Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Palpatine already has every alternate universe taken into account in his Plans

There is no path that can be taken which fails to end in Palpatine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lampsacus posted:

Calling it now, star wars from now on will be using the same characters in the same starwalker saga for the next decade under the guise of parallel universes to justify redoing variations of the same dead horse story.

It's at least more interesting than endless interquels and side stories about background characters. Which is probably what they're going to keep doing instead.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Just Chamber posted:

https://screenrant.com/obi-wan-kenobi-lightsabers-glow-dark-lighting-problem/

So this article is too long but I skimmed through it and whoever was responsible for Obi Wan was lazy and chose to film the lightsabers in a way that not only looks awful but was unfixable in any sort of post production. Which sums up the laziness of the production for the whole series.

This made a lot of things clearer - well, except for the footage.

As someone else asked - why didn't they catch this with test footage?

But, of course, there was no test footage. Just Disney tossing down a bowl of gruel in front of us, saying "Here's you slop, you'll eat it and like it."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But, of course, there was no test footage. Just Disney tossing down a bowl of gruel in front of us, saying "Here's you slop, you'll eat it and like it."

I'm guessing the pre-vis animatics couldn't show what would happen with bright LEDs in dark areas

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drunk in Space posted:

There's that one Perry Bible Fellowship comic about people in the far future watching a movie about WW2, and it's dudes riding on zebras killing Hitler with a lance, and wooden ships of the line and poo poo.

Or that Futurama episode with the history of 20th century moon travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk0esR2s_P8

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Brawnfire posted:

Palpatine already has every alternate universe taken into account in his Plans

There is no path that can be taken which fails to end in Palpatine

There is: the path where Sheev is unable to gently caress :flaccid:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even in the old EU we still had Triclops (not sure how canon he was outside that particular book series though)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm afraid my dick won't be operational when you arrive :smith:

I think someone made that joke earlier in the thread but I can't find it

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm ready for Into the Forceverse: Multiverse of Palps, where Palpatine plays multiple versions of himself: a flamboyant pianist, the Prime Minister of Canada, a phantom of the opera, one where he's played by Tilda Swinton.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Empress Tilda Swinton would loving rule.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I can't wrap my head around how bad the writing of this show was. When they didn't steal shot for shot from better animated shows and videogame cutscenes they couldn't write a character getting from point A to point B convincingly. Did Reeva have loyal stormtroopers waiting with a shuttle and bacta tank?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 26, 2022

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It’s so odd how non-memeable the show is. The prequels, poo poo as they are, are full of dialogue that can be mined a line or two at a time. The memes, love them or hate them, are part of the redemption and affection that the films have. This show though, there’s just so little.

Obi Wan’s “I will do what I must” leaped out as something you could use out of context (even though he very much did not do what he must), but most lines were so… empty, flat, insipid, mundane.

Considering that the main audience for the show is people who would be into this stuff, it’s odd how aggressively anti-memeable the material is. I think I’ve seen more from the trailer than from the show itself. Give the people what they want, holy poo poo.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Parkingtigers posted:

It’s so odd how non-memeable the show is. The prequels, poo poo as they are, are full of dialogue that can be mined a line or two at a time. The memes, love them or hate them, are part of the redemption and affection that the films have. This show though, there’s just so little.

Obi Wan’s “I will do what I must” leaped out as something you could use out of context (even though he very much did not do what he must), but most lines were so… empty, flat, insipid, mundane.

Considering that the main audience for the show is people who would be into this stuff, it’s odd how aggressively anti-memeable the material is. I think I’ve seen more from the trailer than from the show itself. Give the people what they want, holy poo poo.

Stalks up to someone "have you come to destroy me, Obi Wan"
memberable lines.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There are very few memorable lines because by and large they refrained from any character ever talking to each other about anything other than the immediate scene they were in or vague platitudes about the future.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's amusing that all of Episode 5 is about how Anakin easily gets overconfident, which allows Obi-Wan to best him, but then when he and Vader have their final confrontation in Episode 6 Obi-Wan just beats him with sheer strength. This show doesn't even take its own lessons to heart.

