Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I skip that episode every rewatch because I cannot stand the hum-screaming bullshit they all do in that sickbay scene. Absolute auditory torture and that kid does it several times in the episode. Just godawful.

That's funny because the Modern Trek thread is over 1000 pages of people making the B'nar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Wow, someone in the writer's room had the good sense to have the Doctor's daughter come back to say everything is okey dokey. Otherwise, that was depressing as hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This TNG episode with the kid raised by space pirates(?) is tedious.

That being said Picard being awkward with kids is a relatable character trait.
The Talarians are not really space pirates

They are more like low-rent Klingons

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
IIRC, in the original script they were Klingons, with the kid as essentially a reverse-Worf.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That would have been more fun, but it's kind of unbelievable Klingons would adopt a puny human like that.

Infyrion
Oct 5, 2007
Guessing that's where the bit with the Telarian captain explaining that his son was killed by 'the enemy' and therefore their laws allowed him to take a human orphan in return came from. Sounds vaguely Klingon-ish.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I feel like raising the orphaned child of an enemy because it is the honorable thing is exactly the kind of thing a non-lovely Klingon would do

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So let's say the romulans try to evacuate Romulus. Let's assume they have 2,000 warbird equivalents in their fleet. Which is a bit generous, since we know how big warbirds are.

Warbirds are really big so let's assume that each one can evacuate 40,000 people per trip and each round trip takes a week.

Assume 5 billion people on Romulus.

It will take the Romulan Fleet one year and 2 months to evacuate everyone with the whole fleet operating non-stop.

Kind of sounds like you would need massive humanitarian assistance. The kind that would absorb all of the federation's space lift capacity for months.

There are two inhabited planets in that star system.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arglebargle III posted:

So let's say the romulans try to evacuate Romulus. Let's assume they have 2,000 warbird equivalents in their fleet. Which is a bit generous, since we know how big warbirds are.

Warbirds are really big so let's assume that each one can evacuate 40,000 people per trip and each round trip takes a week.

It will take the Romulan Fleet one year and 2 months to evacuate everyone with the whole fleet operating non-stop.

Kind of sounds like you would need massive humanitarian assistance. The kind that would absorb all of the federation's space lift capacity for months.

Remans don't count, if Nemesis is any guide

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remans don't count, if Nemesis is any guide

If Star Trek Online is anything close to canon (since the new shows keep shoplifting stuff from it), the most reasonable and relatable Reman is a separatist leader who gets pissy at you if you try to apprehend him for building world-destroyer bombs to kill some Romulans and destroy their planets.

On the current storyline, this takes place *after* the Romulan civil war has ended, and Remans are free to found their own colonies or go live with the republic planets which are under the joint Starfleet/Klingon protection via alliance.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

They weren't just evacuating one planet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A huge part of the crisis is because the kill zone of the supernova is a radius of about 50 light years over the next 50 years, and the most heavily inhabited Romulan colonies are the ones close to Romulus. So it's a massive ongoing refugee/evacuation crisis situation for decades, with lots of worlds still facing it by the time of Picard a decade later. And to get Romulus itself cleared in time they had to shunt them to other nearby refugee worlds still in the kill zone with the plan of moving them again later, because if they flew everyone 60 light years they couldn't have gotten everyone off-world.

That's why the Federation couldn't even just use their existing lift capacity, they had to build a dedicated mass-produced fleet of 10,000 tugs hauling trains of passenger car cargo containers crewed by synths, intended to be hauling people en-masse from Romulan space for decades.

It is a pretty cool setup that would've made a really good show if the writers hadn't hosed what came next.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 24, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

A huge part of the crisis is because the kill zone of the supernova is a radius of about 50 light years over the next 50 years, and the most heavily inhabited Romulan colonies are the ones close to Romulus. So it's a massive ongoing refugee/evacuation crisis situation for decades, with lots of worlds still facing it by the time of Picard a decade later. And to get Romulus itself cleared in time they had to shunt them to other nearby refugee worlds still in the kill zone with the plan of moving them again later, because if they flew everyone 60 light years they couldn't have gotten everyone off-world.

