Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Wong allowed Westview to happen and the events of NWH to happen. My theory? I think Wong’s a skrull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Can skrulls do magic?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Can skrulls do magic?

Magic seems to be a skill anyone can learn, rather than something innate, so there's no reason why not.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

well why not posted:

Black Panther finale is one of the shittiest things I’ve ever seen in a tent pole movie

It's literally worse Phantom Menace finale.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Everyone's mad at Wong for not being a micromanager.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Man of Steel Superman discourse, but for Wong.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sebmojo posted:

I just watched ragnarok and Infinity war again and drat i love this marvel poo poo, it's just a good time

I'm clicking probe but nothing's happening!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I wonder how Wong feels about his path to being the Sorcerer Supreme. He was put in charge of the library under the Ancient One while other wizards ran their own sanctuary. Then, one day, they're all dead at the hands of Kaecilius. So when the Ancient One and Dr. Strange die/get snapped, he's suddenly in charge. Had he aspired to the position? Did he resent the people who had risen to power over him? Was he grateful that they carried that burden? How do the deaths that led him to power sit with him?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

LesterGroans posted:

It's literally worse Phantom Menace finale.

so are the climaxes of many films, that's hardly a mark against it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Roth posted:

I'm clicking probe but nothing's happening!

:agesilaus:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

live with fruit posted:

Everyone's mad at Wong for not being a micromanager.

Since Wandavision (first media post-Endgame when he was made Sorcerer Supreme) he has let several multiversal threats loose, let Wanda magically colonize a town, did nothing to stop an Evil Dragon from breaching into the world, let a bunch of Egyptian Gods gently caress with the night sky and fight through Giza, and, most frustratingly, let a student sacrifice herself to protect knowledge he IMMEDIATELY gave up.

You know what he did do? Run a sports betting racket in Madripoor with Abomination.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Since Wandavision (first media post-Endgame when he was made Sorcerer Supreme) he has let several multiversal threats loose, let Wanda magically colonize a town, did nothing to stop an Evil Dragon from breaching into the world, let a bunch of Egyptian Gods gently caress with the night sky and fight through Giza, and, most frustratingly, let a student sacrifice herself to protect knowledge he IMMEDIATELY gave up.

You know what he did do? Run a sports betting racket in Madripoor with Abomination.

Does the Sorcerer Supreme have dominion over gods? If so, does that make him Black Panther's ultimate boss?

And besides the dragon, which didn't happen on Earth, the rest happened under Strange's watch and Wong inherited Strange. The real issue is the Ancient One and her dark dimension-riddled brain giving Strange so much responsibility.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
jfc how many of these movies have come out in just the past year

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

live with fruit posted:

Does the Sorcerer Supreme have dominion over gods? If so, does that make him Black Panther's ultimate boss?

And besides the dragon, which didn't happen on Earth, the rest happened under Strange's watch and Wong inherited Strange. The real issue is the Ancient One and her dark dimension-riddled brain giving Strange so much responsibility.

My post was mostly a joke just cuz I think it’s funny that Wong would rather make a buck with a back alley fight club rather than handle the very legitimate threats that keep cropping up. But also, everything I just said is post-Endgame, and we know Wong inherited the position when Strange got snapped, so it was all his jurisdiction.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dr. Strange was never the Sorcerer Supreme. He was a candidate and he was the protector for the Sanctum Sanctorum, but after the Ancient One died, the position was left open and when Strange got snapped away, Wong got the title.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

2house2fly posted:

jfc how many of these movies have come out in just the past year

1 this year and 3 last year, theatrically.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wandavision and Loki were series, dunno if that counts

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sandwolf posted:

Otoh, his actions reintroduced Abomination into the MCU. I loving love Abomination, so Wong is A-OK in my book.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Magic seems to be a skill anyone can learn, rather than something innate, so there's no reason why not.

At the end of GotG2 there was a gleep-glop who was doing Strange’s magic circle hand things.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Seldom Posts posted:

In the stoned/hat taxonomy of Marvel films, Shang Chi should have been more hat and less stoned.

