Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
seeing people say the sakuga in the rwby anime doesnt mean anything on its own is kinda funny to me when the like, primary conceit of og rwby was "look at how hard this contextless mv with a girl using a scythe .50cal goes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah I bounced out of RWBY a couple of years ago. I just couldn't stand the writing any more. Then they killed Penny, again and my enthusiasm for the show has become a stinking crater in the ground.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Feldegast42 posted:

RWBY had potential and to be honest, the first few series of it are still a guilty pleasure. It just doesn't really go anywhere, especially after Monty Oum passed.

I mean, frankly it was never going anywhere with Monty at the helm either. And I like RWBY and I like Monty, but his entire goal was to make cool fight scenes and then gesture vaguely at a world and story to ground the fight scenes in some kind of meaningfulness, to which he outsourced that job to Miles and Kerry (and I like them too) and then basically it seemed like he never coordinated with them the story direction beyond a very vague outline as to what feeling and aesthetic he wanted to convey. Hbomb's spends about half of his video on RWBY basically digging into what flaws of RWBY are basically due to Monty's early decisions, as understandable as I think they are in context.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saagonsa posted:

I think the character designs are good, myself.

The core cast really are excellent character designs on the whole, which is perhaps why them being bound to such an aggressively mediocre-to-bad anime stings all the more. RWBY's prime material for some kind of show reboot with coherent behind-the-scenes direction a decade from now when disappointment has faded and people are ready to give it a second chance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vermain posted:

The core cast really are excellent character designs on the whole, which is perhaps why them being bound to such an aggressively mediocre-to-bad anime stings all the more. RWBY's prime material for some kind of show reboot with coherent behind-the-scenes direction a decade from now when disappointment has faded and people are ready to give it a second chance.

Isn't that what's happening now though?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't that what's happening now though?

Is Ice Queendom gonna be a full redo? I only follow RWBY peripherally, but I assumed it was just a promotional one season series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The first couple episodes are a refresh of the first couple volumes, then it's an original story

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm always surprised by how much people seem to care about Rwby even when they don't actually like it. Like, there's a billion mediocre to bad shows out there with solid designs that are kinda wasted but the sentiment of "drat, this show could be cool if it wasn't actually pretty bad and boring in most aspects" seems to come up a lot with Rwby.

I dunno, I watched a lot of RoosterTeeth stuff a decade ago so I saw the first couple seasons but there's not really much there to get attached to.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm always surprised by how much people seem to care about Rwby even when they don't actually like it. Like, there's a billion mediocre to bad shows out there with solid designs that are kinda wasted but the sentiment of "drat, this show could be cool if it wasn't actually pretty bad and boring in most aspects" seems to come up a lot with Rwby.

I dunno, I watched a lot of RoosterTeeth stuff a decade ago so I saw the first couple seasons but there's not really much there to get attached to.

I think that's because RWBY is like the platonic ideal of vicarious living through someone else living the dream of creating their own anime which a lot of millennials growing up with anime can probably relate to and why where even to people where RWBY is a disappointment it sticks. It was something that genuinely excited a lot of people and then it splits into people who liked only the first 2 volumes, people who like what RWBY eventually became; and people who never quite liked it but would've liked it to have been something better.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Even simpler than that: in certain niches RWBY is/was a huge deal

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

:words:

it has cool fights and they're cute

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

oh yea like 2 days ago i saw the second ideon movie Be Invoked on yt, it was p cool even tho my frame of reference was "i read wiki articles for the plot summary and i think saw exactly ep 1 of the show a few years ago, also some tv clips and srw move compilations" and its very funny it just throws u Straight into the action

should i watch the first movie too since its already up on yt.........

