Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007
Dont delete and start over haha. I have a druid that can port you all around the world and can help you get some starting gear/spells and a guild to join. Let me know your character name and I'll look for you tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Waroduce posted:

1. I'm in South Quenyos which is a bit off my standard leveling path. where should I go when I hit like 10/12? I see people posting LFG's and such like 15 War LFG anywhere and I'm assuming those people have higher level chars/connections that can handle travel for them.

1b. I would be open to any advance for zone leveling path advice.

clicky reference if you prefer: https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/

The locus of activity on an early TLP is going to be the EC tunnel which to some extent defines the leveling path if you're using conventional groups. Many newbie zones have a corner of slightly higher level mobs that will take you to 10 when it really slows down and you have to start moving. If you want to stay outdoors and are in the west you want to work your way to maybe South Karana, which can accomodate someone til mid twenties. If you cross South Karana into Lake Rathetear, right at the zone line is a camp of gnolls and you see people group there like level 10-15 and climb the rest of the way in South K. If you go this route you can have someone bind you in the gypsy camp in north karana where there is also a parcel/merchant. I'd call this the anti-social path tbh.

For the social path, Most people probably do some variant of Unrest starting around 10-12, but it can be crowded. Easy to find groups though. You can move to desert of Ro in your middle teens to twenty or so. For dungeons Upper Guk (off innothule) or Solusek A (off lavastorm) are an option which will carry you to mid 20's and higher depending on group and patience for grinding. For thirties there are fewer options. Cazic Thule if you're in Southern Antonica is an option though I saw sparse grouping when I passed through there last week while leveling. Mistmoore had more activity but moving into the zone will require a group and poor pulling or crowd controlling will be punished. Those zones will take you to 40 or so, where you want to move on to LGuk or SolB. Ocean of Tears is an option but I wouldn't recommend it, everyone at the seafury cyclops is using eyes and is very aggressive.

quote:

2. Related to travel, I have 0 moneies, so I'm assuming beg or hoof it are my options currently and there are no like mounts or cute fast travel mechanics I am unaware of on a TLP?

If you're patient hoof it. At this point on the TLP there are tons of taxi porters though. /join taxi, ask in the continent channel, or /tell a druid you see thats high level on a "/who all druid 40 50" that is sitting in ecommonlands. The timed saved is worth the plat especially as you raise in level and the plat drops a little more easily.

quote:

3. I purchased a Chronos bc I have more money than time, and I want to sell it in game to fund my character's travel, pre-planar gear and general quality of life. Is this viable on a TLP? I'm assuming since no Bazaar, I should Seelo's my way over to EC tunnel? What is a decent price usually? If this is against rules or something obv I will not do it, but it seemed like Daybreak is cool with hit.

Yeah this is probably (one of the main) intended purpose of krono tbh. Easiest to move on tunnel, the krono buyers/sellers usually sitting around Shady Swashbuckler in center of tunnel cave. You should expect the price to increase over time on early tlp. People are haggling somewhere around 2500 right now, it depends on how much of a hurry you're in. I bought my last one on 6/22 for 2700, I may have slightly over paid because I wasn't interested in sitting in tunnel. But the longer you wait you expect that to edge up and occasionally jump, though it can fall again when the server plateaus population wize here in a year or two. Generally, always be converting your plat to krono at appropriate junctures that you don't need it for gear or spells.

quote:

3a. Related to purchasing items is there any like....items sold tracker or stuff that I can utilize for price checking or not without the bazaar?

https://araduneauctions.net/

quote:

4. What in the gently caress is up with the advanced loot tool? It's a wonderful feature and best I can intuit I've currently got it set to only pop on new items which I than can filter via Need, Greed, AN, AG and some other options. Is Need/Greed session/group specific and AN/AG is like...forever if it drops again? Is there a little guide or FAQ related to this floating around anywhere?

It can be a pain to learn but advanced loot is The Way. Generally if it stacks default to always need. Most people set everything to always need and then never look at their window again until a no drop item forces them to. Usually don't get those to AN, someone will get grumpy if you accidentally loot a no drop. If you don't have good bags, be careful about setting junk that doesnt stack to AN, like rusty weapons, etc. Those will eventually be set to Never for most people.

