Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Me at 7am grinding coffee beans in the bathroom after closing all the doors behind me, with a towel wrapped around the grinder to further muffle it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, boy, I sure am glad that no one else is posting blender focused comics today.

Can you try rehosting the Whomp comics on lpix or imgur or something? Every page with them loads terribly slowly on the Awful app :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

aw c'mon don't hotlink them from the site. ronnie will see a spike in traffic and get incredibly anxious

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

thetoughestbean posted:

Oh no they put Dad in a blender

dad puree, so what

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I wrote an individualized reply to everyone but the forums ate it, and it was like 4k words and I probably don't need to write an entire thesis on comic writing every week when I get advice. I've got a lot to think about. The two biggest things I pulled away from this is that fight scenes need to have a purpose. Either we're setting stakes, establishing power levels, showing some sort of emotional or physical growth, setting a goal or just pushing the story in some way. That the over-all length just needs to be as long as it needs to be to establish that goal, and that could be hundreds of panels, or 12, and that pacing is an intangible concept you get a feel for as you consume media.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sounds like you got it!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

I wrote an individualized reply to everyone but the forums ate it, and it was like 4k words and I probably don't need to write an entire thesis on comic writing every week when I get advice. I've got a lot to think about. The two biggest things I pulled away from this is that fight scenes need to have a purpose. Either we're setting stakes, establishing power levels, showing some sort of emotional or physical growth, setting a goal or just pushing the story in some way. That the over-all length just needs to be as long as it needs to be to establish that goal, and that could be hundreds of panels, or 12, and that pacing is an intangible concept you get a feel for as you consume media.

These are correct lessons! and I'm glad you resisted the urge to start writing the post over again because editing yourself is also a very valuable skill

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i can't imagine writing a 4k word forums post if it's not, like, part of an online roleplaying game or something

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm very long winded.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 06: 12-23 of 31

Qualia the Purple
Episode 06: 24-31 of 31

And that's a wrap on the first volume! All's well that ends well.

Koburn posted:

One thing I was wondering, was is ever printed in colour? The panels where they're talking about purple eyes is odd in black & white.
Outside of the covers and a few spot illustrations, I don't believe so!

Whoops, almost forgot the epilogue:

Squidster has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Jun 26, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Good for them, being straight forward and open from the start. This relationship will be built on a strong foundation.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Boba Pearl posted:

I generally dislike action scenes in comics, for a number of reasons that I won't get into. I wanted to call attention to the fight scene at the termination of Necropolis, though, because I think it is just such a phenomenal demonstration of a fight scene done well, and really want to point out what make it so loving good.

In short, a fight scene needs to be rich with details that give purpose to dedicating the amount of space it takes up. Comics are not like tv/movies. The choreography of a fight is much less visually/mentally interesting, so it is much harder to justify.

A brief refresher of the comic up until this point: The girl is a farmgirl who essentially pulled a bargain-with-the-devil for a magic sword after her home was destroyed by bandits, started using this sword to clear the area of bandits, which drew the attention of the capital. They captured her and would have put her to death, except the older woman took her on as an apprentice instead. The girl was unruly and untrained and unwilling to study under her, but (somewhat unwillingly) yields, and at this point seems to have warmed up to her a little. They have been summoned to the distant Augury, where they find the Oracle and everyone there has been killed, and they're ambushed.

The first thing I want to call attention to is the color. There's no easy way to show the palette of the rest of the comic, but take my word that it's generally brighter and with a much wider range of colors. This deep red/purple swath of the spectrum is a stark contrast, and it's done to great effect. The reds convey panic and danger, and the purples and overall darker tones are very claustrophobic. Just the colors alone show that she is both in immediate peril and is also completely unsound of mind, not at all prepared for this type of threat. This is further echoed through the way the background has faded away. Necropolis tends to be rich of detail in the background, and in this scene, we not only have panels with no background at all, but even in the cases where something is drawn in, it's lacking detail, with a very light line weight that even frequently drops out. This gives a sense that the protagonist has completely lost awareness of her soundings and is completely tunnel-visioned on the attacker in front of her.