I don't know what this means but I am intrigued.

well why not posted:

Black Panther finale is one of the shittiest things I’ve ever seen in a tent pole movie

This really cannot be said enough. It was contorted into that shape that MCU climaxes usually do. You know the kind that makes sure everyone has something to do, no matter how much it damages the energy and momentum of the overall film. Plus, the individual elements are just kind of poo poo. A hyper advanced empire just clashes with shields and spears...just baby poo poo.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 27, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. "This incredibly advanced society is so advanced it has gone back to melee weapons" is common enough a trait it doesn't really stand out. It feels weird to criticize it for that when like every reasonably advanced society we know of in the MCU still uses knives/swords/hammers/etc. Melee weapons are cool. Black Panther not using them in a cool enough way doesn't really change that fact.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't know what this means but I am intrigued.

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1413687517291991040?t=DzJR2gx1FQm5vII9qRhAew&s=19

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

This really cannot be said enough. It was contorted into that shape that MCU climaxes usually do. You know the kind that makes sure everyone has something to do, no matter how much it damages the energy and momentum of the overall film. Plus, the individual elements are just kind of poo poo. A hyper advanced empire just clashes with shields and spears...just baby poo poo.

I've posted as much before, but it's really weird that wakanda's capital has dirt roads, and they fight on rhinos. Our current, not-fantastical techno cities don't have dirt roads. I doubt there's a dirt road within an hour of Seoul. Alice Springs doesn't have dirt roads...

As for the rhinos, they have VTOL planes and stuff, but still subject animals to the cruelty of war. Could they not get a jeep?

Black Panther needed another six months in the oven, and that's without mentioning the choice of casting a very sympathetic British actor as a friendly CIA agent who influences regime change in Africa.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The US police and military both use dogs in active combat/policing. Police still use horses for crowd control during riots. Animals aren't safe from the MIC in real life and if the police could train rhinos and encase them in bullet proof force fields as they charge protesting crowds you'd see rhino squads on every street tomorrow.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hold 'fictional utopia' to higher standards than 'current hellzone' personally.

Wakanda having a stable of disposable rhinos but refusing to provide them to breeding programs outside of their borders is a very funny implication.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. "This incredibly advanced society is so advanced it has gone back to melee weapons" is common enough a trait it doesn't really stand out.

May your blade chip and shatter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

May your blade chip and shatter

Yeah, Dune has knives being more important than guns to the point someone deciding to use a gun is shocking and unexpected.
Star Wars has fuggin' lightsabers.
Star Trek has phasers but you better believe that Worf is bringing his big battleaxe with him to fight cyborgs.
Fuckin' Halo has laser swords. Mass Effect has swords. Anything remotely inspired by anime probably has some fuckin' space katana.
Wonder Woman is from a technologically advanced island of Amazons and she still pulls a sword and shield out. Aquaman has a trident.

There's a lot of criticisms to be made about Black Panther but it is a comic book movie and comic books are by their nature going to go for big spectacular brawls. If you're expecting plausible realism from comic books instead of a focus on something that 'feels' correct then you're looking at the wrong movies/shows/whatever.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’ll forgive basically any specious reason for putting more hand to hand fighting in movies instead of gunplay but the finale of black Panther sucks so bad a shootout would have been better.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Everyone dings Shang-Chi (not undeservingly) for going 'big spectacular' for it's last act battle but I'd rather watch that any time over Black Panther's finale.

Melee fighting with shields and spears isn't a problem, it's that what they did with it was just so poorly done and uninteresting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ll forgive basically any specious reason for putting more hand to hand fighting in movies instead of gunplay but the finale of black Panther sucks so bad a shootout would have been better.

Generally speaking like a lot of movies the quality would go up 1000x if the action had some combination of being rated R or/and having good action choreography. Because otherwise it may as well have been like half as long. Like as soon as you see the two armies lining up and and T'Challa/Killmonger ending up in a different location you already know how it's going to play out.

Shang-Chi was cool, I didn't mind the big spectacle because stuff because it had enough other good stuff going on in it so it was forgivable.