If your bags are full and you're overwhelmed w/ loot until you see a merchant, Click off "Apply filters" and it'll stop filling your bags and your cursor until you turn it back on.

Have fun.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Snotty By Nature posted:

Dont delete and start over haha. I have a druid that can port you all around the world and can help you get some starting gear/spells and a guild to join. Let me know your character name and I'll look for you tonight!

my name is: Waro

Thanks bud! I'll be around after a fam dinner kickin off around 5PM EST

Yiggy posted:

clicky reference if you prefer: https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/

The locus of activity on an early TLP is going to be the EC tunnel which to some extent defines the leveling path if you're using conventional groups. Many newbie zones have a corner of slightly higher level mobs that will take you to 10 when it really slows down and you have to start moving. If you want to stay outdoors and are in the west you want to work your way to maybe South Karana, which can accomodate someone til mid twenties. If you cross South Karana into Lake Rathetear, right at the zone line is a camp of gnolls and you see people group there like level 10-15 and climb the rest of the way in South K. If you go this route you can have someone bind you in the gypsy camp in north karana where there is also a parcel/merchant. I'd call this the anti-social path tbh.

For the social path, Most people probably do some variant of Unrest starting around 10-12, but it can be crowded. Easy to find groups though. You can move to desert of Ro in your middle teens to twenty or so. For dungeons Upper Guk (off innothule) or Solusek A (off lavastorm) are an option which will carry you to mid 20's and higher depending on group and patience for grinding. For thirties there are fewer options. Cazic Thule if you're in Southern Antonica is an option though I saw sparse grouping when I passed through there last week while leveling. Mistmoore had more activity but moving into the zone will require a group and poor pulling or crowd controlling will be punished. Those zones will take you to 40 or so, where you want to move on to LGuk or SolB. Ocean of Tears is an option but I wouldn't recommend it, everyone at the seafury cyclops is using eyes and is very aggressive.

If you're patient hoof it. At this point on the TLP there are tons of taxi porters though. /join taxi, ask in the continent channel, or /tell a druid you see thats high level on a "/who all druid 40 50" that is sitting in ecommonlands. The timed saved is worth the plat especially as you raise in level and the plat drops a little more easily.

Yeah this is probably (one of the main) intended purpose of krono tbh. Easiest to move on tunnel, the krono buyers/sellers usually sitting around Shady Swashbuckler in center of tunnel cave. You should expect the price to increase over time on early tlp. People are haggling somewhere around 2500 right now, it depends on how much of a hurry you're in. I bought my last one on 6/22 for 2700, I may have slightly over paid because I wasn't interested in sitting in tunnel. But the longer you wait you expect that to edge up and occasionally jump, though it can fall again when the server plateaus population wize here in a year or two. Generally, always be converting your plat to krono at appropriate junctures that you don't need it for gear or spells.

https://araduneauctions.net/

It can be a pain to learn but advanced loot is The Way. Generally if it stacks default to always need. Most people set everything to always need and then never look at their window again until a no drop item forces them to. Usually don't get those to AN, someone will get grumpy if you accidentally loot a no drop. If you don't have good bags, be careful about setting junk that doesnt stack to AN, like rusty weapons, etc. Those will eventually be set to Never for most people.

If your bags are full and you're overwhelmed w/ loot until you see a merchant, Click off "Apply filters" and it'll stop filling your bags and your cursor until you turn it back on.

Have fun.

Omg thank you so much for all this! I'll def do the social path and I guess make the run to EC, sell my chrono, buy whatever end game pre-planar gear is floating around i can equip and than make my way to unrest and swing by GFAY to grab my level 8 mezz

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
You're a bard? Buy like, banded armor, a mistmoore (or better?) drum and a lute. Bard melee dps is too low to make spending tons of plat on weapons worthwhile.

Maybe it's better these days but in classic, bard songs are split up between, like, Erudin, Qeynos, Freeport, Highkeep and Gfay. Some of the songs are traps but it might be worth checking before you leave the Qeynos area. Though, you can always use the shared bank to get around most of this.

suuma fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 26, 2022

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

suuma posted:

You're a bard? Buy like, banded armor, a mistmoore (or better?) drum and a lute. Bard melee dps is too low to make spending tons of plat on weapons worthwhile.

