Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

fullroundaction posted:

NFTs aren’t really a “scam” in the same vein as crypto though are they? Like we have always had the real world equivalent of “buying art in the hopes it’ll appreciate” or whatever, and everyone buying one knows they’re spending x$ for a link to a meaningless, highly fungible jpeg2000.

At least if you squint you can almost see the appeal of the CONCEPT. Like I own a print of a movie poster, but that’s not as cool as an original poster that hung in a theater and was signed by the director etc.

However, I may be falling victim to “it can’t be as dumb as it actually is” brain, so feel free to blow me up on this.

Virtually every NFT "project" has some kind of roadmap of things they're promising (often poo poo like video games, shows, comic books, events, etc.) that will involve the NFTs in some way that they never deliver on. Once the NFTs are sold the developers disappear, either suddenly or gradually (the rugpull). So yeah, in that sense it's a scam, because you bought in on the promise that all this stuff would be developed that would add to the value of your "investment."

There are standalone nfts that are just sold for the "art" or whatever, but these are relatively rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

HappyHippo posted:

There are standalone nfts that are just sold for the "art" or whatever, but these are relatively rare.

Okay so it was in fact dumber than I was thinking

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Everything related to crypto is a scam.

Everything.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
NFTs generally have a gimmick offerings for levels of exclusive access to events, such as how you can only go to Apefest if you have an Ape.

Reply All did an episode where they tried to make a unique NFT to sell to an NFT bro, to get someone's stolen NFT back, and the dude had zero interest bc no one cares about Reply All, but also bc they didn't offer any additional gimmicks or community-building aspects.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/j4he7a7

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

fullroundaction posted:

Okay so it was in fact dumber than I was thinking

web3isgoinggreat has a filter for "rug pull" (because of course it does), this should give you an idea: https://web3isgoinggreat.com/?theme=rugPull

quote:

The project promised close involvement from the athletes who founded it, with a roadmap advertising autographed merchandise, real life and metaverse meetups with the players, and other giveaways.

quote:

Not only did their roadmap include play-to-earn game (of course), collaborations with a Swiss shoe and apparel store that would send them actual gear, and real-life trips, but they promised that 15 "legendary" cards would "automatically generate" their owners $2,500 each month, for life.

quote:

The project featured a roadmap promising all kinds of things: a metaverse gallery, "access to our worldwide global tour", future minting passes, a cut of the project fees, and a project to fight global hunger.

quote:

The project advertised that the models were "metaverse and game-ready", and the roadmap promised a merchandise store, animated series, "sandbox hideout", and card game.

quote:

The project's website is one of the most absurd I've seen, promising that "all final holders will get 10,000,000x gains". Their project roadmap includes a "mystery plan" that results in a 1,000,000x price increase.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gort posted:

Eh, there's a ton of overlap in that both things are scams - the only way to win is to pass the crypto or the NFT on to someone else for more money than you paid for it, then they're left with a worthless item. They're both Bigger Fool scams.

To add to this, I made a effort post about this earlier in the thread but with NFTs even if you sell them for exactly what you paid for them you take a loss, and the margin that you need to sell them at to break even is set by the person who mints it and is different for every NFT.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

fullroundaction posted:

At least if you squint you can almost see the appeal of the CONCEPT. Like I own a print of a movie poster, but that’s not as cool as an original poster that hung in a theater and was signed by the director etc.

However, I may be falling victim to “it can’t be as dumb as it actually is” brain, so feel free to blow me up on this.

You wouldn't own the original poster that was hung in the theater. The appropriate analogy to an NFT is that you own a receipt that points to the frame at the movie theater that contained the original poster. If the theater swaps out the poster, your connection to the original poster disappears. If the theater goes out of business and no longer hosts the poster frame, same outcome.

The value of the NFT that defines its resale value is that it points to a movie poster frame you don't own, which has housed a movie poster you don't own, and both the poster and the frame may have changed or disappeared since you purchased the receipt.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

StrangersInTheNight posted:

NFTs generally have a gimmick offerings for levels of exclusive access to events, such as how you can only go to Apefest if you have an Ape.

