Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The more of us who live, the more poo poo they burn to keep QoL up, the more everything else is eventually hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Undecided Moderate posted:

believing the Chinese have magic technology that will solve living in an oven is such racist horseshit

well they could nuke all the white people

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

gbs abortion thread, i saw it over multiple post and was smdh at engaging with how are u.

ty for bringing this to my attention, big fan of the guy's work

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

MightyBigMinus posted:

we could only be so lucky

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

no u?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pitska

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

MightyBigMinus posted:

Dear god, please give me super powers to launch nukes at all military bases world wide and intelligence agencies and their private business' branches like The Economist.
pretty plz ive been good this year I swear

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

i am not!

at least I don't think so, I'm only fluent in English.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im declaring thread bankruptcy and not reading what ever happened overnight.

Some of my normal RL friends started talking about the lake mead situation today.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shifty Nipples posted:

i am not!

at least I don't think so, I'm only fluent in English.

there are so many words in so many languages to describe you with i don't even know whjere to start, sin' keinosiemennäst'jä

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Irony.or.Death posted:

ty for bringing this to my attention, big fan of the guy's work

the thomas midgely jr. of concern trolling

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
spent a normal morning putting in like 24 more tomato plants, a bunch of broccoli, flowers and then tilling the gently caress out of part of a pasture I've never planted and putting in a ton of acorn squash

then I cut up some pressure-treated wood with no mask (oops!) and used it to mount an AC unit in our bedroom because that's increasingly a thing we need in loving Vermont

co2 go brrrrrrr

we never had AC growing up in a place that's typically about 4F warmer than where we live now. Also if we still lived in that place we'd prolly have even more AC, my parents still live there and they broke down and air conditioned a couple rooms this decade.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

silicone thrills posted:

Im declaring thread bankruptcy and not reading what ever happened overnight.

Some of my normal RL friends started talking about the lake mead situation today.

Good choice, it was a discussion about the proper levels of doomer about as fruitful as a California orchard a decade from now.

lollontee posted:

there are so many words in so many languages to describe you with i don't even know whjere to start, sin' keinosiemennäst'jä

I can and will teach Shifty words don't try me.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

MightyBigMinus posted:

Car Hater posted:

actually, China does have the power to force action on! They're one of maybe 9 countries that do.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Today I decided to pretend everything was fine. It was nice! I can really see the appeal.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

platzapS posted:

I was beaten bloody by the climate change thread. But I never hated them. I said "thank you for your data."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

platzapS posted:

I was beaten bloody by the climate change thread. But I never hated them. I said "thank you for your data."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MightyBigMinus posted:

:haibrower:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
How to Gently and Lovingly Criticize a Pipeline was pretty good, but honestly a little anemic given the title. Oh well

It's basically a long argument that we shouldn't discount direct action against climate infrastructure, and that it isn't too late to at least mitigate the damage being done to the planet. The most interesting part of the book is really when he asks why there hasn't been widespread violence on the part of the eco movement when the scope of the problem is much larger and more horrifying than other problems throughout history that spurned people toward violence, and he suggests the answer is a general death of revolutionary politics that occurred post ~2000

Interesting jumping off point for discussion at least. 4/5 stars

T-Paine has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Jun 26, 2022

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Zodium posted:

there actually were big brain posters like Hubbard and Morbus arguing that the uncertainty justified their absolute certainty in extinction though lol

:confused:

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Now don't get me wrong. The Russians will farm Siberia because they'll have no choice. It will be hideously expensive and per acre yields will be a fraction of what it is now. While some people will survive the country as its currently organized does not survive a halving or worse of its ability to produce food.

at least the non-perpetually frozen parts have trees that you can burn down first for fertilizer, although some problems with long-term and large-scale sustainability may be foreseen to occur

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

T-Paine posted:

It's basically a long argument that we shouldn't discount direct action against climate infrastructure, and that it isn't too late to at least mitigate the damage being done to the planet. The most interesting part of the book is really when he asks why there hasn't been widespread violence on the part of the eco movement when the scope of the problem is much larger and more horrifying than other problems throughout history that spurned people toward violence, and he suggests the answer is a general death of revolutionary politics that occurred post ~2000

goddamn now that's doomer, gently caress :negative:

excellent question/observation though, can't help but assume it's related to the rapid expansion of surveillance state via modern tech (e.g. widespread consumer adoption of both Apple's innovative Cop-in-a-Pocket iPhone as well as internet-of-poo poo unsecured Amazon Agent Alexas or Rings etc) allowing real-life panopticon effects, which uh... it's like the shittiest cyberpunk dystopia

also reminds me of Hypernormalisation's segment on the death of leftist action in the US during the 60s/70s that basically enabled such a generation to be raised with essentially no dissenting voice in most public spheres they'd be exposed to, almost as if there's a long-visioned entity willing to use violence starting [well forever but most recently for generational memory] with mccarthyite purging, silencing, and poisoning leftist discourse from the 40s onward, enabling that apathy/several decades of controlled messaging to a wide, credulous/racist population that hasn't had a serious competing internal narrative (i.e. from within their own nation) to combat unbridled capitalism for decades while coming off the nationalistic high of believing they just saved the world twice [while in fact being in large part responsible for the destruction wrought everywhere by US capital] after they just proved they were just only a little bit slower than everyone else by ending slavery internally [while enshrining it into the constitution under a new name]

like it's insane to think how nixon was probably the last president to use executive power to help the american people face a direct systemic threat in the form of capital poising to exploit ongoing crisis but this time at the expense of core dwellers rather than the faceless periphery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock#:~:text=Nixon%20issued%20Executive%20Order%2011615,controls%20since%20World%20War%20II.) but now the ability for everyone to cheer from the 90s on about how capitalism won and history is over really made people forget that sometimes it's good if the rich don't get to dictate everything, instead trusting media baron messaging that it's best not to have the president do anything that isn't imprisoning or bombing someone somewhere

anyway it's probably all unrelated and I'm sure biden just has better things to do than give a gently caress about some stupid bridges and dams and solar/desal plans and poo poo, just gotta keep voting him more time

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

poo poo right I forgot biden's busy dealing with roe v wade, my bad

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

brakeless posted:

at least the non-perpetually frozen parts have trees that you can burn down first for fertilizer, although some problems with long-term and large-scale sustainability may be foreseen to occur

You thinking of all those trees that are currently on fire?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lmao

sorry, I think I saw your post at the top of the page and brainsharted you into my post instead of Harold Fjord.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

goddamn now that's doomer, gently caress :negative:

excellent question/observation though, can't help but assume it's related to the rapid expansion of surveillance state via modern tech (e.g. widespread consumer adoption of both Apple's innovative Cop-in-a-Pocket iPhone as well as internet-of-poo poo unsecured Amazon Agent Alexas or Rings etc) allowing real-life panopticon effects, which uh... it's like the shittiest cyberpunk dystopia

also reminds me of Hypernormalisation's segment on the death of leftist action in the US during the 60s/70s that basically enabled such a generation to be raised with essentially no dissenting voice in most public spheres they'd be exposed to, almost as if there's a long-visioned entity willing to use violence starting [well forever but most recently for generational memory] with mccarthyite purging, silencing, and poisoning leftist discourse from the 40s onward, enabling that apathy/several decades of controlled messaging to a wide, credulous/racist population that hasn't had a serious competing internal narrative (i.e. from within their own nation) to combat unbridled capitalism for decades while coming off the nationalistic high of believing they just saved the world twice [while in fact being in large part responsible for the destruction wrought everywhere by US capital] after they just proved they were just only a little bit slower than everyone else by ending slavery internally [while enshrining it into the constitution under a new name]

like it's insane to think how nixon was probably the last president to use executive power to help the american people face a direct systemic threat in the form of capital poising to exploit ongoing crisis but this time at the expense of core dwellers rather than the faceless periphery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock#:~:text=Nixon%20issued%20Executive%20Order%2011615,controls%20since%20World%20War%20II.) but now the ability for everyone to cheer from the 90s on about how capitalism won and history is over really made people forget that sometimes it's good if the rich don't get to dictate everything, instead trusting media baron messaging that it's best not to have the president do anything that isn't imprisoning or bombing someone somewhere

anyway it's probably all unrelated and I'm sure biden just has better things to do than give a gently caress about some stupid bridges and dams and solar/desal plans and poo poo, just gotta keep voting him more time