Maybe it's better these days but in classic, bard songs are split up between, like, Erudin, Qeynos, Freeport, Highkeep and Gfay. Some of the songs are traps but it might be worth checking before you leave the Qeynos area. Though, you can always use the shared bank to get around most of this.

Gold or maybe platinum fire opal rings. Maybe some notable cha items in neck, etc.

The big guide poster forgot to mention: you can basically do unrest from 10 to 35. After the courtyard, you can move into main room around 15-17, fireplace at 20+ and basement at 25 iirc. It's a great place for chainmail (worse than banded) and low level magic item drops.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Oh, yeah. Good call, the HP rings. I don't think charisma does anything for bard anymore? They normalized it for Enchanter charm.

Unrest basement is a pain though, those mobs are annoying. I always just went to Guk at that point.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm going to target Pre-Planar and T1- Planar gear off this so hopefully its not too far off the mark, open to any feedback: https://wiki.project1999.com/Bard#Pre-Planar

I recall Bards generally needing a bunch of resist at the high end so you yourself don't get feared or charmed.

I found myself off-tanking quite a bit in my group despite not casting damage songs bc I guess what I am playing (war chant, healing) is pulling lots of aggro so I was going to target some of the basic pre-planar stuff with alot of +HP/AC. Do some bargain basement shopping for that easy stuff like the weddings bands or anything off that list thats in that 100-300 pp zone so i can kit myself out.

I should be on sometime between 8 and 9 EST for a few hours and my plan in no particular order is ping snotty, hoof it to the tunnel, sell chrono, buy whatever stuff i can swing off that list and hoof it over to unrest probly until mid teens than hitting guk/solA.

if anyone else might be around with some low level alts maybe we can do some shenanigans

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the server wide channel still used?

Edit: I just started n Ogre Shaman on Yelinak. Name is Tropic. Time to get addicted to EQ again and then quit in a few months!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

RCarr posted:

Is the server wide channel still used?

Edit: I just started n Ogre Shaman on Yelinak. Name is Tropic. Time to get addicted to EQ again and then quit in a few months!

Maybe we can duo in ecommons or something

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Maybe we can duo in ecommons or something

I’m down. I’m in EC right now, only level two at the moment. You gonna be playing tonight?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

RCarr posted:

I’m down. I’m in EC right now, only level two at the moment. You gonna be playing tonight?
RIGHT NOW

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

RIGHT NOW

Sweet. I had to run some errands but hopefully I’ll be on within the hour.

What level are you at now?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 27, 2022

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Waroduce posted:

RIGHT NOW

Just curious, are you on YouTube? I watch a lot of MMO content and it suggested a video the other day, with someone trying p99 for the first time and talking about how terrible it was, lol. The p99 sign up and starting sucked, but most of it was "lol welcome to EverQuest my dude" stuff, that was answered back in the manual, when we used those before everything had in game tutorials, lol.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I thought the character name was your user name. If it was you, sounds like you got over the hump after all!

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Never really raided in EQ before.

Raiding on a druid, in a decent sized guild using DKP.

Ive spent ~24 hours total in raids(3 hours a night, couple nights a week).

I've gotten a Vermiculited bracer(BIS for druids in classic). And thats it.

Any DKP bid item Ive lost out on. We dont bid on trash mob armor(like the bracer), its just a /random with everyone from that class.

Is it always this lovely for time spent vs loot? Or am I in a lovely guild?

Basically I could have spent those 24 hours in any loot camp and made a few krono. Feel like this kinda sucks.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Raid gearing w/ dkp is sort of a long game. You have to build up a solid bidding position and plan your purchases a little carefully. You don’t want to spend a whole lot of dkp on things which will be forcibly upgraded in the next xpac or two. It’s also tough in the early expansions because there is a lot of churn. There is always some jabrone w/ 15-20 dkp happy to bid you up on the low end and on the high end you never know when you’re bidding against people willing to dump their dkp on a toon that’s destined for ectunnel/RMT.