Same with Multiverse of Madness, the entire part where Wanda is laying siege to Kamar-Taj and Wong has to individually yell out everything they can do, and all this powerful center for magical learning has is magical bow and arrows and some cannons, that whole part of the movie sucked rear end. But everything else about it ruled so I can forgive it. I kind of respect they got the obligatory terrible MCU final battle stuff out of the way in the first act.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 27, 2022

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think it's bullshit that Kamar Taj has no built in magical defences.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I think the Black Panther climax got a better reception than it deserves because Killmonger's death is one of the stronger scenes in the movie.

The spears, rhinos and dirt roads get to one of the paradoxes of afrofuturism, right? How do you come up with a pulpy science-fiction take on "Africa" as an idea without recycling pulp tropes about primitive savages? You can if you do your research on what its countries are actually like, but Black Panther is such a thoroughly Western fantasy of what "Africa" is like that there was no chance of that happening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. "This incredibly advanced society is so advanced it has gone back to melee weapons" is common enough a trait it doesn't really stand out. It feels weird to criticize it for that when like every reasonably advanced society we know of in the MCU still uses knives/swords/hammers/etc. Melee weapons are cool. Black Panther not using them in a cool enough way doesn't really change that fact.

As pointed out, Wakanda has extremely sophisticated jet aircraft that can be operated remotely through computer simulation. T'challa then throws the keys to a white guy - and a foreign spy, at that - and tells him to stop the plot to destabilise the world by arming blacks with advanced vibranium weapons while all the black characters go outside to have a tribal war in which they literally chuck spears at each other. If you don't think any of that is worthy of criticism, then I don't know what to say.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Creed 1 also has an amazingly done boxing sequence that is basically one shot and one of the beet shot action sequences of recent years. The drop in Black Panther is almost embarrassing. Once you get down. To the finale, it's just bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jedit posted:

As pointed out, Wakanda has extremely sophisticated jet aircraft that can be operated remotely through computer simulation. T'challa then throws the keys to a white guy - and a foreign spy, at that - and tells him to stop the plot to destabilise the world by arming blacks with advanced vibranium weapons while all the black characters go outside to have a tribal war in which they literally chuck spears at each other. If you don't think any of that is worthy of criticism, then I don't know what to say.

Plus like we have military vehicles today that are named after animals but aren't like, literally the animal.

They could have done a lot with that regarding the color and design of the stuff (since their tech is so advanced no need to make their aircraft a triangle like we saw at the and). I'm not saying to make them literally vehicles shaped like animals or whatever (like even in something as overblown as Warhammer 40,0000 a Chimera is a tank that looks like a tank not something built to look like the monster), just you could evoke that kind the feel and momentum of that without having literal animals while the one white dude uses an X-Files ship.

Darko posted:

Creed 1 also has an amazingly done boxing sequence that is basically one shot and one of the beet shot action sequences of recent years. The drop in Black Panther is almost embarrassing. Once you get down. To the finale, it's just bad.

I think it goes without saying that with the same story and general plot beats if Coogler was just given control over the action scenes or able to use the same folks he worked with on Creed - especially with so much of Black Panther's action emphasizing close combat and one on one fights - we could have gotten a much better movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 27, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Neo Rasa posted:

Same with Multiverse of Madness, the entire part where Wanda is laying siege to Kamar-Taj and Wong has to individually yell out everything they can do, and all this powerful center for magical learning has is magical bow and arrows and some cannons, that whole part of the movie sucked rear end. But everything else about it ruled so I can forgive it. I kind of respect they got the obligatory terrible MCU final battle stuff out of the way in the first act.

Yeah MoM is absolutely full of dumb poo poo like this. Or "Reed Richards is the smartest man in creation so he just walks up and talks to the raging invading violent person and then details the weakness of one of his fellow Illuminati, who then kills himself because he can't shutup despite being a mute" Also why don't they have anti-magic defenses? I mean I get it, they wanted a fun Illuminati sequence who then get killed by her to build up how scary she is, but it's all very dumb.

I do agree that Elizabeth Olsen is absolutely great acting in this movie, even if the script is not that good.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 27, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hard to plan on chaos magic

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's thoroughly established at that point that they, like Strange and dead Strange before them, are completely in over their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He didn't tell her the sound blaster guy's weakness, he told her what his power is