Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

This was one thing that stung me on my first house. The PO left a bunch of poo poo in the basement including an old cast iron aga. I didn’t think to much about it then but in retrospect my buying agent was crap and at no point brought up anything about asking specifically for stuff like that to be removed or what was conveying with the house. When I sold it last year the buyers asked for it to be gone since I assume their agent wasn’t as crap as mine had been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Cleared underwriting yesterday, finally and officially approved. The only issue I had was them constantly hounding me for a letter from HR at my company (LOL not happening with where I work) guaranteeing my being able to retain my job after relocating to a new state. I was able to furnish an employment verification letter and can provide that again at or before closing and that seemed to satisfy them (she hinted that they still need it).

Rate lock meeting on 7/5, bit nervous about how the next 2 weeks play out with the rates.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BigPaddy posted:

This was one thing that stung me on my first house. The PO left a bunch of poo poo in the basement including an old cast iron aga. I didn’t think to much about it then but in retrospect my buying agent was crap and at no point brought up anything about asking specifically for stuff like that to be removed or what was conveying with the house. When I sold it last year the buyers asked for it to be gone since I assume their agent wasn’t as crap as mine had been.

Yeah the other thing is that poo poo left behind doesn't necessarily belong to you. Depends on the state, but if it's not specified in the contract as something that conveys, then usually you have to give the seller a chance to fix it... abandoned property isn't typically fair game, there's usually a process to follow before you can dispose of it (which includes telling them to get their poo poo or you'll be charging them for disposal/removal).

There's always a chance that it was legitimately forgotten, and if it has any value to it then you can bet once the seller realizes this they'll be coming back for it.

edit: so not you specifically, because if years go by then good luck making a claim. But just the general "basement full of junk" is something to yell at the seller about.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 23, 2022

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
My PO left us a garage full of garbage including kitchen trash sitting in open bags that spilled everywhere, and a several trash bags of used diapers. Trash pickup was the day before closing.

They also left a gas grill filled with wasps in the backyard.

Still glad we didn't need to move immediately.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Disposing of a large old TV is a huge pain in the rear end unless you're lucky enough to stick it on the curb and some idiot takes it off your hands. Garbage men here don't touch them (and they shouldn't).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The only stuff I left was either agreed upon ahead of time, like a deep freeze, AC unit and microwave. Or stuff that came with the house when I bought it, like the original doors and windows for the 100 year old house. I did leave some paint cans for the current colors and tiling as well I guess.

Coming into the new house it was clear they scrambled. My realtor said she saw them frantically moving the morning before closing. They left behind a bunch of cleaning supplies, a vacuum, kids toys, etc. I didnt want to try and fight it even though we'll have to slowly get rid of it all. Seemed like that would be harder to chase them down than it would be to just get rid of the junk ourselves.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If the mirror was hung like a picture it's probably technically ambiguous. There's a chance that TV works fine however slim and they just couldn't get it off the mount? :shobon:

But yeah just call the realtor. If it's busted or you don't want it they will have their handyman down there in a heartbeat.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Speaking of TV mounts, should I take them down when we move out of our townhouse? 3 total in the unit. Removing them likely messes/rips the paint off the wall, we are leaning towards just leaving them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Leave them. Unless you specifically say they do not convey, the TV mounts generally convey during a sale since they're attached to the wall. YMMV depending on where you live. TV mounts in my area generally convey.

They're cheap to replace anyway, so not worth the hassle of taking them down.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Douchebag posted:

Speaking of TV mounts, should I take them down when we move out of our townhouse? 3 total in the unit. Removing them likely messes/rips the paint off the wall, we are leaning towards just leaving them.

Leave them but don't be like my rear end in a top hat PO who took the fuckin' TV-side attachments with them

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Leave them but don't be like my rear end in a top hat PO who took the fuckin' TV-side attachments with them

HA thanks, will make sure I DON'T do that.

Yeah we are going to leave them unless specifically asked to remove them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

couldcareless posted:

Disposing of a large old TV is a huge pain in the rear end unless you're lucky enough to stick it on the curb and some idiot takes it off your hands. Garbage men here don't touch them (and they shouldn't).

