Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kidfresca posted:

My favorite detail is that attention was paid to creating a barrier between it and the bare surface of the desk, which might answer the question of whether it's purely decorative or not.

they’re called speaker stands you weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

a synth rig someone just posted on r/synthesizers.

when you see it you'll poo poo bricks.

SPOILER: who the gently caress puts their HS5s on their sides?!?!?

Yvette Amos' studio?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i wonder if there’s a way to get the buttplug.io framework to output midi

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can but it only does clock and it's not very accurate.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Put Otamatone guts in it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wow, they made a lot of improvements with the new Volca.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Which one? The NuBass tube dude looks cool.

Unless we’re still talkin’ ‘do.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/beer-chiller/letting-the-machine-sing
Submarine's lfo has 4 outputs that you can phase modulate, as well as several different outputs at static points in the phase.
I've been really enjoying playing around with that, and caudal, feeding them into pulsars, which allows me to morph between 8 different signal inputs.
Been spending a bunch of time just watching traces on scopes, trying to make a bunch of different, related, almost predictable, relatively slow modulation signals.
That's what I do for fun.
The link above was what I managed to get the machine to spit out using a bunch of these signals. Just sending them every which way. Hook it up to the point that I don't really know what's controlling what anymore, make sure to put a bunch of dice rolls and coin flips in there to keep things mixed up, and let the machine do its thing.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
A while back, I cracked open my Volca Bass to clean the shift and memory buttons. Worked a bit; looks like it's busted again.

I'm thinking I could wire up some toggle switches as a permanent fix, those are probably the best two buttons to replace with a toggle anyway.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

JamesKPolk posted:

HS7s on side w/ other better monitors on top of them were in so many sound on sound studio shots over the years I assume its just from that.
shaking and crying rn

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I don’t always GAS but when I do

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5453562008008518

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

oh, it's in Canada too, eh? Just a ferry ride away, you say?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Found a great space saver solution for a synth stand:

https://twitter.com/Dr_TheHistories/status/1541215794029158400

Cable management might become an issue

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mostly just posting this to make sure it worked.

Did some test recording from VCV rack
https://soundcloud.com/thumposaurus/vcv-rack-acid-test-2?utm_source=mobi&utm_campaign=social_sharing&utm_terms=mobi_google_one_tap.treatment

https://soundcloud.com/thumposaurus...e_tap.treatment

These are both basically the same patch just tweaks to the sequencer and various riding of the filter cutoff.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 27, 2022

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

https://youtube.com/shorts/YCRSvu3Y8xY?feature=share

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So Math posted:

This is a fun way to combine sequences.

Was wondering if you could expand on this a little. Does SQ1 refer to the Korg module here, or just any synced combination of two CV sequencers and a gate sequencer? Are you attenuating the inputs to the mixer in any way, or just straight up accepting [-10, 10]V inputs?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Pollyanna posted:

Was wondering if you could expand on this a little. Does SQ1 refer to the Korg module here, or just any synced combination of two CV sequencers and a gate sequencer? Are you attenuating the inputs to the mixer in any way, or just straight up accepting [-10, 10]V inputs?

Sure, I'd love to talk about it!

I labelled the diagram SQ1 since that's what I've got, but it could be any two sequencers, ideally two with the same clock source and possibly* different pattern lengths. I set my sequencer to a 0-5 volt range and handled attenuation in the matrix mixer.

The idea is to mix between four different CV sources in order to create different melodies. The sample and hold between the mixer and the oscillator prevents audible glissandos from occurring when you tweak the mixer knobs. The joystick source is for manual transposition; it could be replaced with a fixed voltage if you just want to ride the mixer knob or an automated mod source like a slow LFO. The noise source is to add some more variation.

It's a very flexible setup. Crossfading between two melodies is a fairly straightforward application. I like to attenuate a sequencer while transposing in the opposite direction. It's a really cool musical effect where the shape of the melody stays the same, the register stays the same, but the range of the notes expands or contracts. I did not include a pitch quantizer in the diagram, but one could be added between the s&h and the vco.

*edit

So Math fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 29, 2022

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uyuHFwnX0
lmao

watho
Aug 2, 2013

id almost forgotten just how ugly the sytrus UI used to be

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Whither now, Autochre?

I should spend a day getting high and playing Autochre. Or maybe doing mushrooms.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

petit choux posted:

Whither now, Autochre?

I should spend a day getting high and playing Autochre. Or maybe doing mushrooms.

Do both, I think the live sets they've been putting out would be great for mushrooms, Autechre themselves said they tried to make them more immediate, and tried to mix them like an EDM record, so it's a bit more 'catchy' or easier to get into than like, the NTS sessions which is literally 8 hours long exactly, or the 4 disc elseq 1-4. These two songs are so good and have some of the most interesting use of synths that i can think of lately (i included the timestamps, but they're at 32:46 and 28:14)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KallOfGzdzw&t=1970s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr5hQmbtNlY&t=1694s

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m attempting to replicate the 0coast in VCV and I have everything (mostly) but the Overtone section down. That part’s a headache, cause it’s a crossfade between the odd and the even harmonics of a given fundamental, plus it also lets you crossfade into the AD envelope for some reason. I really don’t loving feel like figuring that out.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

A buchla-style wavefolder will get you most of the way - the even/odd thing is the symmetry control on those. The slope blend imo isn't really the cool part, but it's a DC offset added to that. Unless you're going for perfect interface fidelity I'd just break that out into a function generator or something and mix it in separately.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I ended up just crossfading between a square wave and a saw wave one octave higher. Close enough!