Next, onto the attacker itself. There's obvious elements of inhumanity in the design itself (animal skull, cleavers as weapons). But, look at the way he moves. The way his limbs are straight-armed and the poses are stiff give off big vibes of lurching, inhuman movements. Even as you're reading through this fight, you're picking up information about who/what these guys are.

The, the last thing I wanted to call attention to is the final page, the climax of the fight, where she kills the attacker. Yeah, a big point of the scene is that she was patient, blocking/avoiding the attacks until an opening appeared (which was what was shown to be her deficiency during training at the start of the chapter). That part is pretty obvious. But there's even more to it than that. She is drawn in the 2nd panel to be giving the killing blow with her eyes closed tightly, and in panel 3 we see her skillfully repositioning her hands from the 1st panel to drive the sword deeper in for the kill. Even though she's clearly still terrified, she acts skillfully with the sword, something she was totally lacking before starting her training. It's this really powerful moment that demonstrates that the teachings of the older woman are really sinking in, to the extent that she can execute them subconsciously, which is this huge moment of character growth.

All of this is conveyed with (basically) no dialogue.

Necropolis was really good, and I'm incredibly sad we probably will never get more.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my powers were matched...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Boba Pearl posted:

Remember also that talking is a free action, and you can say a lot of words while jumping through the air about to stab a guy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

despite d&d rules being what they are, i think it looks like total dogshit when someone regurgitates a sassy, multiple-paragraphs forums post while in a fight scene

the necropolis sequence has about the right amount of dialogue, gasped out between breaths

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Really enjoying FightChat. Thanks, thread!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

my powers were matched...

I can hear the caw-caww echoing in my brain.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm very long-winded.
*Cracks Knuckles*
KINNIKUMAN- Super powered aliens wrestle it out in the ring for pride, glory, fun, domination, or just plain old good old friendship. This comic is old as hell and rough as hell in the beginning as it struggles to find out what it wants to be and is full of japanese references inscrutable to most western readers despite translators notes. also that late 70s early 80s casual stereotyping as far as "this wrestler is from x country so they look like this caricature."

This is part of the first "tournament" arc and I'm skipping a lot and jumping around to just post what I felt were the most important pages for what makes ME interested in the comic: the characters and their development. every single character in this comic was a fan-submitted drawing from a child (a la megaman boss fan submissions in nintendo power) that the author turned into main characters. some are fodder, some stay in the comic as main characters for the whole run.

Read right to left.

This page is right after Robin Mask beat Terryman in a match. Terryman had just moments before been shot in the leg while protecting the main character Kinnikuman. Terryman employed underhanded tactics like pocket sand (literally) and trying to win by throwing Robin Mask out of the ring. After losing the match Terryman apologizes and Robin Mask gracefully forgives him. This page sets up that Robin Mask is a gentleman, but also strong and seasoned enough to not fall for cheap tricks. Also Kinnikuman is kind of a scaredy cat and tries to give up his own position in the finals as a gag. (to this point Kinnikuman has mostly won out of sheer luck and comedy antics)

This is a few pages later and Kinnikuman and Robin Mask are having a prefight interview. Kinnikuman gets mad that Robin Mask is getting all the attention in the interview and does some childish poo poo, but Robin Mask that good old guy continues to play the straight man and takes everything dead seriously. He points out that Kinnikuman can't win a traditional fight and (in the next pages) proposes that a rule be added that allows for victory by pinning the opponent in a 3 count to make it fair. Robin Mask is a good guy guys.

On this page Kinnikuman tries to gain media attention and popularity among the fans by trying to add a spicy rule of his own: the loser of the match will be exiled from their country of origin. It adds extra stakes to the fight and is hilariously petty for a "main character" of a comic. Robin Mask continues to take this clown seriously.