One of my tvs didn’t survive the trip from NH and I put it out with the bulk trash for collection and someone took it despite it visibly having a smashed screen.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I took down our tv mounts and patched the wall, they’re expensive! But we did that before putting the house on the market so the buyer wouldn’t have any expectation of getting them.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Venting a little frustration. We're under contract to buy this house with a closing date of 6/30. We submitted a request for repairs with a list of things from the inspection and cost estimates for each item and it totalled about $9500. We requested credit for just $4500. Seller comes back saying he'll fix three little things on the list - re-attach toilet, fix bathroom fan, repair hole in garage wall - and credit us only $2000. C'mon man. You really feel the need to squeeze $2,500 more out of this $800K+ deal? I'm not haggling with the guy because it takes like 2 days for them to respond to things and I really don't want to push the closing date over $2,500. I'm certainly not blowing up this deal over that amount of money. So stupid and frustrating.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Tristesse posted:

My PO left us a garage full of garbage including kitchen trash sitting in open bags that spilled everywhere, and a several trash bags of used diapers. Trash pickup was the day before closing.

They also left a gas grill filled with wasps in the backyard.

Still glad we didn't need to move immediately.

This is why you do the final walkthrough on the way to signing. If my PO had done that I'd have refused to sign anything until the literal poo poo was taken care of.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

SpartanIvy posted:

This is why you do the final walkthrough on the way to signing. If my PO had done that I'd have refused to sign anything until the literal poo poo was taken care of.

Absolutely, and if your contract is any good, seller is in breach if they pull this crap. Last-minute pre-closing threats carry a lot of weight when the seller is in the wrong.

"Broom clean" is the typical phrase, but generally your contract should oblige the seller to remove all their junk and leave it relatively clean. Incidentally my state's standard contract doesn't use that phrase, but it does specify that seller is required to take their poo poo and leave the place clear of garbage and debris.

Poopelyse posted:

Venting a little frustration. We're under contract to buy this house with a closing date of 6/30. We submitted a request for repairs with a list of things from the inspection and cost estimates for each item and it totalled about $9500. We requested credit for just $4500. Seller comes back saying he'll fix three little things on the list - re-attach toilet, fix bathroom fan, repair hole in garage wall - and credit us only $2000. C'mon man. You really feel the need to squeeze $2,500 more out of this $800K+ deal? I'm not haggling with the guy because it takes like 2 days for them to respond to things and I really don't want to push the closing date over $2,500. I'm certainly not blowing up this deal over that amount of money. So stupid and frustrating.

thread title.txt

Unfortunately seller has a lot of power in this market. Even 6 years ago we had probably $1k worth of poo poo from the inspection, and all the seller did was address any token items and any legal items (e.g. a GFCI that wasn't working).

But they know you won't walk over this stuff right now, and they don't want to cave immediately, so they're doing the minimum they feel is necessary to get you to close.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Signed papers earlier, then wired money from my bank. Had a little panic moment when the bank lady saw my out of state license and started telling me she couldn't do a transfer but then she saw my debit card, and then it's ok I guess??

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

remigious posted:

I took down our tv mounts and patched the wall, they’re expensive! But we did that before putting the house on the market so the buyer wouldn’t have any expectation of getting them.

I can totally get just not wanting to though, one less thing on an already long list of poo poo to do. iirc even pretty good ones are only $120

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I stopped maintaining my home years ago, it's tripled in value since I bought it so who cares right

california boomer spotted

"who needs termite treatment? that's next owner's problem"

bottom plates are competely clapped out

sells for $200k over ask

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I could replace this heater/AC that was installed some time in the 1980s, or, I could just keep replacing parts for $150 at a time every three years.

I could spend an inordinate amount of time insulating the walls of this house, which involves tearing out the drywall on every exterior wall so a vapor barrier can be applied from the inside before adding insulation. Or, I could... not do that, since it won't add one red cent to my property value.

etc. etc. etc.

Fortunately there's no termite damage anywhere. That's one thing we're kinda paranoid about. One time we saw a swarm of termites emerging from the ground in the back corner of the back yard and we staked out the entire yard to make sure they couldn't migrate toward the house, and I crawled around in the crawlspace inspecting every part of the sill plate and foundation walls, and then we got an expert out to confirm just to be sure. I don't gently caress around with termites!

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have all but closed on my house sale. For context, I'm in the UK so we have the whole chain thing (related sales) which makes the process slightly different but everyone involved still manages to be deeply stupid.