This is as far as I got before getting sick of it.

The box itself has a very chaotic UI, but it's still WAY better than a bunch of modules stuck together. And goddammit, I still want one!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe one day I'll get a used 0coast...

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm pretty sure that Instruo wavefolder does it w/ it's symmetry control actually. I mean idk that module in particular but most things w/ those controls are riffs on that general idea

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I ended up just crossfading between a square wave and a saw wave one octave higher. Close enough!

The box itself has a very chaotic UI, but it's still WAY better than a bunch of modules stuck together. And goddammit, I still want one!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe one day I'll get a used 0coast...
Looks like you've got a good patch for strange sounds!
Just had a giggle, because zoomed out on my phone, it looks like first thing, upper left, you picked a module called "CHAD". I realized what it was after zooming in, but was a funny thought.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm pretty sure that Instruo wavefolder does it w/ it's symmetry control actually. I mean idk that module in particular but most things w/ those controls are riffs on that general idea

I actually found the dual-VCO approach to be more reliable and accurate, at least according to the spectral analyzer. But I did not know the symmetry control would do that...interesting thing to modulate.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

B33rChiller posted:

Looks like you've got a good patch for strange sounds!

I'll say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ2Jzf0PjfY&t=215s

quote:

Just had a giggle, because zoomed out on my phone, it looks like first thing, upper left, you picked a module called "CHAD". I realized what it was after zooming in, but was a funny thought.

It is a pretty dope module, to be fair.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 1, 2022

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Pollyanna posted:

i love trying to replicate bits of gear on my modular setup, very good way to learn the limitations of what you have and also how to push past those limitations to get at some cool effects. ever tried making a DFAM? its like a crash course in the importance of VCAs for modulating CV

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/WeirdBongs/status/1542591123641843717?t=ygGPYf5ZJbBYw5nd_VluVQ&s=19

watho
Aug 2, 2013

wtf you can play synthesizers?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You have to, arpeggiators don't work on silence.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress, I need to hire someone to constantly stand behind me and remind me how disinterested I was with the modern MPC I owned because I’m starting to make googly eyes at the MPC Key 61 all of a sudden, price not withstanding.

My biggest gripe wasn’t the MPC itself, it was that a lot of the workflow relied on me using a touchscreen with my sausage fingers, and it always felt clumsy. I don’t remember the workflow exactly so I’m just going to keep thinking that the MK61 will have all the lovely drawbacks that the MPC One had and not look into it any further :|

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 1, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

some kinda jackal posted:

gently caress, I need to hire someone to constantly stand behind me and remind me how disinterested I was with the modern MPC I owned because I’m starting to make googly eyes at the MPC Key 61 all of a sudden, price not withstanding.

the new Rhodes plugin sounds fantastic.

E: Just get a live 2 and a midi controller.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

the new Rhodes plugin sounds fantastic.

E: Just get a live 2 and a midi controller.

I mean at this point I can just get any good sounding iPad based synth that has a good rhodes engine instead, and that would probably be way more practical since I already have a MIDI keyboard and an external sequencer (like, five external sequencers, but who’s counting :haw:)

I’ve been very very good at controlling my GAS lately so I should keep that going :lol:

Buuuut, as someone who’s interested in an AIO hardware workstation this might not be awful. MPC pads (same small ones as MPC One IIRC), extendable outputs/inputs via USB if you want to start sending mastering externally, awesome synth engines, top notch sampler, keyboard. And if you really hate the sequencer like I did, you can still control it all via MIDI.

I’m not sure if it makes me a hypocrite that I hate working in a DAW, but the idea of a hardware workstation (which is basically a single-tasking computer with knobs and a keyboard anyway) that can take synth plugins akin to VSTs sounds like it would be amazing.

If they made the plugin/instrument ecosystem open this would be a slam dunk.

I think Akai has plugins to replace almost everything in my stack except maybe the AIRA TB-3 I’ve fallen in love with. FM is there (or was going to be dropped when I was getting ready to sell my MPC One), I think simple additive is too? Sample packs to replace romplers, etc.

Anyway, thank gently caress its $2400 in Canada. Zero chance that’s an impulse buy in any universe I might exist in.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 1, 2022

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They use the same OS on all the standalone MPCs so the keyboard version will still be reliant on the touchscreen

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Speaking of.. still have my Mpc one for sale, last call before I throw it up offsite https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005107&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I think it's time to unveil my project. Freeze Pop is my tool for generating MIDI files, currently on version 0.1.2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vuagUwUtc

code:
import frzpop
from frzpop.notes import C4, D4, E4, F4, G4, A4, B4, C5
from frzpop.dynamics import f
from frzpop.phrases import make_plain_hunt

eighth = frzpop.freezers.make_freezer(note_len=1/2)

init_phrase = [[C5, f, eighth],
               [B4, f, eighth],
               [A4, f, eighth],
               [G4, f, eighth],
               [F4, f, eighth],
               [E4, f, eighth],
               [D4, f, eighth],
               [C4, f, eighth]]
phrase_generator = make_plain_hunt(init_phrase)

section = [phrase_generator for _ in range(16)]

frzpop.freeze_section(section, name="plain_hunt")
For this clip, all I had to write was the descending C scale. My phrase generator wrote the next fifteen bars according to traditional method bell ringing.

So Math fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 2, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

neat. are you just doing those bell patterns? or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

freeze pop forever