Previous to this page Robin mask is out doing some prefight conditioning by running with his trainer. The media finds him and starts an impromptu interview asking him about the fight.

after this page it is revealed that Kinnikuman had left a note on his own front door that reads "training in the mountains". this was supposed to be a publicity stunt but they didn't specify which mountains he was training in so no one showed up to interview him. Robin Mask runs off in a panic to do more extreme training while we see Kinnikuman just sitting around in the snowy mountains doing nothing at all.

like 50 pages of gags and funny happen leading up to the day of the finals match.

Kinnikuman has a habit of making over the top flashy entrances and I guess Robin Mask's manager thought they should match or try to outdo the spectacle. Kinnikuman makes a fool of them by showing up in a relatively normal traditional outfit. Robin Mask is scandalized.

the match starts and Robin Mask leads with a drop kick that hits Kinnikuman in the face. Kinnikuman recoils and then shocks the world by doing an actual wrestling move and not some made up bullshit.

they trade blows for a while, there's a gag where Kinnikuman gets knocked so far out of the ring he lands on someone standing in the concessions line and walks back to the ring munching on popcorn. totally funny dude! After returning to the ring, Kinnikuman takes a flying headbutt to the face and gets his neck hosed up.

Robin Mask is a good guy. He's great. He wants to win "for real" the "right way" so he helps Kinnikuman with his neck problem. By blindsiding Kinnikuman with a neckdrop that cracks his neck back into place.

what a BRO that Robin Mask! From here they put the moves on eachother for a while with no one having a clear advantage. There are a lot of gags and slapstick in the audience, from the commentators, and from the other main characters. They even take a break for a while when the two become locked at a standstill for 11 minutes trying to muscle eachother out of position. MUSCLE!!! Terryman tries to give Kinnikuman advice about how to take advantage of Robin Mask's pride in his own power and technical ability. THIS. IS. FORESHADOWING.

Robin Mask is the seasoned professional here and starts using tactics. Kinnikuman is the scrappy main character and does an unusual thing- he grabs Robin Mask by the mask and rips it off. Robin Mask cares about keeping his face hidden and leaps off Kinnikuman, canceling the pin and prolonging the magic. His face covered with one arm he desperately fights to get the mask back. After doing so he begins to fight more erratically and makes a lot of mistakes by playing to Kinnikuman's bumbling level. Kinnikuman tricks him into running into the turnstyle and then-

drat he's pissed. apparently Robin Mask goes sicko mode if he gets beat up too much and is in danger of losing. His trainer tries to get the match canceled thinking to save Kinnikuman from being killed in the ring by the now feral Robin Mask. Robin Mask puts Kinnikuman in a bunch of submission holds and tries to convince him to give up, boasting that his strength will break his spine if he doesn't. Kinnikuman hangs in there, taking the pain until he gets Bane'd. Robin Mask tosses the unresponsive Kinnikuman to the ground and the crowd is silent. They can't believe they just saw a man die.

Robin Mask comes down from his frenzy high and is dumbfounded and vulnerable to surprise attacks.

Kinnikuman ISN'T dead! his back just cracked really loudly when he was being stretched out and Robin Mask's PRIDE IN HIS POWER AND TECHNIQUE led him to believe his foe defeated and safe to turn his back on. The next page is the ref doing a three count and proclaiming Kinnikuman the winner. Robin Mask protests at first but eventually accepts the defeat.

The medals are awarded to the participants. Robin Mask has been humbled and accepts his silver medal with grace.

British fans throw trash at Robin Mask and call him a wanker and poo poo. As this happens A Beautiful Wonan enters the ring to hug and comfort Robin Mask.

Robin Mask.... IS MARRIED??? the fans want them BOTH kicked out of England for some reason, so Kinnikuman thinks to rescue them by awarding the championship belt to Robin Mask. He changes his mind when the CEO of wrestling appears and tells Kinnikuman that he needs to keep the belt so he can go on an international journey and gain world stage experience in wrestling. also there will be girls. Kinnikuman is convinced he should keep the belt. The arc ends with most remaining main characters returning to their nations of origin to train (except the exiled Robin Mask who accepts the life of a wanderer ((DUN DUN DUNNNN))), and Kinnikuman off to international competition adventure.

