Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ola posted:

Electric A6 Avant coming in 2024.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbAxe-dyzMc

400 mile range, sub 4 sec 0-62.

That thing looks like it came straight out of a video game and I dig it.

Sab669 posted:

Let me guess, also not coming to the US?

One good thing about electric cars is that it's probably cheaper to federalize them due to a lack of emissions requirements. I'm sure there is still a lot of money in doing everything else a car needs to be federalized, but it's one less thing on the list. Doesn't necessarily mean we'll get this one, but it hopefully means we'll get more niche stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYuoTctkhCI

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Ola posted:

Tesla never had lidar or even plans for it. They did decide to evolve beyond radar just as there was a chip shortage, but now that things are looking up they might evolve to be using it again: https://electrek.co/2022/06/08/tesla-files-use-new-radar-confused/

Ah, I thought it was lidar instead of radar. My bad.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Inner Light posted:

:mods:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Inner Light posted:

Doesn't sound bad to me. Maybe I'm just jaded. The most annoying sound would be the traction control on BMW G20s chattering away while being manhandled by numpties at BMW-sponsored autox

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0aJWBnX44&t=510s

GM takes the word by storm again with an industry-first (probably) glovebox that can only be opened through the infotainment touchscreen?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

GM takes the word by storm again with an industry-first (probably) glovebox that can only be opened through the infotainment touchscreen?

I mean, it's a GM interior, so you can probably just mildly pull down on the glovebox and the entire thing will fall out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Throatwarbler posted:

I thought that was a Tesla "feature" already?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I never paid any attention to Tesla so I guess I'm the luddite here with my glovebox that just has a latch. :blush:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Inner Light posted:

swap a VQ into it and we're talkin

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I had a 2017 Rouge and it was a fun little car for what it was.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

davecrazy posted:

I had a 2017 Rouge and it was a fun little car for what it was.

What's the appeal of them instead of a CRV, RAV4, or Mazda CX-5, all of which I'd say are better in most ways?

I have to admit I'm the tiniest bit curious about the motor in the new rogue because I have an inexplicable love of 3-cylinder engines.

Edit: variable compression even!! https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35831603/2022-nissan-rogue-new-turbo-engine-revealed/

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 27, 2022

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A year later, how are people liking the hybrid Ford Maverick? I'm interested in it because I want my next vehicle to be a hybrid or EV, like the price, and have use for a little baby truck-shaped vehicle

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the appeal of them instead of a CRV, RAV4, or Mazda CX-5, all of which I'd say are better in most ways?

Financing

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

canyoneer posted:

A year later, how are people liking the hybrid Ford Maverick? I'm interested in it because I want my next vehicle to be a hybrid or EV, like the price, and have use for a little baby truck-shaped vehicle

I've had mine for about 2 months now and I'm liking it. Getting 44 mpg like my Fusion I had previous. Would possibly be higher if I didn't switch to some heavier tires. I sprung for the Lariat Luxury Package so get the relatively fancy stuff like lane centering which works good. Minor point against it is it isn't available all the time like some brands; only when cruise is on. The B&O audio system is kind of mediocre although the full Sync 3 radio doesn't have some of the minor compatibility issues (w/ wireless carplay adapters, I use AA anyways) and freezes the weirdo Sync 3-on-2-hardware of lower trims can experience. I believe there's been some OTA radio updates to address the latter. I had hoped it'd have a bit higher electric acceleration limit before switching to ICE. It's on par with my 8 year old Fusion in that regard so you'll likely be starting the engine past 18-20 mph unless you have more patience for languidly accelerating. Otherwise the bigger engine is reasonably powerful and quiet without sounding overworked at high RPM like the 2.0L did. The biggest demerit is the interior dark blue and light sand plastic used on the pillars is incredibly soft and will scratch/gouge with little effort. So some care needs to be taken if removing trim or if you're rough on interiors it will show very evidently. There has been a bit of growing furor recently with a handful of occurrences of loss of 12V system power due to insufficient battery cable end soldering at the underhood fuse box, but I should expect that'll be resolved next MY now that it's been consistently identified.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Also Hot Pepper Red is a cool, dynamic color (unless you live somewhere that doesn't get sun)

darnon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 27, 2022

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That is a good looking color.

