Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/DavidOAtkins/status/1540386567822266368?s=20&t=mum6FJXhDEDJrZujXsPgUg

This guy gets it. More than anything else this decision and the decisions that are to come are going to lead to balkanization.

The big thing to take away from the civil war was that we are a union of states, and that union has not always been guaranteed or even strong. the policies promoted by originalism lead to the last civil war, they were the literal polices right before the civil war, and it's going to do it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
do you think if the federal government got out of all the nanny state bullshit they'd actually do their enumerated job and run the post office competently, or still nah?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Delta-Wye posted:

do you think if the federal government got out of all the nanny state bullshit they'd actually do their enumerated job and run the post office competently, or still nah?

The Post Office is already partially privatized.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1541012015535333377

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Balkanize how though? it's still mainly a rural vs. urban divide, so making groups of states into their own country doesn't really address that issue. There are definitely states that are bluer overall too though, basically the west coast, mid-atlantic, new england, and a few other pockets (my state MN, IL)

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ChrisLynnHedges/status/1541084661597835271?s=20&t=hqaBHwwcBvmF7DpXBGQhIw

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

actionjackson posted:

Balkanize how though? it's still mainly a rural vs. urban divide, so making groups of states into their own country doesn't really address that issue. There are definitely states that are bluer overall too though, basically the west coast, mid-atlantic, new england, and a few other pockets (my state MN, IL)

yeah there's more left leaning folks in texas that a hell of a lot of blue states, and more conseratives in california than a lot of red states, to say nothing of how a decent number of red states are only such because of the way that our carceral state disenfranchises large swaths of those states

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Azathoth posted:

yeah there's more left leaning folks in texas that a hell of a lot of blue states, and more conseratives in california than a lot of red states, to say nothing of how a decent number of red states are only such because of the way that our carceral state disenfranchises large swaths of those states

Easy, we'll just round up and bus all the lefties out of Texas and drop em in the nearest new Mexico or Colorado or whatever. Problem solved

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

Easy, we'll just round up and bus all the lefties out of Texas and drop em in the nearest new Mexico or Colorado or whatever. Problem solved

red states will send any citizen to the left of republicans out in boxes, not buses lol

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i feel like the ultimate goal isn't to have every state be a country unto itself it's to fracture the us enough that the republicans can write a new constitution and claim to be the real united states and any state not on board has gone rogue and try and act as though it's a moral duty of republicans in the state to bring it to heel or whatever. they just want to supplant the fed without having to worry about electing people.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Is it really just Republican fascism when it doesn't seem the opposition is significantly upset or is it just American fascism?

Likewise, if the US is willing to bomb some foreign country into dust for a vague objective, would it (DC and the US military), let the country balkanize politically?

I would argue this is just the way of things to come, arguably it is a growing form of fascism but one completely backed by the state.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Strange Poon posted:

i feel like the ultimate goal isn't to have every state be a country unto itself it's to fracture the us enough that the republicans can write a new constitution and claim to be the real united states and any state not on board has gone rogue and try and act as though it's a moral duty of republicans in the state to bring it to heel or whatever. they just want to supplant the fed without having to worry about electing people.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they are absolutely gonna do a new constitution if they can get 3/4ths of state legislatures on board

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Good lord. The cops are going to kill so many people at the Constitutional Convention riots.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Strange Poon posted:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Ardennes posted:

is it just American fascism?

yes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

balk thread was a darkhorse longshot for the thread all other threads would become in 2022 but here we are

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Things haven't even really got that bad yet, think where we will be in 10 years.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Real hurthling! posted:

balk thread was a darkhorse longshot for the thread all other threads would become in 2022 but here we are

i always dismissed it but now lool

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

merci joe biden :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1540737784234708994

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol cool. Being the most powerful international embarrassment ftw eat poo poo england

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Real hurthling! posted:

they are absolutely gonna do a new constitution if they can get 3/4ths of state legislatures on board

no they arent, thats why theyve spent 30 years packing the court with legal lunatics. writing a new constitution is hard, simply gutting the existing one to comply with their insanity is easier and Americans just have to eat it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ammanas posted:

no they arent, thats why theyve spent 30 years packing the court with legal lunatics. writing a new constitution is hard, simply gutting the existing one to comply with their insanity is easier and Americans just have to eat it.

Yes, they've gotten a bunch of lunatics to issue precedent. But the point is they won't stop there. they won't fail to "codify" lmao

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Delta-Wye posted:

What do you mean?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

new amendments minimum

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Brogeoisie posted:

Can we start a gofundme to collect money to buy all of their next door neighbors houses and blast an airhorn 24/7

oh i;ll blast them alright

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it will be much easier to dismantle the collaborator democrat party than to rewrite the constitution. it will just be a one party state, it's not like there's that much left they need to rewrite when the supreme court can decide what words mean

the nonviolence commitment they drilled into us for generations means the playing field is not that toasty for a civil war or insurrection

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the republicans would have to make a big error to make anyone nervous enough to fight the cops or military, and they've spent a long time making sure those institutions of violence are politically aligned with their party.

I think the only way they gently caress up is they will be too greedy and change too much too fast, and not coup when they lose a few presidential elections (they already "won" two that they lost recently and did a test coup last year so maybe)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

president macron, my country, america, yearns for freedom

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Shear Modulus posted:

lol we haven't ratified a constitutional amendment in 30 years and it was about how we pay Congress

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

lol we haven't ratified a constitutional amendment in 30 years and it was about how we pay Congress

I bet a conservative court would start it back up, in just the worst way.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

comrade macron my name is Bella Allen I live in Abilene, TX. my government is starving us they won’t give me reproductive healthcare rights. please send dassault rafale multi role fighter jet

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Theres a place called Chevy chase?

its actually called cornelius crane

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
It begins

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1541421786759413760?t=Gh6riK5jnAqTpLZ-eeWavA&s=19

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
time for an Islamic group prayer then after every Sunday football match see how they like it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

time for an Islamic group prayer then after every Sunday football match see how they like it.

they will violently attack and murder these people

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

speng31b posted:

they will violently attack and murder these people

time for american Muslims to conceal carry then that’s perfectly legal too.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1541423050440298503?s=20&t=EqVo9ddjwNUWXyF7ZtIRPA

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Why conceal? Open carry imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undecided Moderate
Jun 22, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

one group which the law protects but does not bind and another group which the law binds but does not protect

like, you can just amend "for white people" to every positive right ever enumerated at this point