So that was long! It covered 2 volumes (a few hundred pages) I left out SO MANY important pages just to not overflood this post but yeah. i like Kinnikuman. it's a comic ABOUT wrestling with superpowers but the characters really bring it to life and make it more than just dudes beating the poo poo out of eachother.

SWEET MERCIFUL TL:DR I posted 12 pages of a fight tournament comic and in only TWO of those pages is any fighting happening. This is because the WHO and the WHY is more important to me than "me hit antagonist" also there are a lot of gags in this comic and i think gags are funny.

the next big fight between Kinnikuman and Robin Mask... takes place in a ring.... 1000 meters above THE GRAND CANYON.... and ends.... with the comic relief villains.... FLYING AN AIRPLANE INTO THE RING DIRECTLY HITTING ROBIN MASK IN AN ATTEMPT TO KILL BOTH COMPETITORS!!!! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT WILL SHOCK YOU!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

despite d&d rules being what they are, i think it looks like total dogshit when someone regurgitates a sassy, multiple-paragraphs forums post while in a fight scene

the necropolis sequence has about the right amount of dialogue, gasped out between breaths

Yeah the only time anyone should be saying more than a few words at a time is if you're specifically conveying how little this particular attacker means, that they can just brush off attacks and talk at a normal clip. Anyone who's actively fighting for their life isn't going to be saying poo poo! It's basically impossible to talk coherently and defend yourself, that takes two different mental gears. That's what makes chessboxing so fun.
Those necropolis panels are a great example. Look at how the attacker is always fully extended in every direction, it really conveys just how hard he's swinging, no technique or restraint, just full exertion- attack, attack, attack. Look at the last panel on the second page, how the motion lines and the girl folding around the attack convey how hard it hit.

If you want an example of how not to do it, look at anything by Thorsby. All the characters are so stiff, they're posed like mannequins in each scene. There's no motion, no sense of travel, it's just okay Annette is standing here holding her knife and now she's standing there and the knife is stuck in a guy. It has all the kinetic feel of a kid listlessly banging his GI Joes together.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and another thing that makes for a good fight scene: the Jackie Chan principle, even if it's a fight to the death between deadly enemies you're allowed to make it funny. TESB is a great example: everyone is having so much fun, and it's infectious, and it makes the serious moments like Luthar getting run through hit way harder. But before then the corpses getting launched, and the swarm of simps, and nose guy realising they're in trouble because this guy looks cool, and noodle boy getting actually hurt and immediately just whining about it, they give the whole thing a sense of fun that's really hard not to like

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This made me start reading Akira again (lol, thank you) and I was just thinking about the difference between movies and comic books. Like compare these two different scenes (there's so much good stuff I ended picking something different, you want a good example of action, just read all those drat volumes back to front), and just think about how each medium added and twisted its circumstances to best fit what it's trying to do (its also helpful it was done by the same person).

Its read left to right, like American comics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWj_TpO9gL8&t=156s

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

The boys give an award to Microsoft Word

at the end of the cartoon the cat feels that he has to throw his possession into the garbage

Not the mayor!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I read that all the way down waiting for it to lead to something

jesus christ

I read halfway scrolled back up to see if i got wizard mastered and then went back to reading. which of us really made the mistake here

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Tenebrais posted:

Heathcliff's first name is Heathcliff, but you can just call him Heathcliff

Please, Heathcliff is my dad's name. Call me Heathcliff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How the hell did Ronnie get a girlfriend. Especially one that puts up with his poo poo. Is she after his web comic money?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Me at 7am grinding coffee beans in the bathroom after closing all the doors behind me, with a towel wrapped around the grinder to further muffle it
Also me trying to blend a cream of broccoli soup at 11pm, outside on the terrace, with a towel, because I put off doing it earlier and now have nothing else to eat.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jun 27, 2022

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

-Ah! My old pal, 'Kit' Carson!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's always surprising to me, how many puns work across these unrelated languages

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

e-dt posted:

Not the mayor!