You almost want to be saving up for a bidding position in velious or luclin. And once in a solid position look for cheap buys which are usually later in the expansion.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Plus there’s barely any raid gear till velious. What are you hoping to get exactly?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
The key is to get by on fumes and stockpile the dkp till Vex Thal in Luclin and Plane of Time in PoP.
Make sure to heal people a lot and use that as an excuse for low damage output.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Don't spend dkp on planar gear, at least not the class armor. Take a group to fear or hate and get to farming :c00lbert:

E: nevermind i can't read

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Malaria posted:

I am so sorry.

I hope it’s less of a soul destroying experience for you than it was for me in 2003.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Malaria posted:

Never really raided in EQ before.

Ive spent ~24 hours total in raids(3 hours a night, couple nights a week).

I've gotten a Vermiculited bracer(BIS for druids in classic). And thats it.

Any DKP bid item Ive lost out on. We dont bid on trash mob armor(like the bracer), its just a /random with everyone from that class.

Basically I could have spent those 24 hours in any loot camp and made a few krono. Feel like this kinda sucks.

Vermiculated bracer is one of the good ones, right? +7 wisdom bracer? That's good till velious. As a druid, you don't really need much beyond more mana.

People posted already, but in classic, the only things you would actually want to big on are WR bags, white dragon scale cloak, tobrin's eye patch (maybe), innoruuk race drop (maybe) and probably a couple other key items that are class specific fear/hate drops. There's just not a lot of drops to go around in classic besides corrd. Don't you dare bid on that druid 2hander from cazic.

Checkout sky, it varies by class, but some of those items are bonkerz until velious or provide a benefit you don't get otherwise.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Snotty By Nature posted:

It you decide to try out Yelinak, I have a 50 Druid there and can help you get started. The true box TLPs are what you’re looking for. Not p99.

Shoutout to this selfless person who helped me get from 1-20 my first day on Yelinak. You are the man. Thank you again.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Vermiculated bracer is one of the good ones, right? +7 wisdom bracer? That's good till velious. As a druid, you don't really need much beyond more mana.

People posted already, but in classic, the only things you would actually want to big on are WR bags, white dragon scale cloak, tobrin's eye patch (maybe), innoruuk race drop (maybe) and probably a couple other key items that are class specific fear/hate drops. There's just not a lot of drops to go around in classic besides corrd. Don't you dare bid on that druid 2hander from cazic.

Checkout sky, it varies by class, but some of those items are bonkerz until velious or provide a benefit you don't get otherwise.

Yeah Verm Bracer is one of the best planar armour drops.

Other things you'd want and last quite a while - Cloak of Flames, Runed Bolster Belt? My memory on gearing pre-Luclin is hazy. Then there's other class-specific stuff you'd want to get like monks doing the Robe of the Lost Circle and maybe getting all the components ready for a second robe if you want to be hardcore since iirc the clicky robe you get as part of epic but give up before final item stacks with the epic clicky.

And yeah having one bracer to show for 24 hours of raiding isn't great even by classic era. I'm a non-raiding member of a raid guild who has spent maybe eight hours on fear/hate clears and have gotten three planar items from it.

Edit: I realise the question was about raid content so the monk stuff isn't quite on-point, but I was thinking more broadly.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 27, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Just curious, are you on YouTube? I watch a lot of MMO content and it suggested a video the other day, with someone trying p99 for the first time and talking about how terrible it was, lol. The p99 sign up and starting sucked, but most of it was "lol welcome to EverQuest my dude" stuff, that was answered back in the manual, when we used those before everything had in game tutorials, lol.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I thought the character name was your user name. If it was you, sounds like you got over the hump after all!

I am most def not on youtube and I am not that guy. I am familiar with the suck (and sock) and ready to embrace it but the QoL changes made to live are pretty wonderful TBH. I know the video your talking about and was super surprised his name was so close to mine, I've never run into that before

Coming back has been pretty interesting, I remember like really random things like how to get from the druid port to EC tunnel entrance and the specific path to the bank in Kelethin. I don't recall how to interact with all the things at a UI level and I haven't even started screwing with macros or anything yet apart from /assist and the basics of Melody.

Yiggy posted:

Raid gearing w/ dkp is sort of a long game. You have to build up a solid bidding position and plan your purchases a little carefully. You don’t want to spend a whole lot of dkp on things which will be forcibly upgraded in the next xpac or two. It’s also tough in the early expansions because there is a lot of churn. There is always some jabrone w/ 15-20 dkp happy to bid you up on the low end and on the high end you never know when you’re bidding against people willing to dump their dkp on a toon that’s destined for ectunnel/RMT.

