Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The woke mobs won't even let you starve Bengal any more :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PerilPastry posted:

It is good but one of the hosts - knowledgeable as he is - can't go five minutes without saying stuff like "Good thing the woke brigade wasn't around back then." or "They'd have canceled Churchill, Blitz or no Blitz!"

The other guy seems to hate Thatcher so maybe it balances out.

What does he think Churchill did about the Blitz?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Can't wait to hear the take that the 1945 election was cancel culture in action. I'd be disappointed if that take hasn't been done before.

"You call your deputy PM a would-be Gestapo creator ONE time and the woke mob will force you to lose the election!"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm really been appreciating the History of Persian podcast recently. I feel like the usual histories run with the greek narrative only and it's good to be able to draw fresh perspectives from the more obscure non Greek sources.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
My only issue with the History of Byzantium podcast is that the dude notes he really does root for the Byzantines a ton of the time, and you can tell that's the case with how he describes Normans, a lot of the happenings in the First Crusade, etc., as well as some of the episodes at the end of Heracles' reign. It's fine, and still comes out pretty well researched and all, but man. I think he admitted as such during one of the ... 9th century Q&A's? It's around when he complained that the Byzantines "wasted a century"(??) of opportunity.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rome is the good guys

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean describing the Norman’s in as negative a light as possible is objectively correct

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Lady Radia posted:

My only issue with the History of Byzantium podcast is that the dude notes he really does root for the Byzantines a ton of the time, and you can tell that's the case with how he describes Normans, a lot of the happenings in the First Crusade, etc., as well as some of the episodes at the end of Heracles' reign. It's fine, and still comes out pretty well researched and all, but man. I think he admitted as such during one of the ... 9th century Q&A's? It's around when he complained that the Byzantines "wasted a century"(??) of opportunity.

I definitely do get this pretty often when I'm reading narrative histories too, ending up rooting for whoever it is I'm reading about.

Then I have had it that I'll later read about the group that opposed them and and up rooting for them instead. I feel like it's just a natural human inclination, even if it is better to avoid.

e: semi-relatedly and I guess contradicting that, I've been listening to the History in the Bible podcast lately and good grief did that make me despise Joshua.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's very understandable to root for a side, it can even be necessary if you're making an entertainment piece that you wanna inject some emotion into. Although personally I always root against the Byzantines and Romans whenever there's a chance.

The Mexico season of the Revolutions podcast felt a bit like a soap opera, and I feel like you could make like an HBO series following the events and audiences would latch onto different characters like they do in soap operas. Other seasons had a similar thing of having a bunch of factions playing out as well, but the Mexican Revolution seemed like such a tight cast of characters despite having 3-5 factions bristling against each other.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah i still recommend the history of byzantium and such, i just don't love that vibe, especially considering how much white supremacists have embraced byzantine/deus vult bullshit. but robin owns so w/e

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's very understandable to root for a side, it can even be necessary if you're making an entertainment piece that you wanna inject some emotion into. Although personally I always root against the Byzantines and Romans whenever there's a chance.

The Mexico season of the Revolutions podcast felt a bit like a soap opera, and I feel like you could make like an HBO series following the events and audiences would latch onto different characters like they do in soap operas. Other seasons had a similar thing of having a bunch of factions playing out as well, but the Mexican Revolution seemed like such a tight cast of characters despite having 3-5 factions bristling against each other.

yeah the Mexico season definitely feels like it would be an incredible historical drama

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Lady Radia posted:

yeah the Mexico season definitely feels like it would be an incredible historical drama

The Mexican revolution is steeped in caudillismo where you tend to have factions following powerful individuals rather than ideologies, so loyalty is very personally held. It really lends itself to dramatic passions and politics. One of my favorite novels, La muerte de Artemio Cruz, is set in part during the revolution and makes an excellent companion to read while studying the subject.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 19, 2022

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Fall of Civilizations is back! Two hours on the Nabataeans, builders of Petra

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah if there is one thing White nationalists hate, it’s Vikings and their various offshoots

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah if there is one thing White nationalists hate, it’s Vikings and their various offshoots

Definitely get where you're coming from, but sounds like you just might not be familiar with modern white supremacists. Here's an alright-ish article to get started: https://www.salon.com/2021/03/08/why-white-supremacists-and-qanon-fans-are-obsessed-with-the-byzantine-empire_partner/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No I know that, I just dont particularly care. If your going to be that hyper sensitive then I’m more sad for you if anything

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it's not hyper sensitivity, I was just letting you know since your posts have been very uncomprehending. have a good day!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

webmeister posted:

Fall of Civilizations is back! Two hours on the Nabataeans, builders of Petra

It was pretty good imho.
I didn't realize how relatively equal the Nabataeans were which was a really neat factoid.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Anyone have a recommendation for a single episode or very short series that gives a good, lite overview of D-Day? I have a couple friends visiting Normandy who are not into mil-hist at all but would like an outline of events.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a single episode or very short series that gives a good, lite overview of D-Day? I have a couple friends visiting Normandy who are not into mil-hist at all but would like an outline of events.

Watch the longest day :D

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of any podcasts on Prohibition? I can't watch the Ken Burns documentary without :filez: because I'm not in the US.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

Does anyone know of any podcasts on Prohibition? I can't watch the Ken Burns documentary without :filez: because I'm not in the US.

Inward empire did two episodes about the pinkertons, that's the closest I can think of

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lady Radia posted:

Definitely get where you're coming from, but sounds like you just might not be familiar with modern white supremacists. Here's an alright-ish article to get started: https://www.salon.com/2021/03/08/why-white-supremacists-and-qanon-fans-are-obsessed-with-the-byzantine-empire_partner/

I'm sorry I just truly can't stop staring at this post. Even setting aside that this is literally just Salon going 'some morons on the internet said a thing' as if it's a massive movement, the start of this was being upset that a historical podcast was seen as 'rooting' for the Byzantines over the Normans? I'm not sure I'm a fan of the implications of the idea we should be somehow uneasy about pointing out the objectively correct side in that conflict because PepeFucker88 posted Deus Vult, especially when the implied alternative is being more nice to the famously violent zealot Normans who were the conquering force there! Just because PepeFucker is too dumb to know he'd be way more comfortable as a Norman doesn't mean 'I think this podcast about the Byzantines fighting off Norman invasion is a bit too pro Byzantines' is the way we need to go.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

End of an era, everyone. The final episode of Revolutions is up.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Samovar posted:

Yes now I can start listening to the final series! :getin:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'm happy Mr. Duncan is going to make a new era of podcasts eventually and that he clearly still likes it, since everyone of us clearly still enjoys listening to them.

The end of the last episode is the best summary of the cccp I've ever heard.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Fckin Charles, man

Doesn't he have audiobooks of his books in his narration? Maybe I'll get around to reading/listening to those

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

sexpig by night posted:

I'm sorry I just truly can't stop staring at this post. Even setting aside that this is literally just Salon going 'some morons on the internet said a thing' as if it's a massive movement, the start of this was being upset that a historical podcast was seen as 'rooting' for the Byzantines over the Normans? I'm not sure I'm a fan of the implications of the idea we should be somehow uneasy about pointing out the objectively correct side in that conflict because PepeFucker88 posted Deus Vult, especially when the implied alternative is being more nice to the famously violent zealot Normans who were the conquering force there! Just because PepeFucker is too dumb to know he'd be way more comfortable as a Norman doesn't mean 'I think this podcast about the Byzantines fighting off Norman invasion is a bit too pro Byzantines' is the way we need to go.

feeling not even a little uncomfortable when someone is talking about how he wishes the Byzantines conquered a bunch of Muslim areas 100 years earlier is a powerful emotional move, but you do you, buddy. sounds like some introspection is needed as to why this touched such a nerve

Samovar posted:

:smith: man. Man. What a final episode.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's a goodie. Now it's over and I'm sad. Really curious what his new chapter will be. Got absolutely no idea.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

knowing him so far i'd guess some historical figures he finds genuinely interesting and influential, maybe titled like "Great Them of History" or something

ok that started as a half joke but now i kinda want it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I got however many episodes in before I decided to Just Wait, so I appreciate someone telling me I can finally go back.

I'll always wish he'd handled the Cuban Revolution, but I guess it would always be that way about one of them.

The Inward Empire creator was a grad student and is just going to be very sporadic and or just stop one day, yeah?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Didn't he say he wanted to do something on the Crisis of the Third Century? Or was that Patrick Wyman?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Confusedslight posted:

It's a goodie. Now it's over and I'm sad. Really curious what his new chapter will be. Got absolutely no idea.

Whatever it is I'm looking forward to him being 200+ episodes into a 12 episode series.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

PittTheElder posted:

Didn't he say he wanted to do something on the Crisis of the Third Century? Or was that Patrick Wyman?

The next book is about Aurelian. Wyman's series after prehistory is on origins of Rome and China.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Inward Empire creator was a grad student and is just going to be very sporadic and or just stop one day, yeah?

From a blog post he wrote a while back, he took an unscheduled and indetermined lenght hiatus for mental self care right about when covid started. There will hopefully be more eventually someday, but no guarantees.

I have a personal connection to VN and it can't be repeated enough how those 5 episodes are the best of the best.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

feeling not even a little uncomfortable when someone is talking about how he wishes the Byzantines conquered a bunch of Muslim areas 100 years earlier is a powerful emotional move, but you do you, buddy. sounds like some introspection is needed as to why this touched such a nerve

:smith: man. Man. What a final episode.

Lol saying this in this thread and expecting no one to laugh at you is a power move

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I am going to keep mentioning the "history of US political parties" idea that Mike Duncan floated on Twitter a year or two ago until enough other people see it and also start repeating it.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Violet_Sky posted:

Check out the audiobook of Daniel Okrent's Last Call - that's the book that Burns basically adapted for the documentary.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone got recommendations for podcasts about all the crazy cultural, political, and religious stuff going on in the late 60's and the 70s?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Vinny Possum posted:

Anyone got recommendations for podcasts about all the crazy cultural, political, and religious stuff going on in the late 60's and the 70s?

Not a podcast, but Rick Perlstein’s 4 books on the rise of the modern conservative movement in audiobook form are great for this period. Primarily through the lens of the rise of Goldwater, Nixon and Reagan, but plenty of detail on the religious right, campus riots, etc.

Before the Storm
Nixonland
The Invisible Bridge
Reaganland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vinny Possum posted:

Know Your Enemy is a podcast that covers how the American right got to where it is now, with a lot of focus on the right-wing intellectual and religious movements from the 1950s on.