Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Right-wing media is just regularly threatening violence on random people they don’t like now to get what they want

https://twitter.com/jayrjordan/status/1540350056124907520?s=21&t=V3r0EJBOgjywAfLMf-dfpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Fox reporter describing how the scene was peaceful earlier but is somehow not now, ignoring the fact that people are just standing around chatting.
Saying that people are showing up in dark glasses and tactical gear, yet you dont see anyone like that.

https://i.imgur.com/HHToH3L.mp4

But the narrative must be pushed.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Jon Oliver's show is about politics and issues, the weekly format caters to this and gives them time to produce informative segments. The Daily Show and the Colbert Report were not, they are specifically critiques of the media, both directly and through parody/satire. They would pick out clips from the past couple days and riff on the topics of the hour.

It doesn't bother me that some people didn't get the joke with Colbert. It wasn't very many people, and if they weren't watching Colbert they'd probably be watching Hannity.
The problem with Colbert wasn't that people thought he was really a Fox News Conservative, it's that we all thought he wasn't a poo poo eating Hillery Clinton Neolib

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Lord works in mysterious ways

https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1540749140706988032

link to readable version: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1540749140706988032.html

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

War and Pieces posted:

The problem with Colbert wasn't that people thought he was really a Fox News Conservative, it's that we all thought he wasn't a poo poo eating Hillery Clinton Neolib

The real reason goons don't like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert is because they're ashamed at themselves for ever have liking them.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

It’s not just that they expect everyone else to die, it’s that they see it as important to bring on Armageddon so they can all go to,heaven.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I survived covid and all I got was this lousy t-shirt and deported to Israel to rebuild the temple to rez Jesus (then die and go to hell)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
jesus tapdancing christ what a piece of poo poo

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Jesus Christ talk about saying the quiet part out loud. Is there even a quiet part for these clowns anymore? I feel like there's no bottom to this and I'm genuinely filled with dread to see it all play out.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Star Man posted:

The real reason goons don't like Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert is because they're ashamed at themselves for ever have liking them.

Nah, I don't really have a problem with ever liking them. They helped push me leftward at a point where I was more centrist, and now they don't have anything to offer me

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I never want to give Cornyn the benefit of the doubt about anything but I *think* he’s using it as a good example of precedent being overturned like it’s a sick burn. Ignoring of course that this is a regression of rights and not an addition.

He’s just being a disingenuous shitheel, not necessarily calling for resegregation.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I think it can be both. He has the plausible deniability to complain about the woke liberal media when he gets called out publicly for being a racist, and it signals to his base that he's a racist without directly saying it.

The not directly saying it part is going to slowly evaporate over the next decade, I'd say as early as when the Republicans retake the White House in 2024. If you've never read an article in a newspaper in the pre-Civil Rights era (which coincidentally encompasses a huge chunk of US history) there was an insane amount of racism being printed.

As the right wing tightens its grip over everything and the Democrats continue to do nothing this language will be normalized once again in casual discourse. Absolutely nothing is off the table with the Supreme Court as it stands now, and resegregation is something that Southern states will jump at the nanosecond it becomes palatable. Undoing Plessy and Brown would give them the exact cover they would need to do it. It's telling that the right has been so laser focused on getting Federalist Society members on the Supreme Court. Once you can rewrite the law you can do anything you want, so long as the courts and state hold legitimacy.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

plessy vs ferguson has always been a big dogwhistle among pro-life people. pro-life people think that abortion is essentially an on-going genocide and they're the righteous few fighting to end it. their personal narrative has them being MLK, Frederick Douglass, those who resisted the Nazis etc

kik2dagroin posted:

I think it can be both. He has the plausible deniability to complain about the woke liberal media when he gets called out publicly for being a racist, and it signals to his base that he's a racist without directly saying it.

The not directly saying it part is going to slowly evaporate over the next decade, I'd say as early as when the Republicans retake the White House in 2024. If you've never read an article in a newspaper in the pre-Civil Rights era (which coincidentally encompasses a huge chunk of US history) there was an insane amount of racism being printed.

As the right wing tightens its grip over everything and the Democrats continue to do nothing this language will be normalized once again in casual discourse. Absolutely nothing is off the table with the Supreme Court as it stands now, and resegregation is something that Southern states will jump at the nanosecond it becomes palatable. Undoing Plessy and Brown would give them the exact cover they would need to do it. It's telling that the right has been so laser focused on getting Federalist Society members on the Supreme Court. Once you can rewrite the law you can do anything you want, so long as the courts and state hold legitimacy.

the average American school is already segregated. theres almost no racial diversity in our neighborhoods or schools. desegregation has already been effectively dismantled by the courts using malicious intent as the test to determine if illegal bias has occurred rather than disparate impact.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 26, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Levantine posted:

Jesus Christ talk about saying the quiet part out loud. Is there even a quiet part for these clowns anymore? I feel like there's no bottom to this and I'm genuinely filled with dread to see it all play out.

No he's really going after that idea that major precedents should never be overturned.