Reply All did an episode where they tried to make a unique NFT to sell to an NFT bro, to get someone's stolen NFT back, and the dude had zero interest bc no one cares about Reply All, but also bc they didn't offer any additional gimmicks or community-building aspects.

God, that episode was such a trashfire because the host knew nothing about NFTs and her general tone about them was "aren't these NFT things kind of neat? Golly gee!". But it's also absolutely required listening if you go in with a critical eye and a really fascinating train wreck.

They literally mint 2 NFTs as part of the show, even after producer Alex Goldman (who isn't much involved in creating the episode) goes on a rant midway through the episode about how much he loving hates NFTs. It's so goddamn weird.

That said, I HIGHLY recommend former Reply All producer PJ Vogt's podcast Crypto Island. It's basically what this episode should have been, created by someone who is knowledgeable and VERY critical of crypto and blockchain: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/crypto-island/id1614253637

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 26, 2022

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

I actually had listened to this episode, but I forgot about it. #RIP Reply All :(. It had its ups and downs, but when it was good it was really good.

HappyHippo posted:

web3isgoinggreat has a filter for "rug pull" (because of course it does), this should give you an idea: https://web3isgoinggreat.com/?theme=rugPull

Why would anyone WANT any of these things anyway (no need to answer)

Serious_Cyclone posted:

You wouldn't own the original poster that was hung in the theater. The appropriate analogy to an NFT is that you own a receipt that points to the frame at the movie theater that contained the original poster. If the theater swaps out the poster, your connection to the original poster disappears. If the theater goes out of business and no longer hosts the poster frame, same outcome.

The value of the NFT that defines its resale value is that it points to a movie poster frame you don't own, which has housed a movie poster you don't own, and both the poster and the frame may have changed or disappeared since you purchased the receipt.

I SAID IF YOU SQUINT ... but yeah that's a much better analogy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

I actually had listened to this episode, but I forgot about it. #RIP Reply All :(. It had its ups and downs, but when it was good it was really good.

Agreed. This is unquestionably its worst episode though, and kind of the death knell. It was a really weird listening experience for me, as I kept expecting a heel turn where they revealed how insidious the whole NFT and crypto scene was, but the host Anna genuinely doesn't understand crypto and seems to actually kind of think it's fun and neat.

Oh, and there's a REALLY weird part where Anna blathers on about how incredibly rich Alex Goldman is and kind of seems to float the idea that HE could just buy the NFTs back for the listener. It's bizarre.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
NFTs and Crypto are just an MLM for uncool dudes. So are sneakers. So is selling fentanyl.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I feel dumber after having this explained to me.

What the gently caress is streetwear and why does it cost more than a decent business suit?

Status symbol. Slap a logo on a shirt, charge a lot and everyone knows you're wearing a 400$ shirt. It's been a thing forever, brands like supreme are just more on-the-nose about it. Same thing with NFTs on Twitter but that's been much less successful.

Apparantly you could get cryptobros real cranky by setting their ape jpg as your own avatar and chatting them ip.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

NFTs aren’t really a “scam” in the same vein as crypto though are they? Like we have always had the real world equivalent of “buying art in the hopes it’ll appreciate” or whatever, and everyone buying one knows they’re spending x$ for a link to a meaningless, highly fungible jpeg2000.

I think with art at least you can be pretentious and show it off. Like have dinner parties and just casually mention the picasso in your living. Like i had a landlord once whos's entire first floor was curated with art and sculptures even though I know nothing about art it was still pretty impressive to look at.

No one is gonna be impressed by your apes.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I went to someone's apartment the other week and they had an NFT they right-clicked and printed on the wall :lol:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fullroundaction posted:

NFTs aren’t really a “scam” in the same vein as crypto though are they?

