Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pham Nuwen posted:

My parents have always, as long as I can remember, referred to the remote as "the beast-minder". I have no idea where that came from.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
My grandparents called it the VTR, which I’m assuming wasn’t super common based on this discussion. :v:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Pham Nuwen posted:

My parents have always, as long as I can remember, referred to the remote as "the beast-minder". I have no idea where that came from.

This is amazing.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Dewgy posted:

My grandparents called it the VTR, which I’m assuming wasn’t super common based on this discussion. :v:

VTR is mentioned in The Buggles 'Video Killed The Radio Star' too, I think it's video tape recorder and an older tech. But I may be totally wrong.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

EdBlackadder posted:

VTR is mentioned in The Buggles 'Video Killed The Radio Star' too, I think it's video tape recorder and an older tech. But I may be totally wrong.
It's also the common Japanese term, which might have been all there was early on.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've heard VTR in a professional context, but personally it was a VCR / tape recorder and tapes, at least in late 80s early 90s oregon

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Dewgy posted:

I've never heard this term used outside of a TV production control room, it was the thing we used to record or cue Betacam and DV tapes.

edit: lol I just remembered we used these things for linear editing too and would gently caress with field recordings on spare tapes like a kind of analog YouTube poop. I was a very professional TD

R.L. Stine has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Jun 25, 2022

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Whatever the heck thing this is

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grumio posted:

A dedicated digital photo viewer.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grumio posted:

it's an eFilm PicturePAD of course

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grumio posted:

please send this to cathoderaydude on youtube thank you

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Honestly any of them would probably enjoy it. CRD, Techmoan, even LGR.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cojawfee posted:

Honestly any of them would probably enjoy it. CRD, Techmoan, even LGR.

don't send to LGR, the guy has a warehouse of stuff now that he doesn't have time to deal with.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

don't send to LGR, the guy has a warehouse of stuff now that he doesn't have time to deal with.

Contact the people first to find out if they are even interested/don't already have one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Send it to the Ate poo poo Guy. The address is easy: your nearest rubbish bin.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Keep it and make your own Youtube video about it. None of those guys need any charity :hehe:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Grumio posted:

This review doesn't really explain what this is for, but holy gently caress were these things expensive when they were new:

https://www.pcmag.com/archive/delkin-efilm-picturepad-30956

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

This review doesn't really explain what this is for, but holy gently caress were these things expensive when they were new:

quote:

20GB and a 30GB version ($549 and $649 list, respectively), and Delkin's card adapters, available from the company's Web site, currently sell for $49. This fall, Delkin will offer a 40GB version for less than $700.

dayum, I know I had a laptop that was cheaper than that around that time.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Gaius Marius posted:

You pronounce it as a word. It sounds like Vicar

This reminds me of another pet peeve where in the past 10 years, I started hearing people call the NES a "ness" and the SNES a "Super ness" or "sness".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well that's clearly wrong. It's an Ess-ness.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Lurking Haro posted:

Contact the people first to find out if they are even interested/don't already have one.

Clint is also kind enough to get back to you right away with whether or not he's interested. I've sent him some oddball Australian edutainment stuff before.

roffels posted:

This reminds me of another pet peeve where in the past 10 years, I started hearing people call the NES a "ness" and the SNES a "Super ness" or "sness".

When I was a kid it was "Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo" respectively. NES and SNES seem to be more recent, at least in my part of Australia.

Bargearse has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Jun 27, 2022

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

it's for carrying around and transferring your photos to. CF card were only like 32mb back then which was a decent amount of pictures, but what if you had more.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Rap Game Goku posted:

it's for carrying around and transferring your photos to. CF card were only like 32mb back then which was a decent amount of pictures, but what if you had more.

So basically a self contained little storage device / card reader you dump your photos to, with a screen so you can check what's on it? That does actually sound like it could have been useful.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That brief period where flash media existed but had much less capacity and was a lot more expensive per-megabyte than laptop harddrives. The heyday of the original iPod. In fact I bet you the elevator pitch for this thing was something like "It's like an iPod, but for photos!"

