip I feel like the game is intentionally guiding you to warp because of where you have to leave the head to reach the chip.

So once I did that it was a natural leap to just do the same thing with the one right next to it in the pit

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bleck posted:

I don't think it's physically possible to have a description of a video game that involves the word 'card' that does not instantly teleport my body into the nearest bed.

Like yeah I could look up gameplay, and to be clear probably will, but "it's a platformer where your actions are limited resources represented by cards you collect" is, like, gently caress, I almost dozed off a little even typing that sardonically,

It’s a game where you move fast as gently caress and turn your guns into double jumps

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lol @ everything. Neon White is cool. Sorry you have narcolepsy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The flaw isn't disliking card games, it's whoever described the game as card-based to them in the first place. You pick up powerups that can be used for movement or killing things, and to complete the level you need to both reach the exit quickly and kill everything so you figure out the proper flow. Sometimes it's obvious: a pistol/doublejump in the middle of a long gap you have to cross. Sometimes being clever gets you there faster if you can pick off the enemies you skipped from a distance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Peeon Shite

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I remember getting that one DragonBallZ game for GBC back in the day and being very disappointed it was a card game

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I thought Neon White was a completely different type of game based on the descriptions I heard, and the screenshots. I'm glad it's actually a much better game than I assumed but it sounds like they've probably missed a fair few sales due to making the weapons represented by a card. Should have just had a cutout of the weapon with an icon of what it does overlaying it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think there is a serious overestimation going on of the size of the "faints like a lady in a 19th century stage play when they see a card in a user interface" gamer demographic

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I loving love cardgames, but I already have Monster Train and Slay the Spire on the go so I wasn't in the market for another. I am absolutely up for a speedrun FPS with clever abilities.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
metal gear acid 1 and 2 should be on the nintendo switch

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bug Squash posted:

I thought Neon White was a completely different type of game based on the descriptions I heard, and the screenshots. I'm glad it's actually a much better game than I assumed but it sounds like they've probably missed a fair few sales due to making the weapons represented by a card. Should have just had a cutout of the weapon with an icon of what it does overlaying it.

That's... what it is? Is this a gag?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think there is a serious overestimation going on of the size of the "faints like a lady in a 19th century stage play when they see a card in a user interface" gamer demographic

Yeah I'm disappointed at how dumb this thread is being about "cards!" loving goons man

Oh well back to tearing it up in neon white and uploading my sickest runs to social media

Bug Squash posted:

Should have just had a cutout of the weapon with an icon of what it does overlaying it.

E: yes lmao the "cards" are literally a picture of the weapon you have plus the text description of the ability movement you can do. Y'all are just being dumb on purpose now to piss me off!!! :argh:

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 26, 2022

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
pazaak and gwent were the only decent parts of their respective games. More games should be card games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Brb throwing my Android phone into the trash because my apps look like cards when I switch between them, and my brain instantly shuts down anytime it sees anything that remotely resembles a card

Don't even get me started with finances! Ugh why must they be so card based

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Chopping up and burning all my bank and identification cards and gonna build a round house by a stream to escape our crazed card based world

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I was a bit confused with the first trailer for Neon White came out, but I'm glad it's cool and people are enjoying it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Bruceski posted:

That's... what it is? Is this a gag?

It should be exactly that, except without the card. Just make the weapon bigger to fill the space. Problem solved.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The "problem" seems to exist, uh... outside the game

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bug Squash posted:

Problem solved.
What problem?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Except there's no problem to solve, and removing the text would give you less information until you straight up memorize all the icons. Imo I think their current solution is really elegant and goons are being weird as hell about it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They should be power crystals and not cards. Cards put me to sleep! Boooring!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think they should be different flavored lozenges

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Bloop posted:

The "problem" seems to exist, uh... outside the game

Exactly my point, it's a marketing issue. I dunno why people are so insistent that these icons have to have a rectangular border around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bug Squash posted:

Exactly my point, it's a marketing issue. I dunno why people are so insistent that these icons have to have a rectangular border around them.

those are called cards