Crypto goes 'Buy this, and once everyone is using it, it will be worth many many times than you bought it from'.
NFTs goes 'Buy this, and everyone will be falling over themselves to buy it from you in future'.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The newly aped are never are never to be as esteemed as highly as the newly apeless.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of people don’t actually understand exactly what NFTs are

I’d actually like to pick the brains of some of the Hollywood types who bought so heavily into the grift, and find out how it was sold to them. They surely don’t give a poo poo about the decentralization ideology. How can they? The film and recording industries only survived by recentralizing supply into more direct control through streaming.

The last time I bought a Blu-Ray movie, I noticed that the included digital copy could be redeemed through multiple DRM services that were consolidating into one backend called Movies Anywhere. I can only imagine that some of these clearly non-technical celebrities must believe it’s a deal like that, albeit adding some kind of resale rights for the consumer and removing the extra corporation in the middle.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Agreed. This is unquestionably its worst episode though, and kind of the death knell. It was a really weird listening experience for me, as I kept expecting a heel turn where they revealed how insidious the whole NFT and crypto scene was, but the host Anna genuinely doesn't understand crypto and seems to actually kind of think it's fun and neat.

Oh, and there's a REALLY weird part where Anna blathers on about how incredibly rich Alex Goldman is and kind of seems to float the idea that HE could just buy the NFTs back for the listener. It's bizarre.

She also very credulously accepts some NFT bro’s valuation for his collection and tacitly agrees that he has no responsibility to return stolen product or even to check the provenance of things he buys from a publicly available ledger. Just a really, really bad episode and clear proof that without PJ the rest of the team lacks any real focus or critical thought, Alex especially is just clearly checked out and barely a guest on his own podcast.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

istewart posted:

I’d actually like to pick the brains of some of the Hollywood types who bought so heavily into the grift, and find out how it was sold to them. They surely don’t give a poo poo about the decentralization ideology. How can they? The film and recording industries only survived by recentralizing supply into more direct control through streaming.

The last time I bought a Blu-Ray movie, I noticed that the included digital copy could be redeemed through multiple DRM services that were consolidating into one backend called Movies Anywhere. I can only imagine that some of these clearly non-technical celebrities must believe it’s a deal like that, albeit adding some kind of resale rights for the consumer and removing the extra corporation in the middle.

Aren't they all connected to some company, that's also connected to nfts/crypto?
I recall seeing a chart somewhere

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Adolf Glitter posted:

Aren't they all connected to some company, that's also connected to nfts/crypto?
I recall seeing a chart somewhere

I think it was a talent agency actually .

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

HappyHippo posted:

"If you give me real money, I fingers-crossed, pinky-swear promise I will return things that your amount of real money could never buy." Like, who in the gently caress would really believe any of this? I'm still completely unable to understand how "legendary" jpegs from NFT scams can "generate" huge amounts of money forever (because they can't). Someone sees "all final holders will get 10,000,000x gains" and thinks "wow, not even Apple can give their investors those kinds of returns. Sign me up!" It's like listening to fourth graders come up with fake company ideas for a class activity.

Speaking of apes, those dudes are always popping into reddit threads to gloat about how GME is going to the moon once Gamestop opens its NFT marketplace. I've been meaning to google what it is that's got all the GME apes fizzing.

https://investor.gamestop.com/news-releases/news-release-details/gamestop-launches-wallet-cryptocurrencies-and-nfts

quote:

GRAPEVINE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 23, 2022-- GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME) (“GameStop” or the “Company”) today announced it has launched its digital asset wallet to allow gamers and others to store, send, receive and use cryptocurrencies and non-fungible tokens (“NFTs”) across decentralized apps without having to leave their web browsers. The GameStop Wallet is a self-custodial Ethereum wallet. The wallet extension, which can be downloaded from the Chrome Web Store, will also enable transactions on GameStop’s NFT marketplace, which is expected to launch in the second quarter of the Company’s fiscal year.