That's why the Federation couldn't even just use their existing lift capacity, they had to build a dedicated mass-produced fleet of 10,000 tugs hauling trains of passenger car cargo containers crewed by synths, intended to be hauling people en-masse from Romulan space for decades.

It is a pretty cool setup that would've made a really good show if the writers hadn't hosed what came next.

Well said. They did a really lovely job of explaining this part, I'm not sure if they even mentioned it directly in the show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They really needed to talk to a science advisor to figure out what this disaster even is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You don't understand, it is important that the audience has no idea where or when things are happening, that makes it easy to write because you don't have to care.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Well said. They did a really lovely job of explaining this part, I'm not sure if they even mentioned it directly in the show.

They talked a bit about how there were people still in the line of fire from the supernova who'd been abandoned but it was very unclear.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

They talked a bit about how there were people still in the line of fire from the supernova who'd been abandoned but it was very unclear.

I remember going "poo poo, I know what that implies" and waited for them to explain it to The Audience, and they never really did :negative:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MikeJF posted:

Stop making Picard sound interesting because that is a good setup.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It just makes it more damning that they took that setup and made what they did.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would have been cheaper to prevent the supernova, at that point.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm thinkin about star trek

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Guys I have solution to Romulan super nova and any sort of canon created by JJAbrams and the Star Trek Picard show:

Just take all of it and drag it to the trash can in your head.

Problem solved!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I meant your head should be dragged away AS trash can!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Stop making Picard sound interesting because that is a good setup.

Picard is nothing BUT good setups (that are immediately thrown away).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The spiritual successor to Voyager

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Exactly. Oh we have Romulan refugees trying to rebuild their society, and also ex-Borgs trying to build a new one, and also synthetic life trying to build *their*own society. So much space for philosophy and diplomacy and grand Picardian speeches.

Oh wait, the story is evil robot gods? Nevermind then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And none of it touches Season 2 at all. All that "world building" just got ditched lol

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Brawnfire posted:

And none of it touches Season 2 at all. All that "world building" just got ditched lol

To be fair, season 2 takes place nowhere or no-when near there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

To be fair, season 2 takes place nowhere or no-when near there.

That's Brawnfire's whole point, there's no reason to be fair about it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

McSpanky posted:

That's Brawnfire's whole point, there's no reason to be fair about it.

It doesn't bother me that they left that background behind for season 2 and did something else.

Of course, it was five episodes looking pretty good and then leaping naked into a dumptruck full of sulfuric acid and razor blades, because

I'm only on episode 9 though. I'm watching the finale tonight and I'm sure they'll turn that ship (ha) right around and give me a sensible and fulfilling conclusion.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I mean it sort of bothers me that they set up a whole "what's happening in the universe we last left in the 2000s" scenario with some intriguing hooks then abandoned most of them, then given the opportunity to go back and revisit some of the abandoned hooks, they came up with a dozen new hooks and abandoned all of those too.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8MFp3-ebEQ

today is a good day to remain indomitable

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I enjoyed the blink and you miss it inference that the JJ universe is fantasy in the Strange New Worlds latest episode.

The map of Elysian had the outline of the reboot movie Enterprise.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1540293443293003777

Ryan North is writing a Lower Decks comic, I am excited.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1541149768596029447

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hot drat but also can't help but think maybe he could write an episode too!?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

He's right about Civil Defense being the best episode of DS9.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He's right about Civil Defense being the best episode of DS9.

Is this ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS or worf on trial, I always get those mixed up, episode name wise

I fuckin love smug dukat holo and smugger real dukat

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Worf posted:

Is this ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS or worf on trial, I always get those mixed up, episode name wise

I fuckin love smug dukat holo and smugger real dukat

It's ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ugh God I need to rewatch that

I just watched kira and butthurt dukat in the cave again, I am so glad they got marc alaimo to do that role for his six seasons