It would also have been better if there was less of the Obi-Wan/Leia stuff and more flashbacks to Anakin and Obi-Wan before RotS

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It should have been 6 episodes of obi spending his nights as an off work factory guy working on his Harley speeder and hanging out with his new space buds

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
All ideas are equally inferior to this

https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1522049208051650560?t=9HdKs4eEl58SOQKM9gHebg&s=19

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's amusing that all of Episode 5 is about how Anakin easily gets overconfident, which allows Obi-Wan to best him, but then when he and Vader have their final confrontation in Episode 6 Obi-Wan just beats him with sheer strength. This show doesn't even take its own lessons to heart.

It would also have been better if there was less of the Obi-Wan/Leia stuff and more flashbacks to Anakin and Obi-Wan before RotS

TBF, Anakin did just walk away from the fight when Obi-Wan was buried in the hole, but yeah after that it was just pure Obi-Power, after a montage that was like all Leia with a brief clip of Luke.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I like that a show that started with a school shooting ended with a literal child literally arming herself and talking about how that's how it's going to be from now on.

Also evidently alderaan has weapons now.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

josh04 posted:

Ewan McGregor's server room nightmare is pretty funny.

The screenrant article is probably dead on about the blue LEDs blowing out Obi-wan's face and forcing them to do all the lightsaber scenes dark and low-contrast to hide it, that seems pretty plausible. Weird that they wouldn't have spotted that in test shoots but maybe they were just that rushed.

All the way through the series everytime they lit up a lightsaber I thought this looks awful - Took awhile before I remembered - way back when I was photographing live shows, it would be a coinflip if the lighting rig was OG bulbs or a new LED setup - if it was the former, great, photos would come out just fine. If the latter, loving awful - the LED bulbs put out an incredibly narrow band of color that murders shadow and contrast and leaves almost absolutely nothing left that you can use to rebalance a shot. Pretty much exactly why Obiwan's face looked so washed out in every fight.

Also - did I miss a trick or did Reva get to Tatooine real loving quick? Stabbed and left for dead, she finds Organa's message - at this point Vader is on his shuttle heading to pick up the chase on the Star Destroyer. Then she has to find a ship in this abandoned planet, crawl aboard, fly to Tatooine, land etc - and the chase between the Pathers and the Star Destroyer is still going on; have they really been evading Vader for multiple hours? I thought maybe they were doing some slipped timeline stuff, but nope.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Durzel posted:

Obi-Wan is straight up responsible for Alderaan now, in my book. He even said that Anakin was gone, for continuity sake, so he had no reason to not finish the job this time. What a chump.

The show could have had him get ambushed by the Inquisitors or something, forcing him to retreat before he could land a killing blow, but no - it had to just retread RTS.

Vader wasn't running the Death Star, and was actively contemptuous of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

All the way through the series everytime they lit up a lightsaber I thought this looks awful - Took awhile before I remembered - way back when I was photographing live shows, it would be a coinflip if the lighting rig was OG bulbs or a new LED setup - if it was the former, great, photos would come out just fine. If the latter, loving awful - the LED bulbs put out an incredibly narrow band of color that murders shadow and contrast and leaves almost absolutely nothing left that you can use to rebalance a shot. Pretty much exactly why Obiwan's face looked so washed out in every fight.

Also - did I miss a trick or did Reva get to Tatooine real loving quick? Stabbed and left for dead, she finds Organa's message - at this point Vader is on his shuttle heading to pick up the chase on the Star Destroyer. Then she has to find a ship in this abandoned planet, crawl aboard, fly to Tatooine, land etc - and the chase between the Pathers and the Star Destroyer is still going on; have they really been evading Vader for multiple hours? I thought maybe they were doing some slipped timeline stuff, but nope.
No you didn’t miss anything. She somehow got to her ship (I assume) and made it all the way to Tatooine well before Obi-Wan did. This was all with what should have been a fatal injury.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was a bit surprised by "sword through the guts" no longer being shorthand for "absolutely loving dead"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Brawnfire posted:

I was a bit surprised by "sword through the guts" no longer being shorthand for "absolutely loving dead"

Maul survived being split in half, which if you think about it is lightsaber through the guts but all the way across.