I don't think any serious crypto bro would stoop to using such a fake defi offering when they can go to any number of respected crash-and-burn exchanges they already use. I also think the main users will be GME apes throwing money into their sunk-cost meme stock company, at least until it gets inevitably hacked. To me, the weirdest part of the whole GME obsession is that nobody ever liked shopping at Gamestop, nobody ever liked selling games back to Gamestop but had to because usually there were no other options, and nobody ever liked working at Gamestop. It's a poo poo-tier company on all levels, propped up by parents buying console games for their kids. Seeing one guy make money off of GME stock (and he didn't even sell, lmao) somehow revisioned Gamestop's history as an all-around bad place to shop or work in. I wonder if their crypto and NFT offerings will resemble their in-store buyback offerings. "Yeah, ETH is at $1200, but best we can do is $37. Your choice; take it or leave it."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Many don't truly think that the whatever NFT can actually do the things promised, they just think that the promises allow the NFT to be hyped enough that they'll be able to sell to some rube who thinks that there's another bigger rube down the line.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

there is NFT weed IN MY HOUSE

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

there is NFT weed IN MY HOUSE

someone vaped all my apes

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

LifeSunDeath posted:

someone vaped all my apes

All my apes, toked.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like that the creator of the NFT term clearly wanted people to call them 'Nifty' and nobody did.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's like how SCSI got pronounced 'scuzzy' instead of 'sexy'

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I like that the creator of the NFT term clearly wanted people to call them 'Nifty' and nobody did.

LOL, they'll never be cool.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tunicate posted:

It's like how SCSI got pronounced 'scuzzy' instead of 'sexy'

Could have been worse. Scussy.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Rotten Red Rod posted:

God, that episode was such a trashfire because the host knew nothing about NFTs and her general tone about them was "aren't these NFT things kind of neat? Golly gee!". But it's also absolutely required listening if you go in with a critical eye and a really fascinating train wreck.

Yeah, the naive tone kills me, and the fact they even thought it might work. I do find it kinda funny they made a whole dang song by the end of it tho.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That said, I HIGHLY recommend former Reply All producer PJ Vogt's podcast Crypto Island. It's basically what this episode should have been, created by someone who is knowledgeable and VERY critical of crypto and blockchain: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/crypto-island/id1614253637

On the one hand, I hear it's a very good podcast and I'm interested. On the other, PJ Vogt is an anti-union shitbag who actively ran a union-busting campaign at Gimlet Media, so gently caress him sideways.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Neito posted:

All my apes, toked.

the QR code on the package goes to a closed IG account so I'm guessing the rug on NFT weed was pulled already

gonna keep it around as a novelty

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/heidiklum/status/1540470431509094400?s=21

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I

hm

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
What’s hilarious to me is that $1000+ crocs that take $1 to make or $1000 sneakers that will literally fall apart without being touched are still more inherently valuable than bitcoin lmao

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The best "The gang mints an NFT and marvels at the stupidity of the concept, processes and tools" podcast episode is Trueanon #145

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Well that settles it, I hate art now.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of people don’t actually understand exactly what NFTs are
A problem in search of a problem.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
do you think they ask the NFT owners permission before flashing huge billboard ads and making merchandise of them

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

On the one hand, I hear it's a very good podcast and I'm interested. On the other, PJ Vogt is an anti-union shitbag who actively ran a union-busting campaign at Gimlet Media, so gently caress him sideways.

I agree, and I went in knowing that. But I justify it based on the fact that he's now a one-man show with no employees, and seems cognizant of that fact that he really should stay that way. If he has people working under him again I'll peace out.

Gimlet really is a shadow of its former self. It's been on a slow downward path since it was bought by Spotify, and that's accelerated recently. None of their major shows produce shows on a reliable schedule anymore, it's pretty sad.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

nomad2020 posted:

Well that settles it, I hate art now.
Crypto ads make visiting NYC a less appealing prospect than covid and monkeypox combined.