Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Had some issues with pinging, looks like it's because the TFSI coils are getting too hot under the coil cover. Removed the cover and made a temporary bracket, and the problem is gone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I've been finding rust.

Drivers rear of floorpan:

In front of driver's wheel:

(I'll take care of that later.)

Driver's lower rear control arm mount:

(sigh. Common, even in TX. Also will be handled later.)

Passenger side floorpan:

:negative:

This will be fixed possibly next weekend.
It took all I had to get it this far this past weekend:

Man, I hate rust. Wish I'd have thought to remove the carpets a few years ago. Weather seals are shot and it's just been getting damp from rain and humidity, while still being closed up for 10+ years, so, rust where water pools and/or there's an overlapping joint to trap it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

did you piss someone off? jesus

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Is that like a mini machete

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
7.3 is all back together and runs great with new injectors, hpop, and the little KC300x.

There's about a 1/16 inch of oily black scum that made it to the top of the degas bottle after running it for a few hours but the coolant level is holding steady idling it unpressurized.

I think it's probably residual poo poo from the oil and fuel rails dripping into the heads/me blowing the cylinders out. If it was new diesel from a failed cup install the level would be growing and it would just be a clean, separate layer on the top of the degas bottle. A sealant failure should be pretty catastrophic too, it would be all 60 psi of fuel pressure going straight into the cooling system.

I also pulled the fuel bowl cover and pressurized the degas bottle while holding down the valve the fuel filter depresses and I didn't get any coolant coming back through the fuel rails into the bowl so here's hoping.

e: washed out degas bottle with dawn, ran until thermostat opened, seems fine.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 17, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Installed light up door sills I'm a complete sucker for poo poo like this

Also set up Homelink which was goddamn annoying. Went through the whole process 3 times, didn't work. Put a new battery in the transmitter and tried twice more, didn't work. Went and got a different (identical & factory original) remote and it works perfectly on the first try.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 17, 2022

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

TrueChaos posted:

My wife's manual 2016 mazda 3 has a remote starter. The procedure for enabling it is that you have to enable it at the end of your drive, and it's ready to go for the next time you use it. Procedure is car in neutral, foot on brake, pump parking brake 3 times and the indicators flash, leave parking brake on and exit the vehicle. The remote starter turns off the car, and you're good to go. Can't enable it with the clutch in, so you can't leave it in gear. If you open the door without remotely starting it, the remote start is disabled.

So, it's definitely possible on manuals.

There are two flaws here. One of them is a bit of a reach, the second is virtually guaranteed.

If a window is open, someone could reach into a car that has been set up for a "safe" remote start and move the shifter into gear. This scenario is a stretch (literally).

The bigger issue is that most dumbfuck customers cannot keep even that simple, muscle-memory combination of steps in their feeble brains. When the dipshit customer fails to follow the prescribed steps correctly, the customer then assumes that the remote start does not work. Best case, this moron customer then wastes the time of the staff at the mobile electronics installer with multiple re-training visits. Worst case, the customer gets mad, demands a refund, and badmouths the installer. This scenario is extremely almost guaranteed.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Washed it :3:

Stripwash, hasty clay bar and turtle hybrid ceramic. I really need to repaint the hood and swap over the non-faded and holeless bumpers. And paint the calipers sliver, and refinish the wheels and

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Washed it :3:

Stripwash, hasty clay bar and turtle hybrid ceramic. I really need to repaint the hood and swap over the non-faded and holeless bumpers. And paint the calipers sliver, and refinish the wheels and

I love the mk1 focus so much :11tea::3:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I drove one to cars and coffee.

Another turned into a hover truck!
Oh wait. No, the front end is just hosed. I'll be putting in new hubs, stub shafts, seals, and brakes. Goodbye $1k.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I installed a frunk mat I'll post pictures and a detailed description of the installation process if you all would like.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

the spyder posted:

I drove one to cars and coffee.

I worked at a Mazda dealer in the mid 90s. Will always be one of my favorite cars.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I plugged up the vacuum leaks on my carburetor and hooked up the electric choke and my truck runs! She Runs!! She runs better than when I first got her. And she runs under her own power! and she shifts!!

She was idling pretty low but a half turn on the big screw on the top and boom top form.