Also this paves the way for Snoke to return, right? Right??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Maybe that's the key, you gotta follow through.

Next time you get a lightsaber in the guts, just shimmy back and forth and you'll get robot spider legs

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
These guys gotta learn that at this point you gotta double tap them Dark Side users. They just don't loving die.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anita Dickinme posted:

These guys gotta learn that at this point you gotta double tap them Dark Side users.

Didn't Vader give Reva both sabers? Still not enough!

I was half-expecting the old favourite Dooku Finisher with him set up dual wielding and her on her knees.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This applies to every live action show but why do they all look like they were run through a grey filter? Tatooine always looks so washed out like they're trying to do Villeneuve's take on Arrakis instead of it having a vibrant blue sky and shining dunes.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

2nd Amendment posted:

Also evidently alderaan has weapons now.

that really irked me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Parkingtigers posted:

Considering that the main audience for the show is people who would be into this stuff, it’s odd how aggressively anti-memeable the material is.

Because they know fans will eat it up anyway, so why try?

Sure, it might not make them as much money as word of mouth spreads, but that's money in the future. Spending cash on writing, editing and actually doing test shots with the lovely nightlight lightsabres costs money now.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought Tiny Leia was great, but still agree 100$ with this.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Spookydonut posted:

that really irked me.

I mean, I felt that line was over-the-top since i was in 5th grade. This isn't me trying to sound cool, it was a revalation that even good characters in movies can lie.

But even a cynical 4p year old can be like, "drat that's bold" which fits with the Rq interpretation but drat

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The whole show made flying between places feel like a short car ride and it made the Universe feel very small and cramped.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Penitent posted:

The whole show made flying between places feel like a short car ride and it made the Universe feel very small and cramped.

This show is not great but I don't think you can blame that kind of claustrophobia in SW on this show.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The thing is, they did do tests... in 2014 when they were filming The Force Awakens.

So they'd been using these types of sabers when filming for 7 years without issues, and probably didn't anticipate that changing with this series. The problem is The Force Awakens was filmed on 35mm, so the nighttime fight wouldn't have had the same problem as the ones in Kenobi (which used the Arri Alexa).

That being said, The Last Jedi also used digital Alexa cameras, and managed to solve it for their nighttime lightsaber sequence by filming it in brighter light and grading it down (so the LED saber itself wasn't contributing the majority of the light in the scene), and changing the shade to emit a less saturated blue/cyan color that would be easier on the digital sensor:

So it's possible they looked at what was going on in The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi, decided "yeah, we want it to look like Episode 7" and went with the more saturated sabers without taking into account the difference in cameras and production techniques.

Or maybe they did do camera tests, but decided the amount of chroma clipping was acceptable in order to achieve the look they wanted with the sabers as a light source, or assumed it could be fixed in post. There's a bunch of reasons why it might have ended up the way it did, but it's not like they're out here intentionally making bad shows - sometimes people run out of time to triple check things, or just make a mistake and don't realize until it's too lake.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Didn't Vader give Reva both sabers? Still not enough!

I was half-expecting the old favourite Dooku Finisher with him set up dual wielding and her on her knees.

It was just the one but this was exactly what I was expecting too, and was so hyped about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Brawnfire posted:

Maybe Qui-Gon was not as powerful as Sheev had foreseen.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I know this isn't exactly the right thread for it, but the only thing that Disney has in the works TV-wise from the Lucasfilm IP catalog that I'm looking forward to is the Willow TV show. That was a cool, goofy universe, and I'm glad that Warwick Davis is involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGr9eD1Y4OQ

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Of course it's the right thread - Willow is a canonical Star Wars character.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A Willrow show, did you say!?

Oh.

Some day, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Hell yes. Willow will bring back balance to the Force.