Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Make the warpers ACTUALLY dangerous.

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some of these sound like the DeathRun mod I’ve posted about previously :getin:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Has their been any talk from them about apple silicon support? I am running the experimental build and it flys on my M1 Max but native is always better. I know they are doing a big revamp for the 2.0 build of both games, just didn't know if it was on their radar. I looked on their discord but didn't see anything.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

badjohny posted:

Has their been any talk from them about apple silicon support? I am running the experimental build and it flys on my M1 Max but native is always better. I know they are doing a big revamp for the 2.0 build of both games, just didn't know if it was on their radar. I looked on their discord but didn't see anything.

While the direct answer to your question is probably 'nothing' I can think of two reasons the expected answer should also be 'nothing':

1- Apple Silicon is still a teeny market share.
2- These devs are only now becoming competent.

Remember when they thought they needed the unity source code to remove terraforming from their game? Hilarious!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
do other discussion groups for this game obsess over "terraforming" showing up in dev notes a couple times or is it just the folks here

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

JawnV6 posted:

do other discussion groups for this game obsess over "terraforming" showing up in dev notes a couple times or is it just the folks here

There was a Whole Entire Thing about this during the Subnautica Early Access phase. The collective unconscious of the thread population still bears psychic wounds from those days...

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

Game used to have terraforming. It had a terraformer tool that you could use to move voxels from one place to another. Buildings used to terraform the environment when you placed them. Hell you could dig in the sand. Theres an early playthrough somewhere where someone just dug straight down to the lava castle.

The problem is it made save files massive (GB sized) and unstable, so they removed it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dyz posted:

Game used to have terraforming. It had a terraformer tool that you could use to move voxels from one place to another. Buildings used to terraform the environment when you placed them. Hell you could dig in the sand. Theres an early playthrough somewhere where someone just dug straight down to the lava castle.

The problem is it made save files massive (GB sized) and unstable, so they removed it.

thanks for the silly rehash of the discussion i was (quite clearly) aware of and a complete avoidance of the question I actually asked, did you have anything to add or did you just wanna mash the keyboard for a while

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

thanks for the silly rehash of the discussion i was (quite clearly) aware of and a complete avoidance of the question I actually asked, did you have anything to add or did you just wanna mash the keyboard for a while

:stare:

Well I had no idea about the whole terraforming stuff, and I thought the post was informative.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:stare:

Well I had no idea about the whole terraforming stuff, and I thought the post was informative.

I didn’t have any clue either, I’d heard of saves ballooning uncontrollably but didn’t realize that was one of the reason behind it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

You doing okay?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

T E R R O R - F O R M I N G

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

No it only happens here and we do it specifically because we hate you

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh this is the moron who got mad at someone using a swear word at him lmfao

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dyz posted:

Thank you! I never knew this was ever a mechanic!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's available as a mod right? Every one of those "giant base" videos people make on youtube has them terraforming everything.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's available as a mod right? Every one of those "giant base" videos people make on youtube has them terraforming everything.

Might be this one?

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/504

Disclaimer: I haven’t used it, that’s not a thing I was ever really interested in. If I want that I can go play something like Minecraft or 7 Days to Die :v:

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Dyz posted:

Thank you for the useful and interesting post.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Control Volume posted:

Oh this is the moron who got mad at someone using a swear word at him lmfao
such germane input to the discussion, incredible contribution

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thank you :angel:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The devs have added a seatruck dock in the experimental branch of Below Zero on pc
https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/vrr781/no_spoilers_loving_the_new_seatruck_dock_in_bz/

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Oasx posted:

The devs have added a seatruck dock in the experimental branch of Below Zero on pc
https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/vrr781/no_spoilers_loving_the_new_seatruck_dock_in_bz/

Oh, that's pretty sweet, thanks for the heads up! This video shows what it looks like in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Q6nLLHD3g, skip to about 6:20 to see them dock with a bunch of modules attached.

Unfortunately, right now it doesn't seem to do what I was kinda hoping from such a thing - give you an easy UI to remove, store, and re-attach the various modules while docked. But with this in place maybe something like that could be a future mod, or maybe in future updates.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Would be nice to be able to access all the loot you just came back with also.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

While there'll always be a bunch of little things that would be better-than-before stuff to have,

what I only really want is a new big map to explore and new big submarines to build -fashion!-
Can't wait for game 3.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So I finished Below Zero last week and I'm wondering where I must have missed some plot points:

So, Sam and Marguerite (try to) jointly blow up the Omega Lab and the Leviathan Cave, Marguerite succeeds and escapes, Sam fails and dies, along with Parvan. IIRC, Sam's girlfriend worked / lived / both at the biolab, so she was cool with her potentially dying for this? And what happened to the other bases, all of them (apart from Qoppa I guess) were also trashed. What happened to everyone else? I don't remember them mentioning going full terrorist on everyone?

Also, I completely forgot about the leviathan and curing it until I already beat the game and left with ALAN. I even went in the actual cave with the antidote and just somehow didn't see it through the lovely drone camera I guess. Sorry sis!

Other thoughts:

I preferred 1 over 2, mostly due to 1) the world feeling, or actually being bigger 2) the story in one naturally has more mystery although I thought ALAN was a pretty cool take on a... post-not-human alien 3) I loving loved the Cyclops but I get why people might not. Somebody needs to make a submarine trucking game loving stat.

And not the Seatruck, which isn't that bad but the fact that even the new dock still does that godawful detach thing is just criminal. Just make a docking hatch that points downwards directly into water for christ's sake.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 7, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm not gonna spoiler it, as game's been out ages and the plot isn't really why people play the game.