Which is definitely going to be the weaponized talking point against future cases trying to claw back Loving, Miranda, Gideon, etc.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Levantine posted:

I might have a little more hope of someone pulling back on the stick if the Business Republicans or even the Neo-Cons were still driving the bus over there, but with the new Trump faction in charge, yeah, we're gonna see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

I might have a little more hope of someone pulling back on the stick if the Business Republicans or even the Neo-Cons were still driving the bus over there, but with the new Trump faction in charge, yeah, we're gonna see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

All that plus Q is back to posting so we're in for a real wild time. Don't see much hope for the future just yet cuz God knows Joseph Robinette Biden Jr isn't exactly man of the people

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
even in the depths of culture war sadistic glee, they always find the strength to also be neoliberal ghouls

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I swear so much problems today are linked to artificial book balancing.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

duck.exe posted:

even in the depths of culture war sadistic glee, they always find the strength to also be neoliberal ghouls

babies, a thing that famously cost nothing after three months and can just be left alone to raise themselves, like a succulent.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://twitter.com/pjayevans/status/1539451812981264384?s=21&t=KsLO_MAAqZuW0ECOy4f_0g

Oh righties.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The right is starting to get better at comedy and it's making lefties nervous

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Shouldn't it be Healthy Bastard? I mean he's still a bastard.

Although if you think about it, bastard is actually a slur about parental marital status, so maybe we should care, but we don't.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Recently, I ran across a Seattle AM station that appears to be the Dollar Store version of talk radio, and it's spectacularly bad, since they're scraping somewhere under the bottom of the barrel for talent.

The closest thing they have to a "big name" is Dennis Prager (who sounds exactly like Garrison Kiellor really wanting to use the n-word), and the rest of their daytime programming is a mix of pre-recorded "shows" that are just paid ads for scams, people no one has heard of (who the gently caress is "Officer Tatum"?), and people like Sebastian Gorka and Charlie Kirk, where it's unclear why they have a radio show.

Apparently the station is owned by Salem Media, but I can't imagine it's actually profitable, since most of the ads are for other shows on the station, other Salem outlets or weird Christo-fascist propaganda, and there's almost zero advertising for businesses that actually bought ad space there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

azflyboy posted:

Recently, I ran across a Seattle AM station that appears to be the Dollar Store version of talk radio, and it's spectacularly bad, since they're scraping somewhere under the bottom of the barrel for talent.

The closest thing they have to a "big name" is Dennis Prager (who sounds exactly like Garrison Kiellor really wanting to use the n-word), and the rest of their daytime programming is a mix of pre-recorded "shows" that are just paid ads for scams, people no one has heard of (who the gently caress is "Officer Tatum"?), and people like Sebastian Gorka and Charlie Kirk, where it's unclear why they have a radio show.

Apparently the station is owned by Salem Media, but I can't imagine it's actually profitable, since most of the ads are for other shows on the station, other Salem outlets or weird Christo-fascist propaganda, and there's almost zero advertising for businesses that actually bought ad space there.

That's all talk radio now since anyone with a real audience under the age of 80 is either dead or is podcast-only. Guessing it's 770 KTTH which was the flagship station for Ben Shapiro and Michael Medved, the latter my dad was fond of.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

azflyboy posted:

We have that statiion too, and here they compete with the other right-wing radio show.
I know Prager is opposite Dan Bongino here, and then there's some bleed over as Kirk goes opposite Bongino and then one of them had Shapiro, but I think he got relegated to weekends.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right-wing media is just regularly threatening violence on random people they don’t like now to get what they want

https://twitter.com/jayrjordan/status/1540350056124907520?s=21&t=V3r0EJBOgjywAfLMf-dfpg

Jesse Kelly is a small fry compared to some of these people but he's one of the people I'd most want to see get his jaw rearranged.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/UnionDrip/status/1540538821418180608?s=20&t=eO8FdyWADqyMUV6BK2pBnA

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

You've fallen for parody. To me it's obvious from the tweet alone but you can also see it from his feed.

bartok
May 10, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Dennis Prager's big thing is thinking marital rape isn't a crime or even real.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I had to google who the gently caress "Officer Tatum" was after that post, and, lol

quote:

Police officer
After going undrafted in the NFL Draft, Tatum became a police officer in Tucson, Arizona. He rose to prominence in early 2016 for a viral video which featured him at a campaign rally for presidential candidate Donald Trump. Following the rally, he said in the video that he felt unsafe because of those who protested against the event.[3] He went viral a second time in September 2017 for a video in which he expressed his opposition to players "taking the knee" during the national anthem at NFL football games.[4]

Political commentary
Main article: Black conservatism in the United States
Tatum resigned from the Tucson Police Department in October 2017 to join Liftable Media — a conservative content producer that owns and operates The Western Journal and The Conservative Tribune. He then served as director of urban engagement for the conservative action group Turning Point USA, before founding his own media company in late 2019.[5]

He runs a YouTube channel called "The Officer Tatum"[6] with over 1.8 million subscribers. As of March 2022, he has accumulated over 326 million total views.