You almost want to be saving up for a bidding position in velious or luclin. And once in a solid position look for cheap buys which are usually later in the expansion.

This was helpful, I've forgotten so much about DKP and such. I'm going to aim to buy things that will let me get into Fear and Hate and just go from there. I don't remember anything about Planar/Kunark/Velious gearing tbh apart from Fungi Tunic and big ticket things like that.

Not sure what I'll be like during the week but hopefully will be able to hop on a bit and plan on this weekend as well. Planning on kicking around Unrest till late teens/20 and than probably go frolic over to Guk? I didn't realize Kunark opened so recently. I don't think any of those zones are super attractive to me right now at my current level and thirst for EXP, but maybe 30s-40s ish.

PS:
Snotty by Nature - big thanks to spending a few hours last night powerleving RCarr and I in unrest. I think I went from 7 to about 15 before I had to sleep! Thank you so much dude.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Malaria posted:

Yes, usually. If you're looking for sick + fast upgrades raids are not it, not when theres 50+ people and bosses drop like 3-5 items, and most of them suck. It's more for the challenge + teamwork + getting things you can't get anywhere else. The way you know you're in a poo poo guild is, if (for example) you know one of your fellow druids already has 2 of those bracers, and wins a 3rd, and you ask if you can have it, the answer is 'no'. Greedy / selfish guildmates is no good.

also tho classic + kunark just suck poo poo in terms of raid loot, aside from a few notable exceptions you probably just want to save your DKP for the future.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is anyone else in the 10-25ish window? Im 15 or 16, I think RCar is 20 we could get a proper lowbie group going for some shenanigan's.

I'll be on by 10PM through midnight EST probably tonight. Same window Wed probably. Tomorrow is a little hit or miss as I may or may not get pinged to do a Destiny raid.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I feel like only thing worth spending dkp on in classic is Shield of the Immaculate. Still clicking it in PoR.

On aradune I spent a bunch of dkp in velious and luclin and entered PoP well geared and prepared to attack content. Which helped, and it was nice for finishing things like aid grimmel and PoTime to not be poverty geared. But all of that got replaced fairly quickly in PoP with a handful of exceptions.

In Velious there are a lot of maintenance buys that melees will probably want to do. For instance a good haste item from NTOV, a decent weapon to upgrade your 1.0 with maybe. If you’re a monk try and go for broke one am Abashi’s maybe. Almost everything else is forgettable tho. If you’re not a tank you can be patient with gearing.

Luclin things sort of get interesting. There are some forever items interspersed with the replaceable fodder. But like, a lot of times I wasn’t looking at the loot that way when I was bidding on it on my first tlp play through. I ended up having to pick up the important stuff on plat raids and small grouping. But if I played through again I would probably be more focused on those things like the tradeskill mods and crucial clickies.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

it's been awhile since i raided in eq with dkp but a good strat is to communicate with your loot competition and make secret agreements to avoid bidding wars

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

blatman posted:

it's been awhile since i raided in eq with dkp but a good strat is to communicate with your loot competition and make secret agreements to avoid bidding wars

This is the real answer to dkp. Unionize with your fellow classmates / competition, burn DKP to the ground in a systematic function. Then go all-in on a crazy powerful Velious / luclin item you cannot live without. DKP is 100% a long play, and yeah I really cannot echo enough raids aren’t about gearing, especially for a non-tank or cleric early on.

Most guilds planning to be around long term will funnel all worthwhile priest gear to main clerics first, or encourage other priests to allow clerics to roll first because without their mana pool you can’t do kunark and velious targets easily. Cheal is a crutch that keeps you clearing targets beyond your reach for a long time in classic era, so likewise expect every Flowing Thought item to be bought by them. If you do compete against clerics for “healing upgrades” you should be competitive on the healing parse on fights where it matters.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

I think things like colluding with buddies and saving and finding the moment to strike and thinking about what item is best for who are all solid ideals in a dkp generally that are at times seriously challenged and complicated by the compacted gearing cycle and general nature of TLPs.