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought it sucked but that was the frame of reference of having seen the whole series shortly before, and thinking compilation movies are categorically bad

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

also this was the funniest line in the movie

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Booky posted:

also this was the funniest line in the movie

lol her sideye

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Like it or hate it I think it’s hard to say RWBY isn’t interesting

It’s interesting for the character designs, the concepts, the trainwreck that is much of the existence surrounding the show itself

The fact that a guy wanted to make a cool fighting anime and used incredibly ill-suited 3D CGI to do it to surprising success, passed away unexpectedly for absolutely awful reasons and had his dream legitimately realized in the end with a full budget TV anime is extremely interesting, to me at least

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 27, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also yeah once upon a time a bunch of people wanted to bang Yang, I guess

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean in a way it is kinda of fitting that RWBY anime had Black Rock shooter cameo in it cause Black Rock Shooter certainly is a similar concept - great designs tied to questionable story with some interesting fights

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean in a way it is kinda of fitting that RWBY anime had Black Rock shooter cameo in it cause Black Rock Shooter certainly is a similar concept - great designs tied to questionable story with some interesting fights

Well huke is on the art staff also

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk if this or the general Shonen thread is the better place to ask, but I picked up the AssClass Blu-Rays and there’s a movie that kinda just looks/sounds like a recap but idk if it rehashes old info in an interesting way or covers the post-anime manga content the mangaka wrote to promote season 2. I’m guessing not though?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also yeah once upon a time a bunch of people wanted to bang Yang, I guess

Bold of you to assume people don't want to bang her anymore.

(Because from what I've gathered another part of RWBY's appeal is the massive wlw fandom which is pretty much what keeps it alive. Which makes sense since the show has a higher-than-average ratio of female, plot-relevant badass characters even if it's in a trainwreck of a story)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Booky posted:

oh yea like 2 days ago i saw the second ideon movie Be Invoked on yt, it was p cool even tho my frame of reference was "i read wiki articles for the plot summary and i think saw exactly ep 1 of the show a few years ago, also some tv clips and srw move compilations" and its very funny it just throws u Straight into the action

should i watch the first movie too since its already up on yt.........

The first movie barely even counts as cliff notes it's just a selection of scenes from the TV series in chronological order with a couple of new bits and doesn't even attempt to string them into a cohesive narrative.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

with black rock shooter it's still nuts to me that they managed to grind out a franchise and even a video game and TV anime out of a vocaloid song from 2008

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I never got to play the BRS PSP game and that still pisses me off

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My PSP crapped out before I got a chance to play it either.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Last Celebration posted:

Idk if this or the general Shonen thread is the better place to ask, but I picked up the AssClass Blu-Rays and there’s a movie that kinda just looks/sounds like a recap but idk if it rehashes old info in an interesting way or covers the post-anime manga content the mangaka wrote to promote season 2. I’m guessing not though?

It's very skippable. I stupidly bought it blind while I was finishing the series, in case of spoilers, and then the instant I finished the show I discover "oh this is cutting down the arcs to Nagisa/Karma and tightening harder than the anime already abridged".

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i loving love when a manga i follow that hasnt had a scanlation update for months gets a new chapter and turns out its by a fuckhead who used MTL and comic sans as a font

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
scanlation sniping is cool and good but that sounds like loving poo poo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Plutonis posted:

i loving love when a manga i follow that hasnt had a scanlation update for months gets a new chapter and turns out its by a fuckhead who used MTL and comic sans as a font

Oh, did Jagaaan get an update

Seriously though, there's been about 3-4 series I've seen that happen to in the past two months and it's always a little deflating

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Houseki no Kuni ftw

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

Houseki no Kuni ftw

:yeah:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Coaaab posted:

scanlation sniping is cool and good but that sounds like loving poo poo

scanlation sniping is cool and good when it hits the target and not makes something more incomprehensible than raws

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scanlation is cool and good until companies get their heads out of their collective asses and realize that there is an audience iht there beyond their domestic shores. Save us from the curse of comic sans.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/DedeHedgehog/status/1541279736910860290?s=20&t=oG1CDc-A1wXxEdEuLdBUgw

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/UzumakiAnime1/status/1541477045112143872?s=20&t=cwOfGsbkfcUxmoXfY2JzPQ

Uzumaki delayed again

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

fingers crossed these show up before Thursday so i can really impress the only other two guys at my local showing of Macross Frontier The Movie 2: The Wings of The Songstress

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TenementFunster posted:

fingers crossed these show up before Thursday so i can really impress the only other two guys at my local showing of Macross Frontier The Movie 2: The Wings of The Songstress

Good luck, gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'd like to catch that second Frontier movie on the big screen but I'll be out of town that day, rip.