When I accepted the offer, I was informed that the chain looked like this: Cash buyer (super eager to close) -> dude -> me
Nice and simple so even though I had a number of first time buyers I was happy with a seemingly small and uncomplicated chain as he did offer a touch more than anyone else.

Everything was going swimmingly until I mentioned in this thread that dude was actually a divorcing couple and ex wife was actually going to use her proceeds to buy cash buyers house which made the chain a bit longer. I was now wary of the guy as I suspect he told me he had a cash buyer to make himself appeal as a buyer in a very competitive market. At this point I had reserved a new build property that comes with a deadline for exchange so I just had to roll with it.

Fast forward to this week...I could type out a long and complicated story but essentially the interesting part at the end is that dude was pushing for the 24th but got told to be realistic and is now pushing to close on the 30th (we were 'ready' as Tuesday this week, so relatively short notice), but all the solicitors have agreed to close in 3 weeks time.... despite this agreement, dude is continuing to ring everyone and try and get the 30th. No one understands why.

Dude rang me and told me that he needed that date because a document expires on that date (abridged story: we know that's a lie) and when I said I am not chasing my solicitor, you need to contact yours he then escalated by calling my estate agents and telling them he needed to close on the 30th as his buyer needed that date - so he is changing his story but we all already knew his buyer accepted a mid July date so that was a lie too.

The solicitor can only agree to the date if his client has said it's ok, so I can only assume the ex wife has said the real date of the 14th is fine and the solicitor is probably continuing to say to this dude, you're totally crazy talking about the 30th.

I am pleased all the solicitors have a date that we can close on, but we just have to wait a week or so to exchange legal contracts and lock it down. I'll be very pleased once we reach that point.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

SpartanIvy posted:

I did this when the seller left a bunch of chemicals and the sellers agent put it all in his pickup truck because he didn't want to lose the sale.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Decided we're going to back out on the car if it shows up within the next month. It'll probably be here next week, so I'll get my name on another. Lender insists it's absolutely not necessary but it was stressing me out so it's just better overall for that aspect.

Whoever told me to do the burner number and email was a genius. People are getting aggressive trying to get my business. It's also handy for the homeowners insurance quotes.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

fknlo posted:

Decided we're going to back out on the car if it shows up within the next month. It'll probably be here next week, so I'll get my name on another. Lender insists it's absolutely not necessary but it was stressing me out so it's just better overall for that aspect.

Whoever told me to do the burner number and email was a genius. People are getting aggressive trying to get my business. It's also handy for the homeowners insurance quotes.

Good call. As was noted, the lender doesn't have your best interests as a primary concern, so avoid anything that makes the dumb any thicker.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

nnnotime posted:

I picked a bad year to have a new home built. The new home will be completed in about four months and I don't have a rate locked in, yet. I likely won't know the offered mortgage rate until the construction is finished later this year.

What options should I consider to try to get the mortgage rate down? The house was purchased for $450K, and got a $5K discount for applying for the mortgage with the builder's lender.

1) 15-year mortgage instead of 30-year
2) Purchase discount points - if so, how many? I hope to live in this home for a long time and retire in it.
3) Bigger down payment than 20%: that action would not reduce the loan rate, but would yield a lower monthly payment and debt-load
4) Any other options at closing to reduce the rate?

I have bought a less-expensive townhome before, when rates were lower, but never considered discount points or other options at that time. I did refinance the mortgage one time by a 1/2 percent, which reduced my monthly payment by almost $150.00.

Why cant you lock your rate? Im in the same boat as you, finishing in about 5 months. I locked at 5% back in March against goon advice. I expect rates to be at 7-8% when the house finishes. The cost was roughly 3k, which ends up being a credit on the closing costs.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Just did our closing sign-a-thon. We get the keys next Thursday.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Off-topic, but I found this neat interactive map about noise. Might be helpful in your search :)

https://maps.dot.gov/BTS/NationalTransportationNoiseMap/

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Off-topic, but I found this neat interactive map about noise. Might be helpful in your search :)

https://maps.dot.gov/BTS/NationalTransportationNoiseMap/

This map is helpful, but it is far from perfect. I'm in a train-heavy city and it only shows commuter rails as sources of noise. The multiple and giant freight train yards do not even register on it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SpartanIvy posted:

This map is helpful, but it is far from perfect. I'm in a train-heavy city and it only shows commuter rails as sources of noise. The multiple and giant freight train yards do not even register on it.

