Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow Scotland seems even more obscure than sweden when it comes to european countries that ended up parts of the US

scotland must really be the worst country at statecraft

their lovely colonies hosed up their economy so bad that they thought that joining in a union with england was a good move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BonHair posted:

Aside about Norse/Danish words: don't count us as honourable warriors, we have two words for poisoning, one for deadly poison (forgive) and one for non-lethal (forgifte).

Dutch does, too - 'vergeven' and 'vergiftigd', so it's probably more of a general Germanic thing ('vergeven' is archaic though).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

See, I didn't even know that, I was only aware of vergeven in the sense of 'to forgive'.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
All the people from Stuart's Town moved into the Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Mountains and highland culture is pretty ingrained in the area. It's the same mountains, after all

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ChubbyChecker posted:

scotland must really be the worst country at statecraft

their lovely colonies hosed up their economy so bad that they thought that joining in a union with england was a good move
Probably was for the ruling class.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

And you could have it all
My Empire of Qwertz
I will let you down
Misstzpe yacht and yurt

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Empire of QWERT” would be a good username.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why aren't Serbia and FFYRM Northern Macedonia using cyrillic?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

See, I didn't even know that, I was only aware of vergeven in the sense of 'to forgive'.

The Dutch word for "non-lethally poison" is a homonym for "forgive?" That's fascinating.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Makes sense for a raw herring in marinade culture.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ASDF JKLÆ.
Is the basic keyboard setting and I will not hear otherwise

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have the semicolon the home row

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why aren't Serbia and FFYRM Northern Macedonia using cyrillic?

They are small markets and no proper Cyrillic keyboards are sold there. The Russian Cyrillic script is different so it wouldn’t make sense to import their keyboards, so most people just buy regular English language keyboards with stuff like ć and č added by the sales company in form of stickers or additional prints on the keys.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

stole this from the ancient history thread

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That all checks out. Especially whale.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The Dutch word for "non-lethally poison" is a homonym for "forgive?" That's fascinating.

lethal poison, but yes

I don't know if they are actually cognates or arrived on the same form from a different path, though, but their homonymic entanglement is pretty old at least, e.g. "gift" means "something you give" in English and Dutch, but "Gift" in German means "poison".

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Elyv posted:

The label say "or Spanish" but Spanish appears multiple times.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Tei posted:

that's why it's in the bad map thread

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Tei posted:

I think it is referring to the Spanish spoken in Caucasian Iberia, not the Iberian Peninsula. That gets confusing sometimes, but they are very different languages.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pope Hilarius II posted:

e.g. "gift" means "something you give" in English and Dutch, but "Gift" in German means "poison".

one of my favourite Swedish Language Fun Facts is that "gift" means both "poison" (noun) and "married" (adjective)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Angepain posted:

one of my favourite Swedish Language Fun Facts is that "gift" means both "poison" (noun) and "married" (adjective)

Works in Danish too. "Jeg er gift" means "I am poison/married". Saves me a lot of time explaining too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Idk what's going on in Scandinavia, but I'm in love with my wife. I'm glad my language doesn't need a "lmao this bitch I'd poison her/love her" cognate.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Tei posted:

At least Chilean Spanish is to my understanding accurate. Bit like relationship of rural Irish English

https://youtu.be/pit0OkNp7s8

to Received Pronunciation

https://youtu.be/Z8uW15pmF68

But that info is from an argentine friend of mine..

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Your friend is right. When Chilean soap operas are broadcast in other Spanish-speaking countries, many times they’ll put subtitles or even dubbed with more neutral Spanish.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Elyv posted:

Took me a few seconds to realize this wasn't a serious map. I mean, whoever heard of 'Basque'? Ridiculous

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phlegmish posted:

Took me a few seconds to realize this wasn't a serious map. I mean, whoever heard of 'Basque'? Ridiculous
It had me until I saw Mathematics in Kansas.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tei posted:

I only see Chilean but I assume there's terms for spanish that don't include it

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That all checks out. Especially whale.

Where's whale?

e: poo poo, georgia.
e2: gently caress, tennessee

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Redczar posted:

Your friend is right. When Chilean soap operas are broadcast in other Spanish-speaking countries, many times they’ll put subtitles or even dubbed with more neutral Spanish.

I have not seen subtitles for a spanish serie in spain. But I guess you could always find people that use a weird slang ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGx4VtwMnfM

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 26, 2022

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Redczar posted:

"neutral" sure is doing a lot of politically loaded work there, señorito

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Checks out though.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Guavanaut posted:

Checks out though.

Romania and Finland both switched and Iraq was briefly axis alligned

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only one hispanophone country stayed neutral for the entire course of the war though :cryingfranco:

Using modern borders leaves a lot of things that don't make much sense, like axis north and south Korea, although I see what they're getting at with axis Kaliningrad.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I like Russia was axis and not "busy executing generals" in the beginning of the war.

I also like that Denmark, a nation that was attacked and conquered within literally hours, counts as an ally.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also weird that the European colonial possessions are shown as "Allies" but the Japanese imperial possessions aren't shown as "Axis".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yes, Persia/Iran was "allied".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kenning posted:

Also weird that the European colonial possessions are shown as "Allies" but the Japanese imperial possessions aren't shown as "Axis".
The other big problem with trying to use modern borders, the colonies of the losing side sometimes aren't shown at all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That map's logic seems to be:

Neutral countries that were invaded and ruthlessly conquered by any power whose name doesn't rhyme with "Boviet Bunion" count as "allies".

Even if the USSR was your partner in the invasion, as long as it wasn't just them then brutal conquest is enough to magic you from a neutral to an allied nation.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I guess I can understand showing the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact as 'joining the Axis' if you're being really harsh on Russia for some reason, but then showing all the other parts of the USSR as Allies before Pearl Harbor is just weird.

*squints* Also Moldova is in the Axis?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Byzantine posted:

I guess I can understand showing the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact as 'joining the Axis' if you're being really harsh on Russia for some reason, but then showing all the other parts of the USSR as Allies before Pearl Harbor is just weird.

*squints* Also Moldova is in the Axis?

You invade one country together with Nazi Germany, secretly divide the rest of eastern europe up with them, transfer them money, authorize German-supervised population transfers from your side of the border, and to mutually police it for dissident agitators and people start throwing all kinds of crazy labels around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

"neutral" sure is doing a lot of politically loaded work there, señorito

It’s the word used in Spanish :shrug:
Standard Spanish if you prefer. RAE-approved Spanish