Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How come all the Sparta defenders are so verbose when the Spartans had a reputation for loving brevity and witticisms and have a big dialogue in Thucydides where they tell some guys "You talked for so long I forgot what your original point was, just tell us what you want, dweeb"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Parmenides posted:

When you say, "with this sort of perspective", are you asking how a helot would behave if it had such an opinion/perspective?
"It"? I believe the grammatical form you are reaching for would be "they," as the helot would be a human being, just like you and me.

Of course you may feel you are a more exalted form of being, in which case I would ask, on what grounds?

e: as for your Buddhism question, rebirth is enigmatic but can broadly be considered to be informed by the consequences of your actions in previous lives in various realms (not merely the immediately preceding one) as well as various other factors, such as the environment of where you are being reborn, the physical inheritance from your parents and so forth, and the factors of your development in the immediate sense (education, home life, etc.) In a certain sense, one may be "reborn" every morning, or indeed, every moment. Or perhaps, every :10bux:

Nessus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 26, 2022

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Why do reactionary assholes always think their ideas on the inferiority of other people are new? Yeah dude I've heard it before, you think some people are subhuman and desire to own them. I've heard it before, it's not novel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Carillon posted:

Why do reactionary assholes always think their ideas on the inferiority of other people are new? Yeah dude I've heard it before, you think some people are subhuman and desire to own them. I've heard it before, it's not novel.
"Human biodiversity? You know, there probably would be some genetic differences here and there, and that could in fact be a potential factor in some of the different outcomes for some diseases and cancer rates. That really would - Oh, it's just about how black people have lower IQs and shouldn't have welfare. Weird how they all seem to end up there."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I find slavery about as acceptable as murder for profit. Though I guess I’d be ok with murdering slave owners.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vercengetorix was the good guy though

:hmmyes:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vercengetorix was the good guy though

Eh, he had big ideas but he choked in the end

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

"Human biodiversity? You know, there probably would be some genetic differences here and there, and that could in fact be a potential factor in some of the different outcomes for some diseases and cancer rates. That really would - Oh, it's just about how black people have lower IQs and shouldn't have welfare. Weird how they all seem to end up there."

One of my favorite bits in 1493 is that Africans were genetically resistant to malaria, which is clearly "genetic superiority," and therefore were used as slaves because they didn't die as much as Irish or Scottish folk.

metalhead librarian
Jul 22, 2007
Rocking the shelves since 2005
Parmenides, do you understand (read, write and speak) Classical Greek? If so, would they be able to understand you? I can only imagine that what we know about Classical Greek may differ to what an ancient Greek would have spoke (what with variations based on region and tribe), so perhaps to them you would sound like a barbarian.

I suppose you could play the mystic, but if they don't understand you, you'd just be another person raving at nothing on the street.

You have grandiose ideas of what role you would play in ancient society, but if you do not know what you are doing, you wouldn't get anywhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That chart has a few things wrong. Nevada for instance tends to speak a combination of Katakana and Kanji

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i really can't decide whether HTML5 or lojban is the best joke on that map

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

ǃXóõ is a good one too.

Although I guess the "funny" part is that Khoisan languages are largely on the edge of going extinct, so deeply unlikely to be spoken in any numbers in the US. Also :smith:.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s Minnesota English

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When does Keldoclock return

at keld o'clock, obviously

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Silver2195 posted:

Remember what I said about archaeological evidence casting doubt on Spartan child-killing? Archaeological evidence tends to confirm Carthaganian child-killing.

I remember some fun conspiracy theories connecting that all the way to Epstein.

Also I'm torn between Whale and Silence, and disappointed there's no Klingon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A tennessean buys a refrigerator. I ask them why they need that poo poo when it's -40 outside. They respond "inside the fridge it's only -4, I can warm up!"

Chukchis!
Tennesseans!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

the yeti posted:

Parmenides nuts
Better than "Archimedes nuts".

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Although I guess the "funny" part is that Khoisan languages are largely on the edge of going extinct, so deeply unlikely to be spoken in any numbers in the US. Also :smith:.
This always makes me sad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Silver2195 posted:

Remember what I said about archaeological evidence casting doubt on Spartan child-killing? Archaeological evidence tends to confirm Carthaganian child-killing.

