Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I was driving around Williamsburg the other day and there’s all these commissioned “street art” ape murals. Embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Toebone posted:

I was driving around Williamsburg the other day and there’s all these commissioned “street art” ape murals. Embarrassing.

are they colonial time period appropriate though?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tehinternet posted:

What’s hilarious to me is that $1000+ crocs that take $1 to make or $1000 sneakers that will literally fall apart without being touched are still more inherently valuable than bitcoin lmao

The production quality on the super expensive sneakers is apparently quite good and they're fairly durable, though obviously not $2000 good or buy-from-a-scalper-at-$12,000 good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEiIcPHTzCM

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Toebone posted:

I dunno, maybe you could look on them as hilarious.
Better than just another corporate logo or ad, and murals are usually for depressing things like famous dead people or events.
If I'm driving down a street and see an NFT on a wall somewhere, it would cheer me up as I know someone intentionally hosed themself over.

Looking forward to the min-resurgence of NFTs in the near future too.
When those who have them now, desperately will sell them to get anything back from them.
And a new gen of bag holders will appear, it will trend again, and the comedy continues.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

I thought that Heidi Klum was a pretty shrewd businesswoman. And now that I think of it, having her own show (in Germany) in which she sells the promise of top-modelling to a bunch of teenagers every year, just to promote her own brand... Yeah, she is on the grifting side of the deal.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

happyhippy posted:

I dunno, maybe you could look on them as hilarious.
Better than just another corporate logo or ad, and murals are usually for depressing things like famous dead people or events.
If I'm driving down a street and see an NFT on a wall somewhere, it would cheer me up as I know someone intentionally hosed themself over.

Nah it pretty much just looks like poo poo, I'd rather the entire wall be covered in tags.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lol the new episode of “Evil” (great show btw) has a subplot of the main series antagonist launching and pumping their own crypto currency in order to sow discord.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Yeah, I retract my previous statement.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Shifty Pony posted:

Nah it pretty much just looks like poo poo, I'd rather the entire wall be covered in tags.

“Mural” was probably going a bit too far, it’s just projector-traced junk on blank walls

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Toebone posted:

“Mural” was probably going a bit too far, it’s just projector-traced junk on blank walls

this poo poo is actively making me hate graffiti and marc ecko

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The little owl is cute at least

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

tehinternet posted:

What’s hilarious to me is that $1000+ crocs that take $1 to make or $1000 sneakers that will literally fall apart without being touched are still more inherently valuable than bitcoin lmao

real matter is always more valuable because you can atleast compress broken shoe matter into a ball and then use it as ammo for a sling shot.

or burn it or eat it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

yeah dan olsen went to the murals for some of his b-shot footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Heath posted:

The little owl is cute at least

wow sir. SIR. how dare you. it is a loving PUDGY PENGUIN.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Strong Sauce posted:

wow sir. SIR. how dare you. it is a loving PUDGY PENGUIN.

Well it's cute

It's not cute enough that I'd pay multi-digit money for it but I'd probably buy it on a sticker

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i right clicked it for you.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

seriously, stop

just stop

do not give money or credibility to Balenciaga, they're clearly just loving with everyone.
I'm convinced all the top people in the fashion industry meet up every now and then, do a ton of drugs and just go "Right, what kind of absolutely ridiculous poo poo can we trick people into wearing this time?"

Like in some way I can respect that they in tyool 2022 have managed to troll people into wearing fanny packs again.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So who has the stencil of a cursor and a right click copy menu?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What is a photo but a dirty right clicker in the real world? :thunk:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

what was their justification for why right click gang is actually good and makes their NFT worth more or w/e? think i remember reading that itt

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

LifeSunDeath posted:

this poo poo is actively making me hate graffiti and marc ecko

Marc Ecko’s throw up

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DrPossum posted:

are they colonial time period appropriate though?

Does an ape wear a tricorne hat and powdered wig?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Tunicate posted:

The production quality on the super expensive sneakers is apparently quite good and they're fairly durable, though obviously not $2000 good or buy-from-a-scalper-at-$12,000 good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEiIcPHTzCM

When I say literally fall apart, I’m talking about the actual materials.