It probably sounds conspiratorial to suggest that capital woke up to the climate crisis in the early 20th century (or late 19th) and has been silently preparing us for the inevitable transformation of civilization ever since by gutting and privatizing public education and politicizing knowledge itself, starting a culture war distraction to convince people to vote against their own interests, making sure enough of us have new toys and bad food to be good little placated consumers, extending the surveillance state and scaring people away from talking about killing capitalism and maybe saving the planet, infiltrating leftist groups and escalating protests to discredit them and justify the use of disproportionate force, militarizing and overempowering the police, unapologetically undertaking wars for resources under the flimsiest of pretexts which they openly did not care no one bought, extending the fascist military industrial complex in scope and timeframe to ensure the government will always be able to make the numbers go up while getting their industry friends paid off, exporting the externalities of capital to former colonies to make it less visible and only harmful to the Other (who is a savage anyway), letting pandemics rip to further weaken and destabilize the working class who suffer the most from them and will suffer the most from climate change, transforming the perpetual Cold War into the endless War on Terror which was always just as nebulous and unwinnable, making it unfashionable to criticize religious beliefs and therefore impossible to meaningfully publicly adhere to the science of loving evolution let alone climate change, making it unfashionable to criticize consumption habits at all because workers like their burgers and gas guzzlers and we wouldn't want to be bad communists now would we, and worst of all, allowing this doomer wrecker thread to exist on the somethingawful forums

but that's absolutely what happened

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

T-Paine posted:

It probably sounds conspiratorial to suggest that capital woke up to the climate crisis in the early 20th century (or late 19th) and has been silently preparing us for the inevitable transformation of civilization ever since by gutting and privatizing public education and politicizing knowledge itself, starting a culture war distraction to convince people to vote against their own interests, making sure enough of us have new toys and bad food to be good little placated consumers, extending the surveillance state and scaring people away from talking about killing capitalism and maybe saving the planet, infiltrating leftist groups and escalating protests to discredit them and justify the use of disproportionate force, militarizing and overempowering the police, unapologetically undertaking wars for resources under the flimsiest of pretexts which they openly did not care no one bought, extending the fascist military industrial complex in scope and timeframe to ensure the government will always be able to make the numbers go up while getting their industry friends paid off, exporting the externalities of capital to former colonies to make it less visible and only harmful to the Other (who is a savage anyway), letting pandemics rip to further weaken and destabilize the working class who suffer the most from them, transforming the perpetual Cold War into War on Terror which was always just as nebulous and unwinnable, making it unfashionable to criticize religious beliefs and therefore impossible to meaningfully adhere to the science of loving evolution let alone climate change, making it unfashionable to criticize consumption habits at all because workers like their burgers and gas guzzlers and we wouldn't want to be bad communists now would we, and worst of all, allowing this doomer wrecker thread to exist on the somethingawful forums

:nsa:

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Ssthalar posted:

You thinking of all those trees that are currently on fire?

See, already fertilized you big babies. We've got this.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I read a statistic that outside of human activity, natural wildfires only occur once every 1-5 years (globally) something to consider if you are too happy and need your brain to break in half

edit: this is outside of volcanic areas, those places are allowed (by God) to be on fire

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

smoobles posted:

I read a statistic that outside of human activity, natural wildfires only occur once every 1-5 years (globally) something to consider if you are too happy and need your brain to break in half

edit: this is outside of volcanic areas, those places are allowed (by God) to be on fire

Like, 1-5 per year across the entire world? That sounds like bullshit considering how often lightning starts fires. If there's more qualifiers to this statistic like "huge fuckoff fires that burn down entire towns" then yeah maybe

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

T-Paine posted:

the answer is a general death of revolutionary politics that occurred post ~2000

posted in the epstein thread but it fits here too

Mola Yam posted:

"babe, the rough creature is slouching towards bethlehem to be born"

"yeah no poo poo"

"should we do something??"

"lol you first lmao"

anonymous individual, ah, "direct action" is still a (risky) possibility. coordinated, collective revolutionary action? super dead.

it's like corporate regulatory capture, but for anonymity.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Part of the problem is that humans have spent about 100 years preventing fires. Before humans, you'd have a fire go through and burn up all the "kindling" and that would be that. Now there's over 100 years of extra poo poo to catch fire.