Tatum has also appeared as a guest on Candace Owens's PragerU show The Candace Owens Show as well as her The Daily Wire political podcast Candace as a panelist.

I loving hate you, Officer Tatum!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Dude’s been been a cop a few years. Just out of probation and FTO, and few years on patrol. Doesn’t even qualify for first step seniority at most police departments.

Yet he rides that poo poo hard like he is some all seeying eye with such a deep understanding. Calm the hell down dude, you were still first pick to work the holidays.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Republicans posted:

That's all talk radio now since anyone with a real audience under the age of 80 is either dead or is podcast-only. Guessing it's 770 KTTH which was the flagship station for Ben Shapiro and Michael Medved, the latter my dad was fond of.

I went and looked it up, and it's 1590 "THE ANSWER".

KTTH has the "famous" people like Dan Bongino, Medved, and Mark Levin, and they actually run ads for real businesses, so I'm convinced 1590 is part of some kind of money laundering operation.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Vahakyla posted:

Dude’s been been a cop a few years. Just out of probation and FTO, and few years on patrol. Doesn’t even qualify for first step seniority at most police departments.

Yet he rides that poo poo hard like he is some all seeying eye with such a deep understanding. Calm the hell down dude, you were still first pick to work the holidays.

He fits right in with the reservists pretending to be special forces, the nurses pretending to be virologists, and the corporate lawyers pretending to be constitutional scholars that make up the Right-Wing influencer community

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Was officer Tatum the one that went on debate panels where he kept using personal anecdotes when everyone else repeatedly reminded him that anecdotes aren't data and that they are talking about systemic problems wrt race and poverty? Then he got really mad nobody gave a gently caress about his experiences growing up?

If it is the same guy, his thesis seemed to be "democrats coddled black people, a race already prone to spontaneous acts of violence and baby making. I saw how much damage black people were putting upon themselves and decided to take personal responsibility to avoid making the same mistakes as other black people in my community. "

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

azflyboy posted:

I went and looked it up, and it's 1590 "THE ANSWER".

KTTH has the "famous" people like Dan Bongino, Medved, and Mark Levin, and they actually run ads for real businesses, so I'm convinced 1590 is part of some kind of money laundering operation.

1590 AM? That's the former frequency for KJET and the KZOK-FM simulcast. (Sorry about dating myself.)

Getting back to Dennis Prager, a local station used to broadcast his show before they dropped him for some other right-wing-radio-ranter back in 2019. I only heard bits and pieces of his program but it was still more judgmental self-righteousness and smugness than I could take. He seemed to be the type of person who could take an innocuous request and turn it into a display of a deep character flaw.

NDP fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 28, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Excuse me, but that’s Body Positive Bastard, sir.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently they went to a right wing talk format in 2010, and they also have a repeater on 1300.

Dennis Prager seriously sounds like he's doing his entire broadcast on quaaludes, and since the station runs a 3 hour "best of Dennis Prager" block from midnight to 3am, I assume they killed more than a few listeners who fell asleep at the wheel listening to him.

Looking at their schedule next to KTTH, it seriously is a "low rent" version of right wing talk, since they have a half-assed version of basically every popular conservative host.

KTTH has Dan Bongino as the token person of color, so they get "officer Tatum" . KTTH has Ben Shapiro as "oddly tiny racist", so they get Charlie Kirk, although only his face is oddly tiny. KTTH gets Mark Levin to scream incoherently about things, they get Sebastian Gorka. They don't have any actual local people, so those blocks get filled with hour long infomercials for real estate and investing scams.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Without fail, every time I hear the name 'Dennis Prager' I think of the BTK Killer (Dennis Rader). It wouldn't surprise me if they found a bunch of bodies in Prager's basement one day anyway.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

you know, i was hoping that roe being overturned would cause the most centrist-y rightwing, frat boy types to realize what they may have accidentally signed up for, but who knows any self-reflection will occur. i may have mentioned this before, but i had a roommate many years ago. high school friend, atheist (the first atheist i actually met in fact!), seemingly liberal and tolerant and such, etc. but one day we were with some friends and the topic of abortion came up and i was shocked to find out that he was against it. partly cause, like i mentioned, i figured he was a fairly liberal guy, but even moreso for the reason he stated he was against it: cause he said if the woman wasn't "responsible" then they deserved to be "punished" for it. i was taken aback. he didn't even try to argue it was about the safety of the baby or anything like that. for him it was entirely to punish the woman. and this was someone who had sex with tons of women.

obviously i don't expect his kind to support abortion cause of any noble feminist reasons, but if nothing else, you'd think self-interest would manifest itself. but i worry there are a lot of younger dudes, those that grew up on gamergate, especially, that are completely fine with this cause, even if they wind up suffering from it themselves, it's still worth it for the paramount goal that is owning the libs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They already hate women. Some fraction are on the way to trying to shoot a bunch of them in public right now.