Next I gotta weld up the interior, replace /all/ brakelines and hardware, replace all the fluid, install seats, figure out why the horn don't work, all sorts of poo poo. But I got a truck I can move around now!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Krakox posted:

I plugged up the vacuum leaks on my carburetor and hooked up the electric choke and my truck runs! She Runs!! She runs better than when I first got her. And she runs under her own power! and she shifts!!

She was idling pretty low but a half turn on the big screw on the top and boom top form.

Next I gotta weld up the interior, replace /all/ brakelines and hardware, replace all the fluid, install seats, figure out why the horn don't work, all sorts of poo poo. But I got a truck I can move around now!

Rampage thread when

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Krakox posted:

I am so absolutely jealous

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Givin me priapism and blue balls here dude. THREAD!

My own: washed it... and just like the last time I washed it (uh, early this year), CEL popped on leaving the car wash. Throwing an O2 sensor code, just like the last time I washed it (B1S1 voltage high). And I suspect just like last time, it'll go away in a day or two on its own after everything dries out. Guessing the connector's seal isn't... sealing.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

It was Friday, but I was taught how to do new rear pads and rotors on the Focus (with supervision). The OEMs lasted me 6.5 years and nearly 78k miles with a bit of spirited driving and a couple autocross days, so I just replaced them with OEMs again. One of the caliper pins cross-threaded on the driver's side bracket so I had to get that re-threaded, otherwise it went pretty well. I forgot to take any pics though. Learning!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I put new speakers in the Crown Vic (driver's side Bravox was buzzing -turned out that it had rubbed against the sound deadening on the inside of the door panel to split the surround about an inch) and rotated the tires.

Also made a mount for the magnetic phone mount to go in the console pocket so I don't have to block an AC vent:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

My phone overheats if I'm running Maps and Android Auto, so it kind of has to go in front of a vent. :argh:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

STR posted:

My phone overheats if I'm running Maps and Android Auto, so it kind of has to go in front of a vent. :argh:

You have Texas problems. My phone would overheat when playing podcasts if I had it in the vent-mounted magnetic cradle thing when the heat was on in winter time.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PBCrunch posted:

There are two flaws here. One of them is a bit of a reach, the second is virtually guaranteed.

If a window is open, someone could reach into a car that has been set up for a "safe" remote start and move the shifter into gear. This scenario is a stretch (literally).

The bigger issue is that most dumbfuck customers cannot keep even that simple, muscle-memory combination of steps in their feeble brains. When the dipshit customer fails to follow the prescribed steps correctly, the customer then assumes that the remote start does not work. Best case, this moron customer then wastes the time of the staff at the mobile electronics installer with multiple re-training visits. Worst case, the customer gets mad, demands a refund, and badmouths the installer. This scenario is extremely almost guaranteed.

Why would you need remote start for a vehicle with the window down?

Re the 2nd, I suspect most will manage just fine, it's just that customer is the only one anyone will remember. My in-laws owned the car and had the remote start installed before my wife bought it, and I wouldn't call either of them overly technically adept. They had no issues with it.

My wife will however occasionally forget to turn it on, which results in late night cold trips out to set the remote start so it'll work in the morning :v:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Got a job being the manager of an automotive body shop supply branch. I work in the automotive industry (kind of) now.

Went to lunch, the car won't start. Just clicks. Luckily, you can still push start a manual. Got it home, but have to put a starter on it. Not gonna be a fun time.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 23, 2022

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

EvilBeard posted:

Got a job being the manager of an automotive body shop supply branch. I work in the automotive industry (kind of) now.

Went to lunch, the car won't start. Just clicks. Luckily, you can still push start a manual. Got it home, but have to put a starter on it. Not gonna be a fun time.

Unlikely, but does it have a factory or aftermarket security system? The OEM security relay on the start circuit on 90's Mazda's are the plague of my existence as of late. Starters test fine, but the relay has arced too many times and causes the common "click-click" issue.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

Unlikely, but does it have a factory or aftermarket security system? The OEM security relay on the start circuit on 90's Mazda's are the plague of my existence as of late. Starters test fine, but the relay has arced too many times and causes the common "click-click" issue.

nope. just a good ole chevrolet. I'm gonna test more further, but I'm pretty sure the starter or solenoid is cooked.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Would it be worth it to replace with an oem starter? I worked automotive retail when I was between jobs and store parts seem dubious at best.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

TrueChaos posted:

Why would you need remote start for a vehicle with the window down?