Your DKP guild is essentially just a gear marketplace of sorts. And you don’t know when it’ll collapse or necessarily the motivations of the other participants. You will get rival crews that bid each other up. There are a limited number of raids in era, and RNG/the loot table can really screw a raid group on certain items. Colluding is well and good but what if you agree to low bid with someone, they get theirs first. The next never drops. They’re gone next xpac. You were the greater fool. I’ve seen it happen! You can also bid big on an item, blow your load. And it drops 12 more times and starts rotting! Seem that too.

It’s a judgement call and a lot of it depends on how much your trust the other people you’re bidding against/gearing with and how long you think the train will stay together. As an example, my aradune guild folded at beginning of PoR. There was one raid to blow the dkp before the sheet disappeared and they merged somewhere else. There were a lot of people who bet long who didn’t get to use their dkp v well and passed on a lot of stuff along the way. Doesn’t feel good.

I like to try and cash out as you go. Saving up too far ahead is risky. Collude with old tlp buddies but not random top parsing monk that’s gonna be gone next xpac.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The only reason to raid before Velious is to try and secure a SK or maybe monk main slot in a half decent guild.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Everyone complaining/worrying about loot makes me laugh.

Mischief, baby, we 3-4 split endgame raids each expansion within 12-48 hours after launch and everyone is coming out of the expansion with BiS or near BiS for their mains+boxes, it's crazy.

mobs drop 8-16 items or something crazy sometimes. Most often on (standard) 3 drop mobs, you'll end up with 6 drops.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MF_James posted:

Everyone complaining/worrying about loot makes me laugh.

Mischief, baby, we 3-4 split endgame raids each expansion within 12-48 hours after launch and everyone is coming out of the expansion with BiS or near BiS for their mains+boxes, it's crazy.

mobs drop 8-16 items or something crazy sometimes. Most often on (standard) 3 drop mobs, you'll end up with 6 drops.

This sounds like the best way to play in modern times. How active is the server for a newcomer?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bottom Liner posted:

This sounds like the best way to play in modern times. How active is the server for a newcomer?

There are like 20 raiding guilds right now?

This is the first TLP I've played since sleeper/combine and I quit those before we got out of classic (classic is so loving awful to play through), but from talking to everyone in my guild that has been playing non-stop for 20 years this is the most active and healthy TLP there has ever been in the OoW era.

You will probably have trouble finding groups to level up to 70, so I would definitely box something or perhaps pay for a PL, but lots of folks are LFG during prime time and even non-prime time at 65+

You can also buy (almost) anything since it has FV loot rules, so, if you wanted, you could buy anguish gear immediately.

*edit*

Honestly, the biggest problem with mischief is we are getting TOO much loot, we are bidding 180+ items at the end of the night, the website we use can only handle bidding out like 15-20 items at a time; sometimes we spend longer bidding than we do actually raiding.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah I'm not terribly interested in raiding but more solo and group farms and trading my way up to better gear.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

For real you guys broke opendkp when LDoN opened. Took them a week or so to fix it, I was having to go back on off hours to finish up the raid bookkeeping.

The abundance of loot feels like it would accelerate how pointless the content becomes. When we got too much of certain items and things rot and go to alts our attendance would suffer. Feels like on some level people need a reason to want to keep coming. I suppose everything can be sold on mischief so that gives extra loot some currency. Being unfamiliar with the economy there, how quickly do the prices tank?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Mischief is the perfect TLP ruleset. Unfortunately it’s already deep into the bad expansions.

2023 Mischief clone TLP gonna be awesome.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

My best guess is mischief is an experiment to see if they can bribe people with pixels to stop them from quitting. Surprised they didn’t reduce any of the level 70 expansions there. 5 months of anguish/mpg as the premiere source of loot is god awful

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I'm not terribly interested in raiding but more solo and group farms and trading my way up to better gear.

you can do this, but, group loot is essentially worthless due to raid loot abundance and free trade, so you need to find the good farms to make money, like when OoW dropped, spell runes were going for a lot to start, tradeable epic items for 1.5/2.0 etc. This stuff is very possible though. Not sure why you have no interest in raiding, but, in case you think it's some MASSIVE time investment, we spend 2 hours 2 nights a week raiding currently (and then spend 2 hours bidding out items via a webpage).