Man, to have a 40+ mpg vehicle again right now would be tight. My fusion with its tiny 1.5L has been sitting around 30mpg since the weather turned warm and I drive super conservatively. Except for freeway on ramps where judicial throttle application is needed.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My Mazda 3 averages around 6L/100 km or 39 mpg commuting. Good wee car. :toot:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My Fit probably averages about 6l too and I managed to get it down to 5.2 on longer trips, the downside is that it's a noisy tin can with 90hp and busted AC but still better than walking in the sun

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I would rather cry in an Ioniq 6 than laugh in a Tesla.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna have about an hour long commute coming up and luckily I have a Prius that I paid $5500 for a couple years ago to tackle it. It really doesn't take much more of an increase in the price of gas to justify buying something electric that can make the 160ish mile round trip on the worst of days though.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

darnon posted:

Also Hot Pepper Red is a cool, dynamic color (unless you live somewhere that doesn't get sun)

Any more info on this? It looks absolutely perfect. Love those wheels.

E: Has Ford made any statements on the likelihood of an AWD hybrid ever being available?

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 28, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

travisray2004 posted:

Any more info on this? It looks absolutely perfect. Love those wheels.

E: Has Ford made any statements on the likelihood of an AWD hybrid ever being available?

In the near future there looks to be a plug-in AWD hybrid: https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-maverick-phev-awd-pickup-truck-spy-photos/

Mavericks already have insane markups on them, and judging by the actual market transaction prices of the RAV4 Prime, I predict that an AWD Hybrid Plug-in Maverick is going to be an $80k truck.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/T_Marko/status/1541902005630902274?t=cItTGF6mObD812x-nxvCqg&s=19

It's fine? There's hints of a really nice design but bits of it are a bit naff and over designed.

And as ever, look at what you could've won...

https://twitter.com/Mike_M_Klotz/status/1541903728504094722?t=9CO8RsGeknyvl0BppelWoQ&s=19

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Would like to see this in black though. it's not too far off from the concept.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Twerk from Home posted:

In the near future there looks to be a plug-in AWD hybrid: https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-maverick-phev-awd-pickup-truck-spy-photos/

Mavericks already have insane markups on them, and judging by the actual market transaction prices of the RAV4 Prime, I predict that an AWD Hybrid Plug-in Maverick is going to be an $80k truck.

I was going to order an awd turbo maverick in August but holy poo poo that is what I'd actually want

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
They're Voxx Monte wheels plastidipped Burnt Copper. A little annoying to pick lug nuts for as the pockets are better sized for M12s than the M14 the Maverick uses. Had to get about the slimmest lug/socket combo I could find after the McGard splinedrives I bought proved mere hundredths of a mm too large. There are some cool wheel options in a proper powdercoated bronze finish, but was feeling a cheap bastard (these were $575 for the set). The Rotiiva ATs, here 235/65R17, have performed well year round on the fleet vehicles I work with including snow. The pattern has since been supplanted by the Outpost AT and SUV/crossover focused Outpost APT which trades some load range (negligible loss for the Maverick) to being a few pounds lighter. On paper a better option for acceleration, handling, and fuel economy.

I'd ordered back about a year ago now and had hoped to get built in the fall, but the tonneau cover and all-weather floor mats got put on the build order (had intended through the dealer parts dept) which sharply decreases build schedule probability. In any case Ford didn't start shipping hybrids until December due to EPA cert delays. Initially was scheduled for mid-January build, got delayed a bunch to late February, then delivered after Easter. Ended up being a happy accident since by then fuel was crazy buoying my Fusion hybrid trade value plus not immediately dousing the Maverick in a full winter of road salt.