Re the 2nd, I suspect most will manage just fine, it's just that customer is the only one anyone will remember. My in-laws owned the car and had the remote start installed before my wife bought it, and I wouldn't call either of them overly technically adept. They had no issues with it.

My wife will however occasionally forget to turn it on, which results in late night cold trips out to set the remote start so it'll work in the morning :v:
Why would you need a remote start for a vehicle with the window down? I dunno, because you can. Mobile electronics customers tend to ask "can I?" and not so much "should I?". More realistically, someone might want to get their air conditioning running on a hot day before they get in the car. Or maybe its a Wrangler or a convertible. Maybe the window isn't left down and instead some anarchist breaks the window, reaches in and moves the shifter, and then walks off. Who knows why people do the things they do.

In any case, a remote start on a vehicle with a manual transmission that is installed using the techniques accepted as "safe" by some can still result in a runaway vehicle if you just add enough circumstances/stupidity.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 24, 2022

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

PBCrunch posted:

In any case, a remote start on a vehicle with a manual transmission that is installed using the techniques accepted as "safe" by some can still result in a runaway vehicle if you just add enough circumstances/stupidity.

When I was still installing remote starters Compustar made this sensor mandatory on manual transmission vehicles. It's a combination shock/tilt and forward motion sensor, so it'll kill the starter if it detects any forward motion when remote starting.

https://www.compustar.com/accessories/das/

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Washed this one too :3:

Stripwash, claybar, polished the headlights and ceramic. I need to refinish the wheels someday soon. I have a ridiculous plan involving spinning them on a unit bearing hub and sanding them to keep the same machined scratch pattern as stock.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hypnolobster posted:

Washed this one too :3:

Stripwash, claybar, polished the headlights and ceramic. I need to refinish the wheels someday soon. I have a ridiculous plan involving spinning them on a unit bearing hub and sanding them to keep the same machined scratch pattern as stock.

I really need to polish my headlights. How are your batteries holding up? Those are such good little cars.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I really need to polish my headlights. How are your batteries holding up? Those are such good little cars.
I'm always amazed at how much of a difference it makes. I need to do the headlights on all my cars and then crack open a can of urethane 2k clear and fix them more permanently-ish someday.

Battery pack is still pretty healthy. It's handling 40% more current than stock right now due to a little board I soldered into the BCM. It probably won't keep handling that too well in the next year or three, but actual functional lithium swaps are becoming a reality now so it's not a big deal.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Got the vette jacked up and popped the starter off. As soon as I moved it the positive post on the solenoid just fell off. So I ordered a heat shield to protect the new one from the long tube headers.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

EvilBeard posted:

Got the vette jacked up and popped the starter off. As soon as I moved it the positive post on the solenoid just fell off. So I ordered a heat shield to protect the new one from the long tube headers.

Read that as vette jacket, and think you should get a vette jacket

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Can’t be seen a vette meet up without one! The headers destroying starter motors seems to be a GM thing as I needed a heat shield for the Pontiac and the C10. Almost easier to get shorty headers can try to route the exhaust away but it is a lot of hassle for something that shouldn’t even be a concern.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

no lube so what posted:

Read that as vette jacket, and think you should get a vette jacket

As if I don't already have a corvette letterman jacket to go with my new balance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

Can’t be seen a vette meet up without one! The headers destroying starter motors seems to be a GM thing as I needed a heat shield for the Pontiac and the C10. Almost easier to get shorty headers can try to route the exhaust away but it is a lot of hassle for something that shouldn’t even be a concern.

This is poo poo they managed to do stock. I don't know how but GM builds absolutely poop-quality starters and runs the exhaust way too close to them, and then spent way too long not putting a relay on the starter circuit. Headers just make the problem worse but it was there all along.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Its ok they fixed it by moving the same pooptastic starter to under the intake manifold.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Only thing worse than GM oem starters are aftermarket starters that require clocking and spacer rings so they don’t ride the flex plate/flywheel.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A few weeks ago I had a coil pack and controller replaced due to a misfire issue (it wasn't the fuel pump as I suspected). The issue came back so I returned it to the shop that did the work. Ended up getting the spark plugs & wires replaced. The guy told me they should have caught this before so they didn't charge any labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Got the starter slapped on tonight after work. I must be living right. I reached up to put the nut on the solenoid stud, and I could barely reach up around the headers with 2 fingers. The nut just fell into place and threaded right on. I basically won the lottery.