I had the opportunity to play the dozens with Chris Onstad one time. He won with "Your mama is so fat, and it's all your fault. She was beautiful, once."

I don't even remember what I said

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

flavor.flv posted:

I had the opportunity to play the dozens with Chris Onstad one time. He won with "Your mama is so fat, and it's all your fault. She was beautiful, once."

oh jeez

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

flavor.flv posted:

Holy guacamole

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

flavor.flv posted:

It wouldn't have mattered what you said.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

some plague rats posted:

Oh and another thing that makes for a good fight scene: the Jackie Chan principle, even if it's a fight to the death between deadly enemies you're allowed to make it funny. TESB is a great example: everyone is having so much fun, and it's infectious, and it makes the serious moments like Luthar getting run through hit way harder. But before then the corpses getting launched, and the swarm of simps, and nose guy realising they're in trouble because this guy looks cool, and noodle boy getting actually hurt and immediately just whining about it, they give the whole thing a sense of fun that's really hard not to like

The other Jackie Chan principle is that the environment where people are fighting should matter.

freemandela
Apr 18, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

jesus

that's not even a yo mamma joke

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Boba Pearl posted:

All good points, especially about the pacing. Been said that there's 90 minute movies that feel like they take forever, and 3 hour movies that don't feel long enough, because depending on pacing (and whether they're actually good or not) your subjective experience is very different.

A lot of the 'obligatory fight scene' stuff usually comes from editorial demands, or in the case of webcomic amateurs, might actually be from video games- reminds me of how Yakuza games are described as having fights break out as an excuse to keep the player entertained when the story might be boring them. But that's a different medium, where fight scenes are an entirely different, active experience. (and of course, relies on the game's fighting system actually being entertaining on its own merits)

There's a reason anime and manga likes monsters/baddies of the week with new powers, gimmicks and signature attacks, because that keeps things fresh and means every fight scene is at least a little different even if the heroes tend to use the same attacks.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

SWEET MERCIFUL TL:DR I posted 12 pages of a fight tournament comic and in only TWO of those pages is any fighting happening. This is because the WHO and the WHY is more important to me than "me hit antagonist" also there are a lot of gags in this comic and i think gags are funny.

the next big fight between Kinnikuman and Robin Mask... takes place in a ring.... 1000 meters above THE GRAND CANYON.... and ends.... with the comic relief villains.... FLYING AN AIRPLANE INTO THE RING DIRECTLY HITTING ROBIN MASK IN AN ATTEMPT TO KILL BOTH COMPETITORS!!!! WHAT HAPPENS NEXT WILL SHOCK YOU!

It's actually funny reading the original after I watched Ultimate Muscle as a kid which features these characters' kids, who are similar in some ways yet different from their fathers.

...also the idea of 'Model of the honourable warrior, right up until he starts to lose' as a character flaw is actually a fun one. And I've seen it before with Ryu from Street Fighter of all places, it's implied at points that for all his being a genuinely heroic type he's a really sore loser, and it's one of the character flaws that makes him struggle with the Dark Side.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Lies, Sisters and Wives
Page 31

Lies: 42 (+4; not thirsty, thirsty after all, how clumsy, we've taken enough)
Sisters: 0
Wives: 3
Deaths: 0

Fredrik has an interesting, succinct style of speech. I guess it's meant to portray his efficiency as a person? Anyway, how kind of him to consider the precious whiskey! I assume that he's worried that Jessica might have poisoned the whiskey, due to all the misinformation and implications he's received about her.

You could've taken the hint, Bob

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I assumed Fredrik is supposed to be portrayed as very gruff and terse. He seems to be extra stingy with his words when talking to Jim, compared to when he's talking with someone he doesn't hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Frederik's a very to-the-point, no-bullshit man, which is why I love how thanks to the web of lies he's been told and by no fault of his own, he finds himself playing a very Jim/Fusk-like role