Yiggy posted:

For real you guys broke opendkp when LDoN opened. Took them a week or so to fix it, I was having to go back on off hours to finish up the raid bookkeeping.

The abundance of loot feels like it would accelerate how pointless the content becomes. When we got too much of certain items and things rot and go to alts our attendance would suffer. Feels like on some level people need a reason to want to keep coming. I suppose everything can be sold on mischief so that gives extra loot some currency. Being unfamiliar with the economy there, how quickly do the prices tank?

Yeah, OpenDKP does not scale well at all because whoever created it made some very very very poor/rookie decisions, someone in our guild is actually building a new tool so we can handle loot more easily.

As for the prices/market that's a sort of subjective thing? Let's take OoW (and similar things happened in previous expacs) spells right off the bat go for 1/4-1/2 a krono, but drop steeply over the first week because you get SO MANY RUNES. Your anguish BP items? Saw folks selling it after 2-3 days for 10-12kr and they are probably 3-4kr still at least, again I don't really pay a ton of attention because I have like 4-5kr worth of plat and I get all my gear from raids/small man stuff. I would say anything but BiS/forever items will drop VERY sharply within the first week and basically hit their low within 2-3 weeks, whereas the top items will slowly go down over the course of the expac and and drop sharply at the end (unless it's a forever item like abashi/TA then the prices generally goes back up when the next expac releases).

As for attendance, our GL/officers are doing a good job keeping folks interested by doing fun things during raids and challenges and such. Most folks in the guild (I'd say... 80-90%) play at least a main+box, boxes take a bit longer to gear up via DKP so helps keep people around, many folks also bring a 3rd or more characters, so that's even longer to gear up (though some of them are folks sitting on hundreds of krono and they'll buy alts gear and poo poo as prices drop). Anyway, our attendance so far has been pretty good until the very end of expansions.

We have generally consolidated into 2 splits (might be 3 for OoW) the last 1-2 weeks of the expansion, so everyone just plays their main and we just steamroll the content, chill, bullshit and generally take it easy in preparation for the rush of the next expac.

OoW/DoN/DoDH are decent expansions, they introduce actual raid mechanics and will start to weed out the mouth breathers (especially DoDH). I hated PoR on live so I'm sure it won't be any better here, but TSS/TBS were good and I'm very much looking forward to stuff after that like SoD and HoT.

Honestly I have ZERO loving clue how anyone can play classic->kunark->velious ad infinitum because that poo poo is so loving boring, especially classic but holy gently caress does NToV suck dick, fighting dragons for 20-30 minutes where the only mechanic is press autoattack and make sure you have MR buffs so you get feared less is awful.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 27, 2022

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It's weird reading people put down DKP. I've been in loot council guilds back in 99-02, P99 during Kunark, and on Phinny. I was even *on* the council for my first guild in Phinny. Loot council is goddamn miserable for all involved - officers and regular members.

My next two guilds on Phinny ran DKP, and while they both did it a little differently, and both were large guilds, it was soooo much better.

As others said though - for classic, most gear is trash anyways. Kunark, it's just epics. Velious is when you get real raid loot.

Then being on a TLP - everyone knows what they're doing now. That plus some power creep means the fights are easy. One of my guilds did do a thing where, if we had stalled on progression a little bit, tanks would get a discount on visible pieces or something, until we were comfortable. It was never a big deal, and it never lasted long, even then. (Also, our tanks weren't great).

Larger guilds will split. Boxes will be getting loot before you know it. As the TLP goes on, the group content gets nicely laid out too, and it's very easy to backfill a few pieces if you need. Augs become more important and they're just all over the place (raids, groups, quests, etc). Raid loot drops like candy, so long as your guild isn't trash tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Mischief is the perfect TLP ruleset. Unfortunately it’s already deep into the bad expansions.

2023 Mischief clone TLP gonna be awesome.

Vaniki has double drop rates on mobs and permanent 50% boost to rares. GoD is unlocked, so the exp rates are boosted versus a normal TLP. Most AAs will autogrant up until characters are around 75 or 80.

The level locking thing is a dick waving contest for the most part. I’ve been going ultra casual with friends and it’s been great gearing through quests and zones that people wouldn’t even consider going to in the normal progression.

Not perfect, but a decent enough place if you want TLP, but a little bit faster.