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

roffels posted:

It was always n-e-s or s-n-e-s in my neck of the woods, I've only heard ness online.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rap Game Goku posted:

I remember paying out the nose for 1 or 2GB CF cards back in 2006 when I got my first DSLR.. Then I ordered a $35 high-speed 128GB SD card yesterday :v:

I still have a 128MB CF card somewhere for my first digital camera, a nikon I bought in 2002.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lol I was cleaning my desk the other day and found the 4mb CF card from my parents first ever digital camera.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

roffels posted:

'ness' is wrong however 'nezz' is correct and normal

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Groke posted:

Somewhere there is probably a Commodore 64 still running some important equipment.

It's not quite a 64, but this came up in a Reddit thread and I thought of you.
https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/1980s-computer-controls-grps-heat-and-ac/

For some thread content, the item that started that thread, a punch card-driven school bell timer that runs continuously:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's not quite a 64, but this came up in a Reddit thread and I thought of you.
https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/1980s-computer-controls-grps-heat-and-ac/

For some thread content, the item that started that thread, a punch card-driven school bell timer that runs continuously:

guessing these aren't the most critical rollers:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

guessing these aren't the most critical rollers:

Looking at the roller it looks like the punch paper actually rides on the inner area of each roller and the edges are just to keep the paper centered.

As long as most of them aren't dinged it shouldn't be able to shift enough on one bad roller to come off track.

Based on the hinged mechanism and the damage I'm betting something got trapped in between the roller edge and the lip of the cabinet or the hinges sagged enough the door got stuck. Someone then proceeded to hulk the door open and crunched that roller. Betting replacements are discontinued long ago lol..

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Arivia posted:

please send this to cathoderaydude on youtube thank you

I'll see if he's interested. Does anyone have an email for him?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Goddamn, I never knew about this. Or if I did I've completely forgotten it along with how to play the violin and that one homeroom class where a kid smashed my head into the edge of a desk.

The Poqet PC (get it?). A completely static variant of the 8088 running MS-DOS 3.3 and some utilities on ROM. Power management is so aggressive that it powers down the CPU between keystrokes. Didn't even have an AC adapter, just runs for weeks on 2 AA batteries.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I looked up some other pictures and that sweet black red case with color matched accessories is pretty slick.

That floppy drive is great.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

Side question, what advancements made it possible to go from chonky rear end cables (or 40/80 wire IDE ribbons) like for that floppy drive, to our svelte little 4 conductor usb cables?

Computing power and extra cycles allowing us to slam so much data into one or two data lines? Advanced noise filtering so interference isn't as prominent?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Arrath posted:

Side question, what advancements made it possible to go from chonky rear end cables (or 40/80 wire IDE ribbons) like for that floppy drive, to our svelte little 4 conductor usb cables?

Computing power and extra cycles allowing us to slam so much data into one or two data lines? Advanced noise filtering so interference isn't as prominent?

Semiconductors shrinking in size allowed for clock speeds in the GHz range, which is required for these high speed serial connections.
Operating voltages went lower as size shrank. This supports both lower power consumption and noise tolerance.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I looked up some other pictures and that sweet black red case with color matched accessories is pretty slick.

this is incredible

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I remember seeing these in magazines circa 1990. That design is impressively '80s; it's downright Cyberdyne.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Goddamn, I never knew about this. Or if I did I've completely forgotten it along with how to play the violin and that one homeroom class where a kid smashed my head into the edge of a desk.

The Poqet PC (get it?). A completely static variant of the 8088 running MS-DOS 3.3 and some utilities on ROM. Power management is so aggressive that it powers down the CPU between keystrokes. Didn't even have an AC adapter, just runs for weeks on 2 AA batteries.

Kinda reminds me of the lovely Psion Series 5.

I loved this thing in high school in the 90s. Could run a Spectrum emulator on it too for (very blurry) retro gaming on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.