I think the idea was that the bombs went off when nobody was around like Marguerite's did, Sam's device just went off when Parvan caught her. It's very quickly glossed over in maybe a single voice entry, but corporate pulls the plug and evacs everyone.

The entire thing's very bolted together and a more mature ...product? (what's the name for a sub-aspect of a game?) would have reiterated the points to the player more. Really does feel the plot was mostly-done and then the ALAN stuff swooped in to replace it, dno why they scrapped it. Maybe they couldn't figure out how finding out about Sam results in the player leaving the planet?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At the very beginning of the game, you have a message from one of Sam's coworkers talking about how the entire Alterra project on the planet was shut down and evacuated in a hurry. So there's your answer about most of the stations, they just got shut down and the staff involved transferred.

If you want a more detailed explanation I think for whatever reason the mining operation wasn't showing the returns that Alterra wanted out of it, so they ended up focusing more on the viral research project instead, but when the research got destroyed and Robin's death drew a police investigation, Alterra just decided to pull out entirely. Not very good, but also to be expected when the plot writing did a couple major pivots during the game's development and writers were swapped out. You'd think that'd happen more often with these environmental storytelling games.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Pretty cool so far

Subnautica And The Terror Of Absolute Freedom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMjR7fkTYe0

quote:

Subnautica doesn't bill itself as a scary game - but if you've played it, you know that it can be just that. And one of the ways it creates terror is by giving you something that's not always present in other games - the absolute freedom to play it however you want to. In this video, we'll talk about why that works to create a truly fantastic experience.

Text/link from the video description
Link to research paper on 'the call of the void', or more scientifically, the 'high place phenomenon'
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165032711006847

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zzMisc posted:

Oh, that's pretty sweet, thanks for the heads up! This video shows what it looks like in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Q6nLLHD3g, skip to about 6:20 to see them dock with a bunch of modules attached.

Unfortunately, right now it doesn't seem to do what I was kinda hoping from such a thing - give you an easy UI to remove, store, and re-attach the various modules while docked. But with this in place maybe something like that could be a future mod, or maybe in future updates.

Honestly if anything that dock in its current state is arguably worse than just swapping power cells out, because it traps all the modules into that station's pipe so you can't even shuffle them around while the Sea Truck's recharging.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Latest Skillup video mentioned that the Subnautica devs are going to be revealing their new game next week at Gamescom. Would be great if it was Subnautica 2 but that seems unlikely based on comments they were making about the development of Below Zero, hopefully whatever they're making can recreate some of the magic of the first game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Latest Skillup video mentioned that the Subnautica devs are going to be revealing their new game next week at Gamescom. Would be great if it was Subnautica 2 but that seems unlikely based on comments they were making about the development of Below Zero, hopefully whatever they're making can recreate some of the magic of the first game.

I believe they're making a turn based strategy game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Wonder if theyll keep it in the same universe as the rest of their games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably an unpopular opinion but I did not find Subnautica scary at all. I guess there are moments where something pops out of nowhere that gives you a jolt, but the cartoonish graphics, goofy looking fauna and relatively non lethal game design never really felt spooky tbh.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I did not find Subnautica scary at all. I guess there are moments where something pops out of nowhere that gives you a jolt, but the cartoonish graphics, goofy looking fauna and relatively non lethal game design never really felt spooky tbh.

It's definitely a game that's scarier before you can see the wires. Once you figure out how easy it is to deal with Reapers as soon as you have the Seamoth alot of the dread goes but early game I found being anywhere in their roaring distance absolutely terrifying. And the first time the blood kelp theme started playing with inky black abyss around me in every direction I just ran straight home because the music sounded like I'd just been spotted by something that was going to chase me down and eat me

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

One of the mods I play with does 2 fun things:
-up the water murkiness
-increase the aggro range and behaviors and
everyone

It’s one thing to see the reaper in the distance roaring away harmlessly; you’re still safe there in the base game. When you hear the roar and it can come flying out of the murk from a longer range than you’d expect at literally any second, things are suddenly a little bit spicier :getin:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

One of the mods I play with does 2 fun things:
-up the water murkiness
-increase the aggro range and behaviors and
everyone

It’s one thing to see the reaper in the distance roaring away harmlessly; you’re still safe there in the base game. When you hear the roar and it can come flying out of the murk from a longer range than you’d expect at literally any second, things are suddenly a little bit spicier :getin:

Didn't they program the game so that the Reaper Leviathans use echolocation, meaning if you hear them, they see you?

Also, wasn't that something that started off as a bug and they ran with it?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Didn't they program the game so that the Reaper Leviathans use echolocation, meaning if you hear them, they see you?

Also, wasn't that something that started off as a bug and they ran with it?

They wrote that as lore, but mechanically, they roar occasionally at random, and roar when they start an attack run.

Just because you hear it doesn't mean it's about to aggro on you. But if it does aggro on you, you do hear it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The attack roar is (usually) alot more pissed off, rather than the passive roars you hear in the distance

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
They just presented their new (non-Subnautica) game at Gamescom, and the world is created by Brandon Sanderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6r_hPECh0

Oasx fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oasx posted:

They just presented their new (non-Subnautica) game at Gamescom, and the world is created by Brandon Sanderson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6r_hPECh0

And for anyone who wanted another Subnautica, we got that as well from another developer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiayFsYfUEw

Hard to make out what kind of game it will be from the trailer, I'm not sure if those structures indicate a base building element or if it's just prebuilt scenery. Looks intriguing at least.