I don't hear the train by my house until it blows the horn. Which is often. I don't even notice it at this point though.

My biggest noise driver are the air handling units on the commercial building across the street. Those things hum!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

SpartanIvy posted:

yeah it's not close to perfect, but I wasn't able to find much better.

https://www.rentlingo.com/noise-index

maybe? I don't know if it's my browser but I don't even see a legend

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

lol @ me

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
We closed on our house a month ago and have been living here for over a week. It’s out in the boonies but it’s me and Mrs. Rotten’s dream home.
Early on I knew getting internet might be an issue, the PO’s had lovely old dsl but that’s better than nothing so it’s whatever. I contacted the ISP and they’re currently not accepting new accounts due to being maxed out in this area. I told them that there is already service here and I’d be happy to take it over. Ended up getting into contact with the PO and we three way called the ISP to transfer the account. Radio silence now from ISP and after being on hold for 30 min I get told I can’t even check status of the transfer without the PO’s account info.
Here’s the rub.
We’ve been dealing with the PO a few times and while we like them, the few times we’ve talked with them, they always say “So can we have our house back?”
Apparently they weren’t ready to sell and so they wish they hadn’t yet. I need to contact them to check on the ISP transfer, but don’t want to deal with them anymore. I totally get why they’re bummed and I feel for them but uh what do you even say to that.
Guess I’m just mainly venting that my only option right now is garbage satellite internet (or dial up?).
I’m on the waitlist for starlink, as much as I’m loathe to give musk any money. And that may not even be till sometime next year.
Also I only get decent cell reception late at night, or if I walk to the end of the driveway past all the trees so that’s not an option.
Sorry, :justpost: ‘ing

Rotten fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 27, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So an all-cash house flipper bought a friend's childhood home a little while ago and spent 3 weeks doing the following things:

- Paint the nice classic-brick fireplace white
- Paint the cherry kitchen cabinets white
- Remove all of the shutters
- Remove all of the blinds
- Replace all of the ceiling fans with ugly little light fixtures
- Put recessed lights in every room
- Replace every mature, carefully-manicured plant with tiny tree saplings from home depot
- Remove the productive 60 year-old stone raised garden beds along the perimeter wall of the lot, replaced with simple dirt on the ground and more tree saplings

This is in Phoenix. Even the cheapest, shittiest apartments have ceiling fans and blinds. So many just baffling decisions. A month after the deal closed they tried to list at a $400k premium over what they paid. A month after that they're down to a $50k premium.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Rotten posted:

Apparently they weren’t ready to sell and so they wish they hadn’t yet.

Explain pls

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

It’s an older couple who actually builds houses for a living and this is the house they built and lived in for the past 15 or so years (it’s super nice). The wife has some really bad health issues so they bought a huge gently caress off RV and are going to retire with the money from selling their house and go drive around the country.
The RV isn’t ready yet so they had to move into their truck camper. They also still need to finish building a house in this area, so now they have to commute like an hour and a half from where their camper is parked at their daughters house. Not sure why they don’t rent something closer.
Like I said I can see where they’re coming from and feel bad for them, but I’m still not entirely sure why they put their house on the market.
Maybe they thought it would take longer to sell?
We were the only people to put an offer on it, and would have accepted a later closing date than the one they chose.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Some people just don’t know what to do in retirement and selling their home without any well thought out plans sets them adrift.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

I don’t even know where the data would come from for this.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I personally know of three couples that got dazzled by high house prices in the last year, and sold their house (because look at that huge number!) without a clear plan of what to do next. All three regret it a lot.

Conversely, one other older couple was already kind of planning on downsizing anyway, so they jumped and they seem pretty happy.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

smackfu posted:

I don’t even know where the data would come from for this.
Train tracks are like the easiest infrastructure to find data on. They are mostly old as gently caress and rarely move.

https://www.acwr.com/economic-development/rail-maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rotten posted:

The RV isn’t ready yet so they had to move into their truck camper. They also still need to finish building a house in this area, so now they have to commute like an hour and a half from where their camper is parked at their daughters house.

I know this is really out of the box thinking here but perhaps - just perhaps - drive the camper to the building site and park it there?