Wildfires were a big part of the ecology of certain regions of north America, there's even a few species of tree that require them as part of their reproductive process.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i wish a volcano would hurry up and explode near me or something. collapse sure is long and tedious

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

smoobles posted:

the western netizen just whines about it like a baby. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Türkiye actually does something about the problem:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/turkey-wildfire-under-control-after-4500-hectares-scorched-government-2022-06-25/ posted:

ISTANBUL, June 25 (Reuters) - Turkey will reconsider a 2004 decision to abolish capital punishment, the justice minister said on Saturday, after President Tayyip Erdogan raised the death penalty in connection with the cause of this week's wildfires.

Capital punishment was struck from the constitution in the early years of Erdogan's rule. But after a suspected deliberate blaze destroyed 4,500 hectares (11,119 acres) of Aegean coastal forest, Erdogan said tougher justice was needed.

Authorities have said that a suspect detained in connection with the fire has admitted to causing it. The blaze, in woodland near the resort of Marmaris, has been contained, authorities said on Saturday.

After visiting the scene on Friday, Erdogan said the punishment for burning forests should be "intimidating, and if that's a death sentence, it's a death sentence".

Speaking to reporters in the eastern town of Agri on Saturday, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said the president's comments "are instructions to us."

"We have started working on it as the ministry," Bozdag said, adding that the current punishment for starting wildfires was 10 years in prison, rising to a possible life sentence if part of organised crime.

The country's first big blaze of the summer began on Tuesday and conjured memories of last year's fires which ravaged 140,000 hectares of countryside, the worst on record.

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Thursday that the detained suspect had admitted to burning down the forest out of frustration due to family issues. read more

Local officials told Reuters in recent days that authorities lacked the necessary equipment and personnel for another summer of fires. read more

On Friday, Forestry Minister Vahit Kirisci said 88% of forest fires in Turkey were started by people.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

T-Paine posted:

How to Gently and Lovingly Criticize a Pipeline was pretty good, but honestly a little anemic given the title. Oh well

Interesting jumping off point for discussion at least. 4/5 stars

A better book is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittle_Power

Just dive right into chapters 9 and 10 if you want some quick light reading. You can find a pdf on libgen

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-Paine posted:

It probably sounds conspiratorial to suggest that capital woke up to the climate crisis in the early 20th century (or late 19th) and has been silently preparing us for the inevitable transformation of civilization ever since by gutting and privatizing public education and politicizing knowledge itself, starting a culture war distraction to convince people to vote against their own interests, making sure enough of us have new toys and bad food to be good little placated consumers, extending the surveillance state and scaring people away from talking about killing capitalism and maybe saving the planet, infiltrating leftist groups and escalating protests to discredit them and justify the use of disproportionate force, militarizing and overempowering the police, unapologetically undertaking wars for resources under the flimsiest of pretexts which they openly did not care no one bought, extending the fascist military industrial complex in scope and timeframe to ensure the government will always be able to make the numbers go up while getting their industry friends paid off, exporting the externalities of capital to former colonies to make it less visible and only harmful to the Other (who is a savage anyway), letting pandemics rip to further weaken and destabilize the working class who suffer the most from them and will suffer the most from climate change, transforming the perpetual Cold War into the endless War on Terror which was always just as nebulous and unwinnable, making it unfashionable to criticize religious beliefs and therefore impossible to meaningfully publicly adhere to the science of loving evolution let alone climate change, making it unfashionable to criticize consumption habits at all because workers like their burgers and gas guzzlers and we wouldn't want to be bad communists now would we, and worst of all, allowing this doomer wrecker thread to exist on the somethingawful forums

happy co2 clouds :nsacloud:

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
kill capitalism strangle capitalism murder capitalism crush capitalism slaughter capitalism annihilate capitalism deatomize capitalism corpse-ify capitalism ruinate capitalism capitalism no more capitalism never again die capitalism capitalism die

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
any. means. necessary.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1541217293190955008?s=20&t=DT-twJmqVd5Gt_sfbz95cg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I thought the last article said it still had years

man this exponential deterioration sure is a bummer