I thought the latest research suggested that the child remains were of children who died of natural causes, not due to inflicted sounds, and that the religious rituals alleged to be sacrifices were more likely to prepare the dead or dying children for burial.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 26, 2022

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I thought the latest research suggested that the child remains were of children who died of natural causes, not due to inflicted sounds, and that the religious rituals alleged to be sacrifices were more likely to prepare the dead or dying children for burial.

I was aware that people have made arguments along those lines, but was under the impression that most of those people were funded by the Tunisian government, lol.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Carillon posted:

Noting, of course, that the ancient world did not think specific groups of people were subhuman. Anyone could be enslaved. Get on the wrong side of politics and you're the one getting whipped whatever your skin colour.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Noting, of course, that the ancient world did not think specific groups of people were subhuman.

That's a truth with some qualifiers. It's true that they didn't rank people by the color of their skin but they still thought that specific groups were subhuman. Germanic tribes for example was considered, as a whole, primitive drunks and the romans hated the gauls so much that Caesar could commit what in our days would be considered genocide against them and be considered a great hero for it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

steinrokkan posted:

Other way. Latest research suggests the children were very deliberately killed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Antique writers didn’t have a developed, moralized, color-racial theory in the way that early modern and modern writers do, but they absolutely considered various groups of people to be subhuman—most significantly, of course, the lower classes and anyone from a sufficiently foreign social milieu—and being an unusual color could serve as a marker of that. Here’s a fun little story about an Aethiops monk, one of the desert fathers in Egypt:

quote:

It is said of Father Moses that, when he was invested with the long white priest’s robe upon his ordination as a member of the clergy, the Archbishop said to him, ‘See, Father Moses, you have become completely white.’ The old man replied, ‘Outwardly, Lord and Father. But am I also white inwardly?’ Wishing to test him, the Archbishop said to the other priests, ‘Whenever Father Moses comes into the sanctuary, drive him out and follow him in order to observe his reaction.’ The old man came in and they abused him and drove him out, saying, ‘Get out, Blackface!’ As he was going out he said to himself, ‘They have treated you properly, you sooty-skinned one, you black one! Since you are not human, why should you have entered the company of men?’

The story is of course hagiographical, supposed to illustrate Moses’ virtuous suffering and his conversion from a former slave and robber. But the story, particularly his internal monologue, rests on an evident association between aesthetic and moral blackness of the same sort which is at the root of early-modern and modern color racism, and it paints an ugly picture of the kind of experience off-color people could expect to get in antiquity.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That said, the boundaries were definitely drawn differently, given that this man could lead armies and be proclaimed emperor

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. Racism as we think of it didn't exist but people were still assholes and had plenty of ways to make in and outgroups. That just, unfortunately, seems to be a consistent part of human nature across the world and history.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cheetah7071 posted:

That said, the boundaries were definitely drawn differently, given that this man could lead armies and be proclaimed emperor

Romans did not consider Septimus Severus to be “black” because “black” for them didn’t describe some clear and significant racial category of everyone from an African people or darker than [insert extremely racist standard here]. It meant a person whose skin was so dark it looked black. Roman appellation for people of this somatic type was “aethiops” from Greek “burned face”, which is the level of analysis we’re working on here. Severus’ portrait there doesn’t represent him this way, nor is it intended to show him as an Aethiops (scroll down here for a few examples of how Roman artists might represent people of this type). Severus was the son of a Punic man and Italian noblewoman, which was far more notable to his contemporaries than his skin color. Note the lack of mention:

Historia Augusta posted:

In person he was large and handsome. His beard was long; his hair was grey and curly, his face was such as to inspire respect. His voice was clear, but retained an African accent even to his old age.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alhazred posted:

That's a truth with some qualifiers. It's true that they didn't rank people by the color of their skin but they still thought that specific groups were subhuman. Germanic tribes for example was considered, as a whole, primitive drunks and the romans hated the gauls so much that Caesar could commit what in our days would be considered genocide against them and be considered a great hero for it.

That's the thing, though. As a German, you could learn Latin/Greek, stop wearing trousers, shave and become 'civilised' and that would work just fine. That's something that just doesn't apply to black people in the 19th century US, for example.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

That's the thing, though. As a German, you could learn Latin/Greek, stop wearing trousers, shave and become 'civilised' and that would work just fine. That's something that just doesn't apply to black people in the 19th century US, for example.