I can understand someone spending $1k on higher end leather shoes because those will last a lifetime if taken care of. Sneakers being worth that when they’ll literally disintegrate just because somebody made 500 of them is just lmao

Sneakers are still more valuable than Bitcoin because as the person above said, at least you have something you can use to throw at people when it’s fallen apart

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
barfcoin. each coin backed by 1 barf

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
leather shoes are also simple enough in their construction that you can fix them for a minor fraction of their original price, usually just replace the sole.

Theoretically you can Ship of Theseus them I guess if youre a vampire or some other sort of ultra long lived person.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I didn't see it the last few pages,

https://twitter.com/benfossen/status/1541089658590957568

but apparently the monkey jpg restaurant doesn't accept crypto"currency" anymore lololol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm convinced all the top people in the fashion industry meet up every now and then, do a ton of drugs

it's called Miami

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Toebone posted:

I miss the days when that sort of thing would cause public backlash. Remember the huge stink about Sony's fake PSP graffiti?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
In theory, how would copyright/IP/whatever law deal with stuff like murals or all of this BAYC-alike poo poo popping up everywhere since most of it isn’t a 1:1 pixel reproduction?

It’s not like Mario or Mickey Mouse where regardless of style the character is still distinct/recognizable. There are 11000+ procedurally generated BAYCs … so if someone were to just create their own in the style would they infringing anything?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

fullroundaction posted:

In theory, how would copyright/IP/whatever law deal with stuff like murals or all of this BAYC-alike poo poo popping up everywhere since most of it isn’t a 1:1 pixel reproduction?

It’s not like Mario or Mickey Mouse where regardless of style the character is still distinct/recognizable. There are 11000+ procedurally generated BAYCs … so if someone were to just create their own in the style would they infringing anything?

I found myself genuinely wondering this about Seth Green’s NFT fiasco… Why not just spend a few grand to file off the most obvious visual attributes of the ape in his dumb show in progress and make a derivative ape that isn’t directly represented in the fetid little ecosystem? Was visually preserving the ape he paid for just egotism? Because that would make the situation even more stupid than it was before.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tunicate posted:

The production quality on the super expensive sneakers is apparently quite good and they're fairly durable

There's many things that fit into this sentence with meaning, none of them are "sneaker".

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Hasturtium posted:

I found myself genuinely wondering this about Seth Green’s NFT fiasco… Why not just spend a few grand to file off the most obvious visual attributes of the ape in his dumb show in progress and make a derivative ape that isn’t directly represented in the fetid little ecosystem? Was visually preserving the ape he paid for just egotism? Because that would make the situation even more stupid than it was before.

My exact thoughts when that whole thing went down. Like the ape used in his test footage wasn’t even “the same” from a technical perspective as his NFT in any meaningful way other than likeness.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Never seen this before

nexo issuing a cease and desist demand by... linking to a blog post with no specifics whatsoever

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1541220710152114176

this is even funnier than the one the cryptoland people sent to Molly White telling her to delete her lies

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Strong “A Lot of Questions Already Answered by the Shirt” energy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

LOL even Bernie Madoff didn't promise anything near what crypto keeps consistently promising:

quote:

The $1.3 billion fraud bilked more than 7,000 people, mostly seniors, and enticed them with promised returns of 5% to 10% a year on real-estate investments.

Ponzi was the high mark at a promised 50 percent.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A bunch of IP lawyers basically agreed that Seth Green never lost his NFT, because it was a fraudulent conveyance, and if push came to shove he could sue to have the token itself returned because NY law would not have recognized the blockchain as determinative of anything.

But, the entire idea of NFTs is to perpetuate the sham that there is something substantive there; exercising his actual legal rights would have revealed that the emperor is wearing nothing. Green couldn't break kayfabe because it would immediately sink the project, his audience cares deeply about the delusion this is a special club they've joined.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Of course it doesn't actually confer ownership rights. That sort of thing requires buy in from enforcement authorities. You know, a government

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah I figured it needed to be, specifically, his ape in order to let the entire concept work. If you can just copy an ape... why... anarchy is loosed!

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
There's a pretty decent possibility that procedurally-generated images aren't even copyright-able at all. Courts have generally found that only humans can create art, and I don't think an algorithmically generated bored ape would meet that threshold.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Toebone posted:

One thing that bothers me is that a lot of these so-called "bored" apes don't even look bored! Their expressions are often energetic or agitated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

One thing that bothers me is that a lot of these so-called "bored" apes don't even look bored! Their expressions are often energetic or agitated.

It's not the apes themselves that are bored, its the art.