In turn I didn't get to try it much in particularly deep snow. My prior vehicles have all been FWD/RWD with the preceding Fusion handling WNY winter just fine on snow tires so the lack of AWD wasn't a big dealbreaker. PHEV certainly would have been nice. I think Ford knew they simply couldn't meet the demand of either option so held off along with the line that they 'only anticipated a 40% order rate on the hybrid'.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Pre-ordered a corolla GR. Technically, two pre-orders, I guess, a core and a circuit. e: 3rd on the core list, 2nd on the circuit list.

e: dealer is at msrp

gvibes fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 5, 2022

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

darnon posted:

I've had mine for about 2 months now and I'm liking it. Getting 44 mpg like my Fusion I had previous. Would possibly be higher if I didn't switch to some heavier tires. I sprung for the Lariat Luxury Package so get the relatively fancy stuff like lane centering which works good. Minor point against it is it isn't available all the time like some brands; only when cruise is on. The B&O audio system is kind of mediocre although the full Sync 3 radio doesn't have some of the minor compatibility issues (w/ wireless carplay adapters, I use AA anyways) and freezes the weirdo Sync 3-on-2-hardware of lower trims can experience. I believe there's been some OTA radio updates to address the latter. I had hoped it'd have a bit higher electric acceleration limit before switching to ICE. It's on par with my 8 year old Fusion in that regard so you'll likely be starting the engine past 18-20 mph unless you have more patience for languidly accelerating. Otherwise the bigger engine is reasonably powerful and quiet without sounding overworked at high RPM like the 2.0L did. The biggest demerit is the interior dark blue and light sand plastic used on the pillars is incredibly soft and will scratch/gouge with little effort. So some care needs to be taken if removing trim or if you're rough on interiors it will show very evidently. There has been a bit of growing furor recently with a handful of occurrences of loss of 12V system power due to insufficient battery cable end soldering at the underhood fuse box, but I should expect that'll be resolved next MY now that it's been consistently identified.

When did you order? I went with the 2.0T because it had AWD and I needed the truck capability early in the year, and I was ordering in October (received in March). Now that I have some time to think about it I think I should've gotten a 'cheap' used truck to do the work while waiting for the hybrid.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I can't remember if I found this through the YouTube related algorithm or this thread:

Whoops just needed to scroll up yeah it was in this thread.

I'm a fan. (headphone warning for aggressive loud musak)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 4, 2022

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I kinda like the current gen A6 estate design a bit more. This looks like a halfway between an A6 and a v90

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Inner Light posted:

I can't remember if I found this through the YouTube related algorithm or this thread:

Whoops just needed to scroll up yeah it was in this thread.

I'm a fan. (headphone warning for aggressive loud musak)

Autogefühl has it without the music and he walks through the design of both. The A6 e-tron will be available as a sedan, sportback, and a station wagon. The sedan will be China only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZeybx-re7g

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

When the a6 alltrac ages a few more years maybe it’ll be a decent used deal… or maybe cars will never be reasonable again. It’s no avant but it’s what we get. You can get color matched wheel arches at least.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Russian Bear posted:

When the a6 alltrac ages a few more years maybe it’ll be a decent used deal… or maybe cars will never be reasonable again. It’s no avant but it’s what we get. You can get color matched wheel arches at least.

Strangely enough, you can only get color keyed trim on certain colors. The green, for instance, does not allow it. Odd.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Twerk from Home posted:

"Insane" is a polite way of putting it. I can't find a single XL nearby that isn't $35k at minimum. And gently caress shelling out $45k+ for a Lariat. Maybe I'll look into one after the craziness with new car prices dies down.....maybe....

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
'23 Maverick ordering opens back up in about a month. There's probably going to be a few dealers like Chapman and Granger doing orders below MSRP again. Although since they're running the '22MY slightly longer into end of October to sync up with the Bronco Sport and there's a backlog of rollover orders expect delivery next calendar year at the least.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

how many of those even get sold? Even living in LA and SF, I've only seen 2 ever.

V90s and V60s are decently common, as in I've seen at least a couple dozen over the last 2 years

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There are quite a few A4 and A6 allroads in my area of New England. Probably competitive with the V60XC etc.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MeruFM posted:

how many of those even get sold? Even living in LA and SF, I've only seen 2 ever.

V90s and V60s are decently common, as in I've seen at least a couple dozen over the last 2 years

Not a ton, but I definitely see a few around Philly/Denver. The A4 obviously greatly outnumbers the A6, and the E-wagon outnumbers the A6.

When we were in the market we drove the A6 but the E450 just seemed like the better car. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

There’s a used car lot with an R350 around here. I didn’t even know there was an R class!