I doubt it was that simple. People quipped that the senators Caesar inducted from cisalpine gaul--who had been Roman subjects for a very long time by that point--were taking off their trousers and putting on togas at the city gates

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmegin posted:

That's, again, a truth with some qualifiers. Stilicho for example was a brilliant general who was completely loyal to the idiot emperor Honorius. Yet he couldn't be completely trusted because he was part barbarian.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alhazred posted:

That's, again, a truth with some qualifiers. Stilicho for example was a brilliant general who was completely loyal to the idiot emperor Honorius. Yet he couldn't be completely trusted because he was part barbarian.

It also changed over time, Stilicho was well past when the Romans were (relatively) tolerant and accepting of new peoples.

It wasn't easy to cross the line but it was certainly possible and lots and lots of people did. Just because there are exceptions doesn't change the fact that it was entirely possible to become Roman and the majority of the population were those people. A Black person in America can't just choose to become white.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

late antiquity saw a serious rise in bigotry which was very unusual in the context of earlier roman attitudes. the only major figure i can think of that faced stilicho-like scorn for "barbarian origins" before that era is maximinus thrax - the historia augusta goes into great detail about what a huge, brutish, awful thracian he was - but that kind of strikes me as throwing every bit of scorn possible onto the guy who precipitated the Crisis, just one more excuse to think of him as one of the shittiest emperors ever by indulging in the greek stereotype of thracians.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Identities also layered, like a person would be both Roman and Egyptian with little obstacle. This shouldn't be that weird to us, I am American and white and male and east-coast and northerner and none of this is seen as contradictory unless you zoom out extremely far and get confused about why a northern white guy and a southern black woman have different notions about what America is and what problems it faces, or even just like east coast and west coast. I've definitely had my views miscast or dismissed on the basis of one or more of those identities, and that's just life.

So like it just shouldn't be weird that a Roman Greek guy has different priorities than a Spanish Roman, and that both of them are fully Roman but still have non-overlapping prejudices.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

I doubt it was that simple. People quipped that the senators Caesar inducted from cisalpine gaul--who had been Roman subjects for a very long time by that point--were taking off their trousers and putting on togas at the city gates

Sure, but on the other hand. Antonius Pius came from a Gallic family and ended up becoming emperor, which suggests to me, at least, that a lot of that was just a matter of assimilation, more than racism.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

How common were things like fairly long distance travel for non-upper class people in the Roman empire? It seems like it would be harder to have a system of prejudice which could be codified in law and, so to speak, folk tradition in the way we do in America (and similarly in other countries) if there is much less transmission of information from group to group.

There also seem to be tons of regional prejudices, though I am curious if there was a tradition in Rome to consider some particular long-held but distinctly not "the original capital or its immediate environs" portion of the Roman Empire to be the seat of "Real Romans," sustaining virtue and culture that was lost in Rome itself.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The ancient world didn't have racism, but they did have bigotry. The idea of immutable "races" would have been alien but hating foreigners for being weird and different was very much a thing. Boundaries between ethnic groups were pretty permeable, though, and even in myth, people could assimilate and change. The mythic founder of Thebes, Cadmus, was a Phoenecian for example.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It was reasonably common. The military of course was a way a lot of people did a lot of travel (not just men but their families/camp followers too), lots and lots of long distance trade, and there was a robust tourist infrastructure in many areas. Depending on what you're considering long distance of course. We know the major arena circuits in Italy scheduled games so they wouldn't conflict with each other because lots of people would see gladiator matches in Rome, then head down to Pompeii to watch games there too, then off to somewhere else. And then there was plenty of internal migration which is being confirmed by things like analyzing tooth enamel. It was at all unusual for someone to be born in Spain, move to Africa as an adult, move again to Illyria or wherever.

Most people didn't get around that much, but most people don't today either. Especially for premodern people Romans got around quite a bit.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
One piece of evidence for relatively common travel in the ancient world are the various traditions of guest-friendship or guest rights, too. Those probably wouldn't have developed or been as emphasized if travel was rare.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvbm84iN7qk

relevant video on the topic, pretty easy to extrapolate to Roman times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvbm84iN7qk

relevant video on the topic, pretty easy to extrapolate to Roman times

Oh yeah I like this guy. It is similar to Roman travel, the main difference would be it was easier in the empire given the better developed infrastructure and you weren't dealing with borders or anything. Plus the great geography, in a world where sea travel was approximately a billion times faster having a giant lake in the middle of your empire